• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Could we be so fortunate to have the Mojito recipe?  It's going to be really, really hot this weekend and I bet a cool Mojito is going to be in order!

This isn't an unusual mojito recipe by any means; I mostly just choose ingredients carefully and make sure not to make it too sweet.

2 oz añejo rum (I use Appleton V/X)

1/2 oz fresh lime juice

scant 1 tsp demerara sugar

6-8 spearmint leaves

Lemon Hart 151 Demerara rum

soda water

garnish: mint sprig

Place mint leaves in the bottom of a sturdy mixing glass (or shaker). Add sugar and lime juice. Muddle the leaves gently against the bottom/side of glass; the goal is to squeeze out some essence, and let the rough sugar abrade the leaves a bit, but not to shred them. Add the rum and stir briefly to combine. Remove the mint leaves.

Add ice to shaker/glass and shake for ~10 seconds. Strain into chilled collins-style glass. Add ice cubes -- the bigger the better. Drop in one of the squeezed-out lime shells. Top with an ounce or so of soda water. Float a couple of teaspoons of Demerara 151 on the top by pouring over the back of a spoon. Add a mint sprig and straw; enjoy.

Actually, the size glasses we have are perfect for making this a 1.5x recipe (3 oz rum, 3/4 oz lime juice, 1.5 tsp sugar, etc.), but the standard size drink is what I have listed.

I've found prefer the añejo rums to silver/white (unaged), however, be careful, as "gold" rums contain sugar and would make this way, way too sweet.

Rather than using generic soda water, it might be worthwhile experimenting with one of the Dry Soda products for a flavor twist, though it's possible the flavors would be overwhelmed by the rum and lime. If trying those, though, I'd reduce the granulated sugar a bit. I think any sort of other normally-sweetened soda would be too much.

[edit: fixed typos]

Thanks for the recipe. Would it get off-track if I added a few fresh blackberries or blueberries to the Mojito? If I add berries should I muddle them a bit with the mint or put the berries in whole at the last minute?

I had a really good Blueberry Mojito at Spago in Las Vegas one summer that was really great.

I think a Mojito might be good with some barbecued meats.

Thanks for the recipe.  Would it get off-track if I added a few fresh blackberries or blueberries to the Mojito?  If I add berries should I muddle them a bit with the mint or put the berries in whole at the last minute? 

I had a really good Blueberry Mojito at Spago in Las Vegas one summer that was really great.

I think a Mojito might be good with some barbecued meats.

Nothing is sacred and I would add whatever you think sounds good! Both of those berries would be excellent. I'd personally suggest muddling them with the mint, lime juice (which you may want to cut back just a wee bit to let the berry flavor through) and sugar, so that they get pulped and release all their juices. It's even more important to strain the mixture into the glass at that point -- the last thing anyone wants is a bunch of pulped blueberry skins (and mint leaves) stuck to their teeth or blocking their straw!

-Dayne aka TallDrinkOfWater

###

"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks

Hello, all! 

Shal –             gustorial (is that a word?) gathering

Kim

Gustatory or even gustative would be the adjectives to use. Tut-tut; all that expensive education! :wacko:

Ted

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

For those who don't know, Ted is my dad - and one of the sources of payment for that expensive education :raz: !

kim

Cape Breton (N.S.) Lobster Boil

I spend lots of time in Cape Breton and have to taste the oysters, they always seem to be from Prince Edward Island. Were they as good as they look?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'm in heaven. I wait all fall, winter and spring for this meal, my favorite of all times. Although none of the produce was from my garden (the tomatoes will be ready soon!), it is all fresh from the afternoon farmer's market and picked this morning. BLT's and sweet corn!

gallery_6263_35_43463.jpg

Now, I'm picky. The corn must be ubber fresh, the butter cold. The toast very toasted, and the bacon good. While I normally make my own bacon, Heidi's friend brought us some bacon (raspberry chipotle) from my favorite bacon market.

I have extra already cooked bacon and more corn for breakfast tomorrow. If I had one final request, it would be for sweet corn, and to add bacon, good bread and fab tomatoes to the menu is just guilding the lily (can you tell I LOVE corn?).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm in heaven. I wait all fall, winter and spring for this meal, my favorite of all times. Although none of the produce was from my garden (the tomatoes will be ready soon!), it is all fresh from the afternoon farmer's market and picked this morning. BLT's and sweet corn!

Oh Susan! I will be dreaming about this one.

I'm in heaven.  I wait all fall, winter and spring for this meal, my favorite of all times.  Although none of the produce was from my garden (the tomatoes will be ready soon!), it is all fresh from the afternoon farmer's market and picked this morning.  BLT's and sweet corn!

Now, I'm picky.  The corn must be ubber fresh, the butter cold.  The toast very toasted, and the bacon good.  While I normally make my own bacon, Heidi's friend brought us some bacon (raspberry chipotle) from my favorite bacon market.

I have extra already cooked bacon and more corn for breakfast tomorrow.  If I had one final request, it would be for sweet corn, and to add bacon, good bread and fab tomatoes to the menu is just guilding the lily (can you tell I LOVE corn?).

Oh, that is so beautiful, and such a perfect meal. Now I'm craving a BLT - but tomato season is a good 6 weeks away here!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Ok, so I ordered a ridiculous amount of seafood from Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. Since I'm in Kansas, that's about my only option for good seafood. It arrived yesterday and DANG it looks good. I got razor clams, Kumamoto oysters, squid, prawns, scallops and this wonderful looking pepper smoked salmon. Tonight we'll have the oysters on the half shell and I dunno what else yet.

Had meetings last night, so I didn't get a chance to do anything fancy. I steamed some squid and scallops in butter and garlic for just a few minutes. The squid was so tender! I had some pasta and sauce on the side.

gallery_54689_4781_1108533.jpg

Night before last I had some left over crab meat so I made crab alfredo. The sauce was definitely NOT low fat. Butter and cream and butter and cream :raz:

gallery_54689_4781_445494.jpg

Some of these photos are absolutely stunning.

Had a light dinner last night:

Chilled soba noodles, topped with grated daikon and chopped scallions.

Seaweed salad, with sesame salt, chilies and rice vinegar.

Broiled tofu with miso paste.

No pix unfortunately since I had to recharge my batteries.

Shelby which place in the market did you order from?? we usually buy from Fresh Fish when we are down there, they do have the BEST smoked salmon!!!

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/store/default.aspx

I think it's just called Pike Place Fish Market. I know it's right out front by that big clock. I sure enjoyed walking around in there. So much to see--and so crowded. I'm short--5' tall, so it was hard for me to see it all lol.

I'll have to google Fresh Fish and see if they're online??!

Hello, all! 

Shal –             gustorial (is that a word?) gathering

Kim

Gustatory or even gustative would be the adjectives to use. Tut-tut; all that expensive education! :wacko:

Ted

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

For those who don't know, Ted is my dad - and one of the sources of payment for that expensive education :raz: !

kim

AWESOME!! :laugh:

Some of these photos are absolutely stunning.

Had a light dinner last night:

Chilled soba noodles, topped with grated daikon and chopped scallions.

Seaweed salad, with sesame salt, chilies and rice vinegar.

Broiled tofu with miso paste.

No pix unfortunately since I had to recharge my batteries.

Soba!! How wonderful to see you here. :smile:

Your dinner sounds delicious!

Soba having soba....hmmm I dont have my rooftop deck to grill on anymore :wink:

gourmet night here, thats gourmet with a"hard" T at the end...hot dogs baked beans and mac n cheese

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Soba having soba....hmmm I dont have my rooftop deck to grill on anymore :wink:

. . . and we haven't had crabs yet this summer. :hmmm:

Continuing our mild dinner theme we made banh mi with grilled char siu pork, liver pate, carrot-daikon pickle, thinly-sliced cucumbers and jalapenos, Maggi sauce, and mayo. For bread, we offered a choice of hollowed-out mini-baguettes or roasted garlic ciabatta. Sliced cukes on the side, of course.

We marinated strips of Boston butt for eight hours in five-spice powder, hoisin sauce, honey, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, black soy sauce, sugar, and Shaoxing wine. Here is the char siu hot off the grill, before resting and slicing. It turned out nicely - charred and full of flavor outside, tender and juicy inside.

Gotta make something spicy this weekend, though. :rolleyes:

gallery_42956_2536_29049.jpg

I've been a long-time lurker on eGullet and, of course, the Dinner thread. This is my first official post.

Here are two recent dinners:

Pizza

gallery_55092_4871_156977.jpg

Pork chop (which looked better before I cut it in half) with grilled red pepper glaze, cheddar stuffed pattypan squash, tomato arugula red pepper wheat berry salad.

gallery_55092_4871_1366165.jpg

(First post (!), :wink: )

josh

So many good dinners here, very inspiring.

Tonight we had something different (for us) since my twin children turned two years old. We had a surf and turf: beef ribs and sea catfish (aka seawolf, wolf eel, Atlantic cat) Never had the fish before, it was very nice, white and sweet like haddock. I probably went for it based more on price than reputation. It was $11/kilogram and I have never met anyone who has bought, ordered, coked or otherwise eaten it.

And until I taste otherwise I believe pork to be the better rib, beating beef for price and taste.

gallery_42214_4635_87209.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_57238.jpg

those are button mushrooms with sharp cheddar, young poatoes and grilled bread.

the fish was done in a foil pouch built up as follows:

gallery_42214_4635_55513.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_182627.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_226361.jpg

the oranges were dominant, spinach and yellow zuke and red onion looked and tasted well enough. Probably didn't need soy sauce and olive oil in the pouch, but cracked black pepper made it happen for me.

The kids were not too into it, favouring the strawberry dessert (no pic) We are having a real more kid-friendly birthday deal in 10 days or so. I predict I will photograph and post more food at that time.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I've been a long-time lurker on eGullet and, of course, the Dinner thread.  This is my first official post.

Pizza

Pork chop (which looked better before I cut it in half) with grilled red pepper glaze, cheddar stuffed pattypan squash, tomato arugula red pepper wheat berry salad.

(First post (!),  :wink: )

very impressive first post!! so what is the pizza to the side? looks beautiful also!

very impressive first post!! so what is the pizza to the side? looks beautiful also!

Yes, and how do you get your pizza so round? :biggrin: Welcome!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've been a long-time lurker on eGullet and, of course, the Dinner thread.  This is my first official post.

Pizza

(First post (!),  :wink: )

Hi Saucee! I'm new, too, so we can be new together :raz:

That pizza is making me drool!

Long-time lurker, first time poster...

First of all, I want to say "you all" are totally amazing! You have inspired me in more ways than you'll ever know.

Last nights dinner was success.... I riffed off of a few eG meals, and used some JUMBO shrimp (13-15/lb), sauteed with onion (red), halved grape tomatoes, and loads of garlic... deglazed with a pino grigio, finished with a ton of fresh italian parsley, lemon zest and basil. Damn it was good - simple, but good.

I've got to replace my stolen digital camera - it was a meal I'd be proud to post.

I used five shrimp (they were enormous) and could only eat two! I swear if you closed your eyes, they were better than lobster. :wub:

Breakfast is gonna rock!

Jamie

ETA grape tomatoes - a crucial ingrediant!

Edited by Jamie Lee (log)

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy