• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Oh, dear.  I can't seem to move beyond this.  Scallops. Bacon. Pizza.  Garlic cream sauce.  I really, really want to eat this soon. 

Any chance of a recipe, Jason??

Well, as I mentioned, I haven't really perfected the sauce yet. It tastes good, but is too thin. If you want to try it, though, feel free:

Sauce:

5 cloves garlic (minced)

1 shallot (minced)

1/2 C dry white wine

1 1/2 C heavy cream

Ground black pepper to taste

Simmer garllic and shallot in wine, until reduced by 1/2.

Add cream and black pepper, cook until thickened. Let cool.

I used medium sized sea scallops. Salt, paprika, and a little black pepper. Sear for about a minute on each side in olive oil with a little butter. After searing, cut each in half so that you have two pieces - seared on one side, rare on the other.

For the bacon, I used hickory smoked, cured, thick cut. Make sure it is cured bacon, because you really want the saltiness. Brown in a pan, but don't overcook... keep it a bit tender. Let cool, and slice into roughly 1/2" pieces.

Use whatever crust you like. Do not oversauce. Put the scallops down, seared side up and then sprinkle on the bacon. Bake until crust is browned.

Hope that helps. My next go-around, I plan to use a bechamel-based sauce, in hopes that I can get it thicker. I'll be sure to post those results when I get to it.

__Jason

i did a filled chicken breast earlier this week. since it was just for me, and the breast was generous from a large chicken, i made four portions so i have three more for later.

one whole breast skinned, de-boned, quartered and gently pounded with side of knife to 1/2 inch thick. two fresh hot italian sausages, slipped from casings and half of each pressed on breast portions to cover de-boned side. saute smooth side of breast down in evoo until golden, then turn carefully and let the sausage filling set a few minutes. pour simple crushed plum tomato/balsamic vinegar/red and black pepper/basil/oregano sauce over all and cook just under simmer for about 30-35 minutes.

sliced one breast portion, fanned, with a little sauce over it and served with angel hair tossed with onion/garlic/mushrooms/spinach in evoo/balsamic reduction, a little parm reg grated on pasta. and a slice of sourdough boule i baked that afternoon.

gallery_12550_103_48399.jpg

gallery_12550_103_35857.jpg

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Last night's nights dinner of schnitzel, braised red cabbage, potatoes & salad:

gallery_23864_4213_83321.jpg

Forest Schnitzel is a favourite. Yours looks so good. Great sides.

Lovebenton Beautiful loaf of sourdough.

Dinner tonight was inspired by Marlene. Peppercorn Steak with Homemade French fries. Been craving Peppercorn steak all week.

gallery_27944_2966_217902.jpg

This one's for you Bruce, and Ann, the bread's for you :biggrin:

My husband made a stir fry tonight. Served with basmati rice and the dinner rolls I made for the first time ever from Breadmaker's Apprentice

gallery_6080_205_6797.jpg

gallery_6080_205_92030.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks Ann. It was my first time ever making any kind of bread not in a bread maker!

Marlene

This one's for you Bruce, and Ann, the bread's for you :biggrin:

Marlene: Wow, I’m honored! Hubby did a fine job on the stir-fry. Do I get a sample or anything? :biggrin:

Pressed for time this evening, we made a simple Vietnamese rice soup with chicken (chao ga). More here (click).

gallery_42956_2536_4189.jpg

Ann T - gorgeous fries! And I wish that I could take such pretty close ups. When I try to do that my pictures just turn out wierd looking.

Marlene - I have made lots of bread and I would have been so proud if I'd made those rolls! You can almost taste how good they are! I am checking that book out of the library again soon! Which recipe is it?

Tonight was burritos, Spanish Orzo (I can't digest rice :sad: ) and black beans:

gallery_34972_3580_923706.jpg

gallery_26110_4104_360551.jpg

On the left of the platter are egg based shrimp and green onion cakes from Into the Vietamese Kitchen and on the right are wheat based Peasant Pancakes from a very old book The Chinese People's Cookbook by Mai Leung.

Any chance of posting the recipe for the peasant pancakes? I'm trying to solve a chinese pancake mystery and this might be close...:)

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Thanks everyone! I've been bread challenged for years, so I was pretty happy with these. Kim, the basic recipe is on page 266 and I used Variation 2 on page 268 which is basically substituting buttermilk for the water, and omitting the dried milk. I followed the directions for shaping on page 82. I actually divided the dough and made one loaf and 9 dinner rolls.

Bruce, if I could figure a way to get it over the border, I'd have sent some to you! :biggrin:

And actually, I guess I should say it's my second time making bread since I did make Keller's brioche a couple of weeks ago. But I've never made rolls before!

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Well, as I mentioned, I haven't really perfected the sauce yet. It tastes good, but is too thin.

What if you added some grated parmesan to the sauce to try and thicken it up?

That pizza looks amazing!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

....Just when I thought I had seen it all....

Green apple risotto!?  This isnt some april fools joke come early is it???

:)

Ah! I just noticed the link I 'placed' in my original post was not ...there. Sorry. Check it out now and follow the link to the appropriate thread for more info. And no this risotto is no joke :smile:.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sausage and risotto, major yum, FM. I have been intrigued by the green apple risotto in the past, great to see it in living color.

Last evening, burgers made from a chuck roast that had been sent 2x through the old KA grinder along with a supplemental fist-sized piece of solid suet the counter guy was nice enough to give me when I asked, the fat not the roast. Large amount of lightly caramelized onions and gorgonzola on top; onion rolls. Virtuous cucumber spears with crunchy salt on the side. Remainder of a 2003 Duckhorn cab.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I'm home for the weekend, so, since my Dad just bought a brand new, epically wide and fancy TV, I played to his love of fish and made us both Haddock fillets with wholegrain mustard and parsley, wrapped in streaky bacon.

It was pretty good and I don't even really like fish. I can only just stomach Haddock and Tuna. The bacon was a Godsend however, as it means it is virtually impossible to end up with dry fish!

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar