• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Spit roasted beef tenderloin, glazed carrots, potato galatte, and bernaise sauce:

gallery_6080_205_52715.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My keyboard just shorted out from all of the drool, especially that pork belly. 

Dinner last Thursday

friedchickenandgreens3xw9.jpg

Must make waffles next time.

Rocky

Macaroni salad looks yummy; what's in it? Unfortunately, I've become known for mine, an now if I want to bring anything new to a feast, it has to be "in addition to"... Sheesh! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Tonight we had friends over for dinner. I made red curry with shrimp and bay scallops; salt and pepper shrimp; bell peppers with black bean and garlic; and jasmine rice. Mrs. C julienned eggplant and baked it with Old Bay seasoning – they looked like eggplant French fries. The boys helped thaw the scallops and peel the shrimp.

Our friends brought a bottle of mead, which served as a delicious after-dinner drink. It was a delightful evening, and no leftovers whatsoever. No plated pictures, but here is a hurried snap of the red curry . . .

gallery_42956_2536_9406.jpg

. . . and the bell peppers.

gallery_42956_2536_54927.jpg

here's my first birthdaydinner (I try to have at least 3 with every birthday :laugh: ) from last weekend.

started with various nibbles and homemade gougeres (cheese puffs), no pictures.

Salads: green beans, potatoes, cucumber and dill

gallery_21505_2929_27906.jpg

pastasalad with tomatoes, courgettes, pine nuts,mozzarella & basil

gallery_21505_2929_1490.jpg

My favorite moment of any dinner: everybody digging in! In the foreground, roast tomatoes and belgian endive. Behind that, chicken cobbler. I didn't get a good pic of the cobbler but it was delicious.. chicken, fennel and bacon in a creamy sauce with a cornmeal topping.

gallery_21505_2929_17332.jpg

Strawberry almond cake with lemon icing

gallery_21505_2929_65026.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Chufi,

do you have a recipe you use for your gougeres? could blue cheese be used to flafor them? would your recipe translate well to make these for an event w/ 60 or so people? :smile:

Macaroni salad looks yummy; what's in it? Unfortunately, I've become known for mine, an now if I want to bring anything new to a feast, it has to be "in addition to"... Sheesh! :raz:

Thanks! Very simple, actually, chopped dill pickles, salt and pepper, minced shallots, bacon, and a mix of crema and mayo.

Beautiful and impressive tower of avocado and tomatoes Mifi!

That looks like a wonderful feast Klary! Happy Birthday!

Rocky

Yes, big ups to MiFi for the beautiful tower and Chufi's stunning photo/cake!

A house full of sick people here, the cook included. All I could muster up was pasta with basil, Benton's bacon, scallops, and tomatoes. It was good comfort food.

gallery_15437_3722_616444.jpg

We all managed to rally for 3-year-old daughter's birthday. Cinderella cake for dinner anyone?!

gallery_15437_3722_749929.jpg

I had a friend over tonight, in need of comfort food. So, braised pork chops with mustard cream sauce, mashed and green beans sauteed in chicken broth with garlic, lemon and shallots. (Thanks to David for his help with the green bean recipe)

gallery_6080_205_54487.jpg

For dessert, bread and butter pudding with caramel sauce:

gallery_6080_205_52891.jpg

Marlene

Dang, Marlene, I was coveting the pork chops, and then you unveiled the bread pudding. Not fair!

Meredithla - That is a fun cake - did you make it? I hope your full house recovers quickly.

Happy birthday, Klary! Your birthday cake is so beautiful, it deserves a second viewing.

Strawberry almond cake with lemon icing

gallery_21505_2929_65026.jpg

Tonight we grilled five-spice chicken wings. A blustery wind cooled one end of the grill so much that the first wings were done about 15 minutes before the last. We ate in stages. :rolleyes:

We also red-braised Portobello mushrooms with ginger, scallions, bacon ends, chicken stock, dark soy, and sesame oil. Next time I will reduce the sauce further to concentrate the flavors. The boys dutifully tried the mushrooms; elder son declared that he would rather eat slugs. I told him that could be arranged. :shock:

gallery_42956_2536_37440.jpg

Okay, I am going to give my hand at trying imagegullet, since I was previously using photobucket. Here are the pics of my dinner tonight, using my new birthday gift of the tabletop photo studio. So far I love this thing. It will be fun to try out different ways to make pics great!

gallery_45680_1_389147.jpg

Here is the plated version:

gallery_45680_1_1041669.jpg

This is Emeril's Beef Stroganoff from his "Potluck" cookbook.

Meredithla - That is a fun cake - did you make it? I hope your full house recovers quickly.

Tonight we grilled five-spice chicken wings. A blustery wind cooled one end of the grill so much that the first wings were done about 15 minutes before the last. We ate in stages. :rolleyes:

We also red-braised Portobello mushrooms with ginger, scallions, bacon ends, chicken stock, dark soy, and sesame oil. Next time I will reduce the sauce further to concentrate the flavors. The boys dutifully tried the mushrooms; elder son declared that he would rather eat slugs. I told him that could be arranged. :shock:

gallery_42956_2536_37440.jpg

Bruce, I did make the cake myself! :smile: Those wings look good! I've been trying to get to a recipe of black bean wings done in the wok. Maybe next week...!

Tonight, Pan-fried Sea Bass and Prawns with Red Cabbage and Butternut Squash...

gallery_52657_4505_214719.jpg

Why is red cabbage called red cabbage when it's bluey-purple?! Dunno, but it's a good combination with the squash (wasn't so great with the fish though!!)

I'm lurking on this thread and enjoying the photos as usual!

Klary, what kind of flowers were on the cake? Edible, I presume?

Meredith, a speedy recovery to you and your family!

Michael aka "Pan"

Rocky, I love that chicken. I've never used a vertical roaster. I must try it sometime!

With many apologies for the messy plating, Short ribs, braised in Port, Wine and Honey and basmati rice:

gallery_6080_205_27422.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Meredithla: Wow, you are a talented cake illustrator. I have been on a black bean kick lately, so I would love to see your black bean chicken.

Tonight we had beef with cumin, hand-torn cabbage with vinegar (both from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook), and jasmine rice. Thinly sliced flank steak was marinated, “velveted”, and stir-fried with ginger, garlic, chiles, chile flakes, and cumin, and then finished with scallions and sesame oil. The beef turned out tender, fragrant, and spicy - definitely worth making again.

gallery_42956_2536_33322.jpg