• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Bruce and David, i have a surfeit of prawns at the moment so thanks for the ideas.

Today however, a practise Cantonese Roast Duck (more detail on the Chinese eats at home thread)  :huh:

gallery_52657_4505_766430.jpg

My oh my that duck looks delicious. I can just taste that crispy skin. Nice photo.

Wife picked up sweet corn and shelled lima/butter beans on trip to southern VA.  Turned it into sucottash. 

gallery_39170_2381_20046.jpg

I love lima beans. What all do you have in that delicious looking dish ? Bacon? Cream?

YUM !

First post! :blush:

Yesterday I made spaghetti carbonara; one of those 'sauce is done by the time the pasta's done' dishes.

gallery_53594_4906_12381.jpg

Tonight, I made spicy chicken goujons with aioli, salsa, new potatoes which look strangely like eggs in this photo, and a green salad. I had a beer, Krušøvice, with that.

gallery_53594_4906_67541.jpg

Dylan Moran: Stay away from the local delicacies. They're local for a reason: no-one likes them!

Looks fantastic Blixt! Great first post, lets hope there are many more.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

First post!  :blush:

Yesterday I made spaghetti carbonara; one of those 'sauce is done by the time the pasta's done' dishes.

Tonight, I made spicy chicken goujons with aioli, salsa, new potatoes which look strangely like eggs in this photo, and a green salad. I had a beer, Krušøvice, with that.

That food (and the photography) looks really good.

josh

First post!  :blush:

That 'sketti (as we call it) looks soooo good!

Nice photos, blixt. Welcome to the forum :)

gallery_54928_4824_27564.jpg

I cooked lamb chops that I picked up on sale a couple weeks ago, coriander rice, cucumber with red wine vinegar and salt (almost a pickle? I don't know what you'd call it other than delicious) and hiding under the lamb is a yogurt mint sauce.

I need bigger plates. And better lighting :hmmm:

Edited by eskay (log)

Kate

Tonight we eat a Beef and Dark Beer Chili. Instead of the meat being ground I did a fine dice.

gallery_38003_2113_120823.jpg

The recipe is taken from the Feb 2007 edition of Bon Appetit. Other variations, instead of using chili powder I used dried home grown wild peppers, garlic and fresh origano. I also added some instant expresso coffee. The cooking time ran longer than in the recipe due to the diced meat needing to become tender.

For drink we had 1554 New Belgium "Enlighted Black Ale" made in Fort Collins Co. Good stuff.

Not your ordinary chili. Worth repeating.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Shelby and Kim: Thank you very much for your kind comments.

blixt: Welcome, and what a beautiful first post!

Jmahl: That’s some fine looking chili.

Mrs. C found a great deal on tilapia, so tonight’s dinner had a great deal of tilapia: Thai red curry with crispy tilapia (tilapia subbed for catfish); tilapia and pork stir-fry with lemongrass and garlic (tilapia subbed for shrimp); and fried tilapia. The jasmine rice, cucumbers, and green salad were completely free of tilapia, however. :rolleyes:

Thai red curry with crispy tilapia

gallery_42956_2536_9188.jpg

Wife picked up sweet corn and shelled lima/butter beans on trip to southern VA.  Turned it into sucottash. 

gallery_39170_2381_20046.jpg

I love lima beans. What all do you have in that delicious looking dish ? Bacon? Cream?

YUM !

Yep, bacon, onion, red pepper, corn, the beans, cream (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) and some lemon thyme from the garden. All about freshness.

Wow, the recent posts here have been outstanding. You all are to be congratulated! We had a birthday party in the backyard for my two year old twins yesterday. Some of the food got photographed. . .

white wine sangria for big people and lemonade for little people:

gallery_42214_4635_88220.jpg

some nori rolls with avocado, carrot, red pepper, wasabi from powder

and home-made pickled ginger (because I read what was in the grocery store's product):

gallery_42214_4635_127688.jpg

pulled pork sandwiches:

gallery_42214_4635_111253.jpg

cantaloupe wrapped in proscuitto salami:

gallery_42214_4635_17029.jpg

steamed littleneck clams with cracked black pepper and olive oil (on escarole from my garden):

gallery_42214_4635_19223.jpg

and of course chocolate and vanilla cupcakes:

gallery_42214_4635_149076.jpg

There was much rejoicing.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Andi Pena: Great photos!

Peter: Love that Sangria shot. Really tells a story!

Tonight, I made a starter of chantrelles, fried in butter with a little garlic:

gallery_53594_4906_31431.jpg

Then I had pork 'with gentle spices', a Darina Allen recipe, finished with some cream. I think I went a little overboard with the spices.

gallery_53594_4906_112698.jpg

Dylan Moran: Stay away from the local delicacies. They're local for a reason: no-one likes them!

Andi Pena: Great photos!

Peter: Love that Sangria shot. Really tells a story!

Tonight, I made a starter of chantrelles, fried in butter with a little garlic:

gallery_53594_4906_31431.jpg

Then I had pork 'with gentle spices', a Darina Allen recipe, finished with some cream. I think I went a little overboard with the spices.

gallery_53594_4906_112698.jpg

Talk about beautiful shots! Yummy~

Our house guests leave tomorrow, so we made two of their favorites: ginger chicken (gai pad khing) and Thai-style baby bok choy. This version of ginger chicken was from Thailand the Beautiful. Besides the usual ginger, garlic, onions, mushrooms, fish sauce, white pepper, and sugar, this version added bell peppers and oyster sauce, which were nice additions. Jasmine rice and eternal cukes on the side.

Our crappy Whirlpool dishwasher is broken again, so dig the lovely compostable paper plate.

gallery_42956_2536_22624.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_149076.jpg

There was much rejoicing.

The shots of the food & drink look great, but LOVE this one, and especially the band-aid on the left knee of Little Miss......... :wub:

Yes, I'm quite sure there was *MUCH* :wub::wub: rejoicing. Happy Birthday babies and congratulations Peter !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Bruce:

How did you do your "thai-style bok choy" - I bought a bag-full at my newly discovered Asian market for $0.51/lb, and while I enjoyed several for dinner steamed/sauteed in a mix of butter and chicken broth, then dressed with oyster and dark soy, I still have 5-6 more to go!

TIA, J

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Bruce:

How did you do your "thai-style bok choy" - I bought a bag-full at my newly discovered Asian market for $0.51/lb, and while I enjoyed several for dinner steamed/sauteed in a mix of butter and chicken broth, then dressed with oyster and dark soy, I still have 5-6 more to go!

TIA, J

I used the recipe for Chinese greens, Thai style (click) from Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet. This is one of our favorite ways to cook greens, and very flexible - you can cook just about anything green this way, blanch the veggies or not, add chiles or not, etc. Enjoy!

Tonight, I did a salmon fillet with a sort of herb crust, with garlic, lemon, parsley, parmesan and breadcrumbs.

An unexpected result of participating in this thread is that I'm more inclined to cook a proper dinner to show off here! :rolleyes:

gallery_53594_4906_9653.jpg