• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Oh my g-d.. You guys are about to hit a million.. Congratulations on all the hard work and wonderful dinners.. How cool is that.. What happens at a million, some Y2K type stuff?

Edited by Daniel (log)

Dinner last night -

baked tilapia over a bed of daikon with a mint mirin sauce, topped with sesame seeds and sea beans - served with beets and sweet pea sprouts.

tonight -

pulled pork w/ chili, plum, grapefruit

daikon, fingerling mash w/ white truffle oil

glazed carrot and curry fennel soup

Edited by fendi_pilot (log)

Gorgeous pizzas!! That post about bubbles cracked me up...where else would you find rhapsodies about pizza bubbles??

Nice scallops Wendy! 65F...wow! It's freezing in New York!

Lunch was some angel hair pasta with bottarga (pressed, preserved tuna roe)

gallery_14010_3559_38250.jpg

Dinner: pan roasted trout with a tangerine/almond beurre blanc sauce.

gallery_14010_3559_149285.jpg

Knock knock ! Can anyone join in ? You guys are all making such great stuff. I'm impressed. And taking good pictures of it, too. I need to practise my photography (yes, all right, and the cooking :rolleyes: ).

A couple of weeks ago I put together, off the cuff, a take on good ol' pork & cabbage when it was feeling cold again. I liked it so much I thought I'd do it again. Mostly I hate doing things the second time, it's always when they turn out worst, but I was quite happy this time.

So, Pot roast pork and cabbage with wine -

gallery_51808_4314_36161.jpg

gallery_51808_4314_14123.jpg

gallery_51808_4314_197013.jpg

My guests generously brought along a strawberry custard tart from Takashimaya, to which my photo doesn't do justice -

gallery_51808_4314_81961.jpg

- and I tried to fob off some of my home-made (Scottish) tablet on them -

gallery_51808_4314_85372.jpg

- to accompany the coffee.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Oh my g-d.. You guys are about to hit a million.. Congratulations on all the hard work and wonderful dinners.. How cool is that.. What happens at a million, some Y2K type stuff?

Daniel, where have you been hiding???

Daniel's generous and inspirational participation in this thread and others is missed!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Blether: You're not fobbing anyone off with that, it looks like textbook fudge to me, I'll bet the texture is awesome.

Tonight I tried again with some extremely temperamental Linguini I bought last weekend. It caught me completely off guard the first time, since even though it is INCREDIBLY delicate, it's dried pasta, so I thought it would take a a minute. It took literally 10 seconds. :blink:

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I baked sourdough bread yesterday, and made a couple of smaller baguettes so I could make french dip sandwiches using the leftover prime rib from the night before.  Served homemade warm potato chips on the side.

gallery_27944_2966_403074.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_41454.jpg

That has to be the best-looking sandwich I have seen in a long time. The bread and chips look fabulous too. Great job.

I can't remember who made them, but someone made some amazing looking cinnamon rolls a while back. Whoever you are, could you share the recipe? PM me if your prefer. I cannot get them out of my head. Thanks in advance.

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Word word.. The dinner thread hit a million?? I think thats pretty amazing. Thats a million times people have shared the things they made for their family and the special people and times in their lives.. Such great memories we have saved forever.

Knock knock !  Can anyone join in ?  You guys are all making such great stuff.  I'm impressed.  And taking good pictures of it, too.  I need to practise my photography (yes, all right, and the cooking  :rolleyes: ).

A couple of weeks ago I put together, off the cuff, a take on good ol' pork & cabbage when it was feeling cold again.  I liked it so much I thought I'd do it again.  Mostly I hate doing things the second time, it's always when they turn out worst, but I was quite happy this time.

So, Pot roast pork and cabbage with wine -

gallery_51808_4314_36161.jpg

gallery_51808_4314_14123.jpg

gallery_51808_4314_197013.jpg

- to accompany the coffee.

This looks amazing Blether! Can you generously share/PM the recipe? I got a pork slab waiting to be roasted in my freezer now.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I can't remember who made them, but someone made some amazing looking cinnamon rolls a while back. Whoever you are, could you share the recipe? PM me if your prefer. I cannot get them out of my head. Thanks in advance.

They were probably Ann's. Mine weren't that spectacular.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Word word.. The dinner thread hit a million?? I think thats pretty amazing. Thats a million times people have shared the things they made for their family and the special people and times in their lives..  Such great memories we have saved forever.

Actually, that's a million views, not posts. Still impressive though

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

PLaying catch-up with food from weekend and the week:

mmmmm...skillet potatoes, quick, easy and hot!

gallery_40237_4099_7635.jpg

A riff on Alton Brown's Shrimp Scampi...the tomatoes add a great fresh touch

gallery_40237_4099_31855.jpg

buckwheat stir-fry with pineapple

gallery_40237_4099_58975.jpg

spinach, plantain mash, and green garbanzos with olive oil, sea salt and pepper

gallery_40237_4099_30366.jpg

Yet another Alton Brown dish...shallots, garlic and chicken in olive oil - really easy and makes the chicken sooooo tender

gallery_40237_4099_112952.jpg

spinach and quinoa made with tomato paste, boullion cubes and pickled jalapenos - much better than it sounds

gallery_40237_4099_102836.jpg

spinach, plantain mash, and green garbanzos with olive oil, sea salt and pepper

gallery_40237_4099_30366.jpg

Green garbanzos! I've never seen these before. They're so pretty...I thought they were large peas till I read your description. Are they fresh garbanzos? or a green variety? Where do you purchase such things? Inquiring minds want to know, please...

Thanks!

Got a great looking Ribeye and Hanger from Wells, based on the results of a recent steak tasting.

gallery_21049_162_138821.jpg

Decided to make the hanger today, with some kicked up McDonald's fries.

After a quick sear

gallery_21049_162_605526.jpg

The Onglet with McDonald's fries on the left tossed in garlic salt and on the right tossed in a nori based sushi rice topping - it sounds odd, but tastes great.

gallery_21049_162_325647.jpg

Daniel: Where ya been, man?

Blether: Welcome to Dinner! I look forward to seeing more of your cooking.

Marlene: You have been busy in the kitchen. Beautiful biscuits!

We made shrimp two ways: Millie Chan’s chili shrimp (left); and shrimp with garlic sauce (right); both from Breath of a Wok. Chili bean sauce, ginger, chilies, and scallions gave the chile shrimp a particularly nice flavor. Mrs. C. made basmati rice and roasted asparagus with lime juice.

Edited 'cuz sometimes I don't talk good.

gallery_42956_2536_37990.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

We made shrimp two ways: Millie Chan’s chili shrimp (left); and shrimp with garlic sauce (right); both from Breath of a Wok. Chili bean sauce, ginger, chilies, and scallions gave the chile shrimp a particularly nice flavor. Mrs. C. made basmati rice and roasted asparagus with lime juice.

Bruce, more about the differences between the two recipes, please! Seems to me I need to dig that book out from under the bed (a nightmare of cookbooks).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Daniel - I'm glad to see you, too! You and your lovely meals have been missed!

Judith - the trout is gorgeous! Drooling, here!

Marlene - thank you for the 1 millions clarification. I read it as posts and thought my computer was broken :wacko: ! (And those biscuits :wub: )

Gruzia - beautiful shrimp! I love that recipe and like the idea of adding tomatoes!

Susan - I am finally convinced. I am going to make potstickers as a family project when my 'baby' comes home from college this spring! I figure the three of us can make a few billion. They are just inspiring! Also, I think I said this to someone before, but no one in my house eats liver, so I want to have dinner at your house!!

Dinner tonight was Doddie's Ham and 'Crab' Salad on a croissant (and pretzels & carrots just to fill up the empty space). Thanks for the recipe, Doddie - even Mr. Kim liked it and he's not a 'Krab' fan!:

gallery_34972_3580_116629.jpg

Bruce, more about the differences between the two recipes, please!  Seems to me I need to dig that book out from under the bed (a nightmare of cookbooks).

Susan: Each shrimp dish spent about four minutes in the wok. I made the shrimp with garlic sauce for younger son – it had no heat, but the chicken broth, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, garlic, ginger, and scallions gave it a pleasant flavor. The sauce for the chile shrimp had a nice mix of hot, salty, and aromatic, with a meaty fullness from the chile bean sauce (toban djan) and just enough sugar to round out the flavor. You can probably guess which one I liked best. :biggrin:

Quote from Mrs. C while “deveining”: “Boy, some of these shrimp are really full of sh*t.” :laugh:

By the way, your potstickers are things of beauty. :wub:

Edit: verb-noun agreement. Yeesh!

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

The Onglet with McDonald's fries on the left tossed in garlic salt and on the right tossed in a nori based sushi rice topping - it sounds odd, but tastes great.

gallery_21049_162_325647.jpg

yum!!! percyn that looks right up my ally! I don't even think I can get hanger/onglet here- did you just ask your butcher for the cut or what????

tonight we made chefbradley's potato chedder soup- it's a winner!!!

414301600_14cf732412.jpg

gin gin mules before and some cotes du rhone in the glass with

homemade banana icecream for dessert!