• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

ditto on the duck..... and my brother is David Ross

Wow. D Ross's popping up all over. There is a radio talk show host in Seattle named David Ross, so I often get the question if I am the same David Ross. Nope, not the radio talk show host from Seattle. But thanks to all for the nice comments on the duck. I plan on making a duck ragu with the left over smoked duck meat and serve that with some pasta. If I pull that off I'll post a photo of it.

I love the idea of the coriander paste on the trout. I'll have to try that. What were all of the ingredients in the paste?

I'm keeping it simple this week before I head off to Las Vegas for 5 days of food pleasure. Did a basic rotisserie chicken last night. And I know you will all be laughing at me about the method I use for roasting chicken. I've read Thomas Keller's recipe for the perfect roast chicken, read through Jacque Pepin's recipe, and settled on my own-using a "Showtime" Rotisserie from the one and only Ron Popeil. Yes, the same guy who coined the phrase-"you set it and forget it."

You really don't set it and forget it, but once you start the rotisserie it is a simple operation that takes only a few glances every 15 minutes or so to make sure the chicken doesn't get too brown. I buy small chickens under 3lbs. and then truss them and rub all over with olive oil to help the skin crisp. I season the chicken after it is done, which takes about an hour and 20 minutes. Yes, in the case of when I roast a chicken using Mr. Popeils invention, the phrase "As seen on TV" is actually true.

gallery_41580_4407_68204.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_28363.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_44783.jpg

gallery_41580_4407_45036.jpg

Beautiful chicken, David!

Here's yesterday's dinner. A celebration for husband and I finally recovering and being able to eat "real" food again. Vietnamese-style pho ga or chicken pho. I made the broth last winter and froze it for convenience. While I love beef pho, we usually go out to get that, but I love pho ga when I'm under the weather.

498598696_52e4749f06.jpg

Condiments, the best part!

498598726_752c774862.jpg

Pho ga

498598854_209f5a641e.jpg

Digging in!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Ann that all looks so gorgeous, especially that pot pie!

Prawncrackers I love the dim sum!

Mother's Day dinner with my GF's parents

Salad of Frisée, Haricot Vert, and butter lettuce

mothersday20071wa3.jpg

Asparagus and Avocado soup, with a seared scallop, I used the avocado to thicken the soup, but I forgot my blender was broken and so the result was not as smooth as I hoped.

mothersday20072dd8.jpg

Seared Cod on Beluga Lentils, and some braised ramps on the side, should have made more ramps

mothersday20073au0.jpg

Saffron and Herb Chicken Sous Vide, Balsamic Roasted Asparagus, Sautéed Oyster Mushrooms, and Shallot Sauce, I think I'm going to cut out the saffron next time.

mothersday20074cx8.jpg

Rocky

Wendy: Was the pepper-coriander paste from Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet? I have used that one on chicken, but not on fish.

SeaGal: Yum, pho! I have never had pho ga – only beef, meatballs, or various tendony bits.

Mrs. C loves walleye and found some at the store. While the boys and I were at swim practice, she prepared a Monday night fish fry, Wisconsin style.

gallery_42956_2536_23391.jpg

David Ross - both your onion rings and your Pommes de Terre Macaire look fantastic. I copied your directions for the potatoes and will be trying those as soon as I can! I am particularly envious of those gorgeous rings! I tried to make onion rings last week when I was staying at my grandmother's and it was a complete disaster! I did them the way I usually do, but they didn,t turn out well at all - they were limp and all the coating fell off :angry: ! And the duck was beautiful - what a gorgeous laquer he had!

Alinka - your buns are beautiful (well that sounds odd, huh? :huh: ) - I would love to have one of those right now.

little ms foodie - I love oysters rockefeller and those look perfect!

Bruce - your fried rice looks so wonderful. I really miss rice so much (can't eat it since I had a gastric bypass), I do a lot with orzo as a replacement, but some things just need rice!

Ann - what can I say. Every single thing that you posted was beautifully photographed and looked delicious! I am ready to pull up a chair.

Well, as for us, one set of pictures will suffice for both last night and tonight as we had the exact same meal. I am so busy this week - the child is graduating from college on Saturday and Sunday we are having about 75 people for a sort-of-Mexican buffet. Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup with all the fixings, Chicken Quesadillas, Beef Tacos with all the fixings, Black Beans, Spanish Orzo, Seven Layer dip, Brownies and Key Lime Shooters for dessert. Plus both sets of my parents (regular and step) are arriving Friday and staying through Monday, so I have all those meals in between to prepare :wacko: ! I really have no business being on egullet tonight, but I am multi-tasking by eating and surfing at the same time :laugh: !

Our elegant dinner tonight (and last night):

gallery_34972_3580_458559.jpgChili dogs, bbq beans, slaw, oven fries and my daddy's fantastic Caesar salad (not pictured).

Mr. Kim's plate:

gallery_34972_3580_1275997.jpg

Jan your chicken pho looks sooooo good.

David what a gorgeous roast chicken.

Thesorus Your lobster dinner has my mouth watering for a lobster feast.

Bruce Walleye is a favourite of Moes.

Kim Sometimes a hot dog is the perfect dinner. I like all your sides. The beans and the potatoes.

I grilled a small rack of lamb and made a fresh mint sauce. Served with roasted potatoes, asparagus and grilled tomatoes.

gallery_27944_2966_118041.jpg

Those are some gorgeous birds, David. By the way, my work colleague was also a David Ross!

Ann, I love the photo of those prawns. And that chicken pie looks divine- the delicacy of that flaky crust, the creamy goodness inside, perfect!

The other night we had a Persian Stew with Okra, Veal, Mint, lemon and lime.

gallery_41870_2503_65633.jpg

The following night we had my Eggplant Ricotta Sauce with Rigatoncini.

gallery_41870_2503_77624.jpg

and

Salad with Endive, Yellow Peppers, Pear-Blue Cheese, Toasted Almonds

gallery_41870_2503_45441.jpg

We found some gorgeous yellowfin tuna over the weekend; some of us had it sashimi style; my sweetie wanted his pan-seared.

Sesame Crusted Pan Seared Yellowfin Tuna with Sesame Wasabi Dressing

gallery_41870_2503_57903.jpg

I'm still checking out different beef suppliers at our farmer's market. This time I bought a boneless blade roast. I decided to make a stew based on a Jamie Oliver recipe. The verdict? I found this particular cut to have a lot of sinew. Once cooked the meat was very tender but somewhat stringy. Not my favorite cut, I'd say. On the other hand, the flavor of the stew and the dumplings were awesome.

Newcastle Ale Beef Stew with Dumplings and Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms

gallery_41870_2503_48131.jpg

Well, as for us, one set of pictures will suffice for both last night and tonight as we had the exact same meal.  I am so busy this week - the child is graduating from college on Saturday and Sunday we are having about 75 people for a sort-of-Mexican buffet.  Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup with all the fixings, Chicken Quesadillas, Beef Tacos with all the fixings, Black Beans, Spanish Orzo, Seven Layer dip, Brownies and Key Lime Shooters for dessert.  Plus both sets of my parents (regular and step) are arriving Friday and staying through Monday, so I have all those meals in between to prepare  :wacko: !  I really have no business being on egullet tonight, but I am multi-tasking by eating and surfing at the same time  :laugh:

Kim Shook, we will need a full report with pictures of that feast! :smile:

We had salmon braised with carrots and shallots in red wine, with wilted spinach and roast potatoes.

gallery_21505_2929_17707.jpg

Last night I took a break from the meatfest of the past few weeks when I saw the words shrimp-on-sale.

And so it was shrimp, diced tomato, diced onion and lots of garlic all cooked in a butter/olive oil mix. I sauced it up with a good splash of chablis and some fish stock, thickened with a cheat - flour wine slurry..... Over spaghetti

gallery_23695_426_375147.jpg

and tonight...grilled chicken, thighs for me breasts for himself. Served with guacamole, cucumber salad and a teeny tiny baked potato for me...a regular sized potato for him

gallery_23695_426_436955.jpg

thank you for your participation

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I rarely cook pasta, but I dug out my copy of Molto Italiano and decided to try out the spaghetti alla gricia. Bacon, garlic, red onion, pepper flakes and parm. What's not to like? The recipe called for pecorino which I didn't have. It did not call for the tablespoon of butter that I swirled in at the end eitther!

gallery_6080_205_34101.jpg

And biscuits from Fine Cooking:

gallery_6080_205_74328.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Kim: Can one make fried orzo? :smile: Looking forward to hearing about your feast.

Ann_T: Mint sauce on lamb sounds delicious.

Shaya: All of your dinners look good, but I adore salad with blue cheese and crunchy toasted almonds.

Klary: That is a picture-perfect picture, especially the glowing roast potatoes.

Tonight we made beef sate, banh mi, daikon-carrot pickle, and spicy hoisin-peanut sauce from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. I kept the grill medium-low to avoid overcooking the strips of flank steak. The picture is a bit dark, but the beef turned out tender with a nice crust. After taking the picture, I poured peanut sauce on my banh mi. Sacrilege perhaps, but worth it. :wink:

gallery_42956_2536_31907.jpg

C. Sapidus: Those bahn mi look so good. I keep meaning to make them, maybe this was the inspiration I needed. What kind of roll did you use?

Chufi: Your braised shallots are beautiful.

Marlene: The biscuits are so flakey!

We had a beautiful, warm spring day here in Seattle, so out comes the little Smokey Joe Weber.

500418222_7d9c8af37c.jpg

Grilled "Smart" chicken thighs (marinated in lemon, olive oil, sumac, garlic, coriander and cumin) with roasted red potatoes and salad of frisee, butter lettuce, arugula, fennel, parm and pine nuts w/ lemon vinaigrette. Inexpensive, but tasty white burgundy.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

We found some gorgeous yellowfin tuna over the weekend; some of us had it sashimi style; my sweetie wanted his pan-seared.

That tuna is simply beautiful!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

C. Sapidus:  Those bahn mi look so good.  I keep meaning to make them, maybe this was the inspiration I needed.  What kind of roll did you use?

SeaGal: Thanks! We used grocery store "French bread". I prefer crusty mini-baguettes, but younger son has some loose teeth so we went with a softer bread.

Wendy: Was the pepper-coriander paste from Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet? I have used that one on chicken, but not on fish.

yes, it is the one for the whole fish roasted in spicy pepper sauce I think it says...

The following night we had my Eggplant Ricotta Sauce with Rigatoncini.

gallery_41870_2503_77624.jpg

i don't like eggplant but get it occasionaly in our CSA box and this looks great! could you pm the recipe??

Hmm, i love tuna tataki. Are those pan-fried potatoes with that fish, Shaya? If so, that is very posh fish & chips indeed!

This evening, we had duck leg confit, crushed potato, watercress and mushy peas:

gallery_52657_4505_248636.jpg

I made my best bread EVER today. Not that I've baked that much bread. But this was so good I could not stop eating. After dinner I was still tearing off pieces of bread, and eating them with butter and a bit of fleur de sel and a drizzle of honey. Oh so good!

Semolina olive oil bread

gallery_21505_2929_118421.jpg

I had it with Moroccoan spicy meatballs and eggs

gallery_21505_2929_69813.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

I made my best bread EVER today. Not that I've baked that much bread. But this was so good I could not stop eating. After dinner I was still tearing off pieces of bread, and eating them with butter and a bit of fleur de sel and a drizzle of honey. Oh so good!

Semolina olive oil bread

gallery_21505_2929_118421.jpg

I had it with Moroccoan spicy meatballs and eggs

gallery_21505_2929_69813.jpg

Klary, you make the most beautiful food! Great looking bread, nice texture. What are you doing to keep your seeds sticking on top? Just curious as I'm having a hard time with that task without egg or milk. Let me know your secret?

Your salmon braise looked really good, especially the shallots and the potatoes. You make salmon look good to those of us who don't even like it.