• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

It's my husband's birthday tomorrow and in the tradition of this household, we try to stretch out the celebrations as much as possible. So yesterday was a simple familydinner, not very glamorous but all the food items were requested by my husband so what can you do  :wink:

started with zucchini pancakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche

gallery_21505_2929_151998.jpg

Lemon & thyme meatballs in onion gravy. We had these over polenta, with brussel sprouts. I also made this mushroom pasta gratin because I suspected that our parents would not like polenta (I was right).

gallery_21505_2929_208159.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_162816.jpg

dessert was warm pineapple upside down cake with caramel icecream.

gallery_21505_2929_135188.jpg

Chufi -- I knew that you would not let us down --beautiful food.

Your husband must be a very fortunate man.

Regards from Texas,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

This is my first food post (second post ever on this forum). I made a lamb stew yesterday with the only twist being that I added pearl onions near the end and included carrots. The toast points in the picture are seeded rye bread toasted brushed with clarified butter. If anyone wants the recipe let me know.

gallery_52109_4252_353142.jpg

Forest

Potato cheddar bacon soup is one of my favorites but I am sure inquiring minds will want to know where did you find cheddar cheese? :smile:

tracey

Yes...it's a bit difficult to find it here. I get it at Monoprix or I have people bring it to me when they come from the states or UK. The one I get at the Monoprix isn't the best, so I think next time I try the soup I might experiment with something different that I can get more easily and better here!

logicalmind: lambstew - yum! (I'm a big fan of stew!)

Chef Bradley & Jmahl: After your pics, I'm definitely going to make meatballs sometime this week!!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Chufi: your entire dinner looks yummy, but I'm really liking the look of the zucchini pancakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche. I've had a recipe for broccoli pancakes sitting in my "to try" stack for awhile, but just wasn't sure what I was going to do with them....until now! :smile:

Did you do anything particular or just top yours with salmon and creme fraiche? Did you serve chilled or at room temp? Might be nice to mix a little citrus or something in with the creme fraiche....what do you think?

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

percyn you are the king of steak! do you like the strip or the ribeye better?

Wendy, I liked the ribeye better because of the better marbeling. The texture was almost as tender as duck breast.

Percy, your meal looks wonderful.  But sheesh! you forgot to add the most important detail: where did your steaks come from?  :wink:

Andrew, didn't have any lobels in the freezer, so these were from Wegmans (still waiting for my other steaks) :wink:

Chufi:  your entire dinner looks yummy, but I'm really liking the look of the zucchini pancakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche.  I've had a recipe for broccoli pancakes sitting in my "to try" stack for awhile, but just wasn't sure what I was going to do with them....until now!  :smile:

Did you do anything particular or just top yours with salmon and creme fraiche?  Did you serve chilled or at room temp?  Might be nice to mix a little citrus or something in with the creme fraiche....what do you think?

thanks Forest! The pancakes came fresh out of the frying pan, but by the time I had fried them all, they were all lukewarm and not hot anymore.

Yes, you could certainly do something with the creme fraiche - add some lemon, or herbs maybe (I had dill in the pancakes, but tarragon would be nice as well).

tonight we started with Tarleton's Resurrection

392671182_d2272eb775.jpg

What are the ingredients in that cocktail?

See my post here about it. I currently have no idea where I got the recipe, but it's really good. The two different cherry liqueurs play off of each other nicely.

And see my post here taking credit. I'm so pleased that someone has made my cocktail and actually likes it!

Just french onion soup and crusty bread tonight.

gallery_6080_205_6370.jpg

I make and use an onion confit which gives the broth a very dark look and is incredibly rich.

gallery_6080_205_1426.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene: That looks incredible!

For dinner tonight, Mrs. C roasted pork loin stuffed with dried apricots and coated with a mustard-panko-herb mixture. The pork loin was very tender and flavorful. She also baked potatoes (no picture). I made the side dishes: Napa cabbage soup with dried shrimp, and Sichuan dry-fried green beans. The boys love this soup – six cups of broth and nearly a whole head of Napa cabbage disappeared. The beans were a bit salty, but tasted great in the soup. :rolleyes:

gallery_42956_2536_10963.jpg

For dessert, Mrs. C served vanilla ice cream topped with baked pineapples and a brown sugar, rum, vanilla, and pineapple juice syrup.

gallery_42956_2536_41896.jpg

Edited to fix picture.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Thanks Bruce, but everytime I see one of your dinner posts I think, "I'd like to be able to cook like that!"

Marlene

Thanks Bruce, but everytime I see one of your dinner posts I think, "I'd like to be able to cook like that!"

I think the same thing, and I'm sure many others do as well. And we know it's not by lack of skill or desire that we aren't able to cook like that - not all of us have the equipment! I would love a proper burner for my wok, and a ventilation system to go with it.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

:biggrin: I think it's because I cook mostly "north american", fairly predicable. Very little asian, thai etc. For the first time in 18 months I seem to have some time on my hands now though, so maybe it would be a good time to explore some different ways of cooking!

Marlene

Chufi: your entire dinner looks yummy, but I'm really liking the look of the zucchini pancakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche. I've had a recipe for broccoli pancakes sitting in my "to try" stack for awhile, but just wasn't sure what I was going to do with them....until now! :smile:

Did you do anything particular or just top yours with salmon and creme fraiche? Did you serve chilled or at room temp? Might be nice to mix a little citrus or something in with the creme fraiche....what do you think?

I often serve thick stews over zucchini pancakes/zucchini fritters. I find they work quite well as a base for something highly flavored. (Then again, I'd eat them plain. I love them!)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Last night's supper was something homey and down-right comforting.

Beef with Mushroom stew

gallery_48583_4079_400026.jpg

Dessert was bananana muffins.

With dark choco chips...

gallery_48583_4079_193456.jpg

And without! :biggrin: (for hubby)

gallery_48583_4079_29491.jpg

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

lucylou Your steakhouse meal looks delicious, from start to finish.

Wendy Thanks for linking to the recipe. Looks sooo good.

Marlene I would love a bowl of your French Onion Soup. The broth looks so dark and rich.

I'm another fan of Bruce. I put a request in at the library today for the Into the Vietnamese Kitchen cookbook.

Moe wanted Chicken Souvlaki again. Along with rice and salad we also had Greek Roasted potatoes and a tzatziki sauce.

gallery_27944_2966_426416.jpg

Today was a baking day. Four Sourdough Ciabatta and three loaves of sourdough French.

gallery_27944_2966_32947.jpg

I'm another fan of Bruce.  I put a request in at the library today for the Into the Vietnamese Kitchen cookbook.
Ann_T: Thank you! If you put it that way, I guess I am a fan of Ann. :smile: I hope you enjoy Into the Vietnamese Kitchen.
Moe wanted Chicken Souvlaki again.  Along with rice and salad we also had Greek Roasted potatoes and a tzatziki sauce.

I certainly don’t blame Moe for requesting chicken souvlaki again – it looks absolutely scrumptious, all crisped and spice-flecked (and the perfectly browned, hole-y sourdough too, of course).

Sunday dinner: roasted baby rutabagas, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts with pan-cooked kobe culotte. Creme fraiche, horseradish, and chive sauce. (the bf made this--I can only take credit for buying the products and making the sauce):

396943945_f64ed28689.jpg

Last night: Shrimp and grits with roasted mushrooms (all my doing):

396943902_a465086377.jpg

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

Marlene – that is some beautiful Onion Soup!

Bruce – the baked pineapple looks divine! How many points is THAT?? :raz:

Ann T – as usual, your bread is gorgeous! A question, though. When you are making that much bread, are you making it for others or are you freezing/saving somehow?

Dinner tonight was Tomato Canapés & Rioja:

gallery_34972_3580_707516.jpg

Lumas’ “Fake Fried Chicken”, Broccoli, Garlic Smashed Red Potatoes & Cornbread:

gallery_34972_3580_582111.jpg

gallery_34972_3580_191319.jpg

We are still using the Valentine's dishes, as you can see!