• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

I am so in awe of all the posts and pics here! Dinner tonight was a golden beet salad with beet greens and lusciously creamy feta, with olive oil and lemon juice:

gallery_51217_4287_447299.jpg

And then green pozole, with shredded cheddar and extra cilantro on top:

gallery_51217_4287_411092.jpg

Desert was a snickers ice cream bar! Yum! How do they manage to get the caramel to stay liquid in those fabulous thing? :-)

Emily

Dinner tonight was Kill-the-grill-pan Bleu Cheese Burgers on onion rolls, tots and my Poppaws green beans (sounds better than it is - its just canned, whole green beans-unheated-with a oil and vinegar dressing on them):

gallery_34972_3580_361163.jpg

Seriously, the burgers killed our grill pan. Look:

gallery_34972_3925_977122.jpg

gallery_34972_3925_262342.jpg

We have used it often, it is sufficiently seasoned, and I usually love cooking with cast iron. But this particular pan is a giant pain in the ass. Alton Brown recommends filling the grids with salt to make the pan easier to clean after cooking. It helps with cleaning the 'valleys', but not the 'tips'. So the pan is killed. I am going to start saving for this.

:angry:

Kim

Some seriously great looking food tonight! Especially the stir fried beef and the green posole.

I've been reading The Whole Beast lately, and now I want to make everything in it, but for a starter just to get a feel for Fergus Henderson's style I decided to make parsley salad, no marrow, :( I forgot to pick some up. I served it with some bbq beer braised pork.

Salad

parsleysaladandpork1jr7.jpg

Pork

parsleysaladandpork2nr7.jpg

Dinner!

parsleysaladandpork3gd0.jpg

Rocky

That pork looks fabulous!  Can you share the recipe?

Thanks Marlene. Pretty simple prep for a weekday night. Pork shoulder cut as country style ribs lightly coated with my own spice rub, pretty much any spice rub will do, into a cast iron pot (Ikea Le Creuset knock off, I call them Le CrIkea) with the lid on at 325F for an hour. After the hour add one pint of Guiness and about a cup of your favorite bbq sauce, mix it in, cover and back into the oven for another hour, after that hour take the cover off and back into the oven for another 45 minutes or so.

Rocky

Dinner of simple flavors tonight. I had some nice white asperges and some sweet potatoes that needed attention, so I made a small creamy soup of each.

Creamy White Asparagus Soup with Parmigiano Crisp - the kids loved the soup, not so much the cheese crisp

gallery_41870_2503_221892.jpg

Sweet Potato with Star Anise and Sauteed Oyster Mushrooms - the kids were not a fan; my husband loved this one most; I really enjoyed both soups :smile:

gallery_41870_2503_382354.jpg

Then we dug into a plate of my chicken bourag.

And I made my first creme brulee for dessert. Megan, whereever you are, I needed your blowtorch tonight! I put them under the broiler and they crisped up beautifully, but I wasn't crazy about the way the heat changed the texture of the custard underneath.

Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee

gallery_41870_2503_641985.jpg

Edited by Shaya (log)

Here is our Asian dinner from two nights ago.

Seafood Soup - I made an Asian chicken stock with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, ... added fresh shellfish, oyster mushrooms, bok choy, snow peas and my homemade egg noodles.

gallery_41870_2503_43928.jpg

Shrimp Dumplings - reminds me we need to go out for dimsum again soon.

gallery_41870_2503_39136.jpg

In something a little different for dinner - breakfast. Omelette with Pommes Frites

The omlette had red and green diced peppers, bacon and cheddar

gallery_6080_205_24640.jpg

gallery_6080_205_200.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We have used it often, it is sufficiently seasoned, and I usually love cooking with cast iron. But this particular pan is a giant pain in the ass. Alton Brown recommends filling the grids with salt to make the pan easier to clean after cooking. It helps with cleaning the 'valleys', but not the 'tips'. So the pan is killed. I am going to start saving for this.

the anodized pan just doesn't give the satisfaction of a cast-iron grill pan, in my estimation. i treat my iron pan like a pet (since i don't have a dachshund -- or the possibility to grill outside); i only bring it out when i am willing to go thru the scrubbin' trouble (with coarse salt or steel wool). but i do love the flavour, the grill marks and the whole atmosphere (smoky!!) it provides. after cooking i scour it, dry it and put it back in its baggie. hmm... maybe i should get a life?

Edited by -sheila mooney (log)

I like the Le Creuset grill pan actually. It cleans up like a dream.

Marlene

the kids loved the soup, not so much the cheese crisp

shaya I have never heard of kids liking soup and not crispy cheese! :wacko:

dinner from the last few nights

Sunday Dayne picked up mussels from the farmers market and we did them up with some bacon and shallot sauce. served with baguette and salad also from said market

438284349_eb89c1f737.jpg

then last night we had fondue with baguette and french country ham. cornichons on the side. rhone wine in the glass

438284353_ff3e149dfd.jpg

tonight a recipe from Mario- ricotta gnocchi with spicy sausage sauce and a green salad. yum!

438284357_c7ac9a3392.jpg

Shaya that all looks wonderful!

Nice frites Marlene! They look very nice and crispy.

Wendy, I'll be right over for leftovers!

Dinner tonight:

Happy National Food on a Stick Day! Fired up the grill for the first time this year (it's not too cold Wendy) and made yakitori, shrimp, corn, sausages, and corn dogs with Methow Valley Brewing Company Vienna Style Lager.

Grilling

foodonastick3eq8.jpg

foodonastick2pf9.jpg

Rocky

ludja what a wonderful French feast! Thanks for reminding me that I still have the salmon rillettes on my wishlist. And the gateau basque looks wonderful.

Thanks Chufi! It was a nice birthday celebration, even more fun and with more courses because we split the cooking among the four of us! Looking through others comments ahead of time on "The Cooking of Southwest France" thread also really helped.

First balconey dinner... yeah!

That Batalli ricotta gnocchi with sausage sauce looks and sounds amazing, ms foodie!

All the posole talk, including now the green posole, is making my mouth water as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Nobody needs to be jealous anymore, :raz: because today in Amsterdam it's grey and damp, so it's back to the kitchentable for dinner.

I'm pretty sure I had Shaya's picture of that bowl of soup with sauteed oystermushrooms somewhere in my unconscious when I went shopping today, because I bought oystermushrooms, which I never do!

Ostrich steak with oyster mushrooms, shallots and bacon

Pea & chive mash

gallery_21505_2929_15202.jpg

Sorry, but I need some help with instructions on how to post a great photo of a halibut dish I did. Although I know food and cooking, be patient with me, I'm a rookie with computers and pasting in photos. Can someone give me some "pasting in a food photo into a reply for computer dummies" info for me?

Can someone give me some "pasting in a food photo into a reply for computer dummies" info for me?

Here's a how-to for ImageGullet:

"ImageGullet 2.0, a new way to manage images"

See Lesson 2 for how to upload images.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

First burger grilled outdoors for this season (yes that's plastic cheese. Sometimes it just works, ya know?)

gallery_6080_205_12439.jpg

Served with panko coated onion rings

gallery_6080_205_26035.jpg

Marlene

:biggrin: The onion rings are great for two reasons. One I love things crusted in panko. Two, I can (I didn't this time) deep fry these ahead of time, and if I put them in a 350 oven for 10 minutes when I'm ready to serve, the crispyness comes right back.

Marlene