• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Wow, it is so easy to fall behind on the dinner thread. There are so many amazing dinners.

I love all the Mexican/Tex-Mex dinners.

Lucy this looks sooooo good.

Here are a few of our recent meals. Moe's birthday dinner earlier this week started with a salad, with a main course of veal piccata made with veal tenderloin so the meat was cooked medium rare and served with a side of pasta with a vodka, tomato, basil and cream sauce.

gallery_27944_2966_313068.jpg

Dessert was individual Pavlovas with fresh strawberries soaked in Grand Marnier.

gallery_27944_2966_668379.jpg

Wednesday night we had grilled pork tenderloin with a warm potato salad.

gallery_27944_2966_626939.jpg

Thursday night we had grilled prawns over spaghetti Aglio E Olio.

gallery_27944_2966_365214.jpg

Last night's dinner- Chicken Chop Suey

gallery_27944_2966_227040.jpg

and tonight a grilled New York Strip roast served with mushrooms and parisienne potatoes.

gallery_27944_2966_157671.jpg

Tracey, the skirt steak looks absolutely perfect!

Ann, all of those pictures are definitely droolworthy!

Last night I made medianoches and had chips and pico with them. For the filling I used carnitas.

medianoche1bp9.jpg

medianoche3py6.jpg

Rocky

Please always feel comfortable in the Dinner! forum.  I encourage anyone and everyone to join us.  From my perspective, just sharing the joys of food and cooking is the greatest gift we share with each other.  And while sometimes we may talk about a cheeseplate with a rare, artisan cheese or an ice cream spiked with an unknown fruit liquer, we also talk about mac and cheese and what the kids like-aka pizza.  Some of the photos are quite beautiful and could easily grace the pages of one of the national food magazines, but as others have said, a humble photo of a dish of spaghetti may elicit more positive feedback than a closeup shot of a slice of foie gras.  Food is food and it is beautiful, delicious and knows no boundaries. 

So please don't hesitate to join us.  You'll find the Dinner! forum is one of the highest visited forums and you are welcome anytime.

Yeah, what David Ross said.

Stephanie: Thanks, and beautiful fajitas!

Anne_T: Awesome as always.

After picking amazing strawberries and filling up on strawberry crisp this afternoon, we had a light dinner of Larb Laab Larp.

Larb gai

gallery_42956_2536_51283.jpg

I decided to take a trip to my local Asian grocery store on Thursday of last week to get some of the ingredients for a Chinese/Thai style menu.

I had been thinking about making Shrimp Toasts for a long time and they turned out very good, albeit rich because they are deep fried. I added some really stinky shrimp paste to the shrimp mixture. That little bit of shrimp paste added an incredibly deep shrimp flavor.

gallery_41580_4407_14419.jpg

I served the Shrimp Toasts with some bottled sweet chili sauce. I thought a nice, clean and refreshing salad would be the right counter to the rich Shrimp Toasts.

This is a salad of rice vermicelli with a simple dressing of soy sauce, orange juice, sesame oil and rice vinegar. I added some carrot, shitake, sweet red pepper, green onion, sesame seeds and cilantro.

gallery_41580_4407_7492.jpg

The entree I did was what I call a Thai Red Curry Seafood Stew. The broth is a mixture of seafood stock, coconut milk and red curry paste. I add a few drops of fish sauce, sesame oil and toasted peanut oil. The background flavors come from garlic, shallot and ginger. I always put in the same herbs-mint, basil and cilantro. This time I added prawns, clams, salmon and calamari. Sometimes I change up the seafood based on what sounds good to me at the time. The red curry paste is mildly hot-I purposely don't make it too hot because my tastebuds don't do well with really fiery foods. Enjoy.

gallery_41580_4407_52531.jpg

I was reading a blog by member BigHoss about his BBQ Joint when I saw this sandwich....

just felt the need to share, if I actually had the sandwich I probabley wouldn't share though :shock:

gallery_23695_426_254.jpg

cold smoked foie gras, pulled pork, truffle oil and balsamico tradizionale

gallery_23695_426_13689.jpg

and this is a whole, cold smoked foie

Dayum

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1332319

tracey

Oh yeah my real dinner was a feeble attempt at butternut squash gnocchi and a chewy chuck steak

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Here is last night's spaghetti and meatballs dinner. It's Tyler Florence's Ultimate recipe, and let me tell you, these meatballs rocked. The picture doesn't really do them justice...but after they are browned, they are put in a baking dish with tomato sauce, which was really fresh and clean tasting, if that makes any sense (with San Marzano tomatoes) and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese and then baked. Oozzy goodness. The recipe that I followed to the letter, said it made 10 meatballs, but I really yielded about 19 slightly larger than a golf ball size. They would have been softball size if I only made 10!

gallery_45680_4699_359203.jpg

Along side, we had roasted garlic (that I tried with fresh basil) and pugliese bread

gallery_45680_4699_425079.jpg

Last evening, the traditional all-Costco wild salmon season meal: Grilled Copper River sockeye served on top of organic spring mix, LBB baguette, delicious very inexpensive, OK cheap, Rosemont Shiraz. Only the Tillamook salted butter had to be found elsewhere.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

tracey - your glisteny skirt steak made Mr. Kim and I drool!

Ann - the pavlova is gorgeous and, as usual, your roast makes me want to run straight to the butcher shop!

Rocky - the medianoches :shock::shock::shock: OMG! That looks so amazingly good! The crust is just absolutely perfect. I want one! What all is in yours - and how does medianoches differ from a Cuban sandwich?

David - I love shrimp toast and yours is so pretty. I love the concentrated scatter of sesame seeds.

lucylou - when we went to Florida in April, our friend, Stephanie, made these meatballs. I agree with you - they rocked!

OK, now after looking at the last couple of days, all I can think about is strawberries and shrimp :laugh: !

Mr. Kim made dinner last night. It was great! He did a Spinach and Citrus Salad:

gallery_34972_3580_522190.jpg

And Giada's Chicken Parmesan:

gallery_34972_3580_1015056.jpg

You know, every Giada recipe we have ever tried has been really good. There is an idea for a thread, maybe - TV recipes that work and that DON'T :smile: !

Kim

Tracey, how was the corn this early in the season? Should I be buying some Jersey corn tonight?

After a couple of months' hiatus from the Dinner thread (so busy tackling my new Host duties!), I'm back! I spotted some wild asparagus yesterday, and decided to make this...a little garlic, butter, salt and pepper, and spaghetti, of course.

gallery_26775_1623_19756.jpg

It was awfully tasty.

ETA: Inspired by last night's dinner, I wanted to start a topic on wild asparagus - turns out there already is one!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. Here is my first post in the dinner forum. Last night's dinner was grilled, butterflied cornish hens from the June/July issue of CI, roasted cauliflower from recipe gullet, and scalloped potatoes with parmesan. Not shown: steamed, first-of-the-season fresh butter and sugar corn.

gallery_51874_4568_216967.jpg

Megan! Oh how I've missed your pastadinners. How good to see you. :smile:

kbjesq: now that wasn't hard was it :wink: I´m so glad you took the plunge. Your dinner looks delicious and I can´t wait to see more of your food!

here´s our dinner. I was supposed to make this a month ago when I was blogging. I kept thinking about asparagus risotto but somehow was never in the mood for risotto. I finally made it today and it was soooo good. One of the best things I´ve made in a long time! Home smoked salmon (from the cameron stove-top smoker) on top!

gallery_21505_2929_91316.jpg

Looks beautiful (and delicious) Chufi.

Great looking dinner Megan, I have yet to see those wild asparagus in real life but I've seem them on eGullet so they must exist :raz: .

A big welcome to you kbjesq!

Chufi, that Asparagus risotto looks wonderful. After a trip round Germany a few years ago my wife always raves to me about Spargel. She says it's really delicious but i'm sure she just loves to put on a comedy German accent and shout "Spargel!" at me... :biggrin:

Never tried it myself. I've never seen in sold fresh here in the UK but i'm sure i've seen it in jars. Chufi, do you know how the Spargel in jars compare to the fresh?

Tonight i made a Goats cheese, prosciutto and red onion tart (shop bought puff pastry i'm afraid!):

gallery_52657_4505_392557.jpg

Sugar snap peas (from the same source as my haricots vert), bacon and sauteed onions. OH MY GAWD; too yummy! (Holy s*&t! We've got spell check!) :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

This is a great thread - I had no idea there were so many enticing images, and so often. I have been in withdrawal since me eG foodblog ended a week ago - now I have found a good place to share everyday meal photos.

Yesterday we had some frozen seafood (shrimp and scallops) battered and fried along with potato fries. This is the kind of thing you can get in the all pubs here and not something I would do very often at home. I'll call it a "frito misto":

gallery_42214_4635_58403.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_16839.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_78670.jpg

gallery_42214_4635_45920.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.  Here is my first post in the dinner forum.  Last night's dinner was grilled, butterflied cornish hens from the June/July issue of CI, roasted cauliflower from recipe gullet, and scalloped potatoes with parmesan.  Not shown:  steamed, first-of-the-season fresh butter and sugar corn. 

gallery_51874_4568_216967.jpg

That looks absolutely delicious!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

That looks absolutely delicious!

Marcia.

Thank you, Marcia. I'm learning that taking photos of food is more difficult than preparing it. :angry:Peter's fried seafood looks so good!

Last night we started with a cod and shrimp chowder with lemon thyme, followed by parmesan-crusted chicken breasts, browned butter brussels sprouts (say that 3 times, fast!) and sourdough toast with roasted garlic. I'm going to work on my photography skills.

gallery_51874_4568_305790.jpg

gallery_51874_4568_418694.jpg

Yeow the fried seafood looks so good, Peter the E.

Last evening, salmon chowder using the remains of the other night's salmon and a broth made from the carcass resulting from filleting, with applewood-smoked bacon, yellow potatoes, onions, cream. CUCUMBER spears with crunchy salt. LBB baguette.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Kim, the difference between medianoches and a regular cuban sandwich is in the bread. Medianoches call for a sweeter cuban roll, the mexican rolls I used are sweeter than the french rolls most people have available to them so I go ahead and call them medianoches. Mine contained, carnitas, ham, provolone, pickles, caramelized onions, and mustard.

Peter, great looking seafood fry!

Klary, just beautiful and delicious looking as always.

Kbjesq, welcome and that looks like a wonderful crust.

Rocky

Looking forward to David's foodblog! Guess that lets Dinner! readers out of the guessing, however... shhhh!

thx Priscilla, I was stumped by the teaser. I still don't know who David is or where he is - I think I saw "American Costco products" on the shelf, and perhaps a cold room for hanging beef? Or are those beef cattle? Whichever it is that kitchen looks like a place for some outstanding grub. Can't wait.

While looking around at earlier posts this picture really caught my attention:

gallery_21505_2929_35662.jpg

It´s sheep! or let´s call it mature lamb.. anyway it´s delicious, very tender and even the layer of fat was delectable.

Chufi, I am a huge lamb fan but have never had mature sheep or mutton or whatever you might call it. It looks extremely inviting - I have no idea where I should find such meat. Do you find lamb vs. sheep at all like veal vs. beef?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack