• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Dinner two nights ago. Rotisseried Cornish Game Hens coated with herb mixture and salt/pepper and stuffed with lemon, garlic, onion, celery and butter. Drip pan below had red wine and stock in it to help keep the meat moist and add some flavor.

gallery_22252_902_22419.jpeg

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Last night's dinner was a platter full of sticky roasted pig's tails and thick sliced pork hocks. We had salad and no-knead bread to go along.

gallery_26110_4104_1088158.jpg

Dianne - are pig's tails an Ontarian thing? The only time I've had them whole like that (or even seen them on a menu) was in either Kitchener or Waterloo (can't remember which).

Wow.. How did I miss that photo.. That looks really good.. What kind of sauce did you put on the meat?

Markk they certainly are a specialty of the Kitchener-Waterloo area, but I would think you would find them in any area with a Mennonite comunity

Daniel, thanks for the kind words. I used a tomato based sauce with added chipotle sauce, Worcestershire and the meat drippings.

Thanks to the wonderful Korean Home Cooking thread, I was inspired to do some 'sort of' Korean cooking today.

gallery_21505_2929_66778.jpg

Cold buckwheat noodle salad with gochujang (Korean chilipaste) dressing

gallery_21505_2929_34964.jpg

mandu, Korean potstickers (filling: pork, scalions, ginger and garlic) with a soy dipping sauce

gallery_21505_2929_95959.jpg

Dak Gochujang Bokum, chicken in hot chili sauce, recipe described by ChryZ here in the Korean Home Cooking thread.

I think I'm in love with Korean food :wub:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Chufi that dinner looks amazing. I just bought buckwheat noodles today - I've been having soba noodles for breakfast all week and love them! What sauces go into the dressing aside from the gochujang?

You also got gorgeous pleats on your potstickers. Great meal.

beautiful mando chufi! my best friend growing up was korean and on afternoons when we would make mando (100's) her mom would tell us when they were particularily pretty that meant we would have beautiful children... worked for me ;)

would you share your recipe?

Thanks guys!

Shaya the dressing is 2 tbsp gochujang, 1 tbsp soysauce, 1 tbsp mirin, a bit of rice vinegar, 1/2 tbsp sesameoil, and some toasted sesameseeds (and a little bit of water to losen it up)

dvs I'm sorry no real recipe.. I just mixed ground pork with garlic, ginger, a bit of soysauce, a bit of sesameoil, scallions and chives until it 'looked right' :smile:

Your basic pepperoni pizza with mozzarella and fresh basil.  Suace was thinned out tomato paste with misc herbs added.

gallery_22252_902_29152.jpeg

That pizza is a thing of beauty. I'm envious.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I think I'm in love with Korean food  :wub:

Yet another victim: welcome to the club, enjoy your stay :laugh:

This forum is such a great resource of inspiration, so I'm very happy that you liked my dak gochujang bokum recipe, it made me feel like giving back a little. Oh and I gotta second the other comments, your pictures are very drool-worthy indeed.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

Going to a brunch fundraiser for my friends art group.. Asked us to make some things.. Quiche Lorraine from Bouchon, stick buns, and star anise scones..

Must start with the bacon shot.. Schaller and Weber double smoked..

gallery_15057_2971_123137.jpg

The crust really makes it.. I have eaten this at the restaurant Bouchon several times.. Its really wonderful

gallery_15057_2971_72644.jpg

Buns.. Rolled in cinamon sugar.. Burbon Pecan topping.. Whats not to love.. Fresh Cinnamon is a must in this..

gallery_15057_2971_137103.jpg

The hardest part was flipping it out of the pan.. The hot sauce on the bottom became the top.. I have hot syrup burns running down my arm.. :rolleyes: And the with the soreness of kneading it for a half hour, these guys best be good..

Dont think we didnt scrape the syrup off and coat the buns..

gallery_15057_2971_5336.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_2971_68524.jpg

Scones had star anise:

gallery_15057_2971_61601.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Hi everyone

I have been reading the posts on this site for about a year, and I finally decided to become a member and start posting. I feel like I know many of you already! Your posts have inspired my cooking and your food looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to share my meals with you in the future!

Mike :biggrin:

Going to a brunch fundraiser for my friends art group.. Asked us to make some things.. Quiche Lorraine from Bouchon, stick buns, and star anise scones..

Must start with the bacon shot.. Schaller and Weber double smoked..

gallery_15057_2971_123137.jpg

The crust really makes it.. I have eaten this at the restaurant Bouchon several times.. Its really wonderful

gallery_15057_2971_72644.jpg

Buns.. Rolled in cinamon sugar.. Burbon Pecan topping.. Whats not to love.. Fresh Cinnamon is a must in this..

The hardest part was flipping it out of the pan.. The hot sauce on the bottom became the top.. I have hot syrup burns running down my arm..  :rolleyes: And the with the soreness of kneading it for a half hour, these guys best be good..

Dont think we didnt scrape the syrup off and coat the buns..

gallery_15057_2971_5336.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_2971_68524.jpg

Scones had star anise:

gallery_15057_2971_61601.jpg

OHH

Daniel, thanks for reminding my why quiche is one of my all time faves... I like to pull the quiche about ten minutes from done time, top it with thin slices of fresh tomato and return it to the oven.. and the sticky buns. I have an elderly neighbor who will make these for me sometimes.. old school, huge buttery buns. Awesome!

---------------------------------------

Christine, I was tempted to ask if your name might be Kinsey---fictional detective whose elderly neighbor bakes the most wonderful things.

All Y'all are just mag-nif-i-shent!!

Lovely, syrupy buns with crisp pecans :wub: We're having two kinds of quiche tomorrow for brunch---Chris' birthday celebration. One is broccoli with grape tomato slices baked on top, and the other is an egg-beater, FF milk, FF cheese version for our WW contingent. The broccoli one will be baked in a buttered 9x13, with no crust. I tinkered with the recipe for a long time before I could leave off the crust and make a quiche to cut into squares---I'd make twenty-five or so for weddings and parties, and that much crust-primping is a BOTHER.

Great work, ALL!!

Christine, I was tempted to ask if your name might be Kinsey---fictional detective whose elderly neighbor bakes the most wonderful things.

All Y'all are just mag-nif-i-shent!!

Lovely, syrupy buns with crisp pecans :wub:  We're having two kinds of quiche tomorrow for brunch---Chris' birthday celebration.  One is broccoli with grape tomato slices baked on top, and the other is an egg-beater, FF milk, FF cheese version for our WW contingent.  The broccoli one will be baked in a buttered 9x13, with no crust.  I tinkered with the recipe for a long time before I could leave off the crust and make a quiche to cut into squares---I'd make twenty-five or so for weddings and parties, and that much crust-primping is a BOTHER.

Great work, ALL!!

Racheld, Kinsey, as in the alphabet murders is one of myall time favorite writers, and you're right, her neighbor Henry would have baked those awesome stickey buns on anyday!

---------------------------------------

We're having two kinds of quiche tomorrow for brunch---Chris' birthday celebration.  One is broccoli with grape tomato slices baked on top, and the other is an egg-beater, FF milk, FF cheese version for our WW contingent.  The broccoli one will be baked in a buttered 9x13, with no crust.  I tinkered with the recipe for a long time before I could leave off the crust and make a quiche to cut into squares---I'd make twenty-five or so for weddings and parties, and that much crust-primping is a BOTHER.

Rachel, that sounds so good!! Would you be able to post that recipe to RecipeGullet?

Christine (another one)

On Friday we had chicken biryani with a fresh pineapple chutney, lemon pickle and tamarind sauce.

gallery_26110_4104_615329.jpg

And I have recently aquired Into The Vietnamesem Kitchen and my first effort was Shrimp in Spicy Tamarind Sauce. Not the same sauce as the chicken one, but I do seem to be on a tamarind spree.

gallery_26110_4104_812568.jpg

And I have recently aquired Into The Vietnamesem Kitchen  and my first effort was Shrimp in Spicy Tamarind Sauce. Not the same sauce as the chicken one, but I do seem to be on a tamarind  spree.

gallery_26110_4104_812568.jpg

Dianne: Your shrimp in spicy tamarind sauce looks good (in an upside-down sort of way :wink: ) - how did it taste? [ulterior motive - I am also starting to work my way through Into the Vietnamese Kitchen].

those buns look so good. Daniel what is 'fresh cinnamon?' Freshly ground?

Yah, sorry I left that part out.. That could go on Menu Screw Up Thread.. I didnt go to Indian or anything and harvest it.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)