• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

So many beautiful dinners!

Nishla: Thank you! Your potato-chorizo-egg dish immediately jumped out at me, but the pizza and seared scallop salad also look and sound delicious.

Pontormo: I’m so glad that you have found a new friend in lemongrass, but it isn’t fair to dangle “Thai pho” without explanation. :smile: Please do report on your Asian soup adventures. Our boys love soup, but (mostly because of time limitations) we don’t make it often enough.

Forest: Thank you!

Klary: Thanks! Your picture-taking routine sounds like ours, except our only decent light is on the stovetop (I have learned to avoid leaning on still-hot burners). :rolleyes:

Lucylou: Your pictures are quite beautiful, especially the chili crusted pork roast and the potato cheese soup with pancetta.

Sarawelch: I love your flavor combinations and I am intrigued by the sweet potato and chicken pie, but ooh, that dessert!

MiFi: I am now craving beef Stroganoff (preferably yours). :biggrin:

GTO: Spring? What's that?

I was taken out to dinner last night! :wub::wub: But, don't tell my husband....some of your meals look a damn sight better than what I had!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nishia: goat butter? Why do use it? What does it taste like? Melt temp? Burn? Where do you get it?

I've used goat milk...for making soap, but I've never even seen goat butter. Sorry, too many questions!

We kept it simple for V-Day as we're going out for a fancy dinner tonight instead.

Since we got a chest freezer, I've been meaning to do more big batch cooking so last night we made a "Loaded Baked Potato" soup and ate some then froze the rest. It was basically like eating thin mashed potatos with bacon, cheese, and sour cream (we were missing the green onions). Perfect for this crazy cold weather!

potatosoup.jpg

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

We always stay home for Valentine's and have a simple dinner. Last night we started with smoked salmon canapes.

gallery_26110_4104_406703.jpg

Then I sauteed this rib eye steak.

gallery_26110_4104_771473.jpg

With the steak we had a potato gallette and a salad (no pic.)

gallery_26110_4104_771186.jpg

A shot of my plate.

gallery_26110_4104_739908.jpg

And dessert was warm salted chocolate crostini.

gallery_26110_4104_482289.jpg

Pontormo: I’m so glad that you have found a new friend in lemongrass, but it isn’t fair to dangle “Thai pho” without explanation. :smile:  Please do report on your Asian soup adventures. Our boys love soup, but (mostly because of time limitations) we don’t make it often enough.

Well, I'm not sure what your family might have thought of my bastardized soup, but I was working with what I had on hand and the fact that I am trying to lose weight, if not on your wife's strict system. So no coconut milk.

Base was Italian, actually, since I made what I had hoped would be a month's supply of brodo which is disappearing rapidly. Instead of using one meat, you use a combination of turkey (wings) and beef, the latter shanks which I roasted first. After both meats simmer for one hour in water, you add the usual mirepoix, a crushed garlic clove, bay leaves, parsley and salt. Simmer in oven 8 more hours. I made it first at Christmas from Lynne Rosetto Kasper's recipe, possibly online, and find it really is versatile in that it suits recipes calling for chicken or beef stock. Buy extra beef and fish out some of it early in the process, leaving the bones behind (as Malawry suggests elsewhere) and you have even more possibilities.

I read the beginning of cook-off thread on Asian noodle soups (great resource which I intend to finish!) and ended up using a linked recipe for pho, charring an onion and adding it along with star anise, etc. to broth which simmered as I put together the rest of my ingredients. Tai element? Bruised, chopped lemongrass, lime juice & Kaffir lime leaves. In bowl: rice noodles, thin slices of beef, red chilies, cilantro, scallions and mint. No basil at home. Very good, followed by warmed persimmon cake surrounded by applesauce made with cider, topped by (light) sour cream. The only thing I might have done differently with what was on hand was eliminate the star anise. I adore the aroma it contributes, especially, but it is so assertive, it interferes with the more delicate scent of lemongrass.

Most likely, I'll be using the same broth to make a modified caldo verde tonight.

Okay, I filled in the details. Your turn, Hathor. :wink:

P.S. Everyone's Valentine's dinners are just lovely!

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Dianne: I don't even drink wine but those salted chocolate crostini look so good, so lazy, I bet they were great with some wine (If that's what I'm seeing in the glass behind).

They were great with the wine. And it was a very nice wine indeed. Chateau Prieure-Lichine, 1990, Margaux which Alan had been saving.

Take it from a professional editor folks.....you photographers ROCK. I used to work for a publisher who was so cheap that they forced the food editors to style and shoot their own photos; they always managed to come out looking like either a car wreck or the aftereffects of salmonella. Publisher is still in business, food looks a little better, but only a little.

Seriously people, you're amazing. I'll add my image of drying pappardelle in upcoming post.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

I'm studying photography at University, BeefCheeks. My aspirations are all geared towards food, which is a bit difficult at the moment since the natural light around here sucks, especially at this time of the year.

All of us with bad light will just have to wait until the summer months and for me, I don't think the Uni would approve of my bringing dinner to their studio each night. :biggrin:

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Wow, there has been some amazing food going on here.

This week we started with Khemee, a delicious Persian stew made with veal, split peas and dried lime. Topped with crispy fried potatoes.

gallery_41870_2503_73120.jpg

I made a lamb/veal bolognese for moussaka (we haven't eaten it yet) and decided to make one of my little guy's favorites with some of the sauce. Topped with a light bechamel, as I'm not a fan of the thick eggy version typically topping this dish:

Pasticcio

gallery_41870_2503_44850.jpg

Yesterday I got into the holiday mood. When it comes to special occasions, some people bake cookies, some people bake cakes. Shaya makes ravioli! Served with Champagne, of course.

gallery_41870_2503_34270.jpg

The Fillings: Both have chevre/lemon zest/ricotta - can you guess which one has the addition of roasted beets?

gallery_41870_2503_22266.jpg

Heart Beets

gallery_41870_2503_15823.jpg

Ricotta Hearts

gallery_41870_2503_24591.jpg

We had seafood for a second course. Scallops, sauteed beet greens, and this fish "en Saor" which is discussed at length here in our thread on the Veneto regiou of Italy.

gallery_41870_2503_8833.jpg

Edited by Shaya (log)

Shaya, those hearts are just too cute for words.

Bruce, thanks for the compliments.

GTO, I was recently on an airline flight and saw this for sale in the onboard magazine. I am almost inclined. But I was wondering if it would be a good investment...people might think that I am starting to go a little nuts, if that was set up in my kitchen.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73033.asp...ative=658794741

Pontormo: So, an Italian-Vietnamese-Thai soup then. Sounds delicious to me – thanks for the explanation.

Shaya: I’m glad you are feeling well enough for “fun with ravioli.”

We made hot and sour Hunan chicken with carrots and zucchini, edamame, and Jasmine rice. More information here (click).

gallery_42956_2536_31043.jpg

Hi girlie! As you'll see, I just sent you a message about this....but I'll post it here so everyone can have the benefit of your input & wisdom! :smile: I always think it might be tough (i haven't tried cooking it). By tough I mean "not tender" but could be difficult as well. How'd you cook it and how was it?

By the way, for a "first time" it looks like you've got it down great!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Some people have recently complained to me that they miss my posts in the dinner thread. I never realised I had a following so now I feel obligated to catch up on the last few months worth of stuff.

Southern Dinner: Roast Pork, Collard Greens, Southern Green Beans & Corn Bread

pork2.jpg

pork3.jpg

bread6.jpg

Cassoulet made with home cured duck confit, not especially authentic but delicious. In retrospect, throwing the sausage on top at the last minute was a mistake, it became dried out an tough, Caeser Salad on the side:

cassoulet1.jpg

cassoulet2.jpg

Beef Goulash, Sauteed Spinach & Noodles:

goulash1.jpg

Chicken Breast, Sauteed Spinach & Almonds:

chicken5.jpg

Poached Monkfish with Acorn Squash & Linguica Risotto and Balsamic Glazed Green Beans:

risotto4.jpg

Banana & Walnut Bread:

bread5.jpg

Chocolate Mousse:

choc3.jpg

3 Types of Truffles, Rum & Orange with Demera Sugar, Hazelnut & Almond, Dulce De Leche & Coconut

choc2.jpg

PS: I am a guy.

February 15th. Post Valentines. This means I have to make up for not doing anything for Valentine's Day.

So, I went back through the notes, and pulled out Sergi Arola's recipe for a prawn suquet. He'd done this in 2005 in Bangkok.

I spent the early part of the day reducing prawn stock. I had a big supply of heads, so I fried these in olive oil with some thyme and garlic, then watered up, and added some diced tomatoes and paprika....and let it go for the rest of the day.

Just before dinner, I pan roasted a skinned peach in some more thyme and butter. Once this was close I pulled out the peaches and fried up the prawns, adding a little olive oil as I went.

Then the prawns went in the bowls, the peaches sliver in, and the broth gets added. I top with some fresh parsley, and sprinkle some chopped nori on top of that. Dollops of fresh aioli go on (I should've used a squeeze bottle), and we're done.

gallery_22892_1_14238.jpg

This wasn't going to be enough, though. I'd rooted through the fridge, and found that I had two foies left. One of them was going to go to the cause of domestic harmony.

gallery_22892_1_31332.jpg

I also had the thick end of a tenderloin, so I crusted this in pepper and sea salt, and seared it with fresh rosemary. Then I slowly roasted it.

While that was going on, I blanched some spinach, and set it aside with some sesame oil and garlic.

The last package of ink pasta went into the boiling water, and I shredded some parmesan.

The mushrooms were cleaned and ready.

I pulled the tenderloin out to rest a bit.

I cut the foie, cleaned out the blood (not much), and then quickly pan fried the slabs, trying not to lose much of the fat, but with a plan for what does come off.

Once cooked through, I took the roast, now cut to steaks, and finished the steaks in the foie butter. This let off more of the meat juices.

Removing the steaks, I tossed the mushrooms in, and let them soak up the good stuff.

Meanwhile, our starch, the ink pasta, was tossed with some olive oil and garlic (we like garlic), and went to the table with parmesan, the foie gras, meat, and spinach.

I yanked the 'shrooms from the heat, and got them out while things were still hot.

And I'm almost in her good books again. I probably would've made more points with her if I hadn't told her she couldn't eat until after I took some pictures.

gallery_22892_1_52594.jpg

As a tribute to Purple Wiz, I tried out her chili crusted pork roast.  I didn't have exactly the chili's that she used, but it turned out good and I used a tenderloin.  Along side of it, I made a pan fried polenta, which wasn't  that bad.

DSCN2088.jpg

Not only am I flattered beyond words, but my, that DOES look good! (And it's the kind of recipe that lends itself to being tinkered with!)

I wish I had bowl of your potato cheese soup right now :).

Marcia.

Edited by purplewiz (log)

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I comment way too little. I'm speechless most the time, so many amazing dinners.

Doddie was so kind to share her Chicken Adobo recipe with me, so I gave it a shot:

Chicken_Adobo_11.jpg

I loved it! Many thanks for the recipe again. IMHO it's an instant classic!

edit: spelling

Edited by ChryZ (log)

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog