• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Came across some fresh Porcini and immediately the dish that jumped in my head was one I was served at Le Cinq in Paris this past winter.

So, I here is my version of the dish - Porcini Rissotto with root vegetables in a Lobster and Scallop cream sauce . The root vegetables were carrots, celery, turnip and parsnips. The sweetness of the cream plays off well with the sweetness of the lobster and scallops.

gallery_21049_162_42937.jpg

Poaching the lobster and scallops in butter

gallery_21049_162_37941.jpg

the official taste tester checking the lobster

gallery_21049_162_8073.jpg

Making the risotto with porcini

gallery_21049_162_14957.jpg

Making the froth

gallery_21049_162_16896.jpg

While this dish lacked the finesse of what I was served at Le Cinq, it was quite tasty.

ETA : Shalmanese, happy belated birthday. BTW, it seems my invitation was lost in the mail :raz:

Cheers

Percy

Edited by percyn (log)

Percyn, you have the luckiest kitty on the planet!

I brought an amazing amount of really good cherry tomatos, so we had BLTS, which I did not share with my cat, Linus.

---------------------------------------

Surprise, surprise, you made gnocchi! :laugh:

Happy, happy birthday, buon compleanno e bon

Anniversaire! :smile: No cake, I could understand, but

You mean to say you let the celebration begin without

Artichokes???! :shock:

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Percyn, you have the luckiest kitty on the planet!

I brought an amazing amount of really good cherry tomatos, so we had BLTS, which I did not share with my cat, Linus.

Not even a smidge of bacon drippings on the kitty food? :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Liuyang black bean chicken [variation using fermented black bean sauce instead of rinsed fermented black beans] and steamed peas with ginger, both from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook. Served with ginger scented coconut rice from Cradle of Flavor. So a bit of mixing Chinese with SE Asian, but the result was delicious.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Liuyang black bean chicken [variation using fermented black bean sauce instead of rinsed fermented black beans]  and steamed peas with ginger, both from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook. Served with ginger scented coconut rice from Cradle of Flavor. So a bit of mixing Chinese with SE Asian, but the result was delicious.

I had black bean sauce too! I sizzled some ginger and garlic in oil, added BBS, and tossed with blanched haricot verts. A great accompaniment to pan roasted wild Copper River salmon with a drizzle of Yuzu rice wine vinegar. Delish and quick. Take that Rachel Ray!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

6oz. Blue Prawn, P4 Potatoes™ and Salmon Tartare to start.

(P4 Potatoes = Parmesan & Parsley Parisienne Potatoes)

p4p1.jpg

Plated.

p4p2.jpg

My pattented P4 Potatoes™ Close-Up

p4p3.jpg

6oz. Blue Prawn Close-Up

p4p4.jpg

Salmon Tartare w/ Pita Crisp

Et voila.

Bueno! Those photos are to die for! Please please please tell me if I lick my screen I'll taste potato?

Last night was roasted lemon garlic chicken with fresh oregano and mint, roasted over some new potatoes... Mmmmmm...

gallery_51217_4287_535729.jpg

Tonight is burgers -- am making my own buns for the first time. A new recipe for me -- the recipe has bacon fat in it, which sounds just about perfect. I'll let everyone know how they turn out!

Emily

Percyn: That looks wonderful – I would probably enjoy old shoes in lobster and scallop cream sauce.

Judith: That sounds like a delicious dinner - I love both of those dishes.

Bueno: Wow!

Scubadoo: Those grilled shrimp look great – care to specify which “Asian flavors” you used?

Ann_T: I am very sorry about your loss.

Tonight we made grilled walleye salad, based on a recipe in Thai Food. I could probably have done some fun garnishes, but after feeding the boys and their friends we were were just plain hungry. Grilled stuff and green stuff – summer in a bowl. For a mini-pictorial, see Thai Cooking at Home.

gallery_42956_2536_13993.jpg

Scubadoo: Those grilled shrimp look great – care to specify which “Asian flavors” you used?

Bruce, the shrimp were marinaded in kecap manis, soy, Thai sweet chili sauce, a chili paste of chili flakes, oil and peanuts, a touch of lime juice garlic and ginger. I grilled the shrimp on the gas grill and heated the leftover marinade to drizzle over the shrimp.

Bruce, the shrimp were marinaded in kecap manis, soy, Thai sweet chili sauce, a chili paste of chili flakes, oil and peanuts, a touch of lime juice garlic and ginger. I grilled the shrimp on the gas grill and heated the leftover marinade to drizzle over the shrimp.

Thank you - I bet that tasted really good.

Bueno, those potatoes look great. Is the red colour simply from being rubbed with tomato paste before cooking, or something more involved?

Tonight was something special. Since I'm on holidays I went back to the family home for the first time in a while and cooked a big dinner.

First: Toasted baguette slices with various toppings: 1. garlic butter; 2. olive tapenade; 3. pecorino, tomato confit, and basil. These were a real hit. Even my sister who normally won't eat olives loved the tapenade.

gallery_38684_2093_38682.jpg

Second: Pumpkin soup with nutmeg sour cream. This was a slightly modified Bouchon recipe. I used to add nutmeg to the pot of pumpkin soup, but combining it with the sour cream really brings it out as a distinct complementary flavour rather than just a background flavour.

gallery_38684_2093_21554.jpg

Salad: Just a garden salad, with lettuce, baby rocket, red & yellow cherry tomatoes, and a nice vinaigrette made from basil oil and balsamic.

gallery_38684_2093_23669.jpg

Main course: Ossobuco and gremolata served with risotto milanese. The ossobuco was good but unfortunately not as flavoursome as I would have liked. The risotto however turned out brilliantly. At my place I cook risotto in an aluminium pot on an electric stove. Cooking it in a proper wide, rounded pot over a gas stove makes it effortless to prepare well.

gallery_38684_2093_33175.jpg

Dessert: Soft-centered chocolate puddings with walnut-flavoured custard and vanilla ice cream. Pretty damn tasty. Each element was delicious on its own (even the supermarket-brand ice cream!), but together they worked perfectly.

gallery_38684_2093_705.jpg

If you look closely you can see the top-left pudding is a little collapsed. It stuck and dropped to the side when I was turning it out of its ramekin, and without thinking I reflexively caught it.I gave my left hand an impressive sear, but saved the pudding. It was worth it.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Thank you, doc! The red I think you're noticing is a smatterin' of smoked paprika - something that routinely finds it's way into my spicing routines when potatoes are involved.

Your meal (aka glorious feast) looks exactly that: glorious.

Everyone's dinners look great. Here is a dinner from the other night. Pork chops in Jerk marinade, ala Emeril. The sauce is bbq'd gingered sauce. The potatoes are roasted in garlic olive oil with parsley, salt and pepper.

gallery_45680_4699_1063082.jpg

Tonight's Father's Day dinner for my dad, was chateaubriand with a red wine reduction sauce (forgot to photo with the sauce), potatoes dauphinois ala Tony Bourdain, salad with raspberry vinegarette, blue cheese, bacon and dried cranberries. The bread was sourdough with a roasted garlic butter. Dessert was port brownies with ice cream.

gallery_45680_4699_749337.jpg

PORT Brownies??? damn!!! that sounds divine!

first night back in the kitchen in a long time and it wasn't very good :angry:

salad with plums and parmesean was good and will be made whenever plums are in the house!

563273583_4dee62929a.jpg

scallops with mushrooms and shallots served with spinach and ricotta papperdelle were fine but not great and not very photogenic

tonight we had much better luck in the kitchen!

started with a shaved raw artichoke, parsley and manchego salad with proscuitto and flat bread served with Amber Dream cocktails enjoyed out in the sun on the balcony.

567063208_55be9daef5.jpg

next up lamb shnitzle with aioli and tarragon roasted zucchini & onions with goat cheese and olives

567063384_77ccc1167d.jpg

pinot noir in the glass, cocoa nibs for dessert :biggrin:

Wendy, you too can make port brownies. I am almost embarrassed to say this, but use a box brownie mix ( I like the Hershey's triple chocolate) Instead of two tablespoons of water, use two tablespoons of port. It gives the slightest hint of port in the brownies and very tasty. I also like to add extra chocolate chips in the mix, or cut up candy of your choice, not peanut butter cups anymore, and you probably wouldn't be able to use those either, but andes mints, or any other candy works well as long as it has chocolate. :wub:

Today was our 8th year anniversary but no special dinners or meals. Eldest son has the pink eye (the one who broke his big toe a week ago).

I did make homemade ravioli with homemade marinara sauce.

gallery_48583_3621_105273.jpg

gallery_48583_3621_337358.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Wendy, when I saw your roast zucchini I knew what I wanted for dinner! No tarragon so I added rosemary, and sprinkled some walnuts on top. Lovely!

we also had a clear-out-the-fridge salad with eggs, caper/parsley dressing, and hot potato'croutons'.

gallery_21505_2929_34687.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_4888.jpg

Wendy, when I saw your roast zucchini I knew what I wanted for dinner! No tarragon so I added rosemary, and sprinkled some walnuts on top. Lovely!

we also had a clear-out-the-fridge salad with eggs, caper/parsley dressing, and hot potato'croutons'.

gallery_21505_2929_34687.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_4888.jpg

Love the "potato croutons" idea! Very clever.