• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

I've been happily following Tupac's Eating the Boot and wishing I was out and about.

Of the many dishes that caught my eye, one in particular just made so much sense I had to do it.

Noodles garlic, black pepper, and cheese.

gallery_22892_3828_184857.jpg

The freshly crushed black peppercorns and the fried garlic came away a lot spicier than I'd expected. This had a burn on it that I love.

And, it was easy to do, and easy to clean up.

I feel much better now.

I've been happily following Tupac's Eating the Boot and wishing I was out and about.

Of the many dishes that caught my eye, one in particular just made so much sense I had to do it.

Noodles garlic, black pepper, and cheese.

gallery_22892_3828_184857.jpg

The freshly crushed black peppercorns and the fried garlic came away a lot spicier than I'd expected.  This had a burn on it that I love.

And, it was easy to do, and easy to clean up.

I feel much better now.

That looks delish! I love pasta--actually too much lol.

I love your plate, too!

Steak & vegetable pie for dinner tonight. Since it was the first pie I've made I focused on the pastry and was conservative with the filling, but it turned out so well I'm looking forward to messing around with different fillings next time. The most interesting (and one of the tastiest) pie fillings I've seen was a regular steak and bacon pie with an egg cracked onto it before putting the lid on. As the pie was cooked, the egg just set. One of these days I plan to give it a shot myself!

gallery_38684_2093_59916.jpg

As an Ex-Adelaide boy, now living in New Jersey that looks awesome, and now you've got me on the road to making my own this weekend. It may sound funny, but there are definitely times over here you miss Balfours and Villi's pies

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Suvir's Lahori Chicken Curry with potatoes and whole spices; Duguid and Alford's spiced cabbage salad; Dal; and a cold glass of white wine.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

Tonight was "leftover" night. In the fridge: rice from last night's dinner. In the freezer: some black beans with chiles I'd made a month or so ago. In the crisper: pasilla chiles and tomatillos.

I love the before and after changes when you roast chiles:

gallery_11420_759_90027.jpg

After they were cooled, I skinned and gutted them and stuffed them with a mixture of the rice and beans. The sauce was made from the tomatillos and a couple of cloves of garlic:

gallery_11420_759_57161.jpg

And then it was into the "oven" for about 30 or 40 minutes:

gallery_11420_759_11592.jpg

(I didn't really turn on the oven...I'm not crazy! I heated the Weber to around 350 and then put the dish in the barbecue.)

Served with sliced heirloom tomatoes and sliced avocado.

Jen, that looks amazing!

Mona, beautiful minestrone, you should post the recipe...... :wink:

Peter, it still floors me how a simple pasta dish can be so satisfying and lovely, as yours looks.

Last night i made my first Larb, pork. Now I understand the obsession on the larb thread, and the many pages. Yum! Next time, a finer mince, I think.

gallery_48503_4919_863949.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Thanks!, and I will post the recipe next time I make it. This version was very good, but not my original "mona's meaty minestrone" because I didn't have all the ingredients. I want to be sure that all my measurments are correct. Ah, research is so hard! I'll be sure to PM you with a link to my post to be sure you get it.

I have yet to make Larb myself. We have lots of ethnic restaurants nearby, and in particular one fantastic Thai place which does eat in, take out and delivery. Needless to say, it's a easy as dialing the phone to get larb. But, I should do it myself to see how it turns out.

NB, it sounds like your larb turned out great. Congrats!

Monavano, I can wait for fall, but your minestrone looks great.

Jensen, roasted Poblanos are one of my favorite things on earth. Yum.

Brenda, welcome to the larb club!

Vietnamese tonight – tilapia fillets with fresh tomato sauce. Pickings were slim at the farmer’s market (too much rain lately), but I found some decent-looking yellow tomatoes. As I was finishing the sauce, Mrs. C walked in from the back yard with two stunningly beautiful tomatoes. The sauce would have been much better with the backyard tomatoes, but the fish turned out beautifully tender. If we make this again, I will season the fish with salt and pepper before frying. And check for ripe tomatoes. :rolleyes:

ETA: A dash of fish sauce and a healthy dab of chile-tamarind paste brightened up the leftovers considerably for breakfast.

Served with corn, jasmine rice, cukes (disappeared before dinner), and the stunning garden tomatoes.

gallery_42956_2536_29022.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

French Onion Soup

gallery_54689_4781_426809.jpg

Please explain.

The onion soup's hidden underneath. It looks like the crouton on top got broken and sunk, and it had cheese, tomato, and green pepper on top.

Am I right?

You're exactly correct! I guess it's not a "traditional" French onion soup, but it was darn good!

my favorite dinners over the last week... sorry, no pics.

from monica bhide's everything indian cookbook, two starters (perfect for a single person's dinner)...

fenugreek flavored meatballs (lamb) and cucumber cups with yogurt sauce. since this was dinner for me i rounded it out with lemon rice from the same cookbook.

a light and fruity bread salad, made with sourdough banana nut bread as a base. with lots of torn romaine heart, strawberries macerated in raspberry vinegar with a touch of sugar, one perfect fresh sliced nectarine, handful of dried red flame grapes, sliced scallion and bleu cheese, sloshed with a bit more ras vinegar stirred into a tad of fruity evoo and a crack of pepper. i love salads and this was probably one of the best this season... no offense to my lovely tomatoes. :raz:

roasted red pepper risotto, roasted garlicky chicky thigh and lightly steamed then sauteed broccoli.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Work interfered with ambitious dinner plans, so we had self-service eggs with bacon. Mine was scrambled eggs with chorizo, chile-tamarind paste, pickled scallions, chopped yellow tomato, fish sauce, Serrano chiles, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Tangy and aromatic, with varied textures and complex heat – quite satisfying.

Eternal cukes, of course. We also cooked yard-long beans Vietnamese-style: blanched and stir-fried with garlic, beaten egg, fish sauce, and sugar, and then covered and steamed until tender. The boys approved moderately.

gallery_42956_2536_4055.jpg

Bruce, that looks "freaking delicious"!!

No pic, lazy dinner and not worth bothering for. Looks wise, that is, but tastes great. Bloody Maria Salad. (Somehow, the resulting juice in the bottom of the glass just hit the spot) :wink: Hey, maybe That is why there is no worthy pic! *hic*

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Pan seared chicken breast wth fresh salsa, cheddar and sour cream (being inspired from a Mexican meal here). Sides are leftover succotash and smashed potatoes turned patatas bravas with saffron aioli.

gallery_24065_1826_235663.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_132649.jpg

Edited by monavano (log)

Bruce..

As always you rock.

I tried to post last nights dinner, but fell in to the pit of "Camera-to-PC-to-Photo Shop-to-ImageGullet HELL!

My dinner was a total freezer/fridge scavenger meal that turned out GREAT!

Weird combo perhaps, but I'll definitely do it again!

Orzo pasta, asparagus, long beans (in 1 inch lengths), frozen corn, red onions, red peppers, capers, olive oil, ital seasoning, parm cheese.

Cooked the orzo, sauted the veggies in EVOO, garlic, shallots, added the cooked pasta and parm.

It was supposed to be a cold salad, but I was overcome and ate 1/2 while hot.

I meant to add black olives (kalamatas), but forgot, and scarfed the remaining "salad" at three o'clock AM. :sad:

If I can figure out what I'm doing wrong with my up-loads, I'll post a pic...although it looks just like it sounds! :biggrin:

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Prawncracker, any special preparation for the razor clams before stir frying them?

No, i don't really bother anymore. I used to soak them for a couple of hours in a few changes of water but i still found you can't really avoid the grit, so nowadays i just give them a quick scrub. Either they're gritty or they're not! I did try once to squeeze the dark crap out of them but it's quite an unpleasant task as they squirm... a lot. So I clean them up after they're cooked, remove the 'beak' and clean out as much of the green crap as possible.

In this dish they weren't stir-fried but cooked whole as you would moules mariniere - steaming them open with some aromatics. Mmmm, think i might put this on the Recipe Gullett as this one is definitely one of those schizophrenic east meets west techinques that somehow works for me.