• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Klary, you make the most beautiful food!  Great looking bread, nice texture.  What are you doing to keep your seeds sticking on top?  Just curious as I'm having a hard time with that task without egg or milk.  Let me know your secret?

Your salmon braise looked really good, especially the shallots and the potatoes.  You make salmon look good to those of us who don't even like it.

Thanks SushiCat.. no secret, I used an eggwash made with 1 eggyolk and a bit of water! Wouldn't know how to make them stick otherwise :wink: )

Just a short hello to say thank you for more dinner inspiration. (Nice to see you Ann T and glad you have a wider audience for your beautiful food and photos. I was reading from the bottom up - most recent backwards i.e. and when I saw the lamb, it was :laugh: Aha! Ann!!!)

No dinner chez nous tonight but as always, dinners of others do look sooo good.

Maureen

Maureen Hi, nice to see you posting here.

Shaya All your dinners are special. Perfectly seared Tuna, and ooh those golden potato slices.

Klary Like Shaya's, your dinners are always something I'd be happy eating. You take the best food photos.

Kim You influenced dinner tonight. Just had to have grilled hot dogs. Served with homemade fries.

gallery_27944_2966_348613.jpg

This one is mine. Just tomatoes and onions. Moe had his topped with tomatoes and onions too but he also had mustard and a red pepper relish.

Ann

I'm slowly getting my energy back, so tonight I was able to cook a full dinner again. Inspired by other posts in this thread, I rubbed my pork chop with salt, cumin, and black pepper, seared it on both sides, then stuck it in the oven for 10 minutes. To go with it I made garlicky red potatoes and cucumber slices doused in cider vinegar.

All of my pictures are hosted on my own server, and my connection has been terrible recently, so you have about a 16% chance of having trouble loading this picture; but if you wait long enough it should come up. :wink:

porkchop.jpg

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

I am beginning to get BBQ envy with all the gorgeous glazed and smoked dinners here.

Gorgeous bread and meatball dish, Chufi. Overeating is a hazard when you make your own bread. Last time I made baguette my little guy and I stood over the counter after dinner was over and kept taking "just one more piece". He's an eater after my own heart. :wub: I think most bread really is best just after it's baked. The following night he asked for a piece of the same baguette and was disappointed, saying, "It's not warm inside anymore". :shock:

Hmm, i love tuna tataki. Are those pan-fried potatoes with that fish, Shaya? If so, that is very posh fish & chips indeed

Prawncrackers - thank you for finally putting a name to this crazy meal I prepared. I kept telling myself, what are you doing, fried potatoes don't go with raw fish, but another voice kept saying, it's ok, it's a classic combination. I couldn't put a finger on it until you mentioned it - it's the good 'ole fish 'n chips combo!

Kellytree that is very interesting ravioli. I suspect the buckwheat is in the dough; what's inside the cute little parcels?

Ann, your homemade fries look different this time - they look more like mine usually do. Did you use a different type of potato? (Incidentally, last week with my burgers I made mine with russet potatoes to see if they'd look more like yours!)

The other night I made good old macaroni cheese, this time trying out a Delia Smith technique. Essentially it's macaroni cheese as per normal, only with 2 egg whites whisked and folded in before baking. While I wasn't 100% pleased with the results (following her instructions, some of the egg overcooked and took away from the creaminess of the macaroni), I plan to experiment further with using egg, next time at a lower temperature.

gallery_38684_2093_5308.jpg

Here's a shot of Sunday's meal. It was originally intended to be Mother's Day lunch, but with other family members running late it became a late lunch/early dinner. Mashed potato, barbecued beef loin (at Mum's request, just under well done. Oh well, it was was Mother's Day after all), gravy, and a sweet potato, castello, and toasted walnut pasta salad.

gallery_38684_2093_25880.jpg

For dessert sis made a pavlova with pineapple, but that went far too quickly to get a shot of. Great company, great food -- all up it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time!

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Ann, your homemade fries look different this time - they look more like mine usually do.  Did you use a different type of potato? (Incidentally, last week with my burgers I made mine with russet potatoes to see if they'd look more like yours!)

Shaya, I always use Russet potatoes. But I have found that some potatoes seem to brown more than others. Must have something to do with the natural sugars. Also, I decided to make the fries at the last minute so they just had a short soak in cold water. Which also might have something to do with why they look a little different. Usually I soak them much longer. I did do the two stage fry though. Anyway they did taste good and Moe said that he enjoyed his "hot dog dinner" almost as much as he did his rack of lamb. Should serve him this more often. :smile:

Ann

Ann

Hot dog dinner is also known as Gourmet Night in our house, my hubby's favorite

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I made a nice Broccoli & Ricotta Tart/Quiche earlier. There aren't any pictures of the innards, as we haven't cut it yet! :raz:

Here's my base at the last stage of blind baking.

gallery_49436_4583_74055.jpg

Here she is applying her make up, in the form of a spicy Broccoli puree and a bit of filling.

gallery_49436_4583_240626.jpg

Half an hour later, she's ready to go!

gallery_49436_4583_218854.jpg

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I made my best bread EVER today. Not that I've baked that much bread. But this was so good I could not stop eating. After dinner I was still tearing off pieces of bread, and eating them with butter and a bit of fleur de sel and a drizzle of honey. Oh so good!

Semolina olive oil bread

gallery_21505_2929_118421.jpg

I had it with Moroccoan spicy meatballs and eggs

gallery_21505_2929_69813.jpg

Where did you get the recipe for this bread?? It looks great!

Seems like I'm posting steak dinners a lot. Probably because I'm cooking them a lot. I've got a lot of other stuff going on, chuck eye steaks have been on sale a lot, and they're fast to cook. And they are reasonably photogenic (which dinners like the night before last's curry are not).

gallery_15557_2797_19132.jpg

This time the chuck eye was just rubbed with Penzey's Northwoods seasoning, and served with zucchini and mushroom kabobs which were marinated in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and salt.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Tonight I used my last pork chop in a slightly more involved dinner than last night.

gallery_29577_4663_27631.jpg

Boneless pork loin chop over spinach with a mustard-cream pan sauce (my first use of vermouth!) and roasted potatoes with garlic.

Edited by Restorer (log)

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

I've never been brave enough to post my dinner until now. I've started trying to learn how to take better pictures, and futzing around some with Photoshop. Forgive retro plate.

This was last night's dinner. A quarter of a roasted chicken, oven fries from the Cook's Illustrated method, and greens with tomatoes and asiago from Deborah Madison:

gallery_45424_4662_195023.jpg

That's not countertop under the plate, that's my roof! The lighting in my kitchen is abysmal, plus it was really nice out, so I sat outside to eat.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Meatfest 2007 is back on

a pair of lamb chops with panseard zucchini, garlic and diced tomatoes

gallery_23695_426_222527.jpg

the lamb was way underdone so I ate one all rubbery and threw the other back in the pan where it proceeded to somehow over cook itself :rolleyes:

the zucchini was really good though

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

the lamb was way underdone so I ate one all rubbery and threw the other back in the pan where it proceeded to somehow over cook itself :rolleyes:

the zucchini was really good though

tracey

:laugh: I hate it when that happens! However, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one whose meals don't always come out quite as well as I expect them to. (The zucchini looks really tasty).

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I couldn't think of a thing I wanted to cook for dinner tonight, so I decided to try a chicken satay recipe from this week's food section that looked pretty good:

gallery_15557_2797_35.jpg

The marinade was good, the technique was fine, the peanut sauce was lacking lots. But after I doctored it up it was quite tasty. Served alongside is the orange-oyster sauce broccoli that was making the rounds around here awhile ago (and it's still darned tasty).

SeaGal, you are by no means the only one whose dinners don't always turn out as planned...if I had a dime for every meal that needed help, I'd be eating out a LOT (on someone else's dime.... :biggrin:)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I couldn't find it in Recipe Gullet, and for the very life of me I have not been able to find the thread on it here through either search. It's been a long week.

I have a hardcopy of the recipe, it's from the New York Times on March 30, 2005. The title of the recipe is "Sauteed broccoli with toasted garlic, orange, and sesame". Unfortunately, the recipe is not available in the NY Times site without paying for the article.

Here's someone who did a riff on the original recipe, similar to what I do (right down to the jarred garlic) (shoot me if you must).

I'm not sure if it would be ok to put this into RecipeGullet - it seems to fall into one of those gray areas.

But it's really good.

Marcia.

eGullet foodblog

Marcia, I've been meaning to tell you that I made your Calabacitas recipe you posted a few weeks back over the weekend, with some chicken enchiladas verdes. It was DYNAMITE ! Thank you so much for sharing that, its a keeper for sure, and I will absolutely be making it again.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Not much cooking this week. One night we ate dinner at the Greek festival: gyros, spanakopita, roast chicken, dolmades, fries, ouzo, Greek wine, and baklava or Ben & Jerry’s for dessert. Another night the boys had KFC (their favorite) while the grownups went to a nicely-catered business meeting, with mushroom potstickers, deep-fried artichokes, bite-sized beef Wellington, salmon with cucumber scales, fruit, cheese, and free beer and wine.

With an opportunity to cook on Friday, we made a simple stir-fry of pork, wax beans, and chayote, seasoned with fish sauce, salt, sugar, and lots of garlic. Mrs. C declared it Wisconsin food because everything was white. :raz:

gallery_42956_2536_12436.jpg

I also made saag paneer (spinach curry with fresh cheese). I would love to make something like the palak paneer served at Siddhartha, a long-gone and much-missed Indian restaurant. The saag paneer had onions, ginger, garlic, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, coriander seed, garam masala, and a little yogurt, topped with chile-infused butter. It tasted entirely better than it looked. :rolleyes:

gallery_42956_2536_24948.jpg

So many wonderful meals, Marcia's steak, and kabobs, Restorer's Pork chop over spinach, Dividend's greens with tomatoes (Oh and I love the plate), Tracey's zucchini coins, and of course Bruce's dinners. So colourful, you just know that they taste as good as they look.

Thursday night's dinner was grilled baby back ribs Greek style, with a Greek vegetable stew, zucchini, potatoes and green beans.

gallery_27944_2966_308134.jpg

And last night we had grilled Italian Sausage in buns topped with fried onions and peppers. And I made Moe a tomato and boccoccini cheese salad.

gallery_27944_2966_581037.jpg

We did some rustic pizza with basil from the garden - for the sauce just blanched and peeled tomatos, crushed and blended with olive oil, garlic and salt.

gallery_38003_2183_972079.jpg

with a bottle of South African Wine

gallery_38003_2183_1049665.jpg

Simple and good.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I've been a member since March 2003, and I think this thread is nearly that old. :wink:

And this thread, I can browse it for hours with observing the obvious effort and care that people put into their food. Nice work, folks! :wub:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen