• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

And here´s tonight´s dinner! Come on, people, we need more dinners on the Dinner thread! :smile:

gallery_21505_2929_180225.jpg

Braised escarole with lemon and pinenuts, mash with zucchini, and meat with bleu d´auvergne butter. Meat, what kind of meat?

gallery_21505_2929_35662.jpg

It´s sheep! or let´s call it mature lamb.. anyway it´s delicious, very tender and even the layer of fat was delectable.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Come on, people, we need more dinners on the Dinner thread!  :smile:

YES MA'AM!!! :biggrin:

As the wife was out i did some Szechaun-style beef for myself yesterday. I did the macho thing and made it probably two degress too hot, the holy basil made it really nice though..

gallery_52657_4505_199022.jpg

Today, it was Osso bucco with orecchietti again - my wife's favourite...

gallery_52657_4505_442072.jpg

lucylou,

Thanks for the tip. The stores on the list are easy enough to get to. I have been trying hard not to buy ice cream, (there is a corrolation between the fact that I buy it and then we eat it), but that sounds like it really needs to be tried.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

lucylou,

Thanks for the tip. The stores on the list are easy enough to get to. I have been trying hard not to buy ice cream, (there is a corrolation between the fact that I buy it and then we eat it), but that sounds like it really needs to be tried.

No problem..its so rich, that a few spoonfuls will satisfy you.

Come on, people, we need more dinners on the Dinner thread!  :smile:

YES MA'AM!!! :biggrin:

As the wife was out i did some Szechaun-style beef for myself yesterday. I did the macho thing and made it probably two degress too hot, the holy basil made it really nice though..

gallery_52657_4505_199022.jpg

Today, it was Osso bucco with orecchietti again - my wife's favourite...

gallery_52657_4505_442072.jpg

Food is sin and temptation and... I've run out of nouns, but wouldn't unholy basil really take things up a few notches?

I really have to make orecchiette once. It really looks good.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

And here´s tonight´s dinner! Come on, people, we need more dinners on the Dinner thread!  :smile:

Chufi, I love your posts, your blogs, your dinners and your photos.

But speaking for myself (and I suspect a few other egulleteers), I read the dinner thread every day with the intention of joining in. Then I look at the marvelous photos and descriptions of what you all are serving, and I think (as in Monty Python's Holy Grail), "I am not worthy!"

P.S. I used to think I was a good cook, until I joined egullet.

Last night's dinner consisted of Ling Ling frozen potstickers. We drizzled hot chili oil on top

gallery_45680_4699_613167.jpg

Then my boyfriend did a hybrid Hot and Sour soup from America's Test Kitchen.

gallery_45680_4699_857314.jpg

To balance the flavors, a nice pinot rose from Santa Barbara area. You may remember this winery from "Sideways". We went and checked it out last year while down there attending a wedding in September.

gallery_45680_4699_1194736.jpg

And here´s tonight´s dinner! Come on, people, we need more dinners on the Dinner thread!  :smile:

First, I want that bleu d'auvergne butter. I focused on that right away and as soon as I get some more stinky blue cheese (I, um, ate the last of it last night), that's going on the menu. Oh, I suppose I'll have to serve some kind of meat under it.... :wink:.

Second, the sesame zucchini you made somewhere upthread inspired tonight's vegetable:

gallery_15557_2797_27486.jpg

Grilled London Broil, sliced thin, with grilled zucchini slices with a sesame oil vinaigrette (made with rice vinegar and a touch of Penzey's Oriental Mustard powder, needed a little more salt but easy enough to correct) topped with toasted sesame seeds. Very subtle and refreshing. Tossed salad on the side not worth photographing.

kbjesq: it takes a lot of courage to post one's first dinner, especially when there are some intimidatingly good cooks around here (not to mention good photographers!). I'm quite sure you're a very good cook, and I would encourage you to post - one of the many wonderful things I've learned since joining eGullet is that what seems ordinary and easy and commonplace to one person is unique and exotic to someone else.

This is why I've posted pictures of dinners that were hot dogs and cole slaw :biggrin: .

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Stephanie: Thanks! Chimichurri on steak looks delicious, and I love roasted Vidalia onions.

Shaya: So would one serve strangolapreti to the local, um, preti (probably displaying my ignorance of Italian)? :rolleyes: Your little guy is making remarkably sophisticated food, he must have a good teacher!

Perhaps your boys can cook them for you next time.

Perhaps some day, but right now they are not interested delaying gratification for very long (although they have learned that real bacon is better than pre-cooked). :biggrin:

Kim: No more Mexican food for you, young lady – I don’t want to read about you in the papers.

Klary: Now that you mention it, one of your potato-chorizo creations may have been running through my subconscious when I picked that recipe. That, and the fact that we had some chorizo to use up.

Tonight we made red-braised tilapia . . .

gallery_42956_2536_4038.jpg

. . . and stir-fried baby bok choy with black beans and garlic. Basmati rice and cukes on the side. Details on Chinese Eats at Home (click).

gallery_42956_2536_4823.jpg

Here is our dinner tonight.  We had a delayed Memorial Day BBQ, since we hung out with friends last night.  We started off with a little cheese and sourdough bagettes.  I was inspired because of you all here (food blogs, etc.) to try some new cheese, and tried the Beechers which I really liked.  The other cheese was also very good too.

gallery_45680_4699_1127670.jpg

Beechers is made here in seattle, we love it too!!! :smile:

Here's the five course dinner I made on Sunday.  Sorry for the horrible quality of the pictures; I am currently without a good camera, so a phone camera had to suffice.

rwsweet that whole meal looks awesome, I would love if someone made that for me! very nicely done!!

gallery_21505_2929_180225.jpg

Braised escarole with lemon and pinenuts, mash with zucchini, and meat with bleu d´auvergne butter. Meat, what kind of meat?

gallery_21505_2929_35662.jpg

It´s sheep! or let´s call it mature lamb.. anyway it´s delicious, very tender and even the layer of fat was delectable.

Klary as I was looking at your post dayne looked over and said YUM! so maybe beige is the new green? :raz:

we had veal chops purchased from our farmers market- oven roasted with rosemary, garlic, evoo- pan deglazed with vermouth fo a sauce. also green salad and gnocchi parisian

IMG_2573.jpg

I gotta say it was all tasty!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

First, I want that bleu d'auvergne butter. I focused on that right away and as soon as I get some more stinky blue cheese (I, um, ate the last of it last night), that's going on the menu. Oh, I suppose I'll have to serve some kind of meat under it.... :wink:.

My mix was 2/3 cheese and 1/3 butter.. a little pepper and a little nutmeg because I like that with blue cheese.. and I ate the leftovers straight from the fridge at midnight.. so you really don´t need the meat :laugh:

But speaking for myself (and I suspect a few other egulleteers), I read the dinner thread every day with the intention of joining in.  Then I look at the marvelous photos and descriptions of what you all are serving, and I think (as in Monty Python's Holy Grail), "I am not worthy!"

P.S.  I used to think I was a good cook, until I joined egullet.

Thanks kbjesq.. but really, please, show us your food one day! purplewiz said it so well:

kbjesq: it takes a lot of courage to post one's first dinner, especially when there are some intimidatingly good cooks around here (not to mention good photographers!). I'm quite sure you're a very good cook, and I would encourage you to post - one of the many wonderful things I've learned since joining eGullet is that what seems ordinary and easy and commonplace to one person is unique and exotic to someone else.

There are readers from all over the world on this thread.. you never know who you might inspire.. this is the great thread of everyday meals, at least that´s how I see it. We all love food, that´s why we´re here!

Edited by Chufi (log)

kbjesq, I am fairly new to the dinner thread, and was a little nervous at first, but you know what, no one ever comes out and say's, "hey that sucks" or "what were you thinking?" Sometimes you get good comments on your pictures, sometimes you don't get any comments. Don't take that personal, since some might be just cruising through really quick and no time to comment, or else they aren't in the mood to comment. I know that since I have been posting pictures, I have made it a "hobby" of mine to get the best picture possible. There is a thread on another forum here that talks about the way to maximize taking pictures, which offers a great amount of help.

Post away, you never know when someone will be inspired to try something like you are cooking. I've tried several things from here, since I use this thread as inspiration to cook something out of my normal routine.

Good luck!

Rocky - that summertime meal looks fantastic. Can't wait for good tomatoes so we can do some caprese!

kbjesq - please, please do join in! I am the most ordinary cook in the world - I have a huge interest in food and love to cook, but I am anything but fancy and I finally got up the nerve and am now addicted to photographing my food and posting here! It is so interesting to me to see how people all over the world eat (make sure to read the blogs - they are amazing) on an everyday basis.

Bruce - :laugh::laugh::laugh: - ok, ok, no Mexican anytime soon - but I do have some leftover chorizo - can I freeze it until the ban is lifted?

Wendy - this is so odd - I just last night bookmarked the Jacques Pepin recipe for Gnocchi Parisienne in some magazine (F&W?) to make soon. How were they - as easy as promised?

Last nights dinner was another easy one:

An odd throw together salad of Napa cabbage, my Dad's Caesar dressing and a topping of toasted ramen noodles, sesame seeds and almonds (all leftovers):

gallery_34972_3580_1239071.jpg

A really simple marinara on some cavatelli that a friends mom sent us from Philly -it is Napoletano's Pasta out of Springfield PA:

gallery_34972_3580_1245388.jpg

Garlic toast (Texas Toast brand :blush: - a guilty pleasure) and these wierd little things that Mr. Kim loved and I didn't. They were also from the friends mom in Philly. They were stuffed olives - homemade. They were huge green olives stuffed with a mixture of finely ground chicken, pork and beef - breaded. I fried them in hot oil to serve. The meat mixture was just a mush, but what I objected to was the extreme saltiness (and this is from someone who grew up sipping olive brine as a treat - another guilty pleasure, I guess :raz: ). I am sure that they were labor intensive and very fiddly to make. Anyone else know about these things? I am guessing they are Italian-American based on the lady who made them:

gallery_34972_3580_1300712.jpg

Kim

this is the great thread of everyday meals

All in all, however, I think THAT is the most awe-inspiring and intimidating thing ! (the emphasis is mine......) :wink:

yes, but, look at the last page.. there´s steak with baked potato, hamburger and fries, ham and cheese omelet, tomato salad and frozen potstickers! Sure, there´s also foie gras and homemade pasta .. but really not everything is that fancy.. I still feel that it´s the variety which makes this great!

I´m the Dinner!thread advocate! :laugh:

Okay I´ll shut up now :smile:

Wendy - this is so odd - I just last night bookmarked the Jacques Pepin recipe for Gnocchi Parisienne in some magazine (F&W?) to make soon. How were they - as easy as promised?

KIM: yes very easy! we used duck eggs cause that is what we had so ours are a big yellow-er in color. I also drizzled some olive oil on top, I've made another similar version baked in a gorgonzola cream sauce. I just love them as a side! I think you should make them soon so we can compare!!!

These meals are brought to you by inspiration of Snowangel

first the marinated grilled skirt steak about to be turned into Fahitas with grilled corn

gallery_23695_426_483243.jpg

the second being..."uhm what else can you do with the pulled pork??, well Susan makes tacos or something with it!"

gallery_23695_426_135676.jpg

gallery_23695_426_388647.jpg

gallery_23695_426_73845.jpg

Flour tortilla, refried beans, leftover smoked butt, tomatoes and "salsa dip" not pictured with lettuce and avocado

Yummy thanks for the ideas

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracey, pulled pork and sweet corn in one meal? I, on the first day of June, can only dream of the latter, and think that maybe I should add a nice big butt to the grocery list.

The tomatoes are in, and a couple of plants look like they are going to sprout buds, but, oh, sweet corn! Give me until late July, and that's all you'll see here. In the meantime, it's been all about smoked ribs and brisket!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Tonight we made wok-seared shrimp with garlic and chile (from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. For sides we had pork-fried rice, leftover sambal belacan, basil, cilantro, eternal cukes, and mealy tomatoes. Last time we made this I didn’t get the wok hot enough, but this time I seared the shrimp good and proper.

gallery_42956_2536_10109.jpg

But speaking for myself (and I suspect a few other egulleteers), I read the dinner thread every day with the intention of joining in.  Then I look at the marvelous photos and descriptions of what you all are serving, and I think (as in Monty Python's Holy Grail), "I am not worthy!"

P.S.  I used to think I was a good cook, until I joined egullet.

Please always feel comfortable in the Dinner! forum. I encourage anyone and everyone to join us. From my perspective, just sharing the joys of food and cooking is the greatest gift we share with each other. And while sometimes we may talk about a cheeseplate with a rare, artisan cheese or an ice cream spiked with an unknown fruit liquer, we also talk about mac and cheese and what the kids like-aka pizza. Some of the photos are quite beautiful and could easily grace the pages of one of the national food magazines, but as others have said, a humble photo of a dish of spaghetti may elicit more positive feedback than a closeup shot of a slice of foie gras. Food is food and it is beautiful, delicious and knows no boundaries.

So please don't hesitate to join us. You'll find the Dinner! forum is one of the highest visited forums and you are welcome anytime.