• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

I've been slammed with work, and I'm trying to be a good girl, and not get sucked in to the dinner thread....but I "accidently" hit the button...and I found myself drooling over all of these wonderful meals!

I do believe in chamgpagne...I do believe...I do believe!!! :laugh:

Thanks ever so much - Hopefully, it will be a nice sunny weekend, so I can treat myself to a Caipirihna!

I'd love to know the recipe for the Pineapple Caipirihna - I love the Ginger Caipirihna's at Cactus.

Those were technically lime-pineapple caipirinhas, I guess; the pineapple was very sweet and mild, so I wanted a little of the tartness of lime as well.

1/4 lime, cut into small wedges

4-5 chunks of fresh pineapple

1 Tablespoon Demerara sugar

3 ounces cachaça (I happened to use Pirassununga Cachaça 51)

Muddled the limes and sugar in a mixing glass, add pineapple and muddle a very little more (pineapple just turns to a pulp if you muddle it too much). Add crushed ice and cachaça, stir thoroughly. Pour contents into old-fashioned-style glass.

The most traditional caipirinha would leave out the pineapple and have twice the lime.

I've done this with blueberries and strawberries too -- mmmmm!

Robin Tyler McWaters

Liuyang black bean chicken (liu yang dou chi ji), from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook. Yes, those are garlic cloves – a whole head’s worth. Ginger coins, salted black beans, chili flakes, Shaoxing wine, rice vinegar, light soy, and sesame oil rounded out the flavors. Chunks of chicken thighs were deep-fried twice until juicy and crisp. I can’t wait to make this again, but I kept thinking that it would be even better with roasted, ground Sichuan peppercorns. :wub:

Mrs. C roasted yellow sweet potatoes in foil and served them with melted butter and brown sugar. Yum!

gallery_42956_2536_25487.jpg

A large hyper thin sourdough pizza topped with just a smear of marinera, 8 oz (diced) fresh mozz a scattering of wafery panchetta (homemade), a little pepperoni (good stuff from the Italian deli) and a few thinly sliced mushrooms.

Gotta love the gallon ziploc of sourdough that lives in the fridge. Grab a handful before work in the AM, let rise all day and pizza, foccacia or baguette with dinner.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Tonight was braised lamb shank on pasta with a parsley salad variation.

braisedlambza9.jpg

Rocky

Wow, that llooks good! Barilla elbows, right? A very necessary component of my renowned macaroni salad. THE best!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

gallery_15557_2797_15461.jpg

Pork adovada (topped with cheese) and calabacitas. I was trying to recreate the calabacitas I had recently in New Mexico, and I came very close.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I gotta get this cookbook. This looks great too. Great pic.

Liuyang black bean chicken (liu yang dou chi ji), from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook. Yes, those are garlic cloves – a whole head’s worth. Ginger coins, salted black beans, chili flakes, Shaoxing wine, rice vinegar, light soy, and sesame oil rounded out the flavors. Chunks of chicken thighs were deep-fried twice until juicy and crisp. I can’t wait to make this again, but I kept thinking that it would be even better with roasted, ground Sichuan peppercorns. :wub:

Mrs. C roasted yellow sweet potatoes in foil and served them with melted butter and brown sugar. Yum!

gallery_42956_2536_25487.jpg

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Whole striped bass en papillote, with ginger, garlic, lemon grass, thai basil, serrano chilis, red bell pepper, scallion, soy, lime and bourbon:

gallery_45959_4078_15031.jpg

gallery_45959_4078_16978.jpg

That just inspired me, so tonight I replicated it. My fish was rainbow trout, with ginger, garlic, lemongrass, thai basil, serrano chiles, shallots, soy, and lemon. I served it with sauteed sesame asparagus. Best dinner I've had in a while, as I haven't been doing much cooking with my new health problems. I regret not getting a picture.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

Last nights dinner was pure Evil, and fat and salt and shatteringly crisp and creamy.... and could have been improved only by using fresh corn on the cob instead of frozen.

And it was from Chili's

I refuse to be ashamed

It was the best country fried steak, smashed potatoes and white gravy I have ever had...the corn was Eh except for the powerful amount of butter and salt, that I never could have used on my own

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

gallery_15557_2797_15461.jpg

Pork adovada (topped with cheese) and calabacitas. I was trying to recreate the calabacitas I had recently in New Mexico, and I came very close.

Marcia.

Purplewiz -- Those calabacitas look amazing -- would you share the recipe you came up with? I'm drooling!

Emily

I have had many social and work obligations in the past week--no time to cook. Finally got around to making something tonight. It was so nice to stay at home and make a meal for myself. One of life's little pleasures that you take for granted.

I was flipping through the April issue of Saveur this morning when I spotted a recipe for Tagliatelle with Chive Oil and Cremini Mushrooms.

The recipe, which is a winner, can be found here

I was lucky enough to score some chives at my local stand today. I made it pretty much to the letter except I added parm to the chive mixture which made it a bit creamier. I topped with some diced chives and chive blossoms, which I gently separated to lessen the intense chive flavor. Hit it again with some parm after the photo and dug in. So happy Spring is here.

I keep getting error messages from imagegullet, so here is the link to my photo: Tagliatelle with Chive Oil and Cremini Mushrooms photo

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Purplewiz -- Those calabacitas look amazing -- would you share the recipe you came up with? I'm drooling!

Emily

I've entered the recipe (such as it is; lots of room to improvise!) into RecipeGullet: Calabacitas

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

started the evening off with Last Word and Pegu cocktails (hey it's friday- 2 are allowed!)

then roast rack of lamb with rosemary mustard crust on a bed of israeli cous cous and some baby bok choy sauteed in butter and evoo and then braised in a bit of mushroom broth

02 Earth leland single vineyard pinot noir inthe glass

466713083_31f74ae415.jpg

My first attempt at making Char Siu and my first attempt at this soup. I got inspired to make this from a member of another forum I frequent. The soup contains chicken soup base, Shaoxing, fresh shitake's, baby bok choy, chopped green onions, hong kong style noodles, oyster sauce and of course the Char Siu. The soup was actually quite good and was pleased. The Char Siu though didn't come out quite like I thought it would even after marinating over 24 hours. Will make again.

BBQ Pork Noodle Soup

gallery_22252_902_277705.jpg

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

For my wife and i today i cooked Razor clams in Black Bean sauce, Squid and Gai Lan in Oyster sauce, Pork Spring Rolls with dip. Very Cantonese, very full - i need to lie down....

gallery_52657_4505_1465582.jpg

Sorry about the blurry-ass pic, was in a hurry. It's that Chinese thing - have to eat it while it's hot!! :biggrin:

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

are you sure your photo isn't blurry because your black bean sauce was from Haunted Mansion No.1 Mr. PC?? :biggrin::biggrin:

(if you think I'm chi sin click on the hot pink lines in your post)

BTW looks ho sek (jealous)

Huh??!! How did that link get there in the last post. I'm confused.

<<edit>>

now those lines have gone!! is this your doing insomanic, lay gow mut?

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)