• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Winter recently hit us again; the kids spent Easter sunday building snowment and toboganning!

Is there anything better than braising?

Start with some beautiful ribs courtesy of the nice butcher who is well familiar with your high standards:

gallery_41870_2503_10040.jpg

Browning action to build deep color and flavor:

gallery_41870_2503_207413.jpg

Liquids for building more flavor and texture:

gallery_41870_2503_710541.jpg

Add fresh veggies in the form of caramelized onions and mushrooms:

gallery_41870_2503_274807.jpg

Ribs Braised in Red Wine

Cauliflower Sformato with Radicchio, Shallot, Balsamic Compote

gallery_41870_2503_523937.jpg

Oooh MiFi! That looks fantastic -- where did the recipe come from?

No recipe, just had a craving. Sauce was canned coconut milk, a good quality red curry paste (1-2 tablespoons worth), a few dashes of nước mắm, a few dashes of kecap manis, lime juice, and its ready to go. Tilapia was pan grilled. Easy weeknight dinner.

You can have your Easter ham. What I want is a little further down the pig.

Pork belly. That's right; unsmoked bacon. Rub it with salt and five-spice powder, roast it until it's juicy and crispy, and ummmmm....

gallery_52521_4309_580794.jpg

I call it "Poor man's foie gras."

Get in mah belly!

Edited by agalarneau (log)

Klary, that fava bean puree looks absolutely gorgeous

Dinner Saturday night was Hungarian Goulash with Spaetzle and red cabbage.

gallery_27944_2966_234747.jpg

Ann

I love goulash and spaetzle, that looks wonderful Ann!

oh we were lucky enough to be in on this- are you kidding??? all my favorite things!! wonderful dinner- loved the marrow bones! loved the tartare and the lamb had a sauce! avocado, mint and cream sauce.  :wub:  rocky rocks!  :laugh:

cocktails on the balcony last friday! 81 F in seattle! pineapple caipirihna's and snacks

453495121_124a8b1223.jpg

tonight we turned left over easter ham into croque monsieur with salad with a basil vinaigrette

453495101_92b21d90e2.jpg

I really need to come drop in for drinks more often! :wub: There's actually no cream in the sauce, it's all avocado baby. Mmmmmmmm, croque.

Some food from the weekend:

Confit Duck ravioli with Duck crackling, Dressing made with Duck jelly, olive oil and Jerez Vinegar.

gallery_895_976_29328.jpg

Rib of Belted galloway Beef with Morels, Buttered Curly Kale and Purple sprouting broccoli, Gnocchi and Grilled Shallot:

gallery_895_976_144530.jpg

And finally a dish based on a Giorgio Locatelli recipe in his lates book. Duck breast with farro, curly Kale with garlic and chill. Sauce made with Worcestershire sauce and olive oil:

gallery_895_976_52288.jpg

Just beautiful man!

You can have your Easter ham. What I want is a little further down the pig.

Pork belly. That's right; unsmoked bacon. Rub it with salt and five-spice powder, roast it until it's juicy and crispy, and ummmmm....

gallery_52521_4309_580794.jpg

I call it "Poor man's foie gras."

Get in mah belly!

Whoooaaah Belly! It looks divine.

It's a pantry week this week, gotta clean out the freezer and cupboards out a little bit. So towards that end, last night was kim chee stew. Pretty decent batch, it needed more tofu though.

kimcheestew41007ra1.jpg

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

Last evening the last of the Easter ham in soup, has to be some kind of record, it was only Tuesday. All on-hand veg dispensed with, everything cut into 3/8" dice before simmering. (Onion/shallot sauteed 1st.) Handful of chopped parsley from the garden at the end. Pretzel knot rolls topped with crunchy Maldon salt.

A tonic as we continue re-viewings in anticipation of Friday's Stargate return.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Bacon-wrapped enoki mushrooms (kids gave this two thumbs up)  :wub:

gallery_48583_4079_272946.jpg

You made it for dinner and I made it for brunch:

gallery_21049_162_56377.jpg

You need some pretty flavorful bacon for this, so I used Benton's bacon, which is extremely smoky and was recently voted #1 bacon in USA (and arguably the world).

Edited by percyn (log)

We're having unexpected houseguests tomorrow, so I didn't have too much time or energy to cook. Fortunately, we just returned from New Mexico, where a dear friend sent us home with some of her homemade green chile sauce. So I turned it into a deconstructed breakfast burrito.

Here's the dramatic shot:

gallery_15557_2797_42622.jpg

And here's the documentary shot:

gallery_15557_2797_16412.jpg

(The sun was setting and streaming on to the kitchen table so I thought I'd play around with it and see what I could get.)

From the bottom up:

Tortilla (Santa Fe Tortilla Company Carb Chopper, remarkably good for a low carb tortilla)

cheese

green chile sauce with cubed pork and sauteed onion

two fried eggs, over somewhere between medium and hard (oops)

more cheese for decoration

salsa

sour cream

Salad on the side (out of a bag: Fresh Express' Salsa salad kit which is tastier than it has any right to be)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Goulash and burritos and enoki and bacon and pork belly and kimchi stew and red curry and duck and ribs and more ribs and caipirihnas, oh my! I haven’t made goulash forever, and should.

We grilled 5-spice chicken wings and sliced up some eternal cucumbers. Mrs. C is out of town, so I made coconut rice as a treat for the boys. We also snacked on very ripe Peruvian mangos while dinner was cooking.

A plate of wings . . .

gallery_42956_2536_2023.jpg

. . . and wings on the plate.

gallery_42956_2536_35219.jpg

Sick with bad asthma and a touch of bronchitis, I fixed this for supper...

Korean glass noodles (Japchae) in a a container...

gallery_48583_4079_154368.jpg

Gyoza dumplings

gallery_48583_4079_86962.jpg

My humble meal in front of my computer (eating while posting on eGullet)...

gallery_48583_4079_16804.jpg

And for dessert, I went a little crazy. I made homemade cinnamon rolls for the first time.

Marlboro Man's favorite cinnamon rolls

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Chufi - your crepes w/ lemon curd is gorgeous! And those strawberries :wub: !

David - the Pear Tarte Tatin looks wonderful - thank you for the explicit directions. I'd love to try this.

Shaya - everything about your braised beef rib dinner looks delectible!

Bruce - your wings are just picture-perfect! Recipe? Please??!!

Easter was my last blast for awhile. I had carpal tunnel surgery on Tuesday, so I won't be cooking for awhile (or posting much either - this one-handed typing is a PITA!!).

The table:

gallery_34972_3580_450942.jpg

Ham & lamb:

gallery_34972_3580_741012.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_430789.jpg

Deviled Eggs:

gallery_34972_3580_1009240.jpg

Tony Bourdain's Potatoes:

gallery_34972_3580_962326.jpg

Which, this time I sliced on a mandolin the way that Marlene recommended - she was right - they turned out even better! Thanks, Marlene!:

gallery_34972_3580_385459.jpg

Roasted asparagus:

gallery_34972_3580_633203.jpg

A salad one of my sisters-in-law made:

gallery_34972_3580_765426.jpg

A cauliflower, brocolli & carrot casserole that another one of my sisters-in-law made:

gallery_34972_3580_690320.jpg

My desserts are here.

Bruce - your wings are just picture-perfect!  Recipe? Please??!!
Kim – Thank you! I used Mai Pham’s recipe for grilled five-spice chicken (clickety) from Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table. You can use whatever chicken parts you like, just adjust the cooking time. The most important tip is to keep the grill temperature moderate. High heat will turn the delicious marinade into charcoal.
Tony Bourdain's Potatoes:

gallery_34972_3580_962326.jpg

Which, this time I sliced on a mandolin the way that Marlene recommended - she was right - they turned out even better!  Thanks, Marlene!:

Your Easter dinner is gorgeous, especially those beautifully layered potatoes. One of these days I may have to break down and get a mandoline.

Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery.

Also wishing for a speedy recovery for Kim and Doddie.

Bruce, I just bunged that recipe into the old Epicurious recipe box; thank you for providing the link. Very inspiring, esp. as coconut rice had already come up for consideration in what's-for-dinner discussion.

Last evening, lasagne Bolognese, salade, additional Stargate due diligence. #1 for takeoff tonight, mid-season cliffhangers.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

the last of the Easter lasagna....finally

and some Pocky

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

On my own this evening, so simple steak and frozen fries. I was not going to the hassle of cutting potatoes, hauling out the oil and pot and doing a two step fry. for something like 10 french fries for myself. :biggrin:

gallery_6080_205_57400.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Holy crap that steak looks good Marlene. I was going to share some cereal with my kids for dinner but now I'm stopping at the store to pick up some New York strip and an artichoke. My mouth is watering just looking at it. Damn, just realized I forgot to get a refill of propane for my grill. Guess I gotta break out the cast iron.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

:blush: Thanks! I almost did this in the grill pan, but the weather finally cleared so I was able to fire up the grill instead.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Kim Shook I also made the gratin dauphonois from the bourdain book for easter. damn they are just the best, I hand slice mine cause I've always enjoyed the texture of a thicker slice but your picture is so pretty I will try them on the mandoline next time. Also do the asparagus with citrus and garlic out of batali's book which was a huge hit! both served with a ham my fil baked- delish!

Mmmmm Shaya, Kim, Marlene....gratin, braised short ribs, steak, almost makes this cold winter-esque weather tolerable if only for one more chance for those cold weather dishes. Though I must confess Wendy I'm green with envy over your dining al fresco pics. :sad: (sigh)

Bruce I planned to make wings stir fried in black bean sauce tonight but the package of chicken wings was smelling FUNKY! Plan B---chicken with coconut milk, lime, thai basil and jasmine rice alongside hzrt8w's Sichuan Style Dry-Fried String Beans.

gallery_15437_3722_630215.jpg