• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Peter Green, I really want to grab a big hunk of fresh bread and dip it into the juices pooled on that plate! How did you make the potato dumplings? How did they compare in taste and texture to potato gnocchi?

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

I'm now quite embarrassed that I ever put any of my pictures on here.  Nothing I've done compares to this for sure!

I don't even have any idea what sodium alginate is!

You say that, but then look at the post right after mine...puts me to shame :)

Here's the topic on sodium alginate. Fun stuff...used only to impress friends who don't know what it is :wink: And, the chai was supposed to be a sodium alginate ravioli, but I couldn't get it to form, that's why I have two rounds of caviar in one meal.

Nah both you guys' stuff looks AWESOME!

Thanks for the link--I have some heavy reading to do looks like!

I'm now quite embarrassed that I ever put any of my pictures on here.  Nothing I've done compares to this for sure!

Why would you say this? There is nothing wrong with your photos or what you cook.

I don't even have any idea what sodium alginate is!

One of the two chemical components (the other being calcium chloride) used to encapsulate liquids into little caviar-like spheres (or big egg-yolk size spheres). The techique came out of Ferran Adria at el Bulli.

Awwww thanks!

On a hot summer day this week...

Chilled Golden Gazpacho

gallery_21049_162_7766.jpg

Rotisserie Chicken with Herb Yukon Gold Potatoes and Roasted Garlic

gallery_21049_162_35553.jpg

Earlier in the week....

Homemade Lobster Bisque w/Crusty Bread

gallery_21049_162_11074.jpg

Ribs - These were actually cuit sous vide and then finished under the broiler (it was raining that day).

gallery_21049_162_1327.jpg

Peter Green - wait, you aren’t making sauerbraten in Thailand, are you? :shock:

For the bread course, I prepared homemade chapati naan with tomato chutney:

gallery_41282_4708_9351.jpg

Rob/gfron1, sounds like a great party. Your chapati naan is gorgeous, how did you make it?

Rotisserie Chicken with Herb Yukon Gold Potatoes and Roasted Garlic

gallery_21049_162_35553.jpg

PercyN, of all your beautiful plates, the roasted garlic jumped out at me. Whoa.

We did not cook anything last night, but went out for all-you-can-eat crabs at the source of my avatar. :wub: My fingers still smell of crab, and the dogs keep giving me enquiring looks. :biggrin:

Peter Green,How did you make the potato dumplings? How did they compare in taste and texture to potato gnocchi?

Much as I would like to lay claim to hours of work prepping the dough.....I use Panni's Bavarian potato dumpling mix. One of my Germanic Vancouver friends had turned us onto it, and now we load up on a case of it each time we're home. It comes in 205 gm boxes, and we can find it in a number of the specialty shops in Kitsilano and the North Vancouver.

As you'd guess,The dumplings are great, but what we really love is that it makes pretty much perfect gnocchi, and our family has a serious love affair with gnocchi.

Cheers

Peter

Peter Green - wait, you aren’t making sauerbraten in Thailand, are you? :shock:

Don't worry, I'm in the Gulf right now, with way too much time on my hands.

Tonight it's going to be a simple kai yang issaan I've had on the grill for a little while now.

(I'd better check that).

I love lobster bisque! and the chicken dinner looks just perfect percyn!!

the other night we had some very refreshing Pimm's Cups before ordering our favorite pizza

1150552256_42b7bc5194.jpg

last night I made seafood fritters with spicy mayo dipping sauce. the fritters had clams, oysters, mussels, shrimp and scallops in them. there was a side green salad with peaches and blueberry vinaigrette and a rose in the glass.

1150503054_8e9946ec4c.jpg

percyn, what's in the golden gazpacho? Yellow tomatoes instead of red? Or something else entirely?

and little ms foodie, the meal with the fritters looks and sounds delicious. What's in the mayo dipping sauce, if you don't mind my asking?

Kate

percyn, what's in the golden gazpacho?  Yellow tomatoes instead of red?  Or something else entirely?

Yellow tomatoes (in this case low-acid ones from an Amish organic farm) is the main difference.

There are many versions of the recipe, some with blanched almonds.

For a really great version, check out this StudioKitchen blog.

little ms foodie, the meal with the fritters looks and sounds delicious.  What's in the mayo dipping sauce, if you don't mind my asking?

I just whisked together some mayo, lemon juice, tomato paste, cayenne, parsley, minced and smashed garlic and Crystal hot sauce. Like frite sauce with a kick!

For the bread course, I prepared homemade chapati naan with tomato chutney:

gallery_41282_4708_9351.jpg

Rob/gfron1, sounds like a great party. Your chapati naan is gorgeous, how did you make it?

Thanks. It was a great party. You know its a good one when someone who you don't know, who wasn't there stops by to tell you they heard the party was a hit.

I used Yamuna Devi's (The Art of Vegetarian Indian Cooking) recipe for Chapati. Just chapati flour, melted ghee, salt, water, rest, roll and and pan grill and brush with more ghee. I was supposed to puff on a flame, but didn't.

Gorgeous food, everyone! I am drooling and ready for dinner at 10:30 am!

Since this is the place I am most active in, I thought I'd post this here: our computer was once again :angry::angry::angry: fried by lightening strikes - long story short, we unplugged the computer, but not the printer and apparently that was the path it took. Don't know when we'll be back on since we just spent hundreds on the last fix, and as I discovered last time, eGullet is not cleared to be access by our library system :angry: - so I may be awhile getting back. I'm sorry for that, because I really miss this place when I am gone.

Eat well, everyone! Miss you!!

Kim

Tonight I started with a Smoked Rainbow Trout Salad. I had made a smoked trout salad a couple of weeks ago and it was so good, I smoked some more trout yesterday. I tossed the trout in homemade lemon mayonnaise and combined it with some diced cucumber and mache greens.

gallery_41580_4407_55256.jpg

Then for the main dish I did a Miso Marinated Duck Breast served on some Chinese Egg Noodles. Really simple and easy dish for a hot summer evening.

gallery_41580_4407_67516.jpg

Then for dessert, another helping of the Peach Brown Betty I did last night. You can see photos and a link to the recipe in the 'What's for dessert" forum. It is almost unbelievable that with peaches, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, bread and butter that something so simple could taste so delicious. Enjoy.

gallery_41580_4407_4351.jpg

It's hard to believe it's been a year already, but it has, so we had a remembrance dinner for my brother last night, which included his favourite foods.

Spit roasted beef tenderloin, roasted asparagus drizzled with a 21 year balsamic and parmesan, and crispy smashed potatoes. Served with a bernaise sauce.

gallery_6080_205_33919.jpg

Raspberry pie. Possibly his most favourite thing in the whole world. You could give him this pie and he'd happily skip every other course to get to it.

gallery_6080_205_35562.jpg

gallery_6080_205_51581.jpg

His favourite wine, Chateau nuf de pape in the glass.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Fantastic meal Marlene, i'm sure your brother is beaming down on you.

I had beef too today - Angus Rib-eye with Colston Bassett Stilton, fries, tomato and peas:

gallery_52657_4505_107639.jpg

Yesterday was steamed sea bass, fresh green beans from my mum's garden and mooli cake (in the very background):

gallery_52657_4505_66946.jpg

It's been a damp slightly chilly day in Virginia and I spent it processing tomatos.

I am watching my kid tucker down on fresh homemade tomato soup, dipping Late July mini-peanut butter crackers in it with glee.

I have my Dad's favourite old John Denver cd on, which makes me smile, remembering him make me tomato soup and peanut butter crackers with this playing in the background on many a rainy day.

It's a rainy day gift from the family gods. :wub:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

This Sunday afternoon - Empanadas Gauchos with chimichurri sauce washed down with a Filus Reserve Melbec 2005 from Lunlunta Valley Mendoza. MMMMMMMM

gallery_38003_2183_466643.jpg

gallery_38003_2183_503215.jpg

Hot here on the border but the food keeps us going.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Tonight-Fried Oysters with Homemade Tartar Sauce.

I buy extra small or petite size pre-shucked oysters that are packed fresh from the Pacific Oyster Company on the Oregon Coast and then shipped throughout the Northwest. They are tiny and incredibly sweet and tender.

gallery_41580_4407_33312.jpg

David drooling over the fried oysters!

Here's a few things we had over the past week:

Pork roast

gallery_54689_4781_1526726.jpg

Tater salad

gallery_54689_4781_810744.jpg

Roasted chicken

gallery_54689_4781_1137317.jpg

Ribs

gallery_54689_4781_1391323.jpg

And then, I had a serious cobbler craving

Strawberry cobbler before I slide it in the oven

gallery_54689_4781_1458657.jpg

Strawberry cobbler after it's all hot and bubbly

gallery_54689_4781_1268979.jpg

Blackberry cobbler

gallery_54689_4781_109035.jpg

Told ya I had a cobbler craving :laugh:

Creative use of leftovers:

I had some leftover roasted chicken and potatoes. To use them up in a new way and to stretch them to feed the family, I made Fideos. This is basically a paella made with toasted vermicelli noodles instead of rice. The recipe I followed is from Anya Von Bremzen's "The New Spanish Table" and it's actually for Shrimp Fideos. I used chicken stock and my leftover chicken instead. As a flavor base the recipe uses Sofregit -sofrito- made with lots of caramlelized onions and dried Ancho chiles and sundried tomatoes. It was excellent. Maybe even better than the original dish (i:e the roasted chicken :smile:)

gallery_5404_94_57740.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It's hard to believe it's been a year already, but it has, so we had a remembrance dinner for my brother last night, which included his favourite foods.

Spit roasted beef tenderloin, roasted asparagus drizzled with a 21 year balsamic and parmesan, and crispy smashed potatoes.  Served with a bernaise sauce.

gallery_6080_205_33919.jpg

Raspberry pie.  Possibly his most favourite thing in the whole world.  You could give him this pie and he'd happily skip every other course to get to it.

gallery_6080_205_35562.jpg

gallery_6080_205_51581.jpg

His favourite wine, Chateau nuf de pape in the glass.

What a beautiful post Marlene, thanks for sharing it. It reminds me to enjoy the gift of life every minute.