• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Shaya - love the raviolis!

Shoutsandmurmurs - beautiful salad photo!

We had a belated Valentine's dinner ... Butternut squash + apple soup, Seared scallops on spinach with a Calvados cream sauce, and Goat cheese + thyme mashed potatoes.

393463826_6efab77206_m.jpg

Edited by trufflelover (log)

beautiful food everyone. I don't post much here, but here goes...

A belated valentine's inner i made tonight.

Started with a honey roasted parsnip soup, hot spring egg, truffle salt:

gallery_15167_2548_14508.jpg

Followed by pan seared snapper, duck fat roasted potatoes, beet sauce

gallery_15167_2548_35923.jpg

Then cocoa crusted lamb loin cuit sous vide, garmon farms braised kale, celeriac puree

gallery_15167_2548_37741.jpg

Dessert was a hazelnut chocolate fallen cake with strawberry sauce. The sauce is hiding.

gallery_15167_2548_47314.jpg

gallery_15167_2548_46657.jpg

Shaya how wonderful to see your dinners again! That moussaka is gorgeous. And I love the look on your son's face as he's reaching for the avocado.

Shalmanese I really like that bananabread.

Shoutsandmurmurs welcome to the dinner thread, wonderful dinner!

Sazji those beans are bean-perfection.

jmolimari those are some very sexy chocolatecakes :smile:

It's my husband's birthday tomorrow and in the tradition of this household, we try to stretch out the celebrations as much as possible. So yesterday was a simple familydinner, not very glamorous but all the food items were requested by my husband so what can you do :wink:

started with zucchini pancakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche

gallery_21505_2929_151998.jpg

Lemon & thyme meatballs in onion gravy. We had these over polenta, with brussel sprouts. I also made this mushroom pasta gratin because I suspected that our parents would not like polenta (I was right).

gallery_21505_2929_208159.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_162816.jpg

dessert was warm pineapple upside down cake with caramel icecream.

gallery_21505_2929_135188.jpg

Doddie - I like the idea of the crab and ham salad!  I make a country ham and crab dish and I think the two flavors are perfect together.  Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Kim

Kim, I just take a package of ham (about a cup and a half) and a package of fake crab sticks and make my own dressing. I thinly slice the ham into double finger-widths while the crab sticks are cut diagonally in 2 inch pieces. Add some chopped celery and minced onion and drizzle with dressing (whisk 2 tbsp low-fat mayo, 2 tbsp mustard + 1 tbsp pickle juice [preferably pepperoncini peppers juice]) and salt & pepper. Homemade ham and crab stick salad! Great cold and perfect as a midnight snack when you get hungry reading eGullet posts.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Over the years we have been disappointed by dining out on Valentine's day, even at restaurants that we usually enjoy. So, we decided to make dinner at home and go out a few days before or after.

So on this Valentine's day we made...

Dry Aged Prime Steak with Truffled Mushroom and Lobster Risotto

394122070_24e0869734_o.jpg

We had a NY strip (plated above) and a Ribeye (shown below)

394122031_62b02d24e2_o.jpg

394122120_a8b16e23ce_o.jpg

Paired the steaks with a decent but not great Bordeaux

394121998_5de24a2808_o.jpg

We also made Katie's take on a Waldorf salad...fennel, pears and cashews

394121942_450b419880_o.jpg

For dessert we had some artisanal chocolates from Lacroix.

hello all...

As usual, I'm awed by the scrumptious dinners everyone made!

trufflelover: that whole plate, food, setting, all looks amazing!

jmolinari: your dessert looks very yummy!

and, percyn: your entire dinner is making my mouth water (and I just finished eating!)

Since it's Sunday I always make stew or soup, but I decided to switch my usual beef stew for Chef Bradley's recipe for Creamy Cheddar and Potato Soup with Smoked Bacon with some tasty homemade croutons.

i have to say, the picture doesn't do the taste justice! (and that's a testament to the recipe, not my cooking! :smile: )

gallery_23864_4213_31894.jpg

And, the cheesy goodness that went inside:

gallery_23864_4213_91763.jpg

oh, cheese...(incidently, I exchanged some of the chedder for bleu due to an over abundance of non-chedder in my fridge. 1/3 of the amount of one of the chedders portions per Chef Bradley's recommendation and it was still good!)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Katie probably has the real recipe and I welcome her to comment here or post it on recipegullet.

My version was:

2 bulbs medium fennel - sliced

2 pears (bartlett or asian) - diced

1/2 cup salad dressing or mixture of mayo and ranch in my case.

1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

4 oz toasted cashew

Stir it all together and add in a few of the fennel leaves(?) if you like.

Wow, I'm drooling over my keyboard looking at all the wonderful dinners.

Sazji I keep coming back to look at your gorgeous bean dish. I love Greek food and my husband loves beans. I will definitely be making this.

gallery_38081_3012_8539.jpg

jmolinari ooh perfectly cooked lamb.

Klary Thyme and Lemon Meatballs. Yum! I'm imagining them served with mashed potatoes.

I roasted a pre-salted turkey breast for dinner last night and served it with traditional sides. Stuffing was cooked like a German bread dumpling using a loaf of fresh baked French bread.

gallery_27944_2966_172937.jpg

hello all...

As usual, I'm awed by the scrumptious dinners everyone made!

trufflelover:  that whole plate, food, setting, all looks amazing! 

jmolinari:  your dessert looks very yummy!

and, percyn:  your entire dinner is making my mouth water (and I just finished eating!)

Since it's Sunday I always make stew or soup, but I decided to switch my usual beef stew for Chef Bradley's recipe for Creamy Cheddar and Potato Soup with Smoked Bacon with some tasty homemade croutons.

i have to say, the picture doesn't do the taste justice! (and that's a testament to the recipe, not my cooking!  :smile: )

oh, cheese...(incidently, I exchanged some of the chedder for bleu due to an over abundance of non-chedder in my fridge.  1/3 of the amount of one of the chedders portions per Chef Bradley's recommendation and it was still good!)

Glad to see you were able to enjoy the soup. We make so much soup here, I really should post most recipes, lol.

Beautiful!! Beautiful!! Beautiful!!

Amazing food.

Shoutsandmurmurs: nice photos!! Anyone who posts about pomegranates is a friend indeed!! :biggrin::biggrin: They are gone, gone, gone until next year.... :sad:

Shaya's back! Woo-hoo!! Those gorgeous cocktails are just beautiful. You and Ms. Foodie are reviving the cocktail hour....I'm a big fan of the aperitivo hour.

Chufi: love the idea of the zucchini pancake with salmon. Excellent.

Still in the mountains, been reduced to making spaghetti bologenese with some weird ass ground meat. Came in a plastic wrap tube. I actually took a picture of it, but its just too gross to post. If this is eating local..... blech!

tonight we started with Tarleton's Resurrection

392671182_d2272eb775.jpg

What are the ingredients in that cocktail?

See my post here about it. I currently have no idea where I got the recipe, but it's really good. The two different cherry liqueurs play off of each other nicely.

Recipe with my notes:

Tarleton's Resurrection

4 parts gin [1-1/2 oz. Tanqueray]

2 parts fresh lemon juice [3/4 oz., strained]

2 parts Cherry Heering [3/4 oz. -- Cherry Marnier is probably an acceptable substitute, but any sort of kirsch is not!]

1 part maraschino liqueur [scant 1-1/2 tsp. Maraska; Luxardo would be equally good; avoid Stock]

appropriately generous dashes Regan's orange bitters [two large dashes]

Shake with ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass

Source: unknown at this time

-Dayne aka TallDrinkOfWater

###

"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks

chufi that dinner looks awesome! I love those zuchini cakes- will be stealing that!

forest- now I'm going to have to make that soup!! It looks sooooo awesome!

percyn you are the king of steak! do you like the strip or the ribeye better?

we were very lucky to be part of seasonal cook together dinner party last night of about 20. Our contributions were the appetizer and the soup

I made ricotta and spread it on crostini topped with watercress, radish and pepper

394283990_f79b96ee80.jpg

Dayne made a beautiful soup- base of potato leek from Bouchon and blended sorrel in at the last minute. garnished with sorrel chiffonade, creme fraiche, evoo and pepper

394300266_d25f6094e6.jpg

sorry for the blurry picture, it was gorgeous soup though!!!

Had some friends over for dinner last night. We started with a warm buttered hummus. Here it is ready for the oven.

gallery_26110_4104_766510.jpg

And after baking, garnisher with tomato, olives and green onions.

gallery_26110_4104_981451.jpg

We also had a nice salad.

gallery_26110_4104_342192.jpg

The main course was braised lamb, which tasted good, but isn't pretty.

And a killer flourless chocolate for dessert.

gallery_26110_4104_751193.jpg

Here are some of the highlights from our Steakhouse themed dinner club dinner last night. We had crab cakes:

DSCN2147.jpg

Plated (the plate is glass, it looks like its plated on the counter) I made these.

DSCN2175.jpg

Chopped Salad

DSCN2182.jpg

French Onion Soup

DSCN2184.jpg

Beef Wellington, Potato Augratin, Asparagus with Hollandaise

DSCN2188.jpg

Last but not least, an impromtu dessert by your's truly, since the dessert girl called and cancelled at the last minute. Port wine brownies with vanilla bean ice cream and raspberries.

DSCN2190.jpg

A totally filling meal, I may not eat all week....well, who are we kidding? :raz:

Edited by lucylou95816 (log)

Forest

Potato cheddar bacon soup is one of my favorites but I am sure inquiring minds will want to know where did you find cheddar cheese? :smile:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Lots of amazing dinners, but a special shout-out for jmolinari – beautiful pictures of beautiful food.

We had wok-seared shrimp with garlic and chile (tom rang toi ot) from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. More info here (click). Cukes and a baked potato with melted butter on the side, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

gallery_42956_2536_38407.jpg

Katie probably has the real recipe and I welcome her to comment here or post it on recipegullet.

My version was:

2 bulbs medium fennel - sliced

2 pears (bartlett or asian) - diced

1/2 cup salad dressing or mixture of mayo and ranch in my case.

1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

4 oz toasted cashew

Stir it all together and add in a few of the fennel leaves(?) if you like.

Thank you! Can't wait to try it :)

Lots of amazing dinners, but a special shout-out for jmolinari – beautiful pictures of beautiful food.

We had wok-seared shrimp with garlic and chile (tom rang toi ot) from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. More info here (click). Cukes and a baked potato with melted butter on the side, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

That shrimp looks amazing!

I had leftover Calvados cream sauce from my scallops last night -- didn't want to waste it so I stretched it and had Penne in a Calvados + thyme cream sauce with sauteed shrimp, appley artichokes and wilted spinach (plus a few pine nuts and some mozzarella).

394783644_637e246f4b_m.jpg

That shrimp looks amazing!

Thanks!

I had leftover Calvados cream sauce from my scallops last night -- didn't want to waste it so I stretched it and had Penne in a Calvados + thyme cream sauce with sauteed shrimp, appley artichokes and wilted spinach (plus a few pine nuts and some mozzarella).

trufflelover: Calvados cream sauce, penne, shrimp, artichokes, spinach, pine nuts - that sounds delicious, thanks for sharing.

mmm, had these again, lol...

bigameatballs.jpg

I posted this pic the other day, but we had to have them again for dinner. Served these 6 ounce monsters over hand-made fettucini and oven roated tomato pesto. Of course, we chomped on some parmesan garlic bread to sop up the extra sauce ;)

Sorry, no final pics of the finished dish, I forgot, lol.