• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Shalmanese, that was some spectacular dinner!

Something a bit more simple for dinner tonight:

gallery_15557_2797_2108.jpg

Chicken kabobs marinated in a red curry sauce (from a bottle, trying to pare down the pantry) over peanut slaw, with steamed broccoli topped with more of the red curry sauce.

gallery_15557_2797_20029.jpg

And on the side, deviled eggs.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Comfort food for a cold evening: Lasagne.

gallery_38684_2093_18678.jpg

Peter, this is a bit overdue, but you asked the other day about a chicken I roasted. I can't remember the exact weight, but it was a huge bird raised somewhere here in South Australia. I roasted it as simply as possible -- rinsed and dried thoroughly, then the outside and inside dusted with salt and pepper. It cooked for about an hour, basically until the temperature inside the thighs was 155F. Towards the end of the cooking I sprinkled some thyme over the breasts.

(edited to correct a typo)

Edited by doctortim (log)

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Last evening, chicken teriyaki sandwiches inspired by a long-ago Dotchi no Ryori show, with Tillamook Swiss type cheese, tomato, lettuce, on toasted Portuguese sweet bread I'd made on the wknd. Five-starch salad, as we call what our favorite Japanese place serves with lunch specials: Elbow macaroni, potato, carrot, corn, peas, mayonnaise.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Eilen -- YUM! Chorizo makes nearly anything better . . .

I think I just found the next flavour for the ice cream maker!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

We did a fun take on pizza tonight with a Whole Wheat Spaghetti Pizza...

The base is held together with milk and an egg and we topped it with shredded chicken, marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and sliced garlic. It cut pretty clean and held together surprisingly well!

gallery_51259_4126_50452.jpg

DesertCulinary: very cool, and very tasty looking!

carbonara.jpg

Far too hot out to spend any time over an oven, and have been meaning to do my take on this after being frequently inspired by other's versions lately.

... actually used Aleppo pepper flakes after the photo (my go-to for carbonara if I don't go with massive amounts of freshly cracked black).

Really nice food going on here. Peter I love the look of the shrimp and chips dish. My older guy said, "that looks great". I know about the cornmeal trick as I've read about it in many an Italian cookbook; now I must try it.

Doctortim, Lasagna looks great; my husband opened up the week by hinting that it's been awhile since I made mine. It's one of our favorites.

Bueno, beautiful fish (salmon?) and gorgeous plating. Carbonara looks great too.

Bruce, so much great food; satay - yum; the lamb; the paella. You are a walking ad for that high-powered stove you have!

Chufi, scrolling down the page I know your photos any day. Your pork looks delicious. Love all the photography.

Ann, aside from your amazing meals, I must comment on all the gorgeous bread you've been baking. Do you freeze the extra loaves and if so do you notice any major change in texture? I always freeze the extra flatbreads that I bake, but I haven't tried with loaf-style breads.

Edited by Shaya (log)

Celebration - Part 1 - of my birthday last night.

Last year this time a friend - who loves to bake, not so much to cook - asked me what we were having for my birthday dinner. I told her I'd made ravioli. Did you make a cake? she asked. Ah, no, I made ravioli, I answered. Then I got the "look". You HAVE to have a cake on your birthday! she said. So I made a cake for myself. And perhaps a new tradition is born.

I made my dream meal.

Started with an Australian Seaview Sparkling Shiraz

First time we tried this. It was very fruity, strong berry notes, almost felt like the wine we used to drink as kids at Passover. Refreshing, but I much prefer the Banrock Station that we usually buy.

gallery_41870_2503_54570.jpg

Gnocchi alla sorrentina - homemade potato gnocchi baked in a my marinara sauce with basil and fresh mozarella

gallery_41870_2503_204767.jpg

Local Organic NY Strip Loin - with Fleur de Sel

Fennel Braised with White Wine, Garlic, Anchovies

gallery_41870_2503_378617.jpg

Bittersweet Chocolate Torte with Homemade Raspberry Sorbet

gallery_41870_2503_39705.jpg

One more dinner from the other night, another type of gnocchi called Gnudi which means naked. It's like the insides of a ravioli without the pasta. Made from ricotta, flour, pecorino romano, egg, parsley ...

I like these a little crispy so I sautee in butter after boiling.

Gnudi con Pancetta e Fava

gallery_41870_2503_63796.jpg

Shaya: Happy birthday! What a delicious-looking birthday dinner, especially the braised fennel, gorgeous gnocci - well, all of it, really.

Tonight we grilled Delmonico steaks. The boys ate their steaks plain, with jasmine rice and tomatoes on the side. The grownups ate Thai marinated beef salad with cilantro, mint, basil, lemongrass, and shallots. More information on Thai Cooking at Home (click).

gallery_42956_2536_44101.jpg

It was my day off so braised shortribs and gravy, roasted carrots, basmati rice and a vinegar dressed slaw. For dessert cherry crumble with vanilla ice cream.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

GreekCook: Thank you, and apologies. :smile:

Shalmanese: What, no dessert? :wink:  No seriously, that is an amazing and ambitious meal. I’m exhausted and hungry just looking at the pictures. When did you start cooking, and how many contributed?

I’ll start lobbying now for an invite to your 40th. :laugh:

Ling brought brownies and I made some fruit frozen yogurt thing which remained uneaten.

I cooked everything myself except the last 2 dishes which were made by Ling. It was fun but I don't think I'll be doing it again. Then again, that's what I said last year :biggrin:.

Happy Birthday Shal! sorry we weren't able to join- you definately had a stellar meal there!

and potato is my favorite butter flavor! :raz:

cheers!!!

Tonight we enjoyed fragrant-and-hot jumbo shrimp (xiang la xia) from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, grilled eggplant salad (yam makreua yao) from Thai Food, jasmine rice, and cukes for the boys. We cooked the shrimp with ginger, garlic, chile bean paste, chopped salted chiles, scallions, red bell peppers, dark soy sauce, and sesame oil. The sauce was delicious – fragrant, spicy, and full of shrimp flavor.

The eggplants were charred on the grill, peeled, and mixed with shallots, mint, scallions, roasted chile powder, lime juice, fish sauce, and dried shrimp. Mrs. C loved the taste but not the texture, so took a stick blender to the eggplant mixture. :biggrin: Smoky, spicy, minty, definite make-again.

gallery_42956_2536_47666.jpg

Shaya Sending Happy Birthday Greetings your way.

Ann, aside from your amazing meals, I must comment on all the gorgeous bread you've been baking.  Do you freeze the extra loaves and if so do you notice any major change in texture?  I always freeze the extra flatbreads that I bake, but I haven't tried with loaf-style breads.

I've been baking and freezing bread for years. I found that wrapping the bread first in paper towels and then into freezer bags is the best way. Seems to prevent the bread from getting soggy when it is thawed.

DoctorTim Perfect lasagna.

Bueno Your carbonara looks delicious.

Bruce Your dinners always make my mouth water. I found the recipe on line for the fragrant-and-hot jumbo shrimp. I want to try making it using our local prawns.

It has been a very sad week for us. Our beloved sheltie "Stetson" has been failing for a while and last Friday was his last day with us. I haven't much felt like cooking until the last couple of days.

Tuesday night I made tacos out of pork carnitas with homemade corn tortillas and fresh salsa.

gallery_27944_2966_408257.jpg

Last night was grilled Veal chops with baby yellow beets, mashed potatoes and green beans.

gallery_27944_2966_741300.jpg

I baked brownies this morning and had one for my dinner tonight.

gallery_27944_2966_246737.jpg

It has been a very sad week for us.  Our beloved sheltie "Stetson" has been failing for a while and last Friday was his last day with us.  I haven't much felt like cooking until the last couple of days.

Ann, my condolences on the loss of Stetson. I know how much it hurts to lose one of our fur people. He's up there flirting with my Ella, and they're both running with the big dogs.

Edited to fix bad quote techniques..........

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I had Dr Bobs while visiting SIL in Salt Lake and it is awesome. The choc on pictured earlier is divine and the sour cream and straberry is just a good. Best store bought ice cream I have ever had.

lucylou,

I have never seen dr. bob's ice cream. That particular variety sounds amazing. Is it just local for the Sacramento area? I've never seen it down here in the Bay Area.

Bella,

Here is their website. It appears that you can order them online. They show a bunch of stores in SF area that they sell it at. Scroll down to the bottom of the locations page. It's really really good.

http://drbobsicecream.com/index.html

Thanks Kim for the compliment. :wub: