• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

first post and I am a total technophobe so fingers crossed.

today was my husb.'s birthday and he requested Thai.

Wow what a beautiful impressive first post.

I LOVE thai food, but rarely cook it, this is definitely inspirational.

Insomniac, surely you meant your first post either to the Dinner thread, or in posting pictures---I've been enjoying your clever repartee over on the "Six Degrees" thread for a while now.

That dinner was delightful, though I admired for pretty only---I do not know those dishes by name, but they were gorgeous.

Welcome, however long you've been here!!!

Crispy pork chops tonight. This used to be a Nigella recipe until I fiddled with it enough to make it unrecogizable. I made fetuccine alfredo to go with it, but that doesn't photograph so well.

gallery_6080_205_27661.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Rache, oops, I was so fixated on not regurgitating the whole of my camera's contents onto this thread I was not really paying attention to what I wrote. That was my first post on this thread and first pix post.

I should have used English, old habits......

papaya salad

pork larb

spicy coconut fish mousse

spicy prawn soup

green curry of chicken

I made a pretty simple lasagna for dinner - great dish to warm up with on this chilly night!

gallery_51259_4126_243664.jpg

Which reminded me of this Lasagna soup I've been making a lot lately... 

gallery_51259_4126_29409.jpg

That is indeed a nice looking lasagna.

I was trying to describe to my husband this soup I used to make when I worked in a deli 20 years ago.

We called it "country sausage minestrone".

It contained

leftover sausage and peppers chopped up

leftover lasagna or baked ziti chopped up

chile with beans

and canned chicken soup.

It was damn tasty and sold well I think we actually "upcharged" it because it was so rich and heavy.

sad but true

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Two great ways with chicken, Bob & Sara.

On a complete whim, tonight I attempted some beef dumplings, something I've never thought of trying myself and they turned out really well. Whats more, I had no recipe to work from, just a very crude understanding of how to put together a pastry. They were good enough for me, lol.

I "served" them (to myself), with broccoli and a beef/tomato & spring onion sauce.

Dumplings.jpg

Edited by GTO (log)

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Those beef dumplings look amazing, GTO.

The only noteworthy dinner here was Paula Wolfert's Chicken Kdra with Chickpeas and Almonds from herCouscous and Other Good Food from Morocco. It is a wonderful recipe.

gallery_26110_4104_447162.jpg

There is couscous under there; though it doesn't much show. We had salad and no-knead bread too.

I have no idea what happened to the picture.Thanks to snowangel and Octaveman for the pic.help. It Worked!!!

Edited by Dianne (log)

Mediterranean farfalle cooked risotto with roasted red peppers, parmigiano, and toasted pinenuts. Delicious!

gallery_50607_4132_1131975.jpg

Edited by enurmi (log)

I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is often inaccurate.

Government Created Killer Nano Robot Infection Epidemic 06.

Fried chicken, green beans sauteed in garlic mustard butter, and mashed.

gallery_6080_205_57828.jpg

I'll see you back on this thread when I get back from New York in two weeks.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Two recent dinners:

gallery_15557_2797_16079.jpg

Baked chicken with a few whole wheat breadcrumbs, champagne beurre blanc. I made um, quite a bit of beurre blanc, but neither of us seemed to mind. Broccoli gratin on the side.

gallery_15557_2797_47182.jpg

Baked cod with Thai Chili rub (I'm fessing up, the rub is store bought, but I don't think I could make anything better), zucchini cauliflower fritters.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

thanks for the call out percyn, much appreciated as your meals are always so top notch!

and Joe- lasagna soup!!! that looks really fantastic.

dinner a few nights ago started with latkas fried in duck fat, topped with creme fraiche and the last of the caviar

363067006_80409317a9.jpg

then a salad of spinach, apples, red onion and mustard vinaigrette

363077406_abc441b2cf.jpg

followed by penne with italian sausage, roasted pumpkin and sage

363077407_7d353d032d.jpg

this is an old rachel ray recipe that I really like but have decided i actually like canned pumpkin better than fresh/roasted- I like the consistancy better. I guess I could have pureed this first....

tonight and last night a bowl of minestrone (not pictured)

zucchini cauliflower fritters.

oh what a great idea! Was the cauliflower raw or cooked when you mixed it in?

I shredded it raw along with the zucchini. It was about 3 parts zucchini to 1 part cauliflower when all was said and done, and it cooked up just fine as the fritters fried.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog