• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

gallery_43137_2974_87996.jpg

Really, really nice - those mushrooms have a beautiful orange colour, and a very nice, almost flowery, taste.

:shock: Whoah...those mushrooms are so pretty! :shock: I've never seen anything like that!

I know! Looks almost magical -kind of like from LOTR :laugh:

Ehee - nope, definitely not from LOTR, but from a lovely conifer forest in the middle of tiny Estonia :laugh:

A couple of dinners that we've had recently...

Filipino Menudo Stew with beef, pork, carrots, potatoes, bell peppers and tomato sauce...

gallery_48583_3621_263085.jpg

gallery_48583_3621_81467.jpg

Tonight was a hearty soup of Nilagang Baka (Boiled Beef soup), the Philippine's version of Pot Au Feu.

gallery_48583_3621_80179.jpg

We usually serve this soup with a spice eggplant sauce (made with mashed boiled eggplants, squash, minced garlic, vinegar and salt & pepper).

gallery_48583_3621_306203.jpg

Of course, this is best eaten with hot steamed rice and fish sauce as a dip for the meat.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Domestic Goddess: Looks very homey and healthy as well :) What does it taste like?  I'm very much interested in Filipino food because I never had the chance to try it before.

Ce'nedra - the Menudo tastes tomatoey and very hearty. The Nilagang Baka soup taste very beefy. We eat it with the spicy eggplant sauce which cuts through the greasy taste of the soup and makes your mouth ready for the next bite. :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

monavano That mac and cheese looks so freaking delicious, not to mention the roast chicken. The zucchini may come in third, but it looks great too.

A couple of recent farmers' market dinners (gotta love tomato season, it's always sad to see it go.

First one is an appetizer. Your typical caprese with green zebras, red basil, and fresh mozzarella from the farmers' market.

gallery_49390_5228_769561.jpg

The next week was a salad of several different kinds of tomatoes (can't remember what), shaved zucchini, feta (definitely the best feta I've had), olive oil, and balsamic. Sorry about the poor picture quality.

gallery_49390_5228_185378.jpg

Last night's dinner was great. Monster bone-in ribeyes (from River Rock Farms at the Brookline Farmers' market) with a port/red wine sauce over sauteed kale with garlic, and potatoes sauteed in duck fat then tossed with parsley and chives. The potatoes didn't get anywhere near as brown as I would have liked, but they still tasted good. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with duck fat.

gallery_49390_5228_1299139.jpg

Edited by rwsweet (log)

Mona, lovely.

rwsweet,

beautiful farmers market dinners.

Lightly saute'd shrimp on rice w/ a small drizzle of ponzu.

gallery_48503_4919_979986.jpg

Along with a bastardized version of beef sashimi

gallery_48503_4919_881559.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

rwsweet: I guess you need that monster ribeye and duck fat potatoes to counterbalance those lovely farmer’s market dinners. :wink:

Tonight we made shrimp simmered in caramel sauce (click) and fried rice. Daikon-carrot pickle, eternal cucumbers, and tomatoes for sides; Chateau Ste. Michelle dry Riesling after dinner.

gallery_42956_2536_32640.jpg

nonblonde007: Those shrimps look gooood! For the ponzu sauce, did you make that from scratch or was it store bought? If made, how did you do it? :biggrin:

One day, without my parents at home, my sister and I decided to make good ol' Chicken and Corn pie.

I assume we made it 'family' style because it isn't all that 'attractive' :laugh:

Funny thing was, we didn't even make the pastry from scratch (I told my sister to buy some kind of pastry I forget it's name) but sis still managed to get the WRONG one. It turned out tasting fine in the end but still...I was furious at the time!

You can see there are holes...

gallery_56306_5160_30605.jpg

Oh and we ran out of pastry and I was running around doing a whole 360 going nuts...SO I finally thought...hey, maybe we can substuate milk/egg/breadcrumbs to make the topping? Result? Not as good as the orignal but hey, it worked...sort of :unsure:

gallery_56306_5160_15167.jpg

The 'better' pie well and done

gallery_56306_5160_41457.jpg

My slice :)

gallery_56306_5160_14158.jpg

A big chunk of chicken hanging out

gallery_56306_5160_82493.jpg

Our 'alternative' pie

gallery_56306_5160_79526.jpg

All in all, it was pretty darn delicious! :wub: Plus it was getting very late (we took ages to cook) and so we also very hungry...

Served it up with some nice Aussie tomato sauce :biggrin:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Just so those of us who are "cooking and photography" impaired, I offer my humble offering, in the hopes that while you "demi-Gods of eG" keep posting, the remainder of us mortal souls do too!

:biggrin:

Scallion Panckes... a dinner for one...

gallery_51818_5098_424373.jpg

J.

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Just so those of us who are "cooking and photography" impaired, I offer my humble offering, in the hopes that while you "demi-Gods of eG" keep posting, the remainder of us mortal souls do too!

:biggrin:

Scallion Panckes... a dinner for one...

gallery_51818_5098_424373.jpg

J.

That looks SO good right now....

...as do the dinners here. I come here and drool and dream of the day when I'm going to have time to cook something worth the time to take pictures and post it! You guys keep me going!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

DROOOOLLL  :blink:  :wacko:  :biggrin:

Aww...you are the BEST percyn! :raz:

Btw, would you by any chance know the recipe for this Indian dish named Fish Rasila ("barramundi fillets marinated in ginger, garlic and pot roasted in a traditional home-style curry sauce")?

I had it an this Indian restuarant and am in love with it! :wub:

Marcia:

If I can post those anemic scallion pancakes, you surely can post whatever you're cooking! :laugh:

This post should be for the everyday cooks amongst us as well as the superstars! (God bless the superstars for all the inspiration! :wub: )

Please post. I will too on a regular basis, ok? :wink

Edited: Stupid typos.

Edited by Jamie Lee (log)

Jamie Lee

Jamie Lee: Are those Korean pancakes? Looks lovely to ME! :)

I don't know! I just mixed flour, scallions, an egg, some water, lots of garlic... and cooked in a skillet with oil. (S&P, of course.)

Wish I would have browned them more... seems to be my culinary impairment... not letting things brown enough. I'm looking for a 12-step program to help me... :laugh:

Dipping sauce was "off the cuff" - soy, fresh lime juice, garlic/chili paste (sambal), fish sauce, hoisin sauce. (Sweet, Salty, Sour and Hot!)

YUM. Will do again. A cheap, non-exotic ingredient, dish, which should probably be an app, but for a single gal, makes a meal!

Jamie Lee

percyn: Gorgeous scallops :shock:

Jamie Lee: Are those Korean pancakes? Looks lovely to ME! :)

I don't know! I just mixed flour, scallions, an egg, some water, lots of garlic... and cooked in a skillet with oil. (S&P, of course.)

Wish I would have browned them more... seems to be my culinary impairment... not letting things brown enough. I'm looking for a 12-step program to help me... :laugh:

Dipping sauce was "off the cuff" - soy, fresh lime juice, garlic/chili paste (sambal), fish sauce, hoisin sauce. (Sweet, Salty, Sour and Hot!)

YUM. Will do again. A cheap, non-exotic ingredient, dish, which should probably be an app, but for a single gal, makes a meal!

Ahaha! Your own spin off? That's ok -looks just fine :biggrin:

Oh and don't worry -I'm a beginner cook myself (hey, I'm a uni student still living with her parents so there's less reason to cook lol!) and I feel very 'small' compared to everyone at eG. I too need exact, very PRECISE steps when cooking because I get easily confused, stuff up like crazy and have fairly low knowledge of all things to do with cooking in general :raz:

As you can see, all my post ups have been very simple meals lol.

First one is an appetizer.  Your typical caprese with green zebras, red basil, and fresh mozzarella from the farmers' market.

gallery_49390_5228_769561.jpg

I love this, with the funny colors. This has to be one of the coolest pictures ever.

I bet it was tasty too! Farmer's market dinners are awesome. :wub:

Bagel?

That's such a cute bowl, nonblonde007!

My dinner from last night was Salmon with Cajun Blackening Spices, Peter Gordon's recipe from Jill Norman's The Cook's Book.

Here are salmon pieces marinating:

gallery_43137_2974_18674.jpg

and here they are fried and ready to be consumed:

gallery_43137_2974_63857.jpg

Loved it - tasty and very exotic (hey, I'm in the north of Europe, and Cajun qualifies as extremely exotic here :rolleyes: )

It's Thanksgiving here, so a traditional turkey dinner with two different homemade cranberry sauces

gallery_6080_205_38836.jpg

And apple crisp with homemade vanilla bean ice cream. For the topping, I deviated from the usual oat topping and used toasted pecans, butter and flour instead.

gallery_6080_205_66169.jpg

Dom Perignon 1996 in the glass.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.