• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Very pretty presentation, Trufflelover.

Wendy, I've been envisioning presenting some latkes that way. I even have some duck fat that I brought back from Montreal. Do you recommend it for these?

I found some beautiful Thai basil today, so of course I had to make Thai curry.

Thai Red Curry with Chicken, Eggplant and Peppers - very hot and tasty

Sauteed Bok Choy with Ginger, Garlic, Lime and Fish Sauce

gallery_41870_2503_6652.jpg

Stirfried Udon Noodles with Chicken - for the little guy

gallery_41870_2503_61792.jpg

I found some beautiful Thai basil today, so of course I had to make Thai curry.

Thai Red Curry with Chicken, Eggplant and Peppers - very hot and tasty

Sauteed Bok Choy with Ginger, Garlic, Lime and Fish Sauce

gallery_41870_2503_6652.jpg

Mmm, that looks delicious, Shaya. Did you use a particular recipe?

ETA: better to reply on the Thai cooking at home thread. My bad.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Today's supper:

Grilled Lemongrass-Ginger Chicken (or Chicken Inasal in Filipino)

gallery_48583_3621_137010.jpg

I fixed garlic fried rice as the side dish for this meal and soysauce-vinegar-chili dip.

gallery_48583_3621_35948.jpg

No plated pics as my men were so hungry that they wolfed down every bite.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

smells great Doddie

Me and my hubby both agree that smoke makes for a great perfume. :biggrin:

I can still smell the grilled chicken in my hair.... (stomach growling again)...

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Last night's dinner was a platter full of sticky roasted pig's tails and thick sliced pork hocks. We had salad and no-knead bread to go along.

gallery_26110_4104_1088158.jpg

Dianne~

please tell us more about the pig tails ! I never imagined them to have much meat, am I wrong? And what is the 'sticky' ?

Long time no post. Yesterday I made white bean soup with rosemary and country ham, foccaccia with rosemary, sea salt, and the slightest bit of provolone and mozzarella, and I roasted red pepper, fennel, onion, grape tomatoes, and olives and added capers at the end.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Shaya some fellow eG'ers and us actually got together about a month ago and made lakas both fried in duck fat and fried in bacon fat. the duck fat won by a mile!!! I do them in cast iron as to get better heat distribution also. I think you would be very happy using your duck fat for the latkas!

Thai Sunday dinner, all recipes are from Thompson’s “Thai Food”:

Pad Thai.

gallery_5404_94_107361.jpg

Duck and Tofu Curry. gallery_5404_94_65134.jpg

Fish Soup with Caramel broth and Chinese Celery.

gallery_5404_94_92366.jpg

For dessert we had coconut sweet sticky rice with canned mango…the canned mango were not too bad. Sorry, no pic.

Click here for more details

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

My friend is a middle school teacher, and for halloween tomorrow she's having a fear factor challenge after school for the kids who want to participate. We cooked a bunch of stuff that we think will freak out 12-year-olds:

Hi Nishla - I'm just catching up on the Dinner thread now + I have to say, this made me laugh out loud - what an utterly brilliant idea for a teacher to do for her class. I hope they were totally freaked out!

regards

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Great looking dinners everyone.. Its hard to come around these days with the strict diet I have been on.. Great looking food everyone.. We had a few groups come to the house this weekend so I will post photos when I upload them soon..

When you go away for a few days, its always inspiring when you come back to this thread!

We were skiing in Utah for a few days, and for our finale dinner:

What else, but steak and potatoes? :laugh:

gallery_14010_3559_13880.jpg

And last night, while watching Rome:

Sauteed chicken with fried artichoke hearts

gallery_14010_3559_112180.jpg

Great looking dinners everyone.. Its hard to come around these days with the strict diet I have been on.. Great looking food everyone.. We had a few groups come to the house this weekend so I will post photos when I upload them soon..

Daniel, I'm sure i'm not the only one curious about what you're eating now that you're on the vegetarian/(vegan?) regime. Please post about it, here or someplace else, I'm really interested in what you;re coming up with for your daily meals, working with the restrictions of the new diet.

Elie I'm craving Pad Thai now :smile:

Shaya I LOVE udon noodles. So I'll gladly take some of your little one's dinner to go with the Thai red curry..

Hmm... could I make Pad Thai with udon noodles? :wacko:

Edited by Chufi (log)

tonight I used the collard greens the famer gave me, I don't like greens. but I creamed them like spinach and they were really really good- we scraped the pan! served with chicken breast breaded with crumbs, pecorino and parsley

366631291_7ac58733a5.jpg

Salad with warm borlotti beans, radicchio, belgin endive and goat's brie. The dressing was pumpkinseed paste mixed with pumpkinseedoil and a bit of lemonjuice. It looks like brown goo but it was really delicious and worked well with the bitter leaves and tangy cheese.

gallery_21505_2929_36153.jpg

The fall-apart lambshanks with chocolate almond picada from Paula Wolfert's Slow Meditteranean. The potato-cabbagegratin from the same book. Zucchini fritters and carrots wih butter, lemon juice and parsley.

gallery_21505_2929_97262.jpg

gallery_21505_2929_152912.jpg

Chocolate banana beignets from Giorgio Locatelli's new book (which is being discussed here. ) Served with the Cipriani's dark chocolate icecream from Marcella Hazan's Marcella's Kitchen. I had borrowed a friend's icecream maker for this, because mine broke some time ago and I haven't replaced it yet. As I stood ready with the chilled chocolate custard I realized that the most essential part of the machine, the churning wheel, was missing.. :shock: I ended up puting the chocolate mix in the canister that goes into the freezer, and stirring it up every 15 minutes.. pretending to be the churning wheel.. It was a lot of work but the texture of the finished icecream was perfect, and the flavor terrific.. it's my favorite chocolate icecream, intensely chocolaty without being rich or heavy.

Last night dinner was grilled london broil (that I had been marinating for about 3 days), some simple sides....brown rice and peas w/pearled onions. I used some bbq sauce from Corky's (Nashville, TN place) with the london broil - the spicy kind - it was great!

gallery_26061_2296_10364.jpg

Wendy, so I guess you do like greens!

Klary, lovely dinner party! I am always looking for new ways to dress salads, so I'm interested especially in your recommendation here.

And might I second a request made earlier?

Daniel, I really was intrigued by your decision to switch to a vegan diet for a couple of months, albeit modified by your cool, new dining club. I'd love it if you'd post here. I imagine that your creativity with beet ravioli, bacon and sea urchins extends into the world of eggplant and grains.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

hathor: Your chicken looks so good, really juicy. Are your shins hurting now, or are you an experienced skiier? :biggrin:

Both! I'm an experienced and passionate skier, and my shins are killing me. I refuse to get new boots. :laugh::laugh::cool:

Somewhere around here on eG there is a cooking at altitude thread...you want a real challenge? Figure out how to cook pasta when the water is boiling, but you can still put your hand in it. Water boils at a lower temp the higher you go...