• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

I, too, have been stuck in a monotony of blah foods except tonight. I made Chicken Adobo with Garlic Fried Rice.

gallery_48583_4079_96376.jpg

In my family, we always serve tomato slices on the side. The tomatoes are either sprinkled with salt or marinated in fish sauce as a tangy, fresh side dish. I add cucumbers (inspired by C. Sapidus and his eternal cukes).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

In search of comfort food I made Steak au Povire, green beans in lemon butter and All Crust Potato gratin from Happy in the Kitchen:

gallery_6080_205_73548.jpg

gallery_6080_205_60450.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, that steak is making me hungry. Here are a couple from the past couple of weeks.

Felt like some good soup, so we made a sausage tortellini soup:

dec1920062007-01-14_0009.jpg

As a tribute to Megan and someone else, who I apologize I forgot who did it, please don't hate me. :raz: I made braised garlic, balsamic with spaghetti...very good, next time I'll add tons more garlic.

dec1920062007-01-21_0010.jpg

Lastly, an asian chicken salad, that is one of my favorites:

dec1920062007-01-24_0002.jpg

Doddie: Mmm, tomatoes and fish sauce – yum! The chicken adobo looks good, too. Beware the power of the humble cucumber . . .

From Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Napa cabbage and shrimp soup again (canh cai kim chi nau tom) . . .

gallery_42956_2536_33324.jpg

. . . and shrimp in spicy tamarind sauce (tom rang me), with jasmine rice and cukes. More info here (click).

gallery_42956_2536_35330.jpg

I'm trying to get caught up on all the wonderful meals. I would be happy with everything pictured.

Marlene I love how generous you were with the peppercorns. Perfectly cooked too. I love steak au Povire.

Bruce Everything you cook makes my mouth water.

Lucylou I love soups and your tortellini soup looks rich and delicious.

And Judith Your quail and white beans looks so good.

Nishla I'm adding your Mapo Tofu to the short list of recipes that I want to try soon. Thanks to Hzrt8w's Chinese Pictorials, I've been getting interested in making a few Chinese dishes.

Here are a few of the dinners we have had in the last week:

Chicken Souvlaki

gallery_27944_2966_474797.jpg

Chicken Chow Mein

gallery_27944_2966_122141.jpg

Osso Bucco

gallery_27944_2966_82433.jpg

Baby Goat Shanks Greek Style

gallery_27944_2966_718826.jpg

And last night we had orecchiette with Italian Sausage in a tomato basil sauce.

gallery_27944_2966_682864.jpg

Ann

Edited by Ann_T (log)

In search of comfort food I made Steak au Povire, green beans in lemon butter and All Crust Potato gratin from Happy in the Kitchen:

gallery_6080_205_73548.jpg

Your steak looks delicious!

I was craving beef, and made some club steaks topped with a little butter, and some parmesan and truffle-salt potato puree.

gallery_11181_3830_65629.jpg

I thought of making it au poivre, and then didn't, and I was sorry as soon as I saw your photo. These steaks were natural Angus beef, and they were completely and totally tasteless.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I fixed Pork Bistek for us tonight. "Bistek" is a Filipino corruption of "beefsteak", the cooking method where meat (usually beef) is marinated in soy sauce, kalamansi juice, minced garlic and pepper. When the meat is simmering in the marinade, onion ring slices are added on top of the meat.

gallery_48583_4079_30601.jpg

To serve this, you either serve it with freshly cooked rice or sliced thinly and served over lettuce in a bun, topped with the sauce and thinly sliced onions.

Klary, thank you for telling me the original person. Megan Pm'd her version...it was good, but we needed to tweak it a little, and I didn't do the butter like foodman mentions, so I'll have to try that again with that addition.

My meals have not been nearly as delicious looking as the latest one's here. But here goes.

On thursday we had a frittata with artichokes, bacon and chicken.

gallery_26110_4104_234039.jpg

And last night we had Home Style Bean Curd from Fuchsia Dunlop's new book; Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province. I just got this book and I love it already. The dish doesn't look like much, but the taste was fabulous.

gallery_26110_4104_831354.jpg

Baby Goat Shanks Greek Style

Wow, looks absolutely delicious, the color is great.

Do you have a recipe for these?

My husbands fav food is lamb and he is greek...

Laurel, I don't really follow a recipe. I do the same thing using Lamb Shoulder and lamb shanks. Just brown the meat, and then season with lots of garlic, lemon zest, oregano, olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon, salt and pepper and a little chicken broth. Cover and cook in the oven at about 350 to 375°F until the meat is almost tender and add some potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes are done. I usually squeeze a little more lemon over it before serving.

Ann, I missed your gorgeous pictures! Good to see you back on the thread!

Thanks Klary.

Ann

I cooked, I cooked!!! Well, just a little - and with a lot of help from Mr. Kim. I had carpal tunnel surgery 1/29 and got the soft cast off a couple of days ago. Very sore and achy, but I couldn't wait to get back in the kitchen. You guys have had me DROOLING for the past couple of weeks and I am so glad to have been able to put dinner on the table tonight - such as it was...

gallery_34972_3580_58178.jpg

Grilled pastrami, swiss cheese and slaw on rye sandwiches, cole slaw and white trash cheese fries (OreIda's 'n' Whiz) :blush: !

Yay for Kim Shook cooking again!

Dinner tonight was Roast Beef:

gallery_48583_4079_291893.jpg

With a side of veggies simmered in the sauce:

gallery_48583_4079_259317.jpg

Dessert was sweet and succulent strawberries and tangerines...

gallery_48583_4079_99472.jpg

Kim I didn't know about your surgery. I'm glad you are able to get back into the kitchen.

Domestic Goddess Beautiful big roast of beef. If you have any leftovers they would make for a nice hot roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy.

I grilled a nice 1 1/2 pound rib eye steak last night and we shared it with mashed potatoes, mushrooms and spinach.

gallery_27944_2966_627673.jpg

I cooked, I cooked!!!  Well, just a little - and with a lot of help from Mr. Kim.  I had carpal tunnel surgery 1/29 and got the soft cast off a couple of days ago.  Very sore and achy, but I couldn't wait to get back in the kitchen.  You guys have had me DROOLING for the past couple of weeks and I am so glad to have been able to put dinner on the table tonight - such as it was...

gallery_34972_3580_58178.jpg

Grilled pastrami, swiss cheese and slaw on rye sandwiches, cole slaw and white trash cheese fries (OreIda's 'n' Whiz)  :blush: !

I LOVE LOVE LOVE grilled pastrami and swiss with cole slaw....I do prefer my fries with gravy though

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Last night I threw caution (and cholesterol-consciousness) to the wind, and made grilled veal rib chops with a brandy/cremini mushroom cream sauce. On the side were string beans (in a string bean-reduction glaze with lemon zest), and potato pancakes. I took extreme care in plating it and composing the photo. Then the memory card in the camera malfunctioned, and I have none of the photos. :sad: But as no humans were harmed in the incident, I'll survive. I had wanted to have photos one dish with sauces from this year, though. Oh well, the memory will have to do me.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Mmm, lots of beautiful, juicy, seared-red meat around tonight.

We had baked fish fillets with sherry-butter sauce and basil; stir-fried baby zucchini slivers with garlic; and basmati rice. Mrs. Crab made cabbage salad with dried cranberries. We also killed a bottle of Elk Run eiswein. :wub:

gallery_42956_2536_33983.jpg

Lately I've been exploring the world of pizza. Tonight was a very thin-crust pie w/ sweet italian sausage:

gallery_18540_4077_78966.jpg

A few weeks ago, it was a deep dish, with sausage and pepperoni. I've observed deep dish pizzas being made on numerous occasions, but this was my first attempt at it, and it it turned out nearly perfect, much to my suprise:

gallery_18540_4077_264010.jpg

For the deep dish, I used this recipe from pizzamaking.com, and it was wonderfull... it was exactly what I was expecting: http://www.pizzamaking.com/dkm_chicago.php

Edit: fixed images

__Jason

Edited by guzzirider (log)