• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

So, after a couple of years of lurking on this thread and drooling at all the gorgeous pictures, I'm going to make my virgin attempt at posting a picture of my dinner.....please be gentle. :raz:

Here's dinner from a couple of nights ago.

gallery_15258_4605_283395.jpg

Duck fat rubbed, roasted cornish game hens with pan sauce, rice pilaf and lemon butter green beans. White burgundy.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Purplewiz, yay spam! Actually they all look great.

Jan, gorgeous color on the bird.

Tonight was a roasted pork loin rib roast that I larded with pork jowl bacon, then saved the bacon for the roasted potatoes, with some carrots. Made a pan gravy mounted with butter.

roastporkloinandveggieswr0.jpg

Rocky

Nothing special tonight: bbq'd some chicken and had this HUMONGOUS artichoke. You might not be able to get perspective from the pic but it was 7 inches wide. This was by far the biggest artichoke I've ever eatin and very tasty too. Btw, the cat's name is Rocky and he's the cat who loves corn on the cob that I've mentioned before.

gallery_22252_902_541335.jpg

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

That is one big artichoke. :blink: Rocky looks like he's giving the evil eye to anyone who dared touch it. :shock:

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

More experiments.

I picked up a kilo of camel shoulder on Friday, and put it in to marinade on Saturday.

Today, Sunday, when I came home from work, I baked up three kg of salt, and then buried the meat in the salt with some fresh rosemary.

It's not that the meat was bad, there was nothing wrong with it.  But it tasted as it was, like a cheap cut of meat.  Perhaps if I'd larded it, there would've been more there.  In retrospect, this would do better as an oso bucco, as a braise.

Now, having said all that, the beautiful part was the marrow.  Jellied and wobbly, I spread this on my potato and pitied the poor family that wouldn't partake.  What I really should do is go back and see if I can get some camel bones to work with for stocking and for marrow salads.

Mind you, I may be dining alone.

How cool...I'd love to experiment along with you, but my market is plum out of camel meat! :laugh::laugh: I wonder if you wrapped the meat inside some baking paper and then packed in the salt, if that would work. Is there much fat on camel meat?

Braising would certainly work. I'm imagining fusion camel...camel ravioli....camel ragu....

That dinner looks great, Seagal.

Rocky, the glaze on your BBQ pork looks incredible - what's in it?

Purplewiz, your Carne Adovada looks wonderful. New Mexican cuisine is very unfamiliar to me. Are there any flavorings other than chilies and garlic?

Octaveman, I :wub: artichokes. I once had a huge one like that on the Champs Elysees in Paris when I was a teenager. I've never forgotten it. Mind if I ask you how much that one set you back?

My little guy turned 4 the other day. We've had a number of meals to celebrate. Last weekend we had friends over with their kids, and my older guy made a saffron risotto with peas (topped with wild mushrooms for the grownups) accompanied by farmer's market sausages. Our friend took care of dessert...she made macaroons. :smile:

gallery_41870_2503_43825.jpg

Another birthday dinner with my inlaws - the birthday boy determined the menu:

Belgian Waffles - I added farmer's market sausages and home fries so it would feel a little less like dessert :wacko:

gallery_41870_2503_21460.jpg

Profiteroles with Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce

gallery_41870_2503_35661.jpg

This weekend we had a party with all his friends. I made creamy mac and cheese, had cheese and crackers and veggies, and my favorite patissier (they are from France) made this Grand Duc cake. I am not one for the ever-popular (around here anyway) supermarket slab sponge covered in blue and green gel dyes (these can't be good for any kid, can they?) but I still want some whimsical aspect in the birthday cakes. This pastry chef does a fabulous job of adding just the right touch.

Super Hero - Grand Duc

gallery_41870_2503_37359.jpg

Last night's dinner was comfort food. Started with creamy asparagus soup made with white asparagus.

Butterflied Roast Chicken with Veggies

gallery_41870_2503_77625.jpg

Homemade Baguette

gallery_41870_2503_46004.jpg

Goddess, that's his normal "I'm just sittin here" look.

Shaya, for the past few weeks local grocery stores have been competing with 2 for $5 sales going back and forth. I just happen to go in one night and saw these. I grabbed the only two this size. I have another picture with one next to my daughters head...the artichoke is bigger.

The last few nights dinners. Vegetarian Thai Curry and cucumber salad from the May 2007 issue of Cuisine at Home:

gallery_32986_4410_237923.jpg

Coke Brined grilled chicken from the May 2007 Cuisine at Home and Tuscan potato salad from the June/July Cook's Country:

gallery_32986_4410_2913.jpg

Pimento Cheese burger from the May 2007 issue of Cuisine at Home:

gallery_32986_4410_226108.jpg

gallery_32986_4410_149477.jpg

I posted more in-depth descriptions and reviews on my blog if anyone is interested.

Edited by Becca Porter (log)

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

More experiments.

Today, Sunday, when I came home from work, I baked up three kg of salt, and then buried the meat in the salt with some fresh rosemary.

It's not that the meat was bad, there was nothing wrong with it.  But it tasted as it was, like a cheap cut of meat.  Perhaps if I'd larded it, there would've been more there.  In retrospect, this would do better as an oso bucco, as a braise.

How cool...I'd love to experiment along with you, but my market is plum out of camel meat! :laugh::laugh: I wonder if you wrapped the meat inside some baking paper and then packed in the salt, if that would work. Is there much fat on camel meat?

Braising would certainly work. I'm imagining fusion camel...camel ravioli....camel ragu....

parchment? That could do the trick. I took the leftovers this evening and did a red curry out of them. Typical Thai, with a hump.

gallery_22892_3828_188060.jpg

It turns out that we also had a hamour (grouper) so we had that steamed, and then finished it with green onion and coriander, with hot sesame oil poured on to finish, and some soy for salt.

gallery_22892_3828_105796.jpg

Rice, some steamed beans, and a good easy meal for a workday.

Blether & GTO - thanks for the advice. Now I will dig out my manual and look up stuff :biggrin: ! My camera is really very good for a lot of things (it was a gift from an egullet member :wub: ), but I think micro-close ups may be beyond it.

rockdoggydog - those clams are gorgeous. The Child and I would grab a loaf of crusty bread and DIG IN!

MobyP - that lamb looks exactly how I always want my lamb to look (not that it always does :wink:

SeaGal - yay for you for posting - I think I lurked for longer than you! That pan sauce would have me reaching for the bread, just like rockdoggydog's clams. <drool>

Octaveman - is Rocky an Abby??? I looooove Abby's and want one so much. Is he a 'talker'? Every Abby I've ever met has an extensive vocabulary :laugh: !

Shaya - Happy Birthday to your son! What a cake! How I would love to know how to do all that!

Dinner last night was a family dinner party. I had a Bell and Evans turkey that I needed to cook and figured after this week it would be too hot for cooking it. I have to apologize for the pictures. I remembered to take shots of most of the appetizers before everyone started, but had to jump up from the table after everyone was served to take the main course photos (yes, Mr. Kim's family thinks I am decidedly odd :wink: ), so the dishes are somewhat decimated!

The menu was:

Deep fried artichoke hearts:

gallery_34972_3580_396423.jpg Mine weren't as crusty and brown as little ms foodie's were. I used frozen ones and deep fried in Crisco. Did I do something wrong, LMF? They were very good, though enjoyed more by me than the family :biggrin: .

Parmesan Crisps (no picture)

Nuts (no picture)

Gougères:

gallery_34972_3580_1247624.jpg So good! This was a Jaques Pepin recipe and was so easy!

Yogurt Cheese Dip w/ vegetables:

gallery_34972_3580_490144.jpg

Pecan Glazed Turkey

gallery_34972_3580_765741.jpg

Pecan & Cornbread Stuffing:

gallery_34972_3580_352874.jpg

Gravy (no picture)

Cheese Quiche - for the vegetarian young adult who never rsvp'd and didn't show up :angry: (no picture)

Cheese noodles:

gallery_34972_3580_592364.jpg

Corn (no picture)

Southern Green Beans (no picture)

My layered salad:

gallery_34972_3580_706815.jpg

Rolls (no picture)

Cherry Cheese Trifle:

gallery_34972_3570_767788.jpg

Blissful Glutton’s Peach-Cherry Crisp w/ Double Devon Cream :wub: :

gallery_34972_3570_1183919.jpg

A really successful dinner - I am still cleaning up today, after Mr. Kim stayed up until 1am washing dishes (one good result with my hand problems/surgury is that I am positively dangerous - to both myself and the dishes - with wet, soapy stuff :biggrin: )!

Blissful Glutton - I have to say thank you again for your recipe. I have had such success with it. Normally after a heavy meal people just pick at dessert - I often wonder why I bother making it. But I have NO leftovers of the crisp. Three people had thirds of it.

Kim

belated happy birthday Marlene!

and Shaya, happy birthday to your little guy! I'm pleased to hear you're teaching him that it's okay to have multiple birthdayparties :smile: Those profiteroles look gorgeous.

Kim Shook what a feast!

I cooked Indonesian today.

Sambal Goreng Udang Peteh: prawns and peteh beans in spicy coconut sauce.

And a salad of cooked and raw vegetables with a cold peanut dressing.

Details here on the eGullet blog I'm doing this week!

gallery_28661_4610_80400.jpg

gallery_28661_4610_45257.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Thank you everyone. :blush: We ate out both Friday and Sat, and my son tried and liked tuna tartare and sashumi, and sushi pizza of all things. Last night was just steak and corn on the cob.

No pretty grill marks since hubby did the grilling. :biggrin: He kind of rolled his eyes when I suggested it.

gallery_6080_205_38890.jpg

gallery_6080_205_61793.jpg

gallery_6080_205_73961.jpg

When there is just two or three of us, I do my corn on the cob in the microwave. It saves boiling a pot of water and another pot to wash.

Tonight, since we are having some nice weather again, it's likely to be grilled chicken, tomato, onion and blue cheese salad, and some amazing carrots from the market, which I will probably glaze.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Becca, yummy lookin burger. What did you think of the coke brined chicken? Looks great too!

Kim, he's an Ebony Ticked Oriental Shorthair. They look very much like an Abby but with a more siamese twist. I used to show him but became too busy to continue. He is very vocal and super loving. My mom had an abby and while intensley independant, he was lots of fun.

Becca, yummy lookin burger.  What did you think of the coke brined chicken?  Looks great too!

I thought it was the perfect grilled chicken. I will be making it often, and I will try roasting it in the oven as well.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I have a feeling that the gyro my hubby got for lunch yesterday left him wanting something better because he asked for those "grilled lamb things" for dinner, and can you make that "sauce" too?

So it was a half boneless leg of lamb rubbed with paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, and oregano and Grilled

gallery_23695_426_503231.jpg

dressed with lettuce, tomato, onion, and cucumber dill sauce

gallery_23695_426_448759.jpg

all on a pocketless pita

gallery_23695_426_427939.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Nothing special tonight:  bbq'd some chicken and had this HUMONGOUS artichoke.  You might not be able to get perspective from the pic but it was 7 inches wide.  This was by far the biggest artichoke I've ever eatin and very tasty too.  Btw, the cat's name is Rocky and he's the cat who loves corn on the cob that I've mentioned before.

gallery_22252_902_541335.jpg

Ah, your beautiful Rocky makes me miss my own Rocky! He was a polydactil pure white nasty tempered beast, who would do anything for cream cheese! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Purplewiz, your Carne Adovada looks wonderful.  New Mexican cuisine is very unfamiliar to me.  Are there any flavorings other than chilies and garlic?

It's chiles, garlic, onion, cumin, chicken stock, vinegar, ground coriander, and salt. These are all pretty much staples in New Mexican/Border cuisine. The pork cubes slow cook in the sauce until they're falling apart.

Profiteroles with Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce

gallery_41870_2503_35661.jpg

Those are so beautiful...gads, one would be so perfect just about now!

Pimento Cheese burger from the May 2007 issue of Cuisine at Home:

gallery_32986_4410_226108.jpg

After seeing the recipe in the magazine, I wondered how they would be. Yours look absolutely fantastic!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

rooftop1000: that lamb looks delicious!

Shaya: I want those profiteroles.

Octaveman: I had a ginormous artichoke tonight too--buy my cat doesn't have Rocky's eyes and was totally disinterested.....

Kim: Thanks for the welcome--glad I'm not the only one late to the party. Ummm, triffle.

Rocky: Wow, it's a mathematic equation: pork x pork x pork = pork cubed!!

Chufi: Is that shrimp chips garnishing your indonesian salad?

Here's a dinner from Friday--comfort food!:

Antipasto salad:

488998540_85ceb08601.jpg

Buccatini al'amaticiana

487465510_a93922c548.jpg

*edited for spelling

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

roast chicken with spring veg, gnocchi, endive foam, jus

gallery_8259_153_91180.jpg

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Two lovely meals in a row, Moby. Your gnocchi always look so clean. Mine are much more rustic. I daydream about making yours sometimes. Do you use potato in yours, or just flour?

And how do you make endive foam? I wouldn't even know where to start to achieve the glory of that component. Do you cook them down, puree, strain, foam up?