• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

I cooked from Hot Sour Salty Sweet.

This is the squid with ginger garlic sauce and the spicy cucumber salad and some coconut rice from the Cradle of Flavor cookbook.

I had a more colorful picture with cilantro sprinkled on the squid but I accidently deleted it :hmmm:

gallery_46943_4831_601735.jpg

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

Marlene, you're training your son well. You must be very proud of him!

I am indeed. Both dishes were his idea. He looked through some cookbooks and came up with them. He did everything himself, from start to finish. He also made a dessert that I didn't show, a blueberry and white chocolate mousse that came out really well. He's decided that while we're at the cottage, when he's up here, he wants to make at least one dinner and one dessert every week. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

No pictures as we were starving by the time everything was cooked.

Supper last night: fresh yellow squash (baked for me and grilled for him), fresh okra (okra and tomatoes for me and fried for him), fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh cantaloupe, grilled strip steak and boiled shrimp that were head-on and picked up from south Louisiana a day before (never frozen).

It was all perfect! So fresh and so simple.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

I'm new at taking pictures of food  :biggrin:

Last night I made the Grill Roasted Clam Linguine and the Spanish Style Grilled Vegetables with Breadcrumb Picada from the July issue of Bon Appetite. Both were yummy!

gallery_46943_4831_816076.jpg

Nice shot- one can tell that the linguine was just perfect (always one of my favorites).

I also smoked some ribs tonight, and for the first time in a long time I just said "whatthehell" and grabbed the camera at the last second, and I guess I'm following through on that attitude by actually posting the hasty photo. These were really good, fwiw- smoky but not too much so, and tender in the same way.

gallery_21237_2573_41937.jpg

Shelby- I am officially jealous of your dill growing abilities. I grow about a dozen herbs regularly but cannot get my dill to be anything but leggy. I'm sure it was great on that lamb. It is something I'd love to use with more regularity.

It's been a while since I've posted to this thread and, jeez, you folks are all amazing. I've got some catching up to do but even the last few pages have been a real treat to look through. I'm looking forward to the rest.

RIBS *drooling* We're going to do some of those soon. I hope they turn out as good as yours!

I live in southern Kansas and have had a hard time with dill myself. This year has been SO rainy and cool (highs in the low 80s when it's usually 100) that the dill has done pretty well. Believe me, it's usually all dried out by now and don't have ANY for pickling.

ETA thanks for not dogging my dill choice on the lamb. I was hoping people didn't think I was weird lol

Edited by Shelby (log)

I find dill to be pretty damn popular on lamb, probabley second to rosemary....can't stand either one myself but that makes me weird

actually my husband wont eat eat lamb without cucumber dill sauce

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I find dill to be pretty damn popular on lamb, probabley second to rosemary....can't stand either one myself but that makes me weird

tracey

Phew, another non-dogging post lol!

I like the flavor of rosemary, but I hate biting into the seeds--sets my teeth on edge lol.

I cooked from Hot Sour Salty Sweet.

This is the squid with ginger garlic sauce and the spicy cucumber salad and some coconut rice from the Cradle of Flavor cookbook.

I had a more colorful picture with cilantro sprinkled on the squid but I accidently deleted it  :hmmm:

gallery_46943_4831_601735.jpg

:angry: Thanks a Lot! Now I have this urgent NEED for Squid, and no place to buy it within 150 miles!

:wink: That looks amazing, I am actually drooling here!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

tracey

I like the flavor of rosemary, but I hate biting into the seeds--sets my teeth on edge lol.

Rosemary? SEEDS???

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

And tonight it was rack of lamb, with a dijon, garlic and parsley crust, with leftover grilled potatoes that I sliced and fried in butter and freshly shelled peas with butter.

gallery_6080_205_57287.jpg

We've also had occassion to do a pork roast, a prime rib on the spit and a smoked pork butt on the smoker.

Marlene, what a gorgeous rack of lamb. Perfectly cooked just like all of your Rib Roasts.

Nice to see your son taking an interest in cooking.

Between Bruce's and Tongorad's smoked ribs, I have a big craving.

Last night's dinner was a small Prime Rib done on the grill. I had pre-salted it the day before.

gallery_27944_2966_378189.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_407131.jpg

For tonights dinner I used leftovers from Monday night's Mexican leftovers. Scrambled eggs with black beans and salsa. Stuffed the corn tortillas with a little cheese.

gallery_27944_2966_112219.jpg

wow you guys, all the mexican food has me craving enchiladas!! nice work all!

we went to a bbq on tuesday and brought these deviled food cupcakes with espresso merengue frosting (crazy i know but i did actually BAKE these- and they didn't suck! :smile: )

733658793_69a9d44d2a.jpg

then today we started with cherry caipirinha's thanks to eG'er Della bringing us fresh cherries off her tree the other day!

733457003_b7760e03ab.jpg

served with the last of our Acme bread we picked up in San Fran on sunday- toasted with evoo and a big slice of fresh mozzerella on top, more evoo, s&p and garden basil.

733457229_1336976e67.jpg

followed by salad nicoise and a white burgandy enjoyed out on our deck

733457325_72f6fa20df.jpg

733457409_7b740e2a77.jpg

tracey

Rosemary? SEEDS???

LOL that's what I call rosemary--seeds. Blech. Someone ought to invent ground rosemary!

Gorgeous photos Chufi. I love the closeup of the pasta. Meatballs with eggs...very unusual. My little guy saw the photo and now wants "spaghetti with meatballs".

Wendy those drinks are beautiful. My sweetie would love love love that salad. Simple but satisfying and it takes your mind straight to the Mediterranean...

Ann, your meals look delicious.

Wednesday night we started with peppers grilled with mozarella and anchovies - inspired by Dave Hatfield's eG Foodblog here..

Grilled Baby Peppers from Holland with Caciocavallo and Anchovies

gallery_41870_2503_65892.jpg

Farmer's Market Oyster Mushrooms with Olives, Madeira and Cream

gallery_41870_2503_27788.jpg

Last night was our anniversary. My sweetie brought me long-stemmed red roses :wub: . I made him some fish! My older guy - already in tune with the concept of romance at age 6 - also picked out some oysters for starters; but after my husband had shucked them we decided they were not in good enough shape to eat. I think my son was more disappointed than we were. We like our oysters around here.

Trout with Fan of Yukon Golds, Asparagus, Lemon and Olives

gallery_41870_2503_41943.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_33851.jpg

Edited by Shaya (log)

Good looking food on this thread....as always.

Here's what I fired up on the charcoal grill this week:

Cheeseburger

gallery_21049_162_18931.jpg

Niman Ranch 1/4 lb Hot Dog

gallery_21049_162_19064.jpg

Ribs

gallery_21049_162_2069.jpg

Lamb Kebabs & Burgers

gallery_21049_162_17578.jpg

And to balance out all the red meat....

Grilled King Salmon w/Pickled Celery

gallery_21049_162_14457.jpg

Shrimp Salad Roll - w/Fennel Fluer de Sel

gallery_21049_162_13602.jpg

Cilantro Chicken Stir Fry

gallery_21049_162_14667.jpg

And for Dessert....

Indian Alphonso Mangoes - These have been allowed back into the US after being banned for 18 years.

gallery_21049_162_816.jpg

"Indian Alphonso Mangoes - These have been allowed back into the US after being banned for 18 years."

Never heard of these........what is the taste difference and where do you find them?

I also made grilled salmon with wasabi ginger marinade and garlic butter grilled asparigus with truffle butter topped grilled fingerlings.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Last night I did one of my favorite dishes, 'Salt and Pepper Prawns with Chinese Cabbage Slaw and Candied Walnuts.'

I 'silk' the prawns first by marinating them in a combination of corn starch and egg whites. I make a coating out of ground szechuan peppercorns, black pepper, salt and flour. You deep-fry the prawns for a couple of minutes.

The walnuts are a great accompaniment for lots of dishes. I saute the walnuts in butter, brown sugar, a bit of water and cornstarch. I add cayenne, cinnamon, ground cloves and five-spice powder as the walnuts are cooking down. You only need to cook them for about 5 minutes, then let them cool on wax paper. You get this sweet, candy coating that has a bit of crunch along with a hint of spice from the different spices.

The coleslaw is so easy. I finely shred Napa cabbage and add shredded green onions and diced Chinese pickled cucumber. I buy the pickled cucumber in jars from the local Asian market. The cucumber gives a sweet and sour accent with a bit of crunch to the salad. The dressing is just fresh orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, toasted peanut oil, rice vinegar and a touch of granulated sugar. I dress the salad at the last minutes so the cabbage won't get limp. I garnish the salad with both black and white sesame seeds and some fried shallots. Fried shallots are like an upscale version of those funky French Fried Onions we use in Green Bean Casserole. I buy a huge container of fried shallots at the Asian market for under $5.00.

gallery_41580_4407_46595.jpg

Dessert was fresh Strawberry Shortcake. I make my own cakes using an old recipe out of the Betty Crocker cookbook for 'Biscuits Supreme.' I change up the recipe a bit by brushing the tops of the biscuits with melted butter and giving them a sprinkle of coarse baker's sugar just before baking. The strawberries we have this Summer are very sweet and delicious-maybe because their last few days on the vines have been under intense heat. Maybe our string of 95-105 degree days have intensified the sugar in our strawberries. If so, thank you Mother Nature. Enjoy.

gallery_41580_4407_21675.jpg

David, you've made me drool this morning.  I envy the fresh strawberries!

Hey you just gave me an idea. I think I'll be having strawberry shortcake for breakfast today!