• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Just posted this in the Vietnamese Food thread but I shall do it again here :)

Vietnamese crepes (banh xeo)

Doing the flip

1134937775_5f1e86c1e1_o.jpg

This one's done  :smile:

1135770514_2d03c2799c_o.jpg

Ta da! Some more  :biggrin:

1135793910_ae0d971ba6_o.jpg

OMG I love banh xeo!! I would love your recipe if you could PM me or post it in recipe gullet??? :wub:

percyn- i actually said when I served it to dayne that I hadn't made anything really pretty for a while i felt! thanks!

Dinner at my mum's place again tonight. Clockwise from top - Poached Chicken, Steamed dover sole, lobster thermidor (my contribution because they've never tried it before), choi sum, Roast Duck & Char Sui and Prawns & Scallops in tomato sauce.

gallery_52657_4505_240204.jpg

Massive meal because it's my bro's birthday!

Dinner at my mum's place again tonight.  Clockwise from top - Poached Chicken, Steamed dover sole, lobster thermidor (my contribution because they've never tried it before), choi sum, Roast Duck & Char Sui and Prawns & Scallops in tomato sauce.

gallery_52657_4505_240204.jpg

Massive meal because it's my bro's birthday!

What a truly beautiful meal. It's so Joy Luck Club :wink: .

from sometime last week chorizo and beef stuffed peppers, and zucchini

gallery_23695_426_156944.jpg

and tonights killer sausage, eggplant and meatball sicilian style pizza

gallery_23695_426_67267.jpg

gallery_23695_426_271701.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

This was for John.  Pan fried salmon with a glaze of honey, lime and tamari sauce.  The veg was zucchini and yellow squash with onion and a ton of white pepper and olive oil.

Crusted chicken breast with white sweet potatoes and yellow beans in a dill and garlic hollandaise.

gallery_403_5180_498829.jpg

I have to ask if the Pac Man shaped potatoes are intentional? :raz:

lisa, i didn't even notice them... no, not intentional but a blemish in the last of the white sweets from the farmers market so i just nicked the blemish out of each slice. but hey, if it would get him to eat more....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tracey: Chorizo-stuffed peppers – where do I sign up?

Prawncrackers: *cough* And your mum’s address is?

Tonight we made shrimp and ginger soup, a lon of minced prawns simmered in coconut cream, jasmine rice, and sliced cukes. Grownups liked, boys not so much. Pictures did not turn out well – if you must see them, click on the Thai Cooking at Home thread.

Vietnamese crepes (banh xeo)

Those look delicious !! I would have this for breakfast too.

LMF, the duck dish could pass for being served in a fine dining restaurant.

I surely wouldn't mind having it for breakfast either :raz:

OMG I love banh xeo!! I would love your recipe if you could PM me or post it in recipe gullet??? :wub:

Sure, I'll PM it to you :) Just wait a moment because my recipe is really just a scribble on a piece of paper atm. I'll give it to you soon :wink:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Rooftop, I love stuffed cubanell peppers. I haven't made this in a long while, but I used to stuff them with HOT sausage, cook in marinara and finish under the broiler with mozzarella.

:biggrin: I put the cheese inside this time...I like these peppers much better that bell peppers, less pepper more stuffing

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Rooftop, I love stuffed cubanell peppers. I haven't made this in a long while, but I used to stuff them with HOT sausage, cook in marinara and finish under the broiler with mozzarella.

:biggrin: I put the cheese inside this time...I like these peppers much better that bell peppers, less pepper more stuffing

tracey

Totally on board with that!

Last night's dinner probably should go in the "Regrettable" category, but it tasted really good when your in the mood for comfort food.

Tuna melts with Zesties fries.

gallery_24065_1826_924601.jpg

Tonights dinner was not photo worthy but OMG was it good. Yesterdays Marathon of cooking included starting some stew meat browning.

After the meat was good and brown I added a chunked up onion and 3 smashed cloves of garlic, 4 tbl spoons of paprika and 1 quart of beef stock. After a few hours it went into the fridge for tonight.

Tonight I cooked some spaetzl while I sauteed some fresh onions and mushrooms and reheated the stew on top of them, added 1 more spoon of paprika and 2 big spoonfuls of sour cream. Served over the spaetzl

:wub:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

Last night's dinner probably should go in the "Regrettable" category, but it tasted really good when your in the mood for comfort food.

Is that plastic cheese on them there tuna melts? I want some! (The cheese, not the tuna melt. I have not yet discovered the attraction of tuna melts.) I sometimes get cravings for plastic cheese. It's not something we had a lot of when I was growing up (my mother hates the stuff), but whenever I went baby-sitting, I'd always sneak a piece of plastic cheese out of the fridge to snack on!

Is that plastic cheese on them there tuna melts? I want some! (The cheese, not the tuna melt. I have not yet discovered the attraction of tuna melts.) I sometimes get cravings for plastic cheese. It's not something we had a lot of when I was growing up (my mother hates the stuff), but whenever I went baby-sitting, I'd always sneak a piece of plastic cheese out of the fridge to snack on!

It is plastic cheese! I have"back up" food in my kitchen. When the deli sliced cheese runs out, I usually have plastic cheese backing it up. When the good grating cheese (parm, pecorino) runs out, I usually have the green can to back it up :shock: .

The funny thing with this picture is that The plasticness of the cheese wasn't apparent until I saw it in picture, and laughed hysterically.

And I call myself a foodie....

It is plastic cheese! I have"back up" food in my kitchen. When the deli sliced cheese runs out, I usually have plastic cheese backing it up. When the good grating cheese (parm, pecorino) runs out, I usually have the green can to back it up :shock: .

I use the green can when my sauce isn't very good. At least 1/4 cup of the green can on anything, and it's edible. Why waste my good parmesan on bad pasta?

The funny thing with this picture is that The plasticness of the cheese wasn't apparent until I saw it in picture, and laughed hysterically.

And I call myself a foodie....

Plastic cheese has its place in the food world! Like that plastic cheese sauce for nachos that you can get at convenience stores. That stuff rocks!

I wouldn't mind a slice right now, but plastic cheese in Japan just doesn't taste the same. You know, I like plastic cheese straight out of the fridge, but when melted, it really does look a bit too much like plastic to me. I can't eat it melted (unless it's plastic nacho cheese sauce, which doesn't look quite so plastic-y).

Lots of older dinners I haven't had a chance to post yet:

gallery_27774_4921_31269.jpg

Tomato stuffed with breadcrumbs and lots of parsley and cheese

gallery_27774_4921_445030.jpg

Fried zucchini. Just a flour and water batter, lots of lacey crunchy bits on the edges... :wub: It was much prettier in person, with the dark green of the skin peeking through those lacey bits. I have to learn how to take pictures...

gallery_27774_4921_709395.jpg

A really crappy dark picture of what was a really tasty meal...roast pork loin with fennel seed and garlic, gratin dauphinois, honey glazed carrots.

gallery_27774_4921_511733.jpg

Another crappy picture of another tasty meal. Red cooked pork shoulder, cabbage stirfried with garlic and ginger, brown rice

gallery_27774_4921_692819.jpg

This one is my favorite! My birthday dinner cooked for me by my fiance. Rainbow colored homemade pasta, lots of seafood (littlenecks, shrimp, scallops, chunks of salmon and tilapia), with a fish veloute and a basil cream sauce. :wub: I really like sauce. :biggrin:

Bagel?

Ok, so I don't know how many fans of liverwurst there are here, but this was SO good.

Liverwurst with cheese before dinner.

The cheese on the left is a mustard cheese--you can see the mustard seed there. It's very earthy and mustardy--really good. The cheese on the right is an aged Comte cheese. I'm definitely NOT a cheese expert, but after a bite of the Comte I was hooked. Had tastes of butterscotch and butter...SO good

gallery_54689_4781_900495.jpg

And another comfort food that many might hate --a crock of fresh made pimento cheese OMG so good

gallery_54689_4781_202281.jpg

And, finally, venison burgers topped with, yes pimento cheese!

gallery_54689_4781_792645.jpg

Sweet Shelby, I dearly crave the recipe for the Pimento Cheese. I had a great one, but I has a house fire and lost a gazillion cookbooks quite a few years ago, and needless to say, there went that recipe! Pleas either PM me or better yet, put it in Recipe Gullet! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Shelby, yum, not had Lieberwurst in years! Can't really get it in the UK, last time was in Germany - delicious. But what the heck is pimento cheese?

To compliment your venison burger here is my ostrich burger tonight:

gallery_52657_4505_161603.jpg

gallery_52657_4505_491428.jpg

Judiu SO sorry to hear about your fire. I bet that was an absolute nightmare.

Embarrassingly enough, I bought this from Zingerman's. It's honestly the best I've ever had! It's spicy and cheese-y Seriously, I could eat the whole crock right now.

I've made it before, but I never measured :unsure: I like to do it in my food processor. Extra sharp grated cheddar cheese, a couple of dollops of mayo, a bit of cream cheese, jar of pimentos, fresh cracked pepper, dash of Lawry's salt, dash of garlic, dash of cayenne pepper. I like diced jalapeno in it , too.

Prawn I've never had ostrich, but I've heard it's really good. I didn't realize it looks just like beef! Pimento cheese is a southern thang! :biggrin: Really good on bread or on celery sticks.

Shelby that cheese plate looks like something I could eat all myself, in one sitting! I haven't had liverwurst since I was small, but I do recall that I liked it, and I love mustard-flavoured things :wub:

Also loving the various nonstandard burgers.

I made roast beef for dinner, with roasted potatoes and carrots, but I put in the vegetables too late so I had meat first and then the vegetables :raz: Ah well, it all tasted good, and I'm looking forward to roast beef sandwiches later this week (I also baked bread today)

Yesterday's dinner was chicken thighs stuffed with mushrooms and cheese, which were pretty meh, and roasted green beans with walnuts, which was awesome. I love roasting vegetables, it makes anything taste amazing--but I haven't tried cauliflower yet!

Kate