• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Hey, dividend, how about the general recipe for the leek pasta. Sounds great!

Leek pasta recipe is from my CSA's online newsletter archive here. You won't be disappointed. I love the flavor imparted by caramelized leeks and garlic.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

First dinner: Chipotle and cornmeal crusted snapper (it looks fried, but was baked in the oven with no oil added, turned out great, with a crispy spicy crust), black beans with coriander yoghurt, avocado/tomato salad and broccoli.

Yum! Mind sharing your recipe for the crust? I've got some cod filets that I think I'd like to try this on.

I chopped up some chipotles in adobo, mixed in a little limejuice and salt. Smeared the fish fillets with this, then dipped in fine cornmeal. The original recipe (I think from one of the Moosewood books) mixes some oiliveoil with the peppermixture, which helps to brown the crust better - mine was a bit dry.

Healthy week, dinner 2:

lean lambchops, grilled. Bulgur with parsley and sultana's, salad of fennel and tomato with basil, and a roasted eggplant/garlic sauce.

One teaspoon of oil in the entire dinner for the 2 of us (on the chops before grilling)

gallery_21505_2929_153464.jpg

This was a winner even in a simplified version, Risotto done with a mix of chicken stock with a little seafood base with Shrimp sauteed with 6 cloves of garlic, red onion lots of butter, worchestershire, lemon juice and black pepper

A riff on Dave the Cook's New Orleans Shrimp

gallery_23695_426_458038.jpg

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

WOW...everyone's dinner is just beautiful! I don't have pictures I am still leaning to use my camera...I am almost embarassed to say I have a salad I bought pre-made.....hey, it least it had goat cheese...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Dessert was a Chocolate Cream Cheese Loaf cake.

gallery_27944_2966_445714.jpg

Oh, recipe, PLEASE! I have a whole club full of people just waiting for that cake...! :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Judiu I found the recipe on this Blog.

Zu's Kitchen. I made two small mini loaves, but next time I think I'll make muffins. My husband loved this cake.

Today was a bake day. I was out of bread and I wanted to bake some for the freezer, get a little ahead before the weather gets to warm to want to bake. I made four different batches.

First three batches from the morning.

gallery_27944_2966_318417.jpg

Fourth batch was made with a sourdough biga. Total of 9 loaves.

gallery_27944_2966_149039.jpg

Dinner tonight was grilled halibut.

gallery_27944_2966_80666.jpg

Once again beautiful pictures and food! I too would love that cake recipe!

I had some plain baked chicken, rosemary carrots and rice and peas. I still haven't figured out my camera, so no pics..sorry :(

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Judiu  I found the recipe on this Blog.

Zu's Kitchen.  I made two small mini loaves, but next time I think I'll make muffins.  My husband loved this cake. 

Today was a bake day.  I was out of bread and I wanted to bake some for the freezer, get a little ahead before the weather gets to warm to want to bake.  I made four different batches.

First three batches from the morning.

gallery_27944_2966_318417.jpg

Fourth batch was made with a sourdough biga.  Total of 9 loaves.

gallery_27944_2966_149039.jpg

Dinner tonight was grilled halibut.

gallery_27944_2966_80666.jpg

Thanks for the link; now to find my conversion tables to fix the metric stuff...

:wacko::laugh:

BEAUTIFUL breadstuff!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Klary: Wow, that looks delicious. If you are looking for healthy eats, with judicious selection Asian food seems to maximize (flavor+nutrition)/(calories+fat). :wink:

From Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Steamed chicken with chopped salted chiles; stir-fried green beans with ground pork and preserved mustard greens; and jasmine rice. The chicken was OK, but I liked the green beans a lot. More on Chinese Eats at Home.

gallery_42956_2536_48485.jpg

I brought home a case of twelve fragrant Mexican mangos from the Indian market. The boys have already devoured half of the mangos. OK, maybe I helped a little. :wink:

gallery_42956_2536_37513.jpg

Healthy dinners, # 3

Ricepaper rolls with chicken, yellow pepper, beansprouts, mint & coriander

gallery_21505_2929_127272.jpg

The fact that those are healthy is definitely a bonus because my time when I'm not cooking is largely devoted to my training but they're just so much better than the thick, deep fried things that I'd probably eat them even if they were less healthy. Now I want some, guess I'll have to make a trip to the store.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Rack of lamb tonight with green beans and fingerling potatoes roasted in duck fat. This time, I added a little lime juice and garlic paste to the mustard butter compound, and at the end, I tossed in a little bit of parmesan cheese just before the beans were finished. They were really really good.

gallery_6080_205_114220.jpg

I forget to mention the butter tart squares I made for dessert: :biggrin:

gallery_6080_205_66926.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I thought I had take pictures of this roast chicken I made, but when I went to download the pictures, they were not there! bummer!

I had roast chicken, with veggies.

Marlene, that rack of lamb looks fantastic!

Scallops, cauliflower pureé, caper vinaigrette.

gallery_54082_4688_15706.jpg

last time I made scallops they stuck a little, no beautiful crust like that :sad:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I threw some nice, thick ribeyes on the grill and served them with polenta with garlic and chives from the garden, blanched some asparagus, wrapped it with prusciutto and tossed it on the grill and did some fondant potatoes with olive oil and butter. Nothing ground breaking or earth shaking but everybody seemed to enjoy it. I didn't get pics, I had some friends over and wasn't really thinking about the camera.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DanielM: That’s a beautiful first post – welcome to Dinner!

Our dinner was from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. More information on Vietnamese Food (clickety).

Char siu pork (thit xa xiu)

gallery_42956_2536_43871.jpg

Banh mi with char siu and liver pate

gallery_42956_2536_318.jpg

Spinach stir-fried with garlic

gallery_42956_2536_26303.jpg

ETA: pate!

Edited by C. sapidus (log)