• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Marcia, how did you do the fritters? We are low-carbing it and would like to see if that would be something that we can eat. I haven't posted pics in a while, since I got a new camera and have to figure out how to down size the pics, but then we've been eating alot of steaks. I'll get back to it one of these days.

Everything looks so great! Andyb, I am now craving fresh scallops, thank you. Bruce, spectacular, as allways.

I spent the entire day canning, and well into the night actually. Kitchen is of course a cluttered mess, didn't realy feel like cooking a big dinner, so.....my standard go-to. Pho. I had just made a large pot of stock from Into The Vietnamese Kitchen, a few nights back. Added tripe, tendon and all the other goodies. Unfortunately, all my herbs were bad except cilantro, but it was still yummy and satisfying.gallery_48503_4919_120216.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Marcia, how did you do the fritters?  We are low-carbing it and would like to see if that would be something that we can eat.  I haven't posted pics in a while, since I got a new camera and have to figure out how to down size the pics, but then we've been eating alot of steaks.  I'll get back to it one of these days.

We do reduced carb, and that's how I found this "recipe". It's 2-3 small zucchinis (or one huge honkin' one with the pulpy center removed) that have been shredded, salted, let sit about 15 - 30 minutes in a colander, rinsed, and then squeezed as dry as possible. Two eggs, beaten, with 1 tbsp flour (oat or whole wheat flour works fine, too), 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, 1-2 sliced green onions, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and then fry in a little vegetable oil until crispy and cooked through.

It's a rough recipe because zucchini come in different sizes and exact proportions aren't that important - you need enough egg to coat all the shreds and a little flour to help hold it together.

Sometimes I throw some feta cheese into the batter, this time I added some cilantro, some chopped mint is nice, there's a lot you can to do play with the flavor. I like to top them with a protein, but honestly, I could just eat them plain all day.

I also like this recipe because it helps use up all the zucchini we're being blessed with :biggrin: .

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Marcia, how did you do the fritters?  We are low-carbing it and would like to see if that would be something that we can eat.  I haven't posted pics in a while, since I got a new camera and have to figure out how to down size the pics, but then we've been eating alot of steaks.  I'll get back to it one of these days.

We do reduced carb, and that's how I found this "recipe". It's 2-3 small zucchinis (or one huge honkin' one with the pulpy center removed) that have been shredded, salted, let sit about 15 - 30 minutes in a colander, rinsed, and then squeezed as dry as possible. Two eggs, beaten, with 1 tbsp flour (oat or whole wheat flour works fine, too), 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, 1-2 sliced green onions, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and then fry in a little vegetable oil until crispy and cooked through.

It's a rough recipe because zucchini come in different sizes and exact proportions aren't that important - you need enough egg to coat all the shreds and a little flour to help hold it together.

Sometimes I throw some feta cheese into the batter, this time I added some cilantro, some chopped mint is nice, there's a lot you can to do play with the flavor. I like to top them with a protein, but honestly, I could just eat them plain all day.

I also like this recipe because it helps use up all the zucchini we're being blessed with :biggrin: .

Marcia.

I have made them and they are yummy.

You mentioned freezing your zuchini. Could you be kind enough to tell me exactly how you did that? Because I'm going to have a ton this year and I do want to keep them, however possible.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------

I have made them and they are yummy.

You mentioned freezing your zuchini. Could you be kind enough to tell me exactly how you did that? Because I'm going to have a ton this year and I do want to keep them, however possible.

Thanks.

I went back to my post and I'm afraid I mistyped there...the other large club of a zucchini was in the fridge, not freezer (I did mention not having any brain power right now? :laugh: ). It became calabacitas with dinner tonight, which I didn't take pictures of....

When I've frozen it in the past, I've shredded it and frozen it in measured amounts in ziplock bags. The texture deteriorates (understatement of the year), but if you're using it in zucchini bread or in a soup or a stew, it works fine (works great in albondigas soup, for example) (which I did make in another one of my Dinner postings once upon a time, to keep this on topic!).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Bueno, that is one of the best looking burgers I have seen in a long time. Perfect 5 napkin run-down-your-arm juicy!

Shelby, I would like to see your recipe for stroganoff, please.

The joys of summer! I spent the evening canning tomatoes again, so my 17yo son grilled dinner. Steak, potato, and tomato. Grilled to perfection and perfectly seasoned, It was verry good, I am so proud!

gallery_48503_4919_317590.jpg

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

A very quick and simple yet hugely satisfying Spaghetti with Prawns  :biggrin: :

gallery_52657_4505_4488.jpg

A plate of al-dente noodles, dressed lightly in a simple condiment with lots of herbs . . . is a very, very difficult thing to beat. With lemon, chili and thyme I'm in heaven.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Oh man, dinner was good tonight. Made Puplewiz's calabacitas, added lots of fresh cilantro and it was great. Served with homemade corn tortillas and homemade refried beans, loaded up with onions, garlic, spices, and cilantro... Take tortilla, add beans, top with calabacitas, more cheddar cheese, and a fresh slice of tomato = heaven!!!

Emily

Yea! Finally have imagegullet up and running so lots of catching up to do. Here is a sampling on some of my dishes this summer. Seem to be cooking pretty pasta and sandwich heavy...

My version of a lobster roll since I could not find the proper buns.

gallery_41537_4576_104147.jpg

Pesto with fingerlings and green beans

gallery_41537_4576_21368.jpg

Grilled hanger steak burger on a brioche bun with aged cheddar and homemade chips.

gallery_41537_4576_42082.jpg

Tomato, basil, and bufala salad. Sprinkled with black salt.

gallery_41537_4576_64887.jpg

Korean beef and spicy pork cooked on my Weber and served with store-bought pan chan like noodles, braised daikon, pickled garlic, etc.

gallery_41537_4576_69017.jpg

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Blissful..........I am So glad you figured out imagegullet!! Absolutely beautifull!!!!

Brenda

Thanks, Brenda. If you keep posting pictures of beautiful pho, you will force me to either drive thirty miles to the nearest pho restaurant or learn to make pho at home. :wink:

We had a Thai meal with local sides: fried striped bass fillets with chile-tamarind sauce; jasmine rice; sweet corn; and an unpictured salad of tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, and shaved parmesan.

gallery_42956_2536_5311.jpg

Summer bounty. Could anything be so sublime as feasting on what the land has given, at sunset in the summer? Fish, fresh caught by the children, baked with the neighbors generous gift of homeloved bacon, butter and lemon, off of a friends tree in Fl., just picked corn and green beans, and couscous. All while dining on the deck at sunset, drinking in the view of green land, horses and the ones you love. Life is good.

gallery_48503_4919_46685.jpg

Brenda

Bruce, don't tease! :wink: You know better than I do how easy pho broth is to make. We seem to be on similar plains tonight, dinnerwise that is. Looks delish! (like there is any surprise there :rolleyes: )

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

Summer bounty.  Could anything be so sublime as feasting on what the land has given, at sunset in the summer?  Fish, fresh caught by the children,  baked with the neighbors generous gift of homeloved bacon, butter and lemon, off of a friends tree in Fl.,  just picked corn and green beans, and couscous.  All while dining on the deck at sunset, drinking in the view of green land, horses and the ones you love.  Life is good.

gallery_48503_4919_46685.jpg

Oh so lovely! I have not had a non-green carb in 2 months and found my jaw starting to bite into your corn! What did the kids catch and how did you cook it? I have youngsters in our summer places catch odd little fish and bring them to me- so always looking for ideas. Thank you.