• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

last night we had baby artichokes one more way- deep fried with parm on top

IMG_2481.jpg

little ms foodie - I am inspired! I am making those on Sunday for company. Do you think that they would hold together enough to serve them as a pre-meal snack - finger food like onion rings? Or should I serve them with the meal? Also - how would you feel about a dipping sauce of some sort? Any ideas? Thanks for posting!

Kim

Kim, we serve them as a snack. I picked up some cute little bamboo cocktail forks but you could even do picks or seafood forks if you have them. We like to stab them and smoosh them around in the cheese/oil/s&p. you can prep them quite a bit in advance and hold them in acidulated water until ready to fry- drain, pat dry and go at it :smile:

tonight we had an easy frittat with italian sausage and kale

IMG_2486.jpg

last night we had baby artichokes one more way- deep fried with parm on top

IMG_2481.jpg

little ms foodie - I am inspired! I am making those on Sunday for company. Do you think that they would hold together enough to serve them as a pre-meal snack - finger food like onion rings? Or should I serve them with the meal? Also - how would you feel about a dipping sauce of some sort? Any ideas? Thanks for posting!

Kim

Kim, we serve them as a snack. I picked up some cute little bamboo cocktail forks but you could even do picks or seafood forks if you have them. We like to stab them and smoosh them around in the cheese/oil/s&p. you can prep them quite a bit in advance and hold them in acidulated water until ready to fry- drain, pat dry and go at it :smile:

tonight we had an easy frittat with italian sausage and kale

IMG_2486.jpg

Wendy, I love the little bubbles on the outside...looks yummmmmy!

. . . I have to get Land of Plenty, because I MUST try that water beef.  I have heard stories about this stuff and it sounds wonderful!

Irishgirl: Thank you for your kind words. I loved the layers of chile flavors in the water-boiled beef: dried chiles in the veggie stir-frying oil; chile-bean paste for more flavor/color/heat; and then the crispy chopped chiles added at the end. This dish made me think of Mexican mole – totally different flavors and techniques, but the same idea.

Land of Plenty is a wonderful book. Yes, you have to get it. :smile:

LMF: Gorgeous strawberries, and my salivary glands shorted out my brain at “chorizo crusted . . .” :biggrin:

Last night’s dinner was crying tiger, sticky rice, and crying tiger sauce, served over butter lettuce, thinly-sliced eternal cucumbers, mint, and Thai basil. The marinated porterhouse steak was particularly delicious. No pictures, but details on Thai cooking at home (click).

"tonight was chorizo crusted cod on saffron rice with snap peas"

Little Miss Foodie..I am intrigued..how do you crust with chorizo?

soooooo easy!!! just slice up a bit of chorizo - I did just under 1 oz for 2 fillets. grind it up in the food processor, add 1/2 c or so bread crumbs, s & P and whir it all up together. I just put the topping on one side. the recipe was originally from F&W but I can't remember what month. so quick and easy though.

Inspired by Hiroyuki's fantastic blog, I made this dinner. I'm not claiming authenticity here, because I've only cooked about 5 Japanese dishes in my entire life, but it tasted great!

Takikomi gohan, rice cooked with hijiki seaweed, carots, shiitake mushrooms and abura-age (fried tofu). See this thread in the Japan forum for more info about this dish!

gallery_21505_2929_87724.jpg

Back to front: stirfried oyster mushrooms with ginger and soysauce, boiled zucchini with sesame dressing, and mackerel & leeks simmered in red miso.

gallery_21505_2929_61447.jpg

Tea-smoked Duck Breast with Fried Rice. Hadn't done this wonderful dish in a while.

Cured in Sichaun Pepper, Clove, Star Anise & Sea Salt overnight. Gently smoked over tea, rice and sugar then pan-fried. The balance of the flavours was just right tonight, my best yet! Enjoy....

gallery_52657_4505_194119.jpg

Curry grilled chicken over sauteed garlic lemon spinach and peas with cilantro mint pesto:

gallery_15557_2797_5746.jpg

It's only after I put the camera away that I realized that I forgot to put the dollop of yogurt on top. Added it later and it was good :biggrin:.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Back to front: stirfried oyster mushrooms with ginger and soysauce, boiled zucchini with sesame dressing, and mackerel & leeks simmered in red miso.

Klary, could you please tell me what's in the sesame dressing? I love zucchini and I'm always looking for new ways to serve it, and that looks positively wonderful!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Spit roasted chicken, hasselback potatoes and gravy. Peas and butter sauce in the side bowl, not shown.

gallery_6080_205_51160.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Tonight was clean out the icebox (I love my grandmothers 'fridge term).

Skillet roasted chicken breast with tons of chopped garlic n- ginger, mushrooms, celery, green/red/yellow onions, artichokes, sprigs of fresh thyme (with flowers) and rosemary. I periodically basted the chicken and vegetables with olive oil/butter/lemon juice/herbs. Served it with a vegetable pasta salad and an ice cold Michelob (husbands contribution to the meal :smile:)

gallery_17172_1047_387375.jpg

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Everyone's food looks so wonderful. As always, I am inspired and hungry! A couple of nights ago we had:

BBQ Sandwiches (we purchased some at a restaurant we stopped at in SC on our way back from Florida on Friday), homemade mustard slaw, Florida corn and tomatoes (pretty good) and a green salad w/ mango and cukes and lime vinaigrette:

gallery_34972_3580_153561.jpg

Kim

"tonight was chorizo crusted cod on saffron rice with snap peas"

Little Miss Foodie..I am intrigued..how do you crust with chorizo?

soooooo easy!!! just slice up a bit of chorizo - I did just under 1 oz for 2 fillets. grind it up in the food processor, add 1/2 c or so bread crumbs, s & P and whir it all up together. I just put the topping on one side. the recipe was originally from F&W but I can't remember what month. so quick and easy though.

Thanks so much I have to try this!

Inspired by Hiroyuki's fantastic blog, I made this dinner. I'm not claiming authenticity here, because I've only cooked about 5 Japanese dishes in my entire life, but it tasted great!

Takikomi gohan, rice cooked with hijiki seaweed, carots, shiitake mushrooms and abura-age (fried tofu). See this thread in the Japan forum for more info about this dish!

gallery_21505_2929_87724.jpg

Great job!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I know there is always someone like you who is adept in making any dish beautifully. The takigomi gohan looks great, not soggy at all. All your dishes are really touching to me. Thanks for posting!!

Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch!  That is absolutely beautiful Klary!

Prawncrackers wonderful smoke!

Wendy I'm assuming you used smoked and cured chorizo for the crust right?

Rocky

I agree about both those meals too!!

yes Rocky we use Palacios Chorizo from Spain (Hot) which Ballard Market now carries but we use to buy it at the Spanish Table. it has smoked paprika in it!

If my husband knew what I spent on myself when he went out.....

While shopping for some steak that was on sale I decided to use my savings on a very large D'Artagnian duck breast :rolleyes:

gallery_23695_426_253201.jpg

as the fat rendered out I poured it off and used some to fry up potato slices and finished the whole thing off with a pan sauce made with sherry vin, duck demi, and Maman cherry preserves

gallery_23695_426_523577.jpg

and I have about a cup of duck fat left

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracey, that looks fabulous!

Simple stuff here. Oatmeal muffins for the lad's snack, and crispy pork chops (which are a riff off a nigella recipe I found and a cheese potato souffle. Yes, it's more meat. Yes, there's not vegetables, but it's my birthday tomorrow so I'm cooking to please me. :raz:

gallery_6080_205_59276.jpg

gallery_6080_205_14513.jpg

Marlene

I have been trying to figure out how to "cut and paste" a picture and have not yet been successful.

Marlene, your rack of lamb and Potatoes Dauphinois from Tuesday, look so delicious. How did you get the lamb cooked that perfectly? We like our meat medium rare, but often the outside gets a bit more done than the inside. (This happens with prime rib also.) Did you bake it?

Curious also... did you get your Donna Hay cookbooks yet? We made the Thai Lime and Lemongrass Chicken from The Instant Cook, and felt like we were a really good Thai restaurant.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I have been trying to figure out how to "cut and paste" a picture and have not yet been successful.

Marlene, your rack of lamb and Potatoes Dauphinois from Tuesday, look so delicious. How did you get the lamb cooked that perfectly? We like our meat medium rare, but often the outside gets a bit more done than the inside. (This happens with prime rib also.) Did you bake it?

Curious also... did you get your Donna Hay cookbooks yet? We made the Thai Lime and Lemongrass Chicken from The Instant Cook, and felt like we were a really good Thai restaurant.

i preheat the oven to 450,and while it's heating I sear the lamb stovetop. Then I turn down the oven to 400 and stick the lamb and pan in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes, although I check it at the 15 minute mark.

I have not got the books yet. :angry: I checked, and Amazon says they should be delivered by the end of this week.

edited to add, Bella, if you just want to have the picture, you can use the quote button, and then delete all the text except the img line and that should just give you the picture, then you can continue replying as usual outside the quote marks.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

gallery_23695_426_523577.jpg

Tracey, that looks beautiful!

Tonight we made grilled chicken (ga nuong) and grilled zucchini from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. Nuoc cham dipping sauce and basmati rice on the side. The marinade contains fish sauce, lime juice, black pepper, sugar, salt, and oil – same marinade for the chicken and the zucchini. I used skin-on chicken thighs, removed the bone, grilled over medium, and then raised the heat to crisp up the skin.

This is an easy family favorite. Mrs. C and I enjoyed the gorgeous evening with a glass of wine while dinner was cooking.

gallery_42956_2536_16537.jpg