• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Marvelous looking burgers, Shelby.

Did you catch the name of the mustard seeded cheese? It looks like Y-Fenni, a Welsh cheese with mustard seeds in it.

Eskay thank you so much! I really appreciate you!

GTO Dang, I wish I would have. I will look this week when I go get groceries. Our local Dillons store has a surprisingly nice selection of cheeses and they always have this mustard kind.

The boys planned and made dinner tonight (with help from Mrs. C). After a few traumas, one of which required steri-strips, we had beef fillet kebabs with grilled fruits and veggies - mushrooms, red bell peppers, onions, and apples.

For dessert, younger son melted dark and light chocolate chips in the microwave, into which we dipped Granny Smith apple slices. Yum. Da boyz done good.

gallery_42956_2536_9176.jpg

This one is my favorite! My birthday dinner cooked for me by my fiance. Rainbow colored homemade pasta, lots of seafood (littlenecks, shrimp, scallops, chunks of salmon and tilapia), with a fish veloute and a basil cream sauce.  :wub: I really like sauce.  :biggrin:

I can see why he's your fiance :shock:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

This is actually a past dinner and it's also not my own cooking (doh!) but I just had to post this: my mum made a really delicious, warming Fish Congee the night before my sister left for o'seas (because congee is one of her's -and mine- favourite meal of all time) :wub:

gallery_56306_5160_9948.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_55482.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_27157.jpg

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

That congee looks so comforting, Ce'nedra.

Dinner last night was courtesy of Ky Hubby. He fixed his famous tender, juicy Fried Chicken.

gallery_48583_3741_15634.jpg

For dessert, I made one of my snacks/dessert... Boiled Peanuts.

The peanuts I bought was freshly harvested and it took a while (and lotsa water) to get them thoroughly rinsed.

gallery_48583_3741_186.jpg

My peanuts boiling in the salty water.

gallery_48583_3741_217110.jpg

They were heavenly! :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Domestic Godess, that chicken looks finger licking good. Oh my!

MiFi, I've got to try the Cibola sausage and beans. I'll hit them up at my nearby farmers market on Friday. And, I'm addicted to their "slim jims".

Last night was "Bouchon" cookbooks French Onion Soup

1437866755_d56db46f7b.jpg

Wendy, which cheese did you use for this? I'm in the middle of the lengthy process of carmelizing the onions for this soup!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here is yesterday birthday dinner for my daughter

Beef ribs

pulled pork butt

eggplant parm

baked ziti

tossed salad with balsamic dressing

cole slaw

macaroni salad

soft rolls and garlic bread

gallery_23695_426_260866.jpg

my plate

gallery_23695_426_469184.jpg

and cake

gallery_23695_426_444074.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

MiFi,

Where did you get those gorgeous sausages! You sure cooked them up to a wonderful color. You can taste the crispness of the skin just by looking at them.

Ribollita. We discovered that the first time we went to Tuscany. I liked it so much that I ordered it everywhere we went, even though it was June and on its way to being really hot. Every time I make it, I use a different recipe, because I haven't quite captured what I remember from Italy. The soups have all been very good, but I am still searching which is a lot of fun. What recipe did you use for your version of ribollita?

I now need to find sometihing to munch on. This thread is dangerous to look at right before a meal. Actually, it is pretty dangerous any time of the day. Grumbing stomach... mouth watering...

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Inspired by the comforting images of previous congee dinners, I made a huge pot of Arroz Caldo (Spanish for Chicken Rice Porridge). Rice porridge, also know as lugaw (Filipino), jook (korean), congee (chinese), etc ranks as a top comfprt food that actually makes a sick stomach feel better. It de-clogs a stuffy nose, makes one sweat one's fever away, and drives away the chill in one's bones in a cold rainy, day.

My pot of Arroz Caldo.

gallery_48583_3621_95966.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Inspired by the comforting images of previous congee dinners, I made a huge pot of Arroz Caldo (Spanish for Chicken Rice Porridge). Rice porridge, also know as lugaw (Filipino), jook (korean), congee (chinese), etc ranks as a top comfprt food that actually makes a sick stomach feel better. It de-clogs a stuffy nose, makes one sweat one's fever away, and drives away the chill in one's bones in a cold rainy, day.

My pot of Arroz Caldo.

gallery_48583_3621_95966.jpg

Ahhh It just looks so good!! Between your Arroz Caldo and Congee from Ce'nedra I am tempted to make some myself, but I promised DH we would have some type of pork tacos...Hmmmm :unsure:

Make extra pork to serve on congee tomorrow :smile:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks Brenda! mmmm....crab!!

Last night we started with skordalia with spinach added

1428079619_a802f548e8.jpg

then we made turkish spiced lamb "pizzas" and caprese. the caprese used on of the largest heirloom tomatoes I have ever seen!  :blink:

1428079627_1ab7cccd87.jpg

1428079633_a4d24a0800.jpg

I've been craving some of those spicy lamb pizzas ever since you posted this delicious set of photos :smile: Can we have the recipe for the spicy lamb mixture and the skordalia??

MiFi,

Where did you get those gorgeous sausages! You sure cooked them up to a wonderful color. You can taste the crispness of the skin just by looking at them.

Ribollita. We discovered that the first time we went to Tuscany.  I liked it so much that I ordered it everywhere we went, even though it was June and on its way to being really hot. Every time I make it, I use a different recipe, because I haven't quite captured what I remember from Italy. The soups have all been very good, but I am still searching which is a lot of fun. What recipe did you use for your version of ribollita?

I now need to find sometihing to munch on. This thread is dangerous to look at  right before a meal. Actually, it is pretty dangerous any time of the day. Grumbing stomach... mouth watering...

Those are local, pasture raised pork sausages from Cibola farms, and they are fantastic. The Ribollita recipe is a conglomeration for me these days - a good way to use up leftover homemade bread and fall ingredients. I tend to base it off of the first recipe I used years ago from the Union Square Cookbook. Good pancetta, good quality stale bread (I use up to 4 or 5 days old - again you couldn't do that with commercial bread), and a good slick fruity olive oil and a handful of pecorino make the difference. Cheers.

MiFi, those sausages and the tomatoes are fabulous looking!

Bruce, the boys did you good! Be proud!

Fall veggie and shank soup. Hearty and satisfying.

gallery_48503_4919_311604.jpg

Followed by warm apple crisp smothered with heavy cream.......yuuuummmm!

gallery_48503_4919_277402.jpg

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Fall veggie and shank soup.  Hearty and satisfying.

That delicious soup looks inspired by the Pot au Feu topic. Was the cauliflower in from the beginning or a late addition? I'm curious about cruciferous vegetables in a long slow cooking application.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Michelle, as a matter of fact, the soup Is from the Pot au Feu cook-off! This was meal #5 from that big ol pot. I realy don't care for cauliflower if overcooked, I added that, some fresh carrots, tomatoes and the turnip for about the last half hour of cooking when making this soup, not in the original pot. and Thank you.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!