• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Kim, that all looks amazing. I can live without the celery however. I hate it so much. I'm loving your spice cookies, I thought they were salted at first.

Blether: I suppose it would be pretty sexy in slow motion.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Kim, I've never seen anything like those candies before. They're adorable!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Kim,

Please, please post your recipe for those Sugar Baby cookies! I LURV molasses/spice cookies and they can only be made amazing with the addition of those little Sugar Baby candies!

<mostly a lurker, but this one drew me out>

Pam

(isn't my picture pretty? Sorry, but I think it's my best effort since I got a digital!)

And the cutest candy, ever:

(sorry it's blurry)

Kim

Kim, that does look good. The chives (right?) make it for me. As for blurry, did you buy a little tripod ? (I have one but didn't use it - once again my excuse is laziness, but I can throw in disorganisation in this case, too).

GTO: the speed didn't seem to matter much from the inside.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

[

They were probably Ann's.  Mine weren't that spectacular.

I don't think so Marlene. Your cinnamon bun picture was the reason that I made them.

Yes but your's looked so much better. In any case, the recipe I used is in Bread Baker's Apprentice. I don't have time to adapt the recipe in my own words before I leave on vacation in the morning, but I will when I get back. One thing my sister in law suggested when she made them was to use a butter, brown sugar cinnamon spread instead of the cinnamon sugar. she tried it and apparently they were divine that way.

Both of yours looked quite good. Thanks for sending the recipe Ann!

Here is the link for the spice cooky recipe. It is an Elinor Klivans recipe - I love her stuff - never had one of her recipes be anything be delicious!

Blether - yep, those are chives, which I also love dearly. The creamy sauce under the roast beef has chives and capers in it :wub: . I do not have a tripod, and I really should invest. Do they make little ones that you can use table top?

Do they make little ones that you can use table top?

This one cost me about ten bucks - the legs extend to a yard or more, and it's by no means the most compact of those available:

gallery_51808_4320_259756.jpg

I'm so happy (read: incredulous) that not only are the chives but yes, the tarragon too, already sprouting this year. I was worried I'd lost the latter):

gallery_51808_4320_172574.jpg

(The little birds are great fans of young herbs, too: also of earth baths).

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Joe: Beautiful S&P shrimp!

I do not have a tripod, and I really should invest.  Do they make little ones that you can use table top?

Kim: Have you tried using a small beanbag (or bag of rice) to steady your camera? As an, um, frugal person, I brace our point-and-shoot camera against any convenient solid object, usually the kettle handle. :rolleyes:

To keep this post on subject, yesterday’s dinner was stir-fried chicken and shallots over jasmine rice, and stir-fried cabbage with chiles and Sichuan peppercorns. Hmm, we have had many monochromatic meals lately – time for some fresh spring colors!

gallery_42956_2536_25830.jpg

Well, Blether, here it is, the offending Linguini from a couple of nights ago! :laugh:

gallery_49436_4127_7039.jpg

And today, I found some quite interesting bacon. I can't remember the exact name but iit's basically both the lean back meat and the streaky, still attached. It's quite bizzarre to look at, when your mind separates the two.

gallery_49436_4127_95939.jpg

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11734290...321_1817820.jpg

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11734290...4321_578758.jpg

This is my first time trying to post photos and I may have screwed it all up. If so, maybe practice will make perfect.

The last two weekends, my husband and I worked on our sushi making skills. We need work, but it tasted great.

Edited by shellfishfiend (log)

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Aspargus with sauce gribiche as a starter...

gallery_44514_3138_1115537.jpg

.. Moving on to a rather big oven roasted chicken breast (400grams), risotto made from the chicken stock, and a field salad with sundried tomato, vinagrette and parmesan cheese.

gallery_44514_3138_821126.jpg

Did Anyone else notice how well sundried tomatos taste with the parmesan cheese?

This is my first time trying to post photos and I may have screwed it all up. If so, maybe practice will make perfect.

The last two weekends, my husband and I worked on our sushi making skills. We need work, but it tasted great.

Shellfishfiend - I think what you are doing is hitting the http:// button up top rather than the IMG button. You are linking to your photos (which, btw, are beautiful!) instead of posting them.

Kim

Shellfishfiend - I think what you are doing is hitting the http:// button up top rather than the IMG button. You are linking to your photos (which, btw, are beautiful!) instead of posting them.

Kim

Thank you Kim, you are right. I later found the thread on how to post photos and will (keep your fingers crossed) get it right next time.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

very very pretty everyone!

tonight we were prepping for a dinner party tomorrow so a simple dinner of salad lyonnaise with a little strip of duck crackling! and there was a cheese plate (not pictured) of chevre, 23 mo old aged english chedder and blue de basque with fresh baguette.

IMG_2383.jpg

cote des rhones in the glass

My Everyday Mexican extravagaza continues! This time? Enchiladas:

gallery_40237_4099_7036.jpg

Gruzia: Mmm, enchiladas.

Blether: Thanks!

Wendy: Beautiful picture!

Tonight we had chicken fried rice with sorta-Sichuan flavors. We stir-fried the chicken separately after marinating in soy sauce, toban djan, sugar, oil, and cornstarch. The boys’ batch of fried rice had garlic, ginger, chiles, shallots, roasted chile paste, fish sauce, egg, and scallions. Our batch had all of the above, plus edamame and cilantro.

I enjoyed mine with Sriracha, hoisin sauce, and a squeeze of lime.

gallery_42956_2536_39084.jpg

Last night's Nearing-the-end-of-the-COLD-weather dinner was strips of chicken breast in a coconut-curry sauce over basmati---usual toppings: a lovely long-shred coconut that seems to have been sparkled with the finest sugar grains; cashews and tart lemon pickle.

A side of stir-fried Napa with soy and garlic; crisp cucumber spears and grape tomatoes with a little dish of salty mayo for dipping; crunchy round toasted bagel crisps which crumble into buttery bits in your mouth.

A Stover coconut egg for dessert. (Sorta fit the theme).

I came home from work to find a very-tired wife and a kg of pig belly. I was presented with a simple ultimatum

"Make me something good, and make it now"

I bisected the swine,chopped up half, then cut the other half into nice slabs.

I took the chopped stuff, and did it up in a red curry with some of the basil I'd found at the commissary. Typical Thai preparation with coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, sugar, onion, and a bit of stock. Slice up some zucchini and toss them in because I like them. Finished by letting the basil wilt in a the end.

Meanwhile I did a moo wan "sweet pork". For this I used the outer layer of pig fat to get some grease layer going in the wok, then tossed in a bunch of garlic. Then the pork. Then season with nam plaa, sugar, and a bunch of white pepper. Stir fry for another minute, and the pork comes out and the sauce gets drizzled over it.

Served with white rice.

gallery_22892_3828_192128.jpg

The verdict was that the curry was too evilly hot (I forgot to mention the extra red chilis) for anyone but me. but the moo wan was judged to be quite repeatable.

I came home from work to find a very-tired wife and a kg of pig belly. 

We had pork belly for dinner last night too. I slow roasted it following (sort of) a recipe from Cook with Jamie by Jamie Oliver. The pictures are horrible, but the meat was delicious and VERY rich.

Yesterday it was time to use up a few more dry aged steaks I picked up from a butcher. This one was a "cowboy" ribeye

gallery_21049_162_109180.jpg

gallery_21049_162_55226.jpg

Plated with Chive Mashed Potatoes, Leeks and Red Wine Demi Glace Sauce

gallery_21049_162_3279.jpg

A big California Zin in the glass.

Oh, that looks great!!!!

quick OT: Kim, you can buy little tiny tripods at Big Lots for 3.99

Back to food