• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

First time posting here but I've borrowed so much from this thread I though I should at least try to give something back.

Dinner tonight was stir fried beef, swiss chard, spinach and onions. With szechuan peppercorns and five spice powder...

gallery_40942_4421_27619.jpg

It turned out really well and then I nearly ruined it by eating it over an absolutely horrid bag of uncle ben's instant microwave rice. There was this awful cloying sweetness from the rice that was not at all pleasant. I still ate all of it though, that's what happens when you're too hungry to wait to make real rice or noodles I guess.

Danf

Its funny as the picture loaded the first thing I noticed was that the rice looked funny....kinda big or something

the rest looks all saucy and happy though

Tracey

oh yeah tonights dinner was

Acini Pepe pasta with milk and butter....MMMMM baby food

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Danf

Its funny as the picture loaded the first thing I noticed was that the rice looked funny....kinda big or something

the rest looks all saucy and happy though

Tracey

oh yeah tonights dinner was

Acini Pepe pasta with milk and butter....MMMMM baby food

No, baby food is pastina, drained very well with lots of butter and an egg beaten in to it, to cook from the heat! YUM! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Marlene - thank you for the onion ring tip. We love them, but they are a pain to have ready exactly when everything else is. And I love anything in panko!!

I didn't get home tonight until after 10pm :blink:, so breakfast seemed appropriate. Scrambled egg, bacon and cheese burrito and salad. Simple, but satisfying and I can sleep on it without a tummyache:

gallery_34972_3580_1230901.jpg

oh, my...oh, my...oh,my.....

burgers and onion rings

chicken and cashews

tonight john wanted pork so it will be pork marsala with some rice pasta

for me it will be a nice salad with avacado and green goddess dressing... can you have buttermilk blue cheese with the green goddess?

in the meantime the baked beans are on hour 3 in the low oven for tomorrow's dinner served with raisin brown bread and toffuti cream cheese for one of my favorite childhood meals

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Man, you guys are cranking out some good food. Marlene's burger reminded me that I forgot to post a picture of my own burger from a week ago. There is a store here that sells burgers with foie gras and truffles. I made some fries from scratch, grilled it up, and served on a brioche bun with some petit mache. Yum!

440119814_58c087fc2a.jpg

then an easy dinner for us after of leeks vinaigrette with fried egg and pancetta

439418534_b8198ab929.jpg

this picture is absolutely perfect and belongs in a book! The lines, the movement, the color. The little bits of shallot and grains of mustard. Beautiful.

Wendy how did you fry the egg and so that it became browned all over?

I was off today and I was able to cook. We ate early (for us) - not quite 7pm and we are all finished except for the dishes :sad: .

Tried two new things today.

Alton Brown's Slow Cooker Pepper Pork Chops w/ onions and dried apples:

gallery_34972_3580_765307.jpg

Tony Bourdain's Gratin Dauphinois. Marlene made this earlier this month and helped me with it. Thank you so much, Marlene. These potatoes were fantastic. I am seriously scalloped/au gratin potato impaired. They always turn out undercooked. These were perfectly cooked and tasted wonderful! I need to write a thank you note to Mr. B!:

gallery_34972_3580_1266844.jpg

Plate with the addition of some Southern (USA) long cooked Italian green beans :wink: . A ham hock, a touch of brown sugar, lots of pepper and a couple of hours on the stove in my old club aluminum pot and they were perfect:

gallery_34972_3580_406020.jpg

I got my hands on some fresh morels. I made a morel cream sauce with peas and tossed with some handmade gnocchi that I had in the freezer (leftover from another dinner a couple of weeks back). Wish I could have gotten some fresh peas, but it is still too early--had to use frozen from WF. Topped it with crispy, pan-roasted poussin.

440226835_ed7e1fea26.jpg

Bravo Kim! They look great!

We ordered in Chinese tonight so no pics. I'm busy prepping for a dinner party tomorrow night. The menu will be:

Nibbles

Alsace Onion Tart

Parmesan dusted potato chips

Main

Spit Roasted Prime Rib

Individual Roasted Garlic Potato Souffles

Carnival Corn

Grilled cippoline onions

Homemade dinner rolls

Dessert

White Chocolate Mousse and Strawberry Parfaits

Cheese Course

This could be considered my Easter dinner I guess since next weekend is our anniversary and we plan to spend it in Toronto at various restaurants. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Even on Fridays we tend to have a quick dinner.

Thinly sliced chicken breast, marinated in olive oil and ancho chile powder, grilled on the stovetop.

White beans (sauteed some onion and celery in olive oil; added some chicken broth and reduced it; added some more and reduced it; put in a can of white beans - drained and rinsed - and some rosemary).

Sliced tomatoes and radishes

It must've smelled great because the cats went crazy.

Michael

LMF, that egg and pancetta dish looks absolutely amazing.

Kim, I may need to use that potato recipe...looks great

Blissful Glutton, the gnocchi and poussin look perfect...mmm, crispy skin

Here are a couple of dinners from the past week:

Cauliflower soup with guanciale and sauteed chinese leeks:

gallery_45959_4078_35181.jpg

Pressure cooker shortribs with kohlrabi and carrots. Once again, I'm amazed at what the pressure cooker can do...

gallery_45959_4078_16115.jpg

Edited by Nishla (log)

Kim, I may need to use that potato recipe...looks great

Pressure cooker shortribs with kohlrabi and carrots.  Once again, I'm amazed at what the pressure cooker can do...

gallery_45959_4078_16115.jpg

Nishla - here you go: Gratin Dauphinois! It really was good. Thanks to Marlene and Tony, I can now serve guest quality gratins without the embarrassment of watery, still-crunchy potatoes :biggrin: ! I even PM'd Mr. B. a thank you note.

And I just have to say: I GOTTA get a pressure cooker. Those short ribs? <Drool>!!!

Kim

I've been playing catchup and going back and looking at all the wonderful meals over the last couple of weeks.

I have to make mention of DesertCulinary Vermont Cheddar Mashed Yukon Golds.

And Rocky's posole, rice, beans, and tortillas. Makes me want Mexican for dinner.

Nishla Your cauliflower soup looks amazing. Like velvet with all those wonderful garnishes.

And all of Shaya's and Bruce's delicious looking dinners. And Marlene I'm looking forward to the photo of your Prime Rib dinner. Your beef is always perfectly cooked.

I've been without cameras for the last couple of weeks, since mine were stolen. But I'm back in business.

I baked yesterday. Sourdough bread.

gallery_27944_2966_406647.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_487009.jpg

Last nights dinner was Burgers on sourdough rolls with a side of homemade potato chips.

gallery_27944_2966_291131.jpg

Cream Cheese Brownies

gallery_27944_2966_222467.jpg

Great looking stuff all around. I disappear for a few days and catching up on all this great-looking food is hard.

Ann: That bread looks amazing. Great color and I can only imagine the texture is scrumptious. Those brownies look gorgeous as well.

Nishla: You are making me think I need to go get a pressure cooker if it can produce such a lovely meal.

Ann, welcome back! Those brownies look gorgeous. You should contribute them to the brownie bake-off in the pastry forum!

We had sheep for dinner. I don't know if there's an elegant english word for this meat! Sheep steak sounds weird.. But that's what it was, and delicious, tender, flavorfull meat it was too. With a garlic/red wine gravy, endives braised with rosemary and bacon, and sweet potato pancakes.

Custard/rhubarb/meringue for dessert!

gallery_21505_2929_17617.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_2918.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Tonight's dinner: I made a kale, potato, green garlic, and scallion tortilla. Everything, except the potatoes, came from my local green market. Served it with a simple green salad dressed with a tangy and light dressing. Really satisfying and light. Wish I had some of Ann's bread (and her brownies) to go with...

441369879_65d80afca8.jpg

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

results from our dinner party tonight.

We started with garlic herb potato chips

gallery_6080_205_114303.jpg

And an Alsace onion tart

gallery_6080_205_117691.jpg

gallery_6080_205_15853.jpg

Spit roasted prime rib

gallery_6080_205_169956.jpg

Potato souffles

gallery_6080_205_41094.jpg

carnival corn

gallery_6080_205_62381.jpg

roasted cippoline onions

gallery_6080_205_43415.jpg

Homemade dinner rolls

gallery_6080_205_74417.jpg

Plated

gallery_6080_205_45428.jpg

Dessert was a white chocolate mascarpone and raspberry parfait

gallery_6080_205_22968.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

then an easy dinner for us after of leeks vinaigrette with fried egg and pancetta

439418534_b8198ab929.jpg

this picture is absolutely perfect and belongs in a book! The lines, the movement, the color. The little bits of shallot and grains of mustard. Beautiful.

Wendy how did you fry the egg and so that it became browned all over?

Chufi those are some very kind words- thank you!

I put the eggs in the same pan that I cooked the pancetta in, with all the pancetta fat and then some butter! so the butter/oil was all brown and yummy and then the eggs were too!