• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Ok here is a bunch of meals from a few weeks, my pictures have been coming out crappy since I lost the sun on my deck at dinner time....damn tree....

we start with last nights apricot dijon glazed salmon with sweet corn, tomato cucmber salad on toasted provolone bread and teeny potatoes boiled then squished and fried in bacon fat

gallery_23695_426_199178.jpg

moving on to a lasagna that my coworker forgot to take on his weekend away with the boys and parcelled out at the office on a monday along with rainbow chard...it was eh

gallery_23695_426_460867.jpg

pork chops with cherry demiglace and those same little potatoes but fried with duckfat and corn

gallery_23695_426_346258.jpg

on a day trip to NYC I scored some fresh ricotta from Alevas dairy and just put a huge spoonful on spaghetti with braised beef

gallery_23695_426_284543.jpg

Ummm I forget what everyone else had, mine was just toast with homemade pesto, ricotta and sliced "lemon Boy" tomato from my garden

gallery_23695_426_209248.jpg

Home made pepperoni, broccoli and mushroom calzones with the last of the ricotta

gallery_23695_426_219245.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracy, great looking meals, even without the evening sun. :wink:

Heidith, The catch this time was trout. Simply baked in bacon, butter, lemon, garlic and rosemary. Did the no-carb thing for a long time, I don't envy you.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Thanks, Brenda. If you keep posting pictures of beautiful pho, you will force me to either drive thirty miles to the nearest pho restaurant or learn to make pho at home. :wink:

We had a Thai meal with local sides: fried striped bass fillets with chile-tamarind sauce; jasmine rice; sweet corn; and an unpictured salad of tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, and shaved parmesan.

gallery_42956_2536_5311.jpg

Bruce, No CUKES? :shock: Your kids are going to go into withdrawal! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Gorgeous pictures everyone! 

I second that, plus the sweetcorn looks sooo nice.

I'm definitely going through another Italian phase, tonight a ma-hu-sive Osso Bucco. This was about 5 hours ago and i still feel quite stuffed :biggrin:

gallery_52657_4505_551282.jpg

Gorgeous pictures everyone! 

I second that, plus the sweetcorn looks sooo nice.

I'm definitely going through another Italian phase, tonight a ma-hu-sive Osso Bucco. This was about 5 hours ago and i still feel quite stuffed :biggrin:

gallery_52657_4505_551282.jpg

OMG this looks good. I've been talking about making Osso Bucco. Is it always lamb??? Help me out. Which cut do you buy?

As usual, everyone's dinner's look wonderful. Finally figured out the new camera and how I can now post pictures. Since we low carbing it these days, I made a salad from Epicurious that had shaved fennel, endive and celery with a lemon and olive oil, S&P dressing with chunks of burrata on top:

gallery_45680_4699_221168.jpg

along side of that, we had surf and turf..prime chauteaubriand grilled perfectly with a king crab leg. The crab legs were frozen and just so so, the meat was to die for.

gallery_45680_4699_1350066.jpg

I don't even know where to start, everyones meals are outstanding!

Lucy, you remind me how much I miss fresh crab legs!

Prawncrackers, Osso Buco is one of my favorite meals, make it at least twice a month with beef shank. ( think I do it just for sneaking out the marrow :wink: ) Yours looks amazing.

Tonight, I wanted to experiment with baby octopus, never made it before. Bacon, tomatoes, octo babes, misc. other yummy things and penne. It was rather good.

gallery_48503_4919_642659.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Had lots of peppers, zucchini and san marzano tomatoes from the farmer's market so tonight I made chicken cacciatore. Finished with pecorino romano cheese.

gallery_24065_1826_1556805.jpg

That reminds me, I have some good tomatoes and a chicken leg to use up...guess what I'm having later this week :biggrin:

gallery_54928_4824_53004.jpg

Dumplings! I've never made dumplings of any sort, and only ever eaten them a few times. Didn't really use a recipe either, so I'm rather amazed they came out edible at all. Filling is ground beef, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, and soy sauce. They're hiding under a bunch of cilantro because while tasty they were pretty ugly :raz: Cucumber and tomato salad on the side with a simple vinaigrette and fresh parsley. Most satisfying dinner I've cooked in a while, hopefully this will pull me out of my rut. Took a while though, because I'm slow--1.5hr from entering to exiting the kitchen. But it's the weekend, and I was in the mood for something fiddly.

Kate

Simple dinner from last Friday: seasoned grilled chicken and boiled corn on the cob.

gallery_15557_2797_2556.jpg

This corn differs from most others in a way that is not apparent from the picture: it was boiled for 5 minutes. I live at about 6500 ft, and water boils at about 198F. At sea level, 5 minute corn would be starchy mush. Up here, it's just about perfect, and 2-3 minute corn is unmistakably raw. (Don't even ask about 3 minute eggs.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I drove through Portland, Oregon, yesterday and made a stop at Whole Foods. I love that place-and we don't have one in Spokane-so I stop when I can.

I bought 3 beautiful diver scallops. Two of them were more than enough for one serving-they were huge-and delicious. I quickly seared them in olive oil and butter.

I served the scallops on top of fresh pappardelle. I normally use pappardelle in a dish with duck confit, sans any type of sauce. I wasn't sure if pappardelle was going to be a good pasta choice for a sauce but it turned out really good. The sauce coated the pappardelle like silk.

I tossed the pappardelle in some prepared lobster bisque that was available in the seafood section of the market. I garnished the pasta with some fresh chanterelles sauteed in butter and olive oil.

After a week visiting family I needed to get back to my own kitchen and I'm glad I made this dinner. Turned out very good. Of course, that's not really hard when you start with such wonderful scallops.

gallery_41580_4407_70040.jpg

David, I miss puget sound so much, fresh seafood! Whole foods! Those scallops look achingly delicious, and I am homesick now, thank you. :sad:

Eskay, don't hide your dumplings, they look yummy.

Ted, crunchy crispy greasy chicken skin..........sigh.

Brenda

I don't even know where to start, everyones meals are outstanding!

Lucy, you remind me how much I miss fresh crab legs!

Prawncrackers, Osso Buco is one of my favorite meals, make it at least twice a month with beef shank.  ( think I do it just for sneaking out the marrow :wink: ) Yours looks amazing.

Tonight, I wanted to experiment with baby octopus, never made it before.  Bacon, tomatoes, octo babes, misc. other yummy things and penne.  It was rather good.

gallery_48503_4919_642659.jpg

We do our osso bucco with veal shank- have not had luck with beef shank. BUT....the baby octopi- I think I need a hands on lesson. My Aussie sister brushes them with honey & soy and puts them on the "barbie". The Hispanic ladies at the Asian market say they drop them into the boil whole with all the other shellfish. I am really unclear as to how to clean. The last time I pretty much chopped everything off except the legs with a bit of body just enough to hold the legs together and grilled them. Pointers welcome.

Peach crisp.

gallery_24065_1826_1161165.jpg

Monovano, I have 5 huge peaches given to me by my neighbor. Can you share your recipe for the peach crisp?

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

OMG this looks good.  I've been talking about making Osso Bucco.  Is it always lamb???  Help me out.  Which cut do you buy?

Thanks Shelby, this Osso Bucco along with all the others i get from my butchers is veal shin. It's a relatively cheap yet delicious cut, my butcher buys in a whole frozen shin and saws it into four gi-normous steaks for me. He used to saw it into eight but i complained that the steaks were too thin and fiddly to cook. Now i think they're just right, 2.5 - 3 inch thick.

Peach crisp.

gallery_24065_1826_1161165.jpg

Monovano, I have 5 huge peaches given to me by my neighbor. Can you share your recipe for the peach crisp?

Sure, I'd be happy to and it's incredibly easy.

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

8 tbsp. butter (one stick) cut into 8 pieces

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Place all ingredients into food processer and pulse until butter is incorporated and texture is like small peas.

Peel peaches with sharp paring knife or sharp vegetable peeler (this is what I do). Remove pit and slice. Arrange on the bottom of a 10x7 (or approximate) baking dish, which has been sprayed with Pam or other like cooking spray (or use butter to grease).

Evenly spread topping over peaches.

Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. At the end of baking, I turn on the broiler to get the top extra crisp and brown!! :wink:

Edited by monavano (log)

We had the leftovers from some pork tenderloin with roasted plums and rosemary that I made last night. Sharp with a slightly sweet hint of vanilla from a vanilla bean that was in the roasting liquid with the plums.

gallery_51259_4126_65034.jpg

Joe: Beautiful!

ETA: David Ross: Oh, those scallops.

Tonight we made Nyonya-style spiced fried chicken, Nyonya dipping sauce, and jasmine rice (details on the Cradle of Flavor thread). We also enjoyed a salad of watercress, romaine lettuce, ripe tomatoes, and pine nuts with Riesling vinaigrette.

This was my first time frying chicken. No hot-oil burns and I avoided burning down the house. Yee-ha!

gallery_42956_2536_35885.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

It is always so much fun coming back to this thread after not being able to log on for a while and seeing all of the wonderful meals that everyone has made. The only problem... I get too hungry.

I am about to find out if all of the kind lessons I received on how to quote a post will work.

Oh man, dinner was good tonight. Made Puplewiz's calabacitas, added lots of fresh cilantro and it was great. Served with homemade corn tortillas and homemade refried beans, loaded up with onions, garlic, spices, and cilantro... Take tortilla, add beans, top with calabacitas, more cheddar cheese, and a fresh slice of tomato = heaven!!!

Emily

I looked up "calabacitas" in Recipe Gullet and could not find anything. Emily, could you please let me know where to look for that recipe?

Thanks so much!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Haven't posted here in a while, but here are 2 recent dinners:

gallery_21505_2929_55471.jpg

Monkfish in chipotle mayo with fried plantains

followed by fried chicken :wub:

gallery_21505_2929_6036.jpg

which was served with corn-avocado-basil salad and runner beans with bacon, cream, hazelnuts &tarragon, and corncakes

gallery_21505_2929_59945.jpg

dessert was David Ross´ lemon blackberry bars

gallery_21505_4018_22328.jpg

This weekend: roasted leeks with a caper vinaigrette and boiled eggs (I think I stole this from little ms foodie!)

gallery_21505_2929_76798.jpg

Beans with pork and carrots from Paula Wolferts Southwest France book

gallery_21505_2929_24059.jpg

and redcurrant meringue pie, a recipe from Nigella Lawson´s Domestic Goddess book.. this was so good.. a hazelnut crust, tangy redcurrant filling, sweet meringue..

gallery_21505_4018_29123.jpg

gallery_21505_4018_39237.jpg