• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Isn't this actually "Upside-down Tamarind Shrimp"?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Markk, it is upside down, but I'm not sure how to rotate it.Pretend.

Bruce, the taste was great. The sauce had that sweet, spicy, salty, sour thing going on.

I will be doing more from this book too. Love to hear about your results.

Last night we had an Asian feast to celebrate a friend's birthday.

I made some of my favorites:

Korean Sesame Chicken Cakes - I used finely chopped chicken rather than ground chicken, because I like to know exactly what I'm eating

gallery_41870_2503_42678.jpg

Vietnamese Beef Rolls - these were outstanding; the beef was marinated overnight in lemongrass, finger, garlic, shallot, fish sauce, sugar, chilies and briefly grilled to bring out the flavors

gallery_41870_2503_40629.jpg

Dipping Sauces - for rolls on the left, chicken on the right

gallery_41870_2503_14180.jpg

Char Siu Bao - I still had some left over from 2 weeks ago; I baked them this time as they were a bit sticky after steaming last time, and this worked much better.

gallery_41870_2503_5459.jpg

And our friends brought some of my favorites :laugh: :

Shrimp in Coconut Peanut Sauce - the sauce was incredible, homemade of course; note the cilantro topping for color - I am with Bruce's boys, I find it tastes like soap, so I ate the shrimp from the pan (I can't even stand if my food has touched the stuff)

gallery_41870_2503_45258.jpg

Vietnamese Noodles with Veggies

gallery_41870_2503_9039.jpg

Vietnamese Beef Rolls - these were outstanding; the beef was marinated overnight in lemongrass, finger, garlic, shallot, fish sauce, sugar, chilies and briefly grilled to bring out the flavors

Um, did you leave the nail on, or peel it off? :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Um, did you leave the nail on, or peel it off? :raz:

As beautiful as this picture is, it has a little bit of the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" pod thing going on :wacko: Now I know why (the finger :wink: )

I made my third batch of chicken noodle soup in three weeks. My husband was nursed back to health with the first two (the second batch had rice noodles) and craved even more! :rolleyes:

gallery_17172_4168_658133.jpg

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Daniel, as usual your dinners look fantastic..how can I be invited over?

Petite, that soup picture is way too cool.

Everyone else, I have to continually wipe the drool off my computer.

Here are a few meals from the past couple of weeks:

Last night, we had our monthly dinner club, theme: Indian. My offering was trying to make Naan from scratch with raita and mango salsa. For a first effort, the Naan turned out okay, there was hardly any left:

dec1920062007-01-27_0002.jpg

One night a while back, we had some friends over to have pork chops with a roasted red bell pepper soup. The soup and chops are from Giada. The soup, in my opinion was very good, garnished with marscapone cheese and croutons. The pork chops had a tarragon dijon sauce. they were cut in half, since I had brined 2 for dinner with my boyfriend, and then we invited his sister over, so we had a comparison tasting with brined vs unbrined. I used the Chaz Panisse brine, which I liked a lot better on chicken.

dec1920062007-01-01_0001.jpg

dec1920062007-01-01_0004.jpg

Picture not the prettiest, but my favorite from mom, comfort food, Hamburger Stroganoff. Easy to make and tasty to eat:

dec1920062007-01-03_0001.jpg

Lasagna another night, again not the best picture:

dec1920062007-01-07_0044-1.jpg

Another easy and fairly healthy meal. Chicken and veggie stir fry:

dec1920062007-01-09_0012.jpg

This one was good. Chicken and mushroom crepes with creme fraiche. Served with roasted red potatoes.

dec1920062007-01-12_0001.jpg

Dipping Sauces - for rolls on the left, chicken on the right

gallery_41870_2503_14180.jpg

Shaya,

What did you use to make the dipping sauce for the Vietnamese Beef Rolls? Your marinated beef sound good. I'll have to try that instead of the usual shrimp.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shaya: Wow, another incredible dinner! Sorry to hear that you are afflicted with the cilantro = soap gene, though. :sad:

We made Tai Bai chicken (Tai Bai ji – from Land of Plenty); Napa cabbage and shrimp soup (canh cai kim chi nau tom – from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen); and jasmine rice. More information about the chicken on Chinese eats at home (post #775 – click), and the soup on Vietnamese food (post #249 – click)

gallery_42956_2536_18995.jpg

Some incredible looking food being posted here. This is tonight's attempt at Indian Home Cookingby Suvir Saran. Chicken Biriyani and Dal with curried eggplant from another book

gallery_5277_2884_872886.jpg

Stop Family Violence

mmmm... I really want quiche- gorgeous daniel

and shaya all of that looks amazing but especially the chicken patties and the beef roll ups!!

the other night we grilled some pork chops after marinating them in a really nice garlicy fish sauce/soy sauce conncoction. we also grilled some bok choy and brushed it with the same marinade. served with brown rice.

372862935_3a9028a324.jpg

tonight we just got back from a ski weekend at Whistler so we are eating some minestrone we had frozen.

edited to put in the right picture :raz:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

the other night we grilled some pork chops after marinating them in a really nice garlicy fish sauce/soy sauce conncoction. we also grilled some bok choy and brushed it with the same marinade. served with brown rice.

372862935_3a9028a324.jpg

LMF: Mmm, grilled bok choy sounds intriguing. We have some in the fridge, so I may try that. Thanks for the idea!

LMF: I love the look of that bok choy. Very clever to grill it. It looks so nicely caramelized.

Shaya,

What did you use to make the dipping sauce for the Vietnamese Beef Rolls? Your marinated beef sound good. I'll have to try that instead of the usual shrimp.

Dejah,

The dipping sauce is simply a Vietnamese nuoc cham dipping sauce : garlic, chilies, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and water to thin it down.

Shaya: Wow, another incredible dinner! Sorry to hear that you are afflicted with the cilantro = soap gene, though. :sad:

Yeah, I know, I can't explain it but the stuff is completely offensive to me. Your chicken looks amazing.

ChryZ, Domestic Goddess, here is how you make the Korean Sesame Chicken Cakes: combine finely chopped chicken, green onion, sesame seeds, sesame oil, soya sauce, ginger, cayenne.

Form patties, refrigerate if you have time, then shallow-fry on medium-high heat until golden on both sides.

For the dipping sauce combine soya sauce, vinegar, green onion, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and Thai chilies.

Last night I made oven roasted lamb shanks with roasted tomatoes and toasted orzo. Time consuming, but worth the effort!

gallery_50587_4042_75087.jpg

Sararwelch,

Roasted tomatoes are the only way I can eat tomatoes in the winter since it's pretty hard to get a decent one in Chicago this time of year. Can you tell me about the toasted orzo? Is that two types of orzo in there? One looks darker than the other.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Just before hitting the road for work, I normally gear up by whipping up some home cooking, such as these meals before heading to Tokyo and Hong Kong...

Goat cheese stuffed Chix w/mustard sauce & lentils du puy

gallery_39170_2381_172432.jpg

Veal dumplings

gallery_39170_2381_44898.jpg

Blue cheese burger, homemade baked beans, onion rigs

gallery_39170_2381_70250.jpg

Sausage & green pepper pizza

gallery_39170_2381_225566.jpg

gallery_39170_2381_146342.jpg

I have been trying some more adventuresome dinners (for me anyway) lately. Not always taking pictures....but tonight I was proud of myself for doing Thomas Keller's recipe for leek and roquefort quiche from the Bouchon cookbook somewhat successfully for the first time.

gallery_44782_4164_450169.jpg

I am now in the process of slow cooking the pork coddled in olive oil from Paula Wolfert's Slow Mediterranean Cooking. This is for dinner tomorrow night.

Donna

Veal dumplings

gallery_39170_2381_44898.jpg

There's just something about that come-hither shine on those well-stuffed beauties. I've been scattered around all this month, and have missed a lot of good things I need to catch up on, but I'm gonna go ahead and declare this the first DIVE of the year. :wub:

I'm sure there will be lots more in retrospect.

Shaya, thanks for the recipe for the korean chicken sesame cakes. I need to make those sambousaks soon. I have about a cup and a half of chickpeas in my pantry.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Last night I made oven roasted lamb shanks with roasted tomatoes and toasted orzo. Time consuming, but worth the effort!

gallery_50587_4042_75087.jpg

Sararwelch,

Roasted tomatoes are the only way I can eat tomatoes in the winter since it's pretty hard to get a decent one in Chicago this time of year. Can you tell me about the toasted orzo? Is that two types of orzo in there? One looks darker than the other.

I watched Bobby Flay make this on the food network a few months ago - only half of the orzo is toasted, he said that the flavor was too strong when he tried toasting all of the orzo. Here's the recipe.