• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

That looks great!!!!! Especially at $10 a head.  Looks enjoyable.  Were you worried at any point with that budget?  I woudn't know where to start with so little money.

Allan

You'd be surprised at what you can do with that amount and it's a whole lot easier with a well-stocked pantry. There's going to be nothing huge portion wise: all seasonal (and local) fruits and vegetables, and your proteins are generally interesting selections that you're going to have to transform into something really tasty.

Most of my budget went to acquiring fish.

A rare post lately for me, to the dinner! thread.

Ham steaks with bourbon butter, glazed carrots and potatoes dauphonaise

gallery_6080_205_176694.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

allan -

maybe a hit of 30 minutes at a high hear for a crisper skin?  what kind of cheese did you have on the beet salad - goat or feta?

lunfortunately john can't stand beets so if i see them out  - especially salad i go for it.

Suzilightning,

Yeah, I can't figure out if I did something differently than usual or if it's the bird. Next time I get a bird from this farm I'll try a higher heat somewhere in the process. On the beet salad is goat cheese and a walnut dressing (forgot to get walnuts to toast for the salad). Too bad for John (your SI?) not liking beets. Most people I make roasted beets for don't think they'll like them even before they've tried them, but thats because the last time they had them was from a can.

Allan

Start it off at 500 and make sure it's coated in oil. Turn it down to 375 after the skin gets some nice color. Baste every 15 minutes.

Thai tonight: “barbecued” chicken thighs (actually baked and then grilled); cucumber salad with tamarind and garden tomatoes; and coconut rice. The boys and a visiting friend scarfed it all down enthusiastically. More on Thai cooking at home.

gallery_42956_2536_26932.jpg

Last night I made chopped meat using the Mark Bittman method - cutting into chunks and pulsing in food processor - excellent results. Season and chilled and threw on the grill for bacon cheeseburgers. I used a boneless chuck roast for the meat.

Night before I pan roasted a turkey london broil (boneless skinless breast) I start on top of the stove and finish in the oven to keep it moist. I make a pan gravy/buerre blanc with pan drippings and apple cider vinegar. My husband calls it "buerre not so blanc". On the side I had a Near east whole grain thingy with bulgur and brown rice (bought this a long time ago- don't know why and wanted to use it up) to which I folded in arugula and blue cheese after cooking. I love greens folded into warm grains.

In hindsight serving buerre blanc with blue cheese in the side dish was a bit rich - but yummy! I'll have to start photographing dinners as well as breakfasts!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

That looks incredible. Is it really as simple as outlined in your blog? no onions? no garlic? just those couple of ingredients?

Hi Jensen - you will find the full recipe when you click on the link at the bottom of the post under "recipes" . No onions, but I did use a couple cloves of garlic!

Haven't had time to post lately and then my computer was in the shop!

Last night was a farmers market dinner!

cornbread with ricotta and zebra tomatoes

1373348442_e247e2c7dd.jpg

then pork shoulder chops with blackberry sauce and warm chanterelle salad with frisee

1373348454_d73d1cab21.jpg

I've not cooked anything for a whole week now :shock: , due to this that and other. But i've been to my mum's tonight so i thought i'd share what we've just had here on the Dinner! thread for the first time. Steamed sea bass, poached chicken, spare ribs in plum sauce, choi sum and mixed stir fried green beans with fish cake. Simple authentic Cantonese home cooking:

gallery_52657_4505_7231.jpg

DesertCulinary, I made your soup tonight for dinner. Well, I made my adaptation of it; that means I glanced at the ingredients and then tried to remember them when I was in the kitchen. I did pretty well; I may have used more tomatoes, I used black beans, and it was topped with yogurt instead of sour cream. I also just followed my own method, mostly because I have a problem with authority :laugh::laugh:

It turned out to make a lovely, light dinner. (My picture didn't turn out because I used my little camera and it's a bit of an over-achiever when it comes to flash photography.)

Thanks for the idea!

an over exposed :hmmm: salad of garden yellow and orange tomatoes, a supermarket red tomato, cucumber, and fresh mozz with home grown basil puree

gallery_23695_426_5900.jpg

and a big bowl of New Zealand Green Mussels and Shrimp with tons of slivered garlic, 1 dried chile, 4 sichuan peppercorns, white wine, butter and shrimp stock

Served with toast ummm spears ....for some I didnt think it was going to be spicy I guess I bought some fresh peppercorns :cool:

gallery_23695_426_158353.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The carrots look perfect!  How did you glaze them?  Looks like you got great caramelization.  Did you add any sugar or honey to the braising liquid?

Sorry, I missed this! The liquid is equal parts, honey, bourbon, water and butter. The recipe is courtesy of one of my members, and I use 1/4 cup of each and toss in a saute pan until the liquid is basically reduced and the carrots are glazed.

Tonight's dinner was a new short rib recipe for me, plus green beans tossed in lemon garlic butter with toasted almonds and crispy potatoes

gallery_6080_205_38973.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Rigatoni and meatballs.

gallery_24065_1826_1110003.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_430498.jpg

I used 80% lean ground beef, fresh bread crumbs, grated parmesan, fresh parsley, milk, water and spices. They were gently combined and first baked in a 350 degree oven, then braised in marinara on the stove top.

Turned out very tender and best of all, there are lots of meatballs leftover!

I used 80% lean ground beef, fresh bread crumbs, grated parmesan, fresh parsley, milk, water and spices....

Lovely looking meatballs monavano, what spices did you use? I definitely fancy making these for myself.

The brown crabs at the moment are so fat with roe i just can't resist them! You know i love my fresh crab and I know you all like my Crab linguine, so enjoy :biggrin: :

gallery_52657_4505_397502.jpg

I roasted a chicken :biggrin: My first time doing it without 'adult supervision' anyway. It is now in pieces in my fridge/freezer, and the carcass and extra bones are in the freezer waiting to be made into stock later this week. Another milestone passed! :raz:

Kate

I love monavano’s meatballs and prawncrackers’ crab linguine.

Eskay - congratulations on the roast chicken!

Tonight we enjoyed fried egg soup with pork, Napa cabbage, scallions, lots of fish sauce, and fried onions and garlic (from True Thai).

gallery_42956_2536_23290.jpg

Stir-fried flounder with chile-tamarind paste, thinly-sliced rhizome (krachai), Thai basil, kaffir lime leaves, and plenty more fish sauce. Pretty spicy, so the jasmine rice came in handy.

gallery_42956_2536_47269.jpg