• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Wow, Nishla, you returned with a flourish!!  The apple slices are little works of art---the whole picture belongs in a frame.  And the "long peppers, ground-up"---what are they?  It looks like a scatter of ground peppercorns, but were they raw and green?

The Ziti would grace any long, sunny Sunday table under the grape arbor, with wine in little tumblers, two dozen mismatched chairs, and a big, laughing family gathered round.

And the noodle dish---hot or cold?

Very beautiful dinners. Love the apple slices -- I'm intrigued to hear more about them too.

Hi All

Wonderful, wonderful pictures and recipes, I look forward to contributing soon with some genuine Greek cooking, "just the way my mama made it"

In the meantime if anyone needs first hand advice on Greek cuisine feel free to ask.

See ya soon

Hi All

Wonderful, wonderful pictures and recipes, I look forward to contributing soon with some genuine Greek cooking, "just the way my mama made it"

In the meantime if anyone needs first hand advice on Greek cuisine feel free to ask.

See ya soon

Oh boy, Greek cooking! Now I am excited! :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Hi All

See ya soon

A hearty WELCOME and please cook!!! And photograph.

And today, I found some quite interesting bacon. I can't remember the exact name but iit's basically both the lean back meat and the streaky, still attached. It's quite bizzarre to look at, when your mind separates the two.

gallery_49436_4127_95939.jpg

You know, looking at that cut, it occurs to me that it's the same exact cut used for the "fake" prosciutto that I enjoy, made in Germany, sold by Trader Joe's.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

Tonight’s dinner featured the return of shrimp two ways: spicy tamarind shrimp (from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen) and Sichuan pepper-salt shrimp. I also made tamarind-ginger dipping sauce (also from ItVK). Mrs. C made a cabbage and bacon salad (yum) and rice.

Sichuan pepper-salt shrimp

gallery_42956_2536_6328.jpg

Spicy tamarind shrimp

gallery_42956_2536_4606.jpg

Bruce: It's wonderful that you and Mrs. C cook together. I'm happy with hubby just helping stack dishes into the dishwasher!

Is that Thai basil on the shrimp? I love that stuff - more than the regular basil.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for the comments everyone! DG, after spending a week in YOUR kitchen through your blog, you're welcome in my kitchen anytime :smile:

Here's a photo of the long peppers:

gallery_45959_4078_39939.jpg

They taste like a cross between a szechuan peppercorn and a spicy chili pepper. Very floral, a tiny bit numbing, and great with cheese and fruit (mashed up with a mortar and pestle).

Racheld, the noodles were cold, and even better for leftovers the next day :smile:

Bruce: It's wonderful that you and Mrs. C cook together. I'm happy with hubby just helping stack dishes into the dishwasher!

Is that Thai basil on the shrimp? I love that stuff - more than the regular basil.

Yup, Thai basil - I love it too. I should have switched the garnishes - scallions with the S&P shrimp and Thai basil with the tamarind shrimp. Oh, well, there is always something to improve on next time.

Cooking together is delightful, especially when we can watch the boys laughing and playing in the front yard while we cook. But hey, don't knock help cleaning up (or appreciative diners, either). :biggrin:

Well I was a busy wee thing yesterday and while Mrs.HdV was at the gym I made smoked rainbow trout and wild garlic and as a main course, no sniggering as I know there are other connotations to this word but it is a foodstuff, Faggots.

I apologise that there were no assembled dishes but the camera batteries failed and we weren`t waiting a second longer and it was gone in clink of cutlery :laugh:

gallery_52392_4349_118397.jpg

gallery_52392_4350_165033.jpg

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

This thread keeps going and going like a never-ending stream of foody awesomeness!

Not much posting from me lately, but well here is a little something:

Daeji Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Pork) and Haemul Pajeon (Seafood Scallion Pancake)

Korea_Combo_1_02.jpg

Tandoori Chicken and Dal (Lentil Curry)

Dal.jpg

I'm still trying to get more into Indian cooking :laugh:

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

Hi All

See ya soon

:shock: You live in Athens?! So lucky!!! Please share with us how to make a proper avgolemono! Cheers!

Quick dinner last night after a happy hour - I think its essential to always have the makings for a Croque Monsieur on hand, especially good on home made no-knead bread which I now make at least once a week.

gallery_39170_2381_162607.jpg

gallery_48528_4321_5205.jpg

The picture isn't great, but I was really excited by how this turned out.

The pork loin was butterflied and pounded, then filled with a mixture of spinach, cream, onions, garlic, parmesan cheese, an egg, bread crumbs and capers. I had alittle too much filling, but it tasted great.

Served with baby bellas and white beans.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Was feeling a bit under the weather yesterday, so I made some matzoh ball soup from scratch. It took about 5 hours, but was worth the wait and work. Topped with some micro-watercress, which gave it some nice bite.

423104306_1071e696dd.jpg

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Was feeling a bit under the weather yesterday, so I made some matzoh ball soup from scratch. It took about 5 hours, but was worth the wait and work. Topped with some micro-watercress, which gave it some nice bite.

423104306_1071e696dd.jpg

First, I do hope you're well.

Second, that looks really good and since this shiksa has both matzo and chicken stock in the house, would you mind sharing your recipe?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Quick dinner last night after a happy hour - I think its essential to always have the makings for a Croque Monsieur on hand, especially good on home made no-knead bread which I now make at least once a week.

gallery_39170_2381_162607.jpg

mmmmmm! now that is my kind of snack ...note to self- must make croque monsieur at home! We actually had these last night too but they were at the bar we were drinking at- they serve them onto of some bechemel sauce :wub:

gallery_48528_4321_5205.jpg

The picture isn't great, but I was really excited by how this turned out.

The pork loin was butterflied and pounded, then filled with a mixture of spinach, cream, onions, garlic, parmesan cheese, an egg, bread crumbs and capers. I had alittle too much filling, but it tasted great.

Served with baby bellas and white beans.

that looks gorgeous!

Hi All

See ya soon

:shock: You live in Athens?! So lucky!!! Please share with us how to make a proper avgolemono! Cheers!

Avgolemono...no problem it's extremely easy all you need are two eggs and a cup of lemon juice

Beat your eggs really well until they starrt going lemony in color then slowly add your lemon juice(don't stop beating those eggs)

Now if you are making avgolemono soup, add about 2 cups of the soup slowly into your egg and lemon mix beating all the while then add the now warmed mixture back into your soup ( remember to keep stirring and not to let the soup come to a boil)

The result should be a nice creamy looking soup

Another way to use avgolemeno

This is one of my favourite veggie dishes

ARTICHOKES WITH DILL

12 medium-sized globe artichokes

1 ½ cup chopped spring onions, white part only

1 ¼ cup of olive or other oil

Juice of 1 lemon

3 cups of water

Salt and pepper to taste

2 tbspns of finely chopped dill

3 tspns of corn flour

Cold water

2 eggs

In a large pan gently fry spring onions until soft. Add juice

of ½ a lemon, water ,about 2 tspns of salt and a good

grinding of pepper. Bring to the boil.

Add artichokes to the pan together with the dill. Return to

a slow simmer, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes

or until the artichokes are tender.

Strain cooking liquid into a pan and boil until reduced

to half original quantity (about 1 ½ cups).Keep artichokes

hot in a slow oven.

Mix corn flour to a paste with a little cold water and stir

into simmering liquid. Stir until thickened and bubbling

and leave to simmer gently.

Beat eggs in a mixing bowl until light and frothy and

gradually add remaining lemon juice. Gradually pour in

simmering stock, beating constantly. Return to the pan and

stir over low heat for a minute or 2 to cook the egg.

Pile artichokes on a warm platter, pour sauce on top and

sprinkle with chopped dill.

Happy GREEN to everyone!!! I usually have a nice hunka corned beef simmering for this holiday, with carrots, tiny potatoes and cabbage wedges to be added later. We always have several mustards, a loaf of Shapiro's rye, and maybe a bean salad alongside.

But this afternoon is a housewarming for DS#2 and DDIL, given by several of their friends, and DDIL requested that I make her favorite "rollups"---two kinds, one with Cuisinart-whirled green pepper, jalapeno, and green onion tops mixed into cream cheese with a little crushed garlic and a bit of mayo. Spread onto big flour tortillas, rolled, and cut into inch or so slices to arrange pinwheel on the platter.

The same with mock crab, creamcheese, onion tops and garlic, ditto tortillas.

We'll be having munchies late, so dinner will probably be light (and not corned beef) :sad: Maybe tomorrow.