• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

thanks Stephanie!

tonight we started with raspberry caprihina's (sp) and some of the left over crab spread.

833461761_624f4ed791.jpg

then we grilled some oysters and topped them with butter, lemon and hot sauce

833462061_013a27e22c.jpg

I also made a rustic clam chowder similar to one I saw at Hog Island Oyster in San Fran a few weekends ago. there were potatoes, corn, onion and bacon in the chowder.

833461803_2fc35a121a.jpg

Hog Island's clam chowder is the best chowder (and possibly the best food item) I've ever had. Were you pleased with your results? Would you mind sharing your preparation?

I also made a rustic clam chowder similar to one I saw at Hog Island Oyster in San Fran a few weekends ago. there were potatoes, corn, onion and bacon in the chowder.

833461803_2fc35a121a.jpg

Hog Island's clam chowder is the best chowder (and possibly the best food item) I've ever had. Were you pleased with your results? Would you mind sharing your preparation?

thanks Stephanie!

tonight we started with raspberry caprihina's (sp) and some of the left over crab spread.

833461761_624f4ed791.jpg

then we grilled some oysters and topped them with butter, lemon and hot sauce

833462061_013a27e22c.jpg

833461803_2fc35a121a.jpg

That looks amazing--I've had a serious case of oyster withdrawal since moving from the coast to the dead center of the country ( :sad: ). Lucky for me I can at least enjoy it vicariously.

josh

Sunday's dinner was a Chicken Wellington.  The partially cooked chicken breast was placed on a Portobello Mushroom with a wilted spinach, chopped maitake mushroom mixture and fresh minced garlic on top. The whole thing then wrapped in Puff Pastry.  The sauce, of which I am very proud, was a port wine reduction.

gallery_50527_4885_38772.jpg

gallery_50527_4885_16621.jpg

and for dessert we had a small cherry preserve turnover made from scrap puff pastry

gallery_50527_4885_68461.jpg

Ted-I would love to have the recipe for your port wine reduction sauce.

Grass Fed, Dry Aged Rib Eye w/Point Reyes Blue Chese and Mustard Sauce

gallery_39170_2381_186233.jpg

How did you like the taste of the grass-fed beef? I've been writing a thread about supermarket steaks vs. butcher shop steaks over in Food Traditions and Culture and we've had quite a discussion about grass-fed beef.

A friend was kind enough to share some of his catch from Alaska -- sockeye salmon

gallery_37892_3980_38424.jpg

I simply roasted it with lemon juice, olive oil, S&P, and some dill:

gallery_37892_3980_43509.jpg

Served with a simple salad of romaine and radicchio tossed in a sherry vinaigrette:

gallery_37892_3980_45739.jpg

A friend was kind enough to share some of his catch from Alaska -- sockeye salmon

that looks beautiful shengcai! nicely done!!

tonight we put some lamb shoulder chops that had been marinated in EVOO, rosemary and lemon juice on the grill with summer squash done also with EVOO and fresh orangano. then I sauteed some morels in butter and cream and put it on toast cause I was reading Roots & Grub and it just sounded so damn good!!

842580529_11fb2a2210.jpg

Both last night and tonights meals were over 80% from our farmers market. I love that!!

tomorrow we are off to New Orleans for Tales of the Cocktail!

842580529_11fb2a2210.jpg

LMF, this picture set off a major Pavlovian response for me. I love a lamb shoulder whole or in chop form. Those morels look very appealing - where they fresh? I have only ever seen them dry in the stores. One day I'd love to go foraging for them, under experienced supervision. If I tried on my own I would probably wind up hallucinating or in a coma.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Grass Fed, Dry Aged Rib Eye w/Point Reyes Blue Chese and Mustard Sauce

gallery_39170_2381_186233.jpg

How did you like the taste of the grass-fed beef? I've been writing a thread about supermarket steaks vs. butcher shop steaks over in Food Traditions and Culture and we've had quite a discussion about grass-fed beef.

I have to say the flavor profile is vastly different than grain fed, much deeper, more minerally. Almost $19 a pound though. I'll check out the discussion you mention in Food Traditions and Culture.

Sunday's dinner was a Chicken

Ted-I would love to have the recipe for your port wine reduction sauce.

Gladly, its from "Cuisine At Home" magazine- here it is;

1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped carrot, 1/4 cup chopped celery, 1T tomato paste and 2 bay leaves, sauteed in butter, until softened. Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup of port. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of low sodium beef broth, bring to a boil and immediately turn heat down to a simmer for about 10 minutes, then strain. Mix 2 tsp cornstarch with 2 T water and whisk into strained broth after bringing it back up to a boil, stir until slightly thickened. Finish sauce with 1T red currant jelly and 1T butter. Season to taste.

The original recipe calls for truffle butter but thats unobtainable here in the hinterland. I think the type of port would also make a considerable difference. The recipe called for a "Tawny" port but I used a full bodied dessert type so the sauce is probably a little sweeter than intended, but we liked it.

Edited by Ted Fairhead (log)

842580529_11fb2a2210.jpg

LMF, this picture set off a major Pavlovian response for me. I love a lamb shoulder whole or in chop form. Those morels look very appealing - where they fresh? I have only ever seen them dry in the stores. One day I'd love to go foraging for them, under experienced supervision. If I tried on my own I would probably wind up hallucinating or in a coma.

Peter yes the morels are fresh- we are very lucky to have a forager at our farmers market!

Everything looks so good! I am too hot and tired to cook recently, but I am so inspired when I look at this thread!

Pille - your beetroot and potato pie is just lovely!

Shelby - everything looks delicious and the plate that your salmon crackers are on is gorgeous - do you remember where it came from?

Prawncrackers - I was scrolling through this thread last night and when I passed your crab linguini, my daughter made me stop and read what was in it. I think we may be having that next week :wink: !

MiFi - that chowder - :wub: ! Any chance of getting a recipe?

Wendy - that entire spread looks scrumptious! My very favorite way to eat - small tastes of lots of different things. And those grilled oysters in your next post look delectable!

Ted - the chicken is beautiful. Will you show me how you got the pastry to look so pretty when I'm there next week, please?

saucée - the chicken with polenta sounds fantastic. I love polenta with gooey stuff!

I have finally uploaded some pictures from when I was without computer (I had a hard time - I couldn't remember the whole process :blink: ). Here are a couple and I will post more later:

Fried Green Tomatoes w/ Shrimp Remoulade Sauce:

gallery_34972_3580_202032.jpg

Corn Waffles w/ Pulled Pork and Succotash:

gallery_34972_3580_284943.jpg

BBQ Beef Sandwiches w/ Cabbage-Raisin Slaw and Cold Dressed Greenbeans:

gallery_34972_3580_320197.jpg

I also took the makings for Bahn Mi to a friend's house for dinner. They were received with deep suspicion by everyone except myself and Mr. Kim :hmmm: . My hosts 'fixed them up' by heating the meat in the microwave and setting out cheese and ketchup and mayo to add to my veggies and condiments :rolleyes: ! I ended up with LOTS of leftover vegetables, so I made eggrolls:

The mixture before rolling:

gallery_34972_3580_37069.jpg

Lots of rolls:

gallery_34972_3580_297637.jpg

The final product:

gallery_34972_3580_59263.jpg

They were pretty good and I made enough to stock the freezer, so we are having more of them tonight!

It's my day off, so I have lots of chores - I'll give myself a break later and post some more pictures!

Kim

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Summery Duck leg (and a bit of wing) confit tonight with Fries and Peas! OK the only thing summery about it is the time of year...

gallery_52657_4505_270679.jpg

I have a confession to make, a guilty food pleasure i must admit to. Whenever i render duck fat i can't help but to snack on the crispy crackling, am i alone or does anyone else think this stuff is delicious?

gallery_52657_4505_498073.jpg

I love how left overs and bits of odd ends come together to make a lovely dish. We had this last night because I had some boiled potatoes, arugula and green beans. Using the Les Halles cookbook as a guide I tossed together a very tasty and healthy Nicoise Salad (sorry no boiled eggs at the time :biggrin: )

gallery_5404_94_31887.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

A few hours later, I am taking a well deserved break. Here are a few more past meals:

I was inspired by Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle to visit our (rather limited) farmer's market. The book is about eating as locally and seasonally as possible. I am now making an effort to bring more local and organic foods into our meals.

At the market, I found:

Pork chops from Faith Farm in Green Bay, VA. This pork is pasture raised and actually had pork flavor:

gallery_34972_3580_299228.jpg

White Japanese turnips:

gallery_34972_3580_75648.jpg

Which I used in a green salad (no picture). They were very mild and sweet. I cooked the greens with a little side meat - they took almost no time and tasted wonderful - even greens-hating daughter liked them!

Garlic Scapes - which I had never even seen:

gallery_34972_3580_112650.jpg

I used these to make a very good, but VERY strong pesto :blink: that I served with two different breads that I found; Bread for the People Asiago Baguette and Metro Bakery's regular loaf:

gallery_34972_3580_40438.jpg

The asiago is at the top.

Pesto:

gallery_34972_3580_85336.jpg

Finished meal:

gallery_34972_3580_123769.jpg

I fried the pork chop (something that I haven't done in years, considering how dry most pork is nowadays) and also served sliced Hanover tomatoes.

I have two more meals to post when I have earned another break!

Kim

Between house guests and two new dogs we haven’t taken dinner pictures lately. Fortunately, the regulars and new contributors have more than picked up the slack. :smile:

At our house guest’s request, tonight we made ginger chicken (kai phat khing) from True Thai. We stir-fried sliced chicken thighs with a sliced onion and lots of ginger, garlic, mushrooms, and scallions. The sauce contained black soy sauce, fish sauce, rice wine, and a fair amount of sugar. This was surprisingly popular with our ginger- and mushroom-averse boys, and out house guest loved it. I left the chiles out of the stir-fry, and instead made a dipping sauce with chiles, garlic, lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce. Cucumbers and jasmine rice on the side.

Last night we grilled garlicky five-spice pork chops, adapted from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. Despite changing the cut of meat and modifying the marinade, this was probably the best pork chop I have ever made – tender and juicy, and not the least bit dry. Mrs. C made buttery baby potatoes, and we had cucumbers and a green salad with ginger-lime dipping sauce.

Little Ms. Foodie's chowder left me craving summery chowder. Being in the midwest, I decided to go for shrimp since good seafood is tough to come by ( :sad: ).

Spicy shrimp corn chowder

gallery_55092_4871_34489.jpg

Naturally leavened bread with aged goat cheese on the side

gallery_55092_4871_838391.jpg

Not so photogenic, but delicious all the same.

josh

Ok, here's the last of the meals to catch me up. Who knows how long it will be before I cook more - I am working lots of nights and going out of town next week.

Anyway - I had my first try at grilling fish. It was a recipe from Cook's Illustrated and I was sure that I was going to end up with salmon slivers on my plate and chunks stuck to the grill, but it worked really well and tasted fantastic.

Grilled Glazed Salmon:

gallery_34972_3580_315243.jpg

I served it with a green salad with Feta & Tomato and a cream chive dressing:

gallery_34972_3580_165695.jpg

Plated with grilled ciabatta and sweet corn:

gallery_34972_3580_203366.jpg

I visited a wonderful, new butcher shop in Richmond called the Belmont Butchery and purchased some incredibly thick pork chops from Gryffon's Aerie farm in Gordonsville, VA:

gallery_34972_3580_321408.jpg

They were so thick that I just roasted them and served them with a Tangerine Marmalade sauce - really delicious meat - so incredibly tender and flavorful.

With the chops, I made roasted cauliflower w/ onions and fennel - a really nice twist on the official eGullet sidedish :laugh: :

gallery_34972_3580_214625.jpg

I also finally tried the Jacques Pépin Gnocchi Parisienne recipe. What an easy and fantastic dish! I am so glad I tried this one!

Simmering:

gallery_34972_3580_149320.jpg

Ready for the oven:

gallery_34972_3580_241149.jpg

Done:

gallery_34972_3580_237983.jpg

Plated:

gallery_34972_3580_112552.jpg

Little Ms. Foodie's chowder left me craving summery chowder.  Being in the midwest, I decided to go for shrimp since good seafood is tough to come by ( :sad: ).

Spicy shrimp corn chowder

Not so photogenic, but delicious all the same.

What are you talking about - 'not so photogenic'?! :blink:

It's beautiful! :rolleyes:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Last night - an incredible Thai red curry using leftover *gasp* boneless loin pork chops that was perhaps the best curry I've ever made....redolent of coconut milk and lime (juice & peel) and fish sauce and red curry paste and basil. I'm REALLY proud of myself for using leftovers !!!..

Tonight........Champagne (lots) and popcorn. It's my birthday and THAT'S what I wanted (plus, I had a huge lunch from my group at work....good soul food, and I went out over the weekend to celebrate).

But let me tell you, Champagne and popcorn works.

*And* I got a digital camera as a prezzie, so watch out Dinner Thread ! My pics are coming !!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"