• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Somewhere back up-thread somebody suggested that individual mussels might be used for ravioli. I apologise to the poster for not being able to find the suggestion but I just wanted to say I did it.

I had mussels cooked in wine on Tuesday and as there were so many (my wife doesn't care for them) I saved about half. I strained the cooking liquid and stored it in the refrigerator

Tuesday's dinner

gallery_50527_4885_38157.jpg

Then on Wednesday, I made ravioli. For me even using a pasta roller machine is an arduous task :sad: But what the hey, one has to suffer to get the good things in life, right? By the way, I used Mario's recipe for basic pasta.

On Thursday I reduced the liquid to half, about one cup, and added some crushed garlic. Made a roux, then added the mussel liquid and finally some cream. Waaay too salty. I had to rescue it somehow so I added a spoonful of sugar and a splash of marsala.

Cooked the ravioli in boiling water until al dente and then added them to the sauce.

It was fine but next time I think I'll make the sauce without the cooking liquid

Thursday's dinner

gallery_50527_4885_21594.jpg

Before anyone asks, yes those are my nighttime pills by the glass :hmmm:

Edited by Ted Fairhead (log)

Tonight’s dinner: grilled flank steak with garlicky ancho chile rub; grilled plantains and red onions with tomatillo-chipotle salsa; and cukes. We set out bowls of extra tomatillo-chipotle salsa for spooning over anything that stood still long enough. For the salsa, we browned tomatillos and garlic on a dry skillet, and then tossed them in a blender with chipotles in adobo and salt. Good stuff – maybe we’ll add some cilantro next time.

The rub contained chopped garlic, brown sugar, Mexican oregano, cumin, S&P, ancho chile powder, chipotle powder, and paprika. It was supposed to be all ancho powder but I ran out and improvised. Laid on thickly, it made a spicy-sweet-aromatic crusty mixture with the meaty juices.

gallery_42956_2536_43733.jpg

Thank you! I've been wanting to make Keller's quiche from Bouchon for quite some time now! Have you tried it?  :laugh:

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give this a try next week. I have made Keller's quiche. While it's somewhat time consuming to make, it is the best quiche I've ever had. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've decided that, when I die, I want to come back as anyone who might eat C. sapidus' cooking on a regular basis.

Jensen - Aww, what a nice thing to say. :blush: Your eG contributions are too valuable, so don't die any time soon, OK? :smile:

I did learn one thing, though – buy plantains early (or find a better source). One plantain was nicely black and ripe; the other was too hard and starchy to be used.

I'd settle for being the family dog.

Sorry, no openings - we have three pooches now, which is one too many. Besides, they get Iams Active Maturity, probably not what you are looking for. :blink::biggrin:

Resolutions for later in September

1. I am going to make that tart of Pameliachia's when I get back

My housekeeper had dropped off a new load in the fridge yesterday. What stuck out were some chicken thighs and some shortribs. Bored of packing, I figured I should do something with these.

The chicken I tagged for Thursday dinner, and put it in a marinade of soy, garlic, pepper, and salt. Nothing too fancy. The short ribs I earmarked for Friday (today), and rubbed them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. I've learned my lesson about slow cooking, and figured they need a day to work down.

gallery_22892_3828_340.jpg

Then I presteamed the chicken then steamed up some sticky glutinous rice (is that redundant) with the chicken inside, the whole thing wrapped up in banana leaves.

gallery_22892_3828_62665.jpg

The result came out quite comforting. The chicken fat and juices had worked into the rice, and everything had that kranab smell of banana leaf about it. No need for cutlery, just dive in with my one hand while keeping the other for reading.

gallery_22892_3828_94078.jpg

(note: I am looking forward to not having to dine alone!)

Friday dinner, and my last moments in the kitchen (at least my own) for a couple of weeks.

The ribs came out as oily and fatty as I could've hoped. I opted for the crockpot. It's one of those tools that spends a lot of time taking up counterspace, so I figured it could work for its keep.

gallery_22892_3828_2915.jpg

The smell has been maddening all afternoon. Heck, I woke up in the morning and I could sense that overtone of simmering fats, onions, and rosemary.

gallery_22892_3828_125671.jpg

I did some whipped potato. Lots of butter and cream, and a good seeing too with Mr. Buzzy to get all of the chunks out. Nice and full in the mouth, and a perfect delivery system for the sauce from the ribs.

gallery_22892_3828_39089.jpg

I was quite happy with this. And there's just a little bit left for me to take to work for lunch.

Now, let me finish off the pavlova, do the dishes, and that'll be about it.

Cheers,

Peter

I haven't posted in a while either.

Anyway here's some food from the past month...

Mint and Parsley Salad with Rice

gallery_46943_4831_29939.jpg

Yogurtlu Kebab

gallery_46943_4831_29852.jpg

The Imam Fainted

gallery_46943_4831_10302.jpg

Spiced Orange Shrimp Ceviche

gallery_46943_4831_16353.jpg

Peppery Hot and Garlicky Cod with Carrots in Oil

gallery_46943_4831_3186.jpg

Malaga Style White Gazpacho with Shrimp

gallery_46943_4831_10244.jpg

Recipes are on my fledging blog www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

Tonight we ate:

Lamb and pork meat balls with basil and mint. I added left over cooked basmati rice, which really lightens the consistency.

Baba ganoush. I grilled (charred) two Confetti eggplant on the grill before scooping out and mixing with good olive oil, garlic, and lemon. Good smoky flavor that went quite well with the meatballs.

Salad. Not that interesting, but reasonable. Lettuce, arugula and, well, canned Manderin orange sections.

A quesadilla experiment. Since some of the rest of dinner had a vaguely Mediterranean flare, I added a small amount of chick pea flour to the masa harina. I put queso blanco, grilled vegetables and Tapatio between two tortillas and sealed them before throwing on a hot griddle. Not bad, but Boy thought not quite as good as the traditional tortillas.

Tonights family dinner:

gallery_42214_4635_882.jpg

Bruschetta

gallery_42214_4635_52394.jpg

Corn, smashed wee potatoes, zukes and a lamb chop

gallery_42214_4635_11387.jpg

And for the kids.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

it was hot last night so tried a new recipe,blender gazpacho(very good). served with some coleslaw and a grilled chicken with sundried tomato and basil sausage.

gallery_403_5125_260299.jpg

johnnybird is off at the Farm Aid concert. wonder what i should do for dinner tonight?

edited to say i think i should have posted this on the regrettable dinner thread. wow what a clash of colors

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hello everyone!!!

Roasted a chicken tonight. It was a pasture raised bird and I haven't really cooked with these at all. The skin didn't really turn out how I wanted. A little pale and not quite as crispy as I wanted. Oh well, it still tasted great.

0909071827.jpg

On the plate with a beet salad and some corn.

0909071844.jpg

Allan

Wow, what great dinners you've all made...I know, everyone says it, but I'm sure we all mean it. I know I do!

suzilightning, the colors may clash, but that's not enough for Regrettable Dinners :biggrin: . It still looks way too appetizing!

I finally, finally, FINALLY have the new kitchen online enough to cook a dinner. We've been good for breakfasts and lunches for awhile, but there were, uh, a LOT a kitchen boxes to unpack and organize (and which will undoubtedly get reorganized as I start cooking again). The fun is also learning to cook with gas again - I learned to cook on my parents' gas stove, but have lived in places with all electric kitchens ever since. I'm a tad rusty.

Still, I managed to make a simple dinner tonight:

gallery_15557_2797_9983.jpg

Marinated grilled chicken (we moved the grill with us!), sauteed homegrown zucchini with onions, garlic, and thyme, and a quick pickled (homegrown) cucumber salad.

As much as I like eating out, I've really missed simple dinners at home.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Hello everyone!!!

Roasted a chicken tonight.  It was a pasture raised bird and I haven't really cooked with these at all.  The skin didn't really turn out how I wanted.  A little pale and not quite as crispy as I wanted.  Oh well,  it still tasted great.

0909071827.jpg

On the plate with a beet salad and some corn.

0909071844.jpg

Allan

allan -

maybe a hit of 30 minutes at a high hear for a crisper skin? what kind of cheese did you have on the beet salad - goat or feta?

lunfortunately john can't stand beets so if i see them out - especially salad i go for it.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

allan -

maybe a hit of 30 minutes at a high hear for a crisper skin?  what kind of cheese did you have on the beet salad - goat or feta?

lunfortunately john can't stand beets so if i see them out  - especially salad i go for it.

Suzilightning,

Yeah, I can't figure out if I did something differently than usual or if it's the bird. Next time I get a bird from this farm I'll try a higher heat somewhere in the process. On the beet salad is goat cheese and a walnut dressing (forgot to get walnuts to toast for the salad). Too bad for John (your SI?) not liking beets. Most people I make roasted beets for don't think they'll like them even before they've tried them, but thats because the last time they had them was from a can.

Allan

[

Suzilightning,

Yeah,  I can't figure out if I did something differently than usual or if it's the bird. Next time I get a bird from this farm I'll try a higher heat somewhere in the process.  On the beet salad is goat cheese and a walnut dressing (forgot to get walnuts to toast for the salad).    Too bad for John (your SI?) not liking beets.  Most people I make roasted beets for don't think they'll like them even before they've tried them,  but thats because the last time they had them was from a can.   

Allan

ohhhhhh beet salad with goat cheese and walnut. yum.. i really love golden and chiogga beets but to no avail. johnnybird is the husband of 25 years and he says that they taste like dirt. course this is better than most of his family that feel that vegetable s are the devils work (quote from my father-in-law " do i have horns or antlers? of course i dont want anything green"). i'll take them roasted or as a borsht. thank you for the vicarious pleasure

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It’s now been over a year since I held my “economy tasting menu” (click here). Last time around it was to prove a point by demonstrating that one could cook well and serve interesting food on a tiny budget. Given the recent Top Chef cheap catering challenge that’s sparking so much eG commentary, I decided it might be fun to do it again and put out the word ($10 per person so that each person feels “committed”, I supply grunt work and wines).

Five takers, including one vegetarian. Good on the service number, but $50 was so-so on budget flexibility. Following a bit of rummaging through the pantry I had seven courses set out, and diligent shopping had me run the grocery bill to $52 ($2 overbudget). Not bad, and I had a couple of freebie luxury items to work with as well.

All items purchased from either the Pinsonneaults’ stands at the Atwater Market, Fruiterie Atwater, Marché Hawaii (in St-Laurent) or Gidney’s (also in St-Laurent). Some of the acquisitions:

gallery_10423_5129_67572.jpg

And I’m still struggling with plating on rectangular plates.

Foie gras

A brick of Périgord foie gras (gift) with white balsamic cream on top of caramelized onions and a hazelnut and raisin sourdough toast. Something to get everyone settled in before I swung into the actual meal and yes, everyone had some.

Wine pairing: 2003 Château d’Arche Sauternes

gallery_10423_5129_233250.jpg

Did I mention that everyone had some of this?

Carrot soup

Carrots, onion, ginger, Hakutsuru nigori sake, chicken stock, quality time with an immersion blender and a mesh sieve. Served cold with a little olive oil and sherry vinegar because it was still somewhat warm on Saturday.

Wine pairing: none

gallery_10423_5129_55249.jpg

Black mullet roe with glass noodles

Black mullet roe from Taiwan (another gift from a while back) brushed with sake during roasting. Served with glass noodles, quail egg and shiso.

Wine pairing: Horin Junmai Ginjō sake

gallery_10423_5129_40682.jpg

As a dish, this looked really good on paper and it was until I had to start plating. The end result unfortunately looks a bit like a deflated Michelin Man sporting green dreadlocks. I also hadn’t anticipated that most people wouldn’t be used to the taste and texture of the roasted roe. Say this was a “miss”.

Close-up of the quail egg. Nice soft slightly runny yolk (I’d want this even runnier next time).

gallery_10423_5129_21788.jpg

Matsutake hoiruyaki

One of the “bonus” dishes not on the original plan of seven. Found some good-condition matsutake at the Atwater Market and I just had to try it out since it’s not like they’re readily available. Was originally going to simply grill them but then I read Horiyuki’s matsutake suggestion and figured his approach would save me some time and attention span. Each package also had shimeji (I only bought three matsutake – they don’t exactly give these away) and junmai ginjō.

Wine pairing: continued with sake

gallery_10423_5129_127650.jpg

One little problem: didn’t know about one participant’s aversion to mushrooms (oops).

Tomato

Tomatoes from the Pinsonneaults served with year-old Manchego, Hawaiian black salt and a vinaigrette made of Pedro Ximinez vinegar, piment d'espelette and Spanish olive oil.

Wine pairing: 2006 St Hubertus Riesling (Canada)

gallery_10423_5129_180253.jpg

In hindsight this was an awful wine pairing (fino would have been better) but I think they couldn’t take any more of the sake and just needed something grape-y.

Duo of salmon

Wine Pairing: 2005 Palliser Estates Riesling (New Zealand)

Simple pan-roast salmon with buttered two-color carrots.

gallery_10423_5129_86088.jpg

Lime-cured salmon with olive oil and onion confit. This is a Marcus Wareing recipe – I had no time for a proper gravlax or confit and had to find something other than tartar, sashimi, tataki, poke, ceviche or tiradito (all those forms that I’ve already done in the past).

gallery_10423_5129_127301.jpg

Sake-marinated sablefish

Roasted sake-marinated sablefish with quinoa, sautéed arugula and a sauce made from the reduced marinade.

Wine pairing: 2003 Palliser Estates Pinot Noir

gallery_10423_5129_65800.jpg

Cheese course

The second bonus dish outside of the plan of seven. I’ve been debating the rationale of serving a real cheese course versus cheese-containing dishes with Sher.eats as she plans her upcoming tasting menu (15-Sep-2007 I think; click here for thread).

Wine pairing: none (they were having difficulty finishing the Pinot by this point)

Two Quebec raw-milk cheeses (both cow) because I had flashbacks of the kinds of cheese available in Asia (white and orange; just like Ontario!): Pont Couvert (a new one for me; on left) and Pied-de-Vent (on right) with orange tomatoes and ground cherries (also from the Pinsonneaults – they grow good stuff).

gallery_10423_5129_117176.jpg

Same toasted hazelnut and raisin sourdough.

gallery_10423_5129_59609.jpg

Peach tataki

Given the amount of food, I asked if they wanted me to serve a dessert or let it go: they wanted it, so it was a lightly poached and grilled peach sauced with butter, honey, sherry vinegar, cinnamon and piment d’espelette.

gallery_10423_5129_47387.jpg

I continue to struggle with desserts. I’m not sure how this tasted or what people thought of the cooked/raw texture but I think that if I had to do it again, I’d poach in simple syrup and cinnamon and leave it as that. Or I could have Ling look at this and watch her develop it into something good.

:laugh:

Total service time: 5 hours.