• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

A few Philly eGulleteers were lucky enough to be invited by Monsieur and Madame TarteTatin for a dinner of cassoulet and, of course, tarte tatin! Food and company both were superb.

snacks: lamp pepperoni, truffled popcorn, radishes

gallery_23992_4358_57039.jpg

cassoulet #1

gallery_23992_4358_41829.jpg

cassoulet #2

gallery_23992_4358_121701.jpg

hidden among the two different beans was duck confit, pork belly, pork shank, a couple different kinds of sausages...I'm probably forgetting something...  whatever was in there, it was truly delicious.

gallery_23992_4358_19653.jpg

if only we'd had something to drink...

gallery_23992_4358_35938.jpg

somehow in my porky thrall I failed to get a photo of the wonderful frisée salad that served as a nice bright counterpoint to the rich luxury of the cassoulet.

I regained my senses in time for the cheese course:

gallery_23992_4358_200206.jpg

and how could we have dinner chez tartetatin without Tarte Tatin?

gallery_23992_4358_136951.jpg

gallery_23992_4358_149785.jpg

Much respect, and major thanks to chef!

gallery_23992_4358_78430.jpg

and of course to Madame TarteTatin for the very gracious and generous hospitality.

Thanks too to the other Philly eGulleteers at the table for the fine company and fine wines!

Ah, the French you have to love them.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Made a flan the other night. Good texture and super-creamy. I am not a big fan of individual ramekins. My family (from Mexico and Brazil) always made it in a pyrex pie dish and then sliced into wedges.

427164961_1957476b6f.jpg

That is a SEXY flan.

If i were that way inclined...and made of dairy, also... :cool:

Edited by GTO (log)

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Ooooooh...cassoulet, clams, peasant soup all look so good...

Yesterday we cooked a duck, along with a few other items:

Started with a cheese plate:

gallery_45959_4078_32474.jpg

From top center to the right are asian pear with fresh goat cheese and long pepper, humboldt fog, and a pyrenees sheep milk cheese with figs soaked in sherry.

We made confit with the legs and wings, and served it over frisee with dried cherries, pistachios and an orange/mustard dressing:

gallery_45959_4078_66861.jpg

Mushroom soup topped with a chestnut foam (wanted to play with the iSi whip!). Also in the dish are sauteed mushrooms, crispy shallots, thyme and strips of speck ham:

gallery_45959_4078_44568.jpg

Five spice duck breast with mashed white sweet potato (with ginger and cinnamon) and brussels sprouts with chili garlic sauce and fish sauce:

gallery_45959_4078_20751.jpg

We had this with a 1999 Zind Humbrecht Riesling, which I thought might be too old, but it was great with the ginger and other spices.

My first attempt at creme brulee, this was flavored with earl gray (an idea I borrowed after having it at Eastern Standard)

gallery_45959_4078_21892.jpg

The custard wasn't as smooth as I hoped, but it tasted good :smile:

Five spice duck breast with mashed white sweet potato (with ginger and cinnamon) and brussels sprouts with chili garlic sauce and fish sauce:

gallery_45959_4078_20751.jpg

OK, I just keep rolling this particular dish around in my head and imagining the flavors together. Five-spice duck breast: yum. Sweet potato with ginger and cinnamon: yum, and great complement to the cinnamon and ginger in the five-spice powder. Brussels sprouts: yum. Brussels sprouts with chili garlic sauce and fish sauce: major double yum.

Warm, spicy, sweet, salty, bitter, succulent, aromatic - man, that sounds good.

OK, I just keep rolling this particular dish around in my head and imagining the flavors together. Five-spice duck breast: yum. Sweet potato with ginger and cinnamon: yum, and great complement to the cinnamon and ginger in the five-spice powder. Brussels sprouts: yum. Brussels sprouts with chili garlic sauce and fish sauce: major double yum.

Warm, spicy, sweet, salty, bitter, succulent, aromatic - man, that sounds good.

It's funny, when I was making the brussels sprouts and the kitchen was stinking of fish sauce (a little goes a loooooong way), I instantly thought of your Dinner posts :biggrin: These turned out really well. Let us know if you try it!

Nishla that looks like a spectacular meal!!

we had Normandy chicken tonight- chicken breasts cooked in apples, onions, cognac and brut hard cider. served with some fresh carrots, zuchini and peas and mashed potatoes with marscopone cheese. excellent! I'm not feeling well so while dayne had a glass of red I had a rhubarb Dry Soda which was really tasty with it!

427680246_6f3eda9f06.jpg

Made a flan the other night. Good texture and super-creamy. I am not a big fan of individual ramekins. My family (from Mexico and Brazil) always made it in a pyrex pie dish and then sliced into wedges.

427164961_1957476b6f.jpg

Oh Blissful Glutton! Please tell me how you made this creamy slice of heaven. Flan has been my downfall and I aim to make something like your wonderful creation. Will you share/PM the recipe pls? *puppy dog eyes*

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

427164961_1957476b6f.jpg

Oh Blissful Glutton! Please tell me how you made this creamy slice of heaven. Flan has been my downfall and I aim to make something like your wonderful creation. Will you share/PM the recipe pls? *puppy dog eyes*

DG: I used a variation of a recipe from here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108137

I do not bother to separate the eggs and whip separately. Just through it all into a blender and mix very well--you want to make sure there is not egg yolk left or you will have a funky consistency. It calls for cans of evaporated milk and condensed milk, but there are no specifics. Use a 12oz can of evaporated milk and a 14oz can of condensed milk along with the cup of whole milk. Just make sure you watch in towards the last 10 minutes of cooking to ensure you don't form a crust on the top. It is so easy you won't believe it.

After a week's vacation, I'm back in the kitchen. Tonight's dinner was ham steak with cider gravy, corn muffins and potato gratin.

gallery_6080_205_66169.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I was SOOOO eying up the ham steaks at the store today but ended up with country style ribs instead. They got grilled with red potatoes, red peppers and portabellas, whcih all got washed down with a tomato cucumber salad.

extra peppers and mushrooms going with salami and fresh mozz tomorrow....if I stop at the deli

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tonight we made banh mi (hungry kids, no pictures), and sticky rice with roast chicken and scallion oil (xoi ga). We used Sunday’s leftover garlicky roast chicken (ga ro-ti), but I did not have time to pick up baguettes so we made the banh mi with potato rolls. :shock: Banh mi makes a wonderful quick dinner – we arrived home very late this evening, and we were eating in ten minutes.

This was my first time making sticky rice. I will probably finish the small bag that we bought, but so far I prefer jasmine rice. The scallion oil garnish added richness and a nice subtle accent, though – we will make that again. Daikon and carrot pickle (do chua) on the side.

gallery_42956_2536_36156.jpg

Edit: clumsy fingers.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

I really need to learn how to make sticky rice. My husband keeps bugging me for it.

Very nice Bruce!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I really need to learn how to make sticky rice.  My husband keeps bugging me for it.

Very nice Bruce!

Thank you, Marlene. We soaked the sticky rice for several hours, drained and rinsed it in a colander, and tossed it with a little salt. After boiling water in the stock pot, we mounded the rice in the center of the stock pot insert and steamed for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a spatula until the rice grains became translucent and chewy. Pretty straightforward, really.

I have not tried it, but Thai Table has a recipe for making sticky rice in a microwave.

I have not tried it, but Thai Table has a recipe for making sticky rice in a microwave.

I'm seriously rice-cooking-impaired and I always make my sticky rice in the microwave. It comes out perfect every time and it's so easy!

I love loco moco!! yum! do you serve it in a bowl or a dish?? I like it in a bowl!

tonight we made octaveman's mongolian beef! it was great!! served simply over rice. the beef was sooooo tender! thank you  :biggrin:

428879087_944ce82924.jpg

In a bowl to keep all of that gravy from running off the edges.

Shalmanese, it's in RecipeGullet (search for mongolian :smile: )

I haven't posted here in a while. Many not-so-noteworthy dinners, and a couple of good dinners that were safe old favorites.

Yesterdays dinner was good! Dutch 'slavink' (beef/pork wrapped in bacon), details here with mustard/parsley mash and braised cabbage. Lovely comfortfood.

gallery_21505_1968_51647.jpg

edited to add: Bruce beat me to it (and he even added the proper link :biggrin: )

Edited by Chufi (log)