• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Brined, spice rubbed fillet of pork, cooked to 150 internal (rested till 155-160) with grilled sweet potatoes, slow roasted cherry & grape tomatoes and a bush tomato, coriander and red onion chutney.

gallery_22943_3628_435608.jpg

Wagyu sirloin steak chargrilled and sliced on honey roasted carrots, duck fat roasted potatoes and steamed green beans.

gallery_22943_3628_16445.jpg

gallery_22943_3628_51607.jpg

Master stocked, then wok fried pork ribs with steamed baby bok choy

gallery_22943_2799_22506.jpg

gallery_22943_2799_59287.jpg

gallery_22943_2799_66769.jpg

gallery_22943_2799_46489.jpg

Kim and Dottie hope you are both feeling better.

Ribs Braised in Red Wine

Cauliflower Sformato with Radicchio, Shallot, Balsamic Compote

gallery_41870_2503_523937.jpg

Shaya Oh God, this looks soooo good. Such a rich dish.

Marlene you definitely have a way with beef. Gorgeous steak.

Wendy I'd love a bowl of your chili.

Last night's dinner was grilled sausage with penne.

gallery_27944_2966_40524.jpg

And tonight a roast chicken dinner.

gallery_27944_2966_462522.jpg

Ann

Priscilla: I hope you like the five-spice chicken, it is one of our favorites.

Meredithla: Few things are funkier than funky chicken. Nice plan B!

Infernoo: That pork looks insanely good.

Ann_T: Your pictures are always so beautiful.

We had stir-fried hot and numbing chicken (nice texture, OK flavor) over jasmine rice . . .

gallery_42956_2536_24845.jpg

. . . and Napa cabbage soup with dried shrimp and bay scallops.

gallery_42956_2536_30642.jpg

After seeing people rave about Tony Bourdain's Gratin Dauphinois, I was wondering if there is much of a difference bewteen Bourdain's version and Jeffrey Steingarten's. We had Steingarten's gratin earlier in the week and it was love at first bite for me. As I was eating most of the gratin by myself, I was thinking that they were by and far the best potatoes I had ever had. Actually, as I was eating them, I was thinking that they were among the best things that I have ever tasted. Gee, if I give up a bunch of other dishes, can I eat these potaoes often, very often?

Is there much of a difference between the two recipes?

Thanks!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

After seeing people rave about Tony Bourdain's Gratin Dauphinois, I was wondering if there is much of a difference bewteen Bourdain's version and Jeffrey Steingarten's. We had Steingarten's gratin earlier in the week and it was love at first bite for me. As I was eating most of the gratin by myself, I was thinking that they were by and far the best potatoes I had ever had. Actually, as I was eating them, I was thinking that they were among the best things that I have ever tasted. Gee, if I give up a bunch of other dishes, can I eat these potaoes often, very often?

Is there much of a difference between the two recipes?

Thanks!

I don't know Steingartens so I'll tell you about Bourdains:

sliced potatoes, crushed whole garlic, herb bundle into a pot of cream bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 mins. season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. transfer into buttered and garlic rubbed gratin dish, sprinkle with gruyere and bake for 40 mins. rest 10. delish

I messed around with the Duck roulade from The French Laundry Cookbook tonight. I stuffed it with leg confit and then cooked it sous vide with 5-spice and Sichuan peppercorns, served with red onion confit, shitakes, and 'quick' sweet and sour sauce.

gallery_32753_4515_8731.jpg

OMG WE HAVE AN OVEN!!!!

after 4 moths, 4 technicians, 5 parts and countless frustration Edlund gave us the name of her appliance technician and they found the issue- and no parts were needed! DAMN!!

we were caught off guard and didn't really have anything but found chicken thighes to roast- damn the smell was soooooooo fantastic!!

this is the inside of our oven at almost 400F for the first time in 4 months! :biggrin:

458416787_b8e5a98f2b.jpg

chicken thighes onto of fettucini with oyster mushrooms, bacon, fresh peas and cream sauce

458416785_7f83a28d9c.jpg

YEAHHHHHHHHH>>>> I HAVE AN OVEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

After all the pics of Marlboro Man's favorite sandwich, I succumbed and made it for dinner tonight... You should have heard the man noises hubby made when he was eating it. :raz:

gallery_48583_4079_129281.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Butter roasted Dorset lobster with cabbage, lobster hash, seaweed asparagus and jus.

gallery_8259_153_14546.jpg

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

God bless Mr. Kim.  He cooked tonight - and it was good, too!  Crabcakes & leftover Gratin Dauphinois w/ lamb gravy:

Kim

It looks great, and I love the cornichon and olive accompaniment!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Looks good AvsKick21. What is the leaf like thing wrapped around it?

Moby, looks great as always...what is Seaweed Asparagus (do you mean the sea asparagus you get from British Columbia)?

Wendy, congrats on having your oven back...look forward to see more amazing dishes prepared in there.

after 4 moths, 4 technicians, 5 parts and countless frustration. . .

Wendy, those pesky oven-moths have been the downfall of many a great chef. :biggrin:

I'm grinning big for you as well---I'm glad you're back up and running. Though you DID stay up for your game with all the top-cooked things---remarkable.

And to everyone who's posted in the last couple of weeks: Three words:

O. Ver. Load. The pictures and descriptions and occasions are just awesome. All those voluptuous sauces and beautiful vegetables, and the absolutely sumptuous meats---roast, sous vide, fried, grilled, sauced and breaded and wokked and sauteed. Wow. Just wow.

I don't post many pictures, but where would any gallery be with ardent admirers?

And KIM---your Easter table is dreamy :wub: ---I've looked over and over again. We'll be having ours tomorrow, since we were gone last weekend.

Good work, everyone!!

Percy, the seaweed asparagus is grown on the isle of white, in seaweed. I think it has a a gentle iodine note to it. English asparagus is pretty good generally.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Butter roasted Dorset lobster with cabbage, lobster hash, seaweed asparagus and jus.

gallery_8259_153_14546.jpg

that looks wonderful and elegant- what is Dorset lobster, just the region it comes from??

thanks everyone, we are sooooo excited to do some cooking- now I hope it stays chilly a bit longer as I missed making all my favorite winter dishes this year :sad:

(double batch of banana bread in the oven as we now have quite the freezer surplus of bananas to get through!)

I'm brand new here, and my dinners aren't always all that exciting, but I love this thread! I'm home alone tonight so I just had a big salad with dried cherries and pea pods and some basic greens.

that looks wonderful and elegant- what is Dorset lobster, just the region it comes from??

Thanks. Dorset, Devon and Cornwall are great area along the southern coast for Lobster, shellfish, mackeral etc.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

Here's a lunch using the leftovers. (A Degusto rip off)

Asparagus with lobster jus and morels.

gallery_8259_153_44836.jpg

Flickr Food

Domestic Hubby fired up the grill and boy did he grill!

He fixed Pork Barbeque slabs with his secret marinade dip

gallery_48583_4079_117169.jpg:wub:

The meat was tender and that fat was crispy and crackly....

gallery_48583_4079_396753.jpg

He also grilled some steak and fixed french fries....

gallery_48583_4079_109649.jpg

And in a burst of creativity and imagination, he grilled his homemade breakfast sausage and they were to die for.

gallery_48583_4079_103527.jpg

I fixed barbeque rice....

gallery_48583_4079_29070.jpg

Not pictured were the baked potatoes for the kids and grilled Asian eggplant with shrimp paste salad for me.

Littlest son piped up "It smells like heaven!" while DH was grilling out in the veranda. :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

After all the pics of Marlboro Man's favorite sandwich, I succumbed and made it for dinner tonight... You should have heard the man noises hubby made when he was eating it.  :raz:

gallery_48583_4079_129281.jpg

Domestic Goddess - looks great! I have visited Marlboro Man many times and love the pictures and blog! However - your sandwhichs look sooo different!?!? Not as saucey perhaps and a diff type of meat it appears (cut and preparation). Did you tweak some of the details in the ingredients and or cooking method?

Just curious if your recipe for this is a lil different than the original. Thanks!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!