• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Lucylou, Wow! Who needs the pasta.

Mona, beautiful shot.

Domestic Goddess, Welcome back, I missed your posts! Delish looking cobbler, one of my faves.

Bruce, perfectly done steak, :wub:

I love pho. The last of my stock, will have to start on some more today. Burried under all the greens and such, (must have Lots of greens) tripe, tendon and flank.

gallery_48503_4919_976813.jpg

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

nonblonde007: I love pho too! Lucky for me, even though I'm (mostly) ethnic Chinese, my parents were born in Vietnam and so my mum knows how to cook both Vietnamese and Chinese dishes.

Personally, I find that nothing beats pho at home. It never tastes the same when you eat it at restaurants.

Here's our home pho. I helped my mum cook it so unfortunately I can't take all (or even most) of the credit :raz:

Before adding sauce

gallery_56306_5160_26796.jpg

After the addition of sauce...mmm... :wub:

gallery_56306_5160_22649.jpg

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Last night was pork sirloin cutlets cut into strips, panseared and finish with bottled char siu sauce and left to reduce. Served with rice and rainbowchard dressed with toasted garlic and sesame seeds

gallery_23695_426_379400.jpg

not bad for not being properly grilled

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Bruce, perfectly done steak,  :wub:

I love pho.  The last of my stock, will have to start on some more today.  Burried under all the greens and such, (must have Lots of greens)  tripe, tendon and flank.

gallery_48503_4919_976813.jpg

Brenda: Thank you, and dang, I bet your pho smelled amazing with all of those aromatic greens! Note to self - learn to make pho.

The boys had a basketball clinic until 8:00 tonight, so I had grand plans for an elaborate Thai dinner. Unfortunately, I had to work very late so we made our fallback meal - spaghetti and meatballs. We had a basket of banana chiles and mild Kashmiri chiles so I adapted a David Thompson's recipe. Crush the chiles and char them black in a dry wok, add oil and garlic paste, simmer with chicken stock, oyster sauce, Chinkiang vinegar, and palm sugar, thicken with potato flour, and then finish with white pepper, light soy, and cilantro. Not very photogenic but definitely a keeper.

oh I love that Tyler meatball recipe! It's so decadent and yours looks fab- well done!

mmmmm...lots of bowls of comfort going on here!

Thanks Wendy and Monovano! They were quite yummy without missing the breadcrumbs in it too. Yes, the cheese makes it quite tasty. I think the thing that makes these so good is that they are HUGE! One will fill you up and the sauce I made is very "bright" as I like to say, not overloaded with a bunch of spices and stuff, so you get the tomato flavor, but can really fall in love with the meatball......I just had another one, excuse me. :wub:

Congee with a bit of miso, chanterelle mushrooms, chicken breast, rice wine vinegar, red chili paste, and green onions.

gallery_21326_5025_109360.jpg

It was my first time making congee. Well, I'd made it overnight (erm... sorta, as I went to bed at four am) in my crockpot, had some with brown sugar and syrup for breakfast. Kept it warm all day in the crockpot (had set it on eight hours/slow) and fixed it up for dinner. My husband had never eaten congee before. He liked it. Score. :biggrin:

Edited to add: sorry for the crappy pic. It was taken with my cell phone cam, as my digital camera's batteries were dead. :hmmm:

Edited by Misa (log)

Misa

Sweet Misa

Dinner tonight was Focaccia

gallery_23695_426_233410.jpg

I made one just Malden Sea Salt

one with tomato, steamed onions, sea salt and cacciavela cheese

and one half sea salt and - half cheese and onion

gallery_23695_426_450500.jpg

with tomato salad to dunk in

gallery_23695_426_25128.jpg

and some steaks because my husband might not understand having bread for dinner....now he would :wub:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I've been doing some last of the Summer type dishes before our weather turns cold and I get into more wintery type cooking.

Grilled duck breast, mashed potatoes and a fresh succotash with our last of the season sweet corn. Sorry, no fresh lima beans up here so I used frozen. I suppose I cheated a bit on the succotash because I added some sauteed bacon.

gallery_41580_4407_19999.jpg

Last night I made some Walleye. We have a commercial Walleye fishery in the Columbia River but it isn't in season right now so I bought some frozen Walleye. It was just fine-very soft and buttery. I think Walleye has much more flavor than most white fish. I served it with potato puree, green beans sauteed with fennel, a 'tomato jam' I made from my smoked tomato recipe and then a sauce of butter, olive oil and fish stock. Turned out pretty good.

gallery_41580_4407_26442.jpg

Tonight we made avocado-mango salad with Gorgonzola cheese, bacon, and toasted pine nuts, adapted from Mexican Everyday and served over Romaine lettuce. The dressing was garlic and Serrano chile, browned in bacon grease and blended with lime juice, honey, and toasted pine nuts. Soooo good, but the avocados were definitely not picture-worthy.

The boys cooked eggs for themselves – dry omelet for the elder, cinnamon sugar omelet for the younger. Eternal cukes.

C. sapidus: How was the chicken curry? It looks full of flavour -yum! :wub:

I'd love to have the recipe! :raz:

David Ross: Your duck breast looks so crisp my mouth is watering...I've always been afraid of cooking with duck so I look at anyone who's tried it in awe :wub: Even when I've tried cooking 'duck' recipes, I've always replaced it with chicken...I know...I'm bad...

Your Walleye meal loves divine! Do you think I could have the recipe for it? And is there any good substitutes for Walleye fish?

MobyP: Those sure look professional...I'm not even going to ask for the recipe because it looks way out of my range :unsure:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Speaking of comfort food...I made these leek böreks with çökelek cheese (a slightly tangy curd cheese). I used ready made yufka (like phyllo but slightly thicker and tenderer), brushed with a mixture of yogurt and olive oil, then rolled up the leek/cheese mixture and rolled that into a spiral. Topped with beaten egg and a bit of nigella seed. Almost good enough to eat, as my mom would say. ;)

gallery_38081_3012_10958.jpg

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

C. sapidus: How was the chicken curry? It looks full of flavour -yum! :wub:

I'd love to have the recipe! :raz:

Ce’nedra: Thank you, the chicken curry had an intoxicating array of flavors and textures, with red curry paste, shredded ginger and kaffir lime leaves, crunchy peanuts, palm sugar, and a large handful of fragrant holy basil. With two cups of cracked coconut cream, it was not “light” :rolleyes: – a small portion of the rich curry was quite satisfying.

Check your mailbox - I sent you a PM with the recipe. Enjoy!

David Ross: Your duck breast looks so crisp my mouth is watering...I've always been afraid of cooking with duck so I look at anyone who's tried it in awe :wub: Even when I've tried cooking 'duck' recipes, I've always replaced it with chicken...I know...I'm bad...

Your Walleye meal loves divine! Do you think I could have the recipe for it? And is there any good substitutes for Walleye fish?

MobyP: Those sure look professional...I'm not even going to ask for the recipe because it looks way out of my range  :unsure:

Thank you for the kind comments. I'll write you with some details on the recipes and some tips for cooking duck.

I had actually planned on make the fish dish with Chilean Sea Bass, but I didn't get to my fish market-the only store in town that sells that type of Sea Bass. Walleye is a white fish that is buttery in flavor with soft meat. I've also done this recipe with Halibut. I would avoid strong flavored fish like Salmon because the butter sauce is pretty delicate. I'll write you with details on this recipe too.

Tomato salad with fresh made croutons

gallery_54689_4781_1469852.jpg

Shredded venison sandwiches.

These are so good. I threw a venison roast in the crock pot along with dry onion soup mix, a can of beer, a can of beef broth, fresh banana peppers and onions. I seasoned the roast with garlic and the usual spices.

gallery_54689_4781_783468.jpg

Stewed turkey and veggies

gallery_54689_4781_43974.jpg

Plated with rice

gallery_54689_4781_628809.jpg

I had a craving for French bread yesterday

gallery_54689_4781_127294.jpg

I love my bread "pan". I grease it and sprinkle cornmeal on before placing the loaves

gallery_54689_4781_995120.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_525032.jpggallery_54689_4781_516550.jpg