• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Oh Marlene,  I'm imagining a slice of your cake for breakfast. 

I have to tell you though, I'm a little disappointed that you didn't post a picture of the roast after it was carved.  Your prime rib is always perfectly cooked. 

Ann

I forgot! I will post one though.

Edited to add, here you go. In my altered state yesterday, I didn't realize the roast was still frozen in the middle. So while it was still nice and rare to med rare, the edges got more of that grey band than I usually get. I also managed to smother mine in gravy before I got pictures. :biggrin:

gallery_6080_205_85070.jpg

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, that cake is to die for.....I so want a piece right now, as well as the rest of your meal.

Yesterday, we got the cooking bug. I started making ravioli's by scratch. They have a filling of hot and mild Italian sausage that is homemade by the Nugget Markets, a local market chain, which in my opinion is the BEST sausage. There is also spinach and asiago cheese, but not enough in the final opinion. We have a ton of filling left, so I may alter it and make some more today. I am pretty proud of my pasta dough this time around, I usually don't keep the patience needed to knead (kinda funny) and this time I did, so now I know that is what I need to do. The sheets came out perfect in the roller, and tasted very tender and good.

Here they are after they have been filled and cut:

ravfilling.jpg

ravfilled.jpg

Here is the final product. The sauce is just tomato sauce that we canned last summer, with onions, garlic, tomato paste and some wine. Simmered for about two hours and then tossed in some mushrooms. Very bright and clean tasting if that makes any sense.

plated.jpg

Like Marlene, I think that we'll be eating a lot of bread, since I got my BF the Bread Bakers Apprentice for his birthday last week. Last night, he made two batches of Pate Fermentee; one for last night and one for tonight, to go with his boeuf bourguignon that's been cooking most of the day yesterday. The taste of this bread was outstanding, compared to his past attempts. He was disappointed with the outside texture, claiming that it was too hard. I thought it was good, so if anyone has any input that would be great. I'll let you know how tonight's batch goes, since we did the same day version yesterday and we'll have the overnight in the fridge version today.

bread.jpg

Edited by lucylou95816 (log)

Marlene: tell me more about the tomatoes spiked with vodka. That sounds like a very fun appetizer.

Percyn: what is Swedish Kaviar? And what kind of polenta did you use? The photo makes it sort of look like tapioca. Very interesting flavor combinations!

Last night began with watching the Lunar Eclipse....followed by a glass of wine with neighbors, and a warm fire...then lamb shoulder, garlic pureed potatoes and a big green salad. :rolleyes:

marleen the brioche looks awesome!

we hosted a cocktail party last night for about 30 - no pictures but passed hors d'oeuvres were:

wild mushroom crostini

deviled quail eggs

cervelle des canuts

gougres

proscuitto wrapped prawns

herbed and spiced goat cheese balls

duck confit salad tartlettes

mini lamb meatballs with yogurt dill sauce

Marlene: tell me more about the tomatoes spiked with vodka. That sounds like a very fun appetizer.

It is a fun appetizer as long as you don't mind peeling a bunch of little tomatoes. :biggrin:

The tomatoes are marinated in a mixture of vodka, lemon zest a little superfine sugar and some white wine vinegar. You can peel the tomatoes and make the marinade ahead of time, just keep them in the fridge and combine them about an hour before you want to serve. Then drain, mix kosher salt and fresh ground pepper together to dip the tomatoes in.

They were great. A little zing from the vinegar and a citrus note from the lemon, made my guests and I immediately think "summer".

Marlene

I had a friend over for dinner last night. He had been begging me to teach him how to shuck oysters so I bought some kumamotos. I forgot shallots so I ended up making a cocktail sauce with some ketchup and fresh horseradish.

410695452_8b050bc16a.jpg

Our main was some pasta (forgot the name of the shape) with broccolini, fennel sausage, and some roasted tomatoes in oil. Really yummy. The sausage was just made that day by a local store and there were tasty fennel seeds in every bite.

410695373_413520c028_o.jpg

I have some of that NY Times bread rising for tomorrow. Hope it turns out. I am a menace when it comes to baking and pastry.

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Yesterday we visited friends for fondue. I made baklava for dessert, but only four pieces survived the evening – elder son ate about seven pieces by himself. No pictures, unfortunately.

Tonight we made spicy fish curry with coconut milk (pa sousi haeng), sauteed bay scallops with garlic and parsley, stir-fried Napa cabbage, and jasmine rice. More about the fish curry in Thai cooking at home (click),

gallery_42956_2536_31762.jpg

He was disappointed with the outside texture, claiming that it was too hard.  I thought it was good, so if anyone has any input that would be great.  I'll let you know how tonight's batch goes, since we did the same day version yesterday and we'll have the overnight in the fridge version today.

you might get better response in the baking and pastry forum, but it looks to me like you might not have used any or enough steam in the initial stage of baking. hard to do with an oven that doesn't have a steam generator/injector, but doable if you're determined.

still, looks like your bf is doing a good job playing around with bread and your dinner looks great!

He was disappointed with the outside texture, claiming that it was too hard.  I thought it was good, so if anyone has any input that would be great.  I'll let you know how tonight's batch goes, since we did the same day version yesterday and we'll have the overnight in the fridge version today.

you might get better response in the baking and pastry forum, but it looks to me like you might not have used any or enough steam in the initial stage of baking. hard to do with an oven that doesn't have a steam generator/injector, but doable if you're determined.

still, looks like your bf is doing a good job playing around with bread and your dinner looks great!

Thanks for the hint on the steam, he did use steam, spraying water into the sides of the oven, and of course, I am freaking out, thinking that it will ruin the oven. I'll check out the other forum and let him know to steam away. Thanks!

Ann T I want that dinner!!!

tonight in a fitful craving of baked gratins but still without a working oven I cobbled together the Les Halles gratin dauphinoise- i simmered it all stovetop and then finished it under the broiler, pork chops with mustard sour cream sauce and a nice green salad. chardonnay in the glass- no cocktails tonight - too many at last nights party :wacko:

410953164_e247e1c2a1.jpg

Thanks Ann! Your roast beef dinner is making my mouth water. Did you use a popover pan for those? I am totally making that this week.

Tonight's dinner was a fridge clean-out special. I made some breaded veal cutlets with a leftover baguette and topped with an arugula salad that I dressed with lemon and olive oil. Topped with a little parm. The BF sauteed some baby carrots and turnips with butter, some blanching liquid, and herbs.

410967313_7091d9bd62.jpg

We wanted something sweet after dinner, so we took some leftover strudel filling and sauteed with a bit of butter and honey and served over some vanilla ice cream.

410967359_82040d0dfb.jpg

Perfect as usual, Ann.

Wendy, I love pork chops with mustard cream!

tonight, I'm going to try Octaveman's Mongolian beef!

Marlene

It is a fun appetizer as long as you don't mind peeling a bunch of little tomatoes. :biggrin:

The tomatoes are marinated in a mixture of vodka, lemon zest a little superfine sugar and some white wine vinegar. You can peel the tomatoes and make the marinade ahead of time, just keep them in the fridge and combine them about an hour before you want to serve. Then drain, mix kosher salt and fresh ground pepper together to dip the tomatoes in.

They were great. A little zing from the vinegar and a citrus note from the lemon, made my guests and I immediately think "summer".

Thanks Marlene! I don't mind the peeling part after canning a ridiculous amount of them last summer, I can now say that I can peel them with my eyes closed while standing on my head! :laugh::laugh: Sounds like a yummy summer appetizer.

Wendy, seems we were in snyc.  Last night we had some thin pork chops with cream and mustard, and a touch of cognac.  Comfort food..served along with some creamy cauliflower and sauted spinach.

Nice cocktail party by the way!

mmmm...cognac!!! will try that in my sauce next time!

I haven't posted on this thread for a while - no excuses just didn't make the time. But last evening I gave my eighth dinner party of the year - seven people total.

Amuse:

Carrot Shooters

Peas & Carrots (two purees swiled and baked in mini square porcelain containers)

Madarin Orange and Smoked Salmon Mousse (on a spoon)

Scallops with Cucumber and Beet Horseradish

Artichoke Toasts

Poached Quail Eggs over Sherry Infused Wild Mushrooms

Creamy Grits with White Shrimp

Soups (served on a serve on mini cups with a holder):

Frico Wafer (placed over the top)

Cream of Roasted Red Bell Pepper

Puree of Celery Soup

Cream of Broccoli

Entree:

Ligonberry Stuffed Meatballs (made with beef, pork, veal)

Truffled Smashed Red Potatoes

Spaghetti Squash with Lemon & Capers

Desserts:

Lemon, Brown Sugar Challah Bread Pudding

Oreo Truffles

Cheese Plate

Wines:

Domain Mumm Grand Reserve - 1999

Domain Mumm Demi-Sec - NV

Rodney Strong Carignane - 2000

Windsor Gewurztraminer - 2004

Simi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - 2001

William Hill Cabernet Sauvignon Gold - 1985

The evening's biggest hits were the Carrot Shooters, Peas & Carrots, Puree of Celery Soup, Ligonberry Meatballs, Spaghetti Squash and the Oreo Truffles.

Everyone raved about the Wm. Hill.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Just that an 8 inch pan is big enough. This is an incredibly easy cake to make. Just make it the day before so it has time to chill properly.

Marlene

rich that is the most number of amuses I've ever seen!!! all sounds great!

...and it's more difficult and time consuming to prepare the small quantities necessary. - but it's fun.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!