• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Gorgeouse looking food Wendy. I love that egg especially.

I love baking lovely Neapolitan style pizza at home, it truly is one of the most satisfying activities/dinners for my family. This past Sunday I made:

The always present or my wife will kill me Margarita pizza

gallery_5404_94_240485.jpg

Homemade Italian sausage, mozzarella and mild cheddar. This is my 3 year old's favorite.

gallery_5404_94_229692.jpg

Homemade ricotta, home cured pancetta, zucchini (not home grown :smile:) and a good drizzle of fine extra virgin olive oil. This was the first time I’ve tried this…a sure repeat.

gallery_5404_94_446101.jpg

Duck confit, roasted garlic oil, and smoked Gouda. A little too much confit on this one made it a bit salty and it bugged me why the Gouda did not melt/meld properly. It was still very tasty.

gallery_5404_94_50450.jpg

Leftovers for Monday's lunch and dinner.

gallery_5404_94_71198.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Foodman -

Oh my those pizzas...a thing of beauty that's for sure!

I especially love the Homemade Italian sausage, mozzarella and mild cheddar...similar to your son's! I just wish I could sink my teeth into it like your son gets to! I am so jealous!!!

Everyone else - your dishes all look wonferful...as always. I look at this thread daily...don't post so much but LOVE reading/seeing all of your creations! MMMMM

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Marcia, that pork looks delicious.  I've been experimenting with pork lately and that may  have to be my next adventure....any more info you can provide on how you did that?

I simply coated the pork roast liberally with the rub, let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours (probably could have sat overnight), then let it warm up while the oven was heating to 350F, drizzled roast with a little olive oil, and roasted until done. For the amount of work (little) the amount of flavor (lots) was pretty amazing.

If you like I'll PM you the rough proportions of the rub I used - like most rubs and marinades, it can be fiddled with at will!

Oh, yeah, the sandwiches today were outstanding :).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Marcia, that pork looks delicious.  I've been experimenting with pork lately and that may  have to be my next adventure....any more info you can provide on how you did that?

I simply coated the pork roast liberally with the rub, let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours (probably could have sat overnight), then let it warm up while the oven was heating to 350F, drizzled roast with a little olive oil, and roasted until done. For the amount of work (little) the amount of flavor (lots) was pretty amazing.

If you like I'll PM you the rough proportions of the rub I used - like most rubs and marinades, it can be fiddled with at will!

Oh, yeah, the sandwiches today were outstanding :).

Marcia.

That would be great, to get your recipe, thanks....I think I want to make one this week. This was just a regular pork roast? Would you recommend brining it first, or just going for it? Thanks.

When homesickness strikes me, I make Adobo.

Tonight's chicken adobo simmering in the wok.

gallery_48583_4079_142673.jpg

Chicken adobo is best paired with garlic fried rice...

gallery_48583_4079_229544.jpg

Leftover adobo will be breakfast tomorrow, paired with sunny-side egg and slices of tomatoes sprinkled with salt.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Leftover adobo will be breakfast tomorrow, paired with sunny-side egg and slices of tomatoes sprinkled with salt.

Mmmmmmm....I need adobo! Still haven't made longganisa, because I forgot to defrost my ground pork (which may actually be ground beef, but I forgot to label it). I did make tocino which is very good!

Don't forget to make adobo sandwiches for lunch. My mother has fond memories of those from her short short stay (a year or two?) in Manila. Or was that Baguio?

Rona - if your ground meat is beef, you can still make tasty longganisa out of it. Should you need the adobo recipe, I can PM it to you. My version is the Cavite version and takes two days to make (it is less greasier than the regular recipe).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

fellow eG'ers Della, Adiabatic & TallDrinkOfWater and I made a nice dinner the other night out of the Rover's cookbook

I started things off with Soft Scrambled Eggs with Lime Creme Fraiche and white sturgeon Caviar- it's always my favorite thing at the restaurant!

359002549_dd01b3ae7a.jpg

Della made her first ever brioche- this one had thyme in it

359002544_c1fb5b130b.jpg

and was used as the base of this wonderful Crab Salad with basil oil

359002556_2ef5272203.jpg

next up they made butter poached scallops with lemon confit

359002563_6cee5074fb.jpg

As a group effort we assembled oxtail with potato puree with seared foie gras and quail egg- the clear winner of the evening

359002569_a93dcea4ca.jpg

for dessert TallDrinkOfWater made orange panna cotta with pomegranate sorbet and a tuile cookie

359002573_8f38bf5c14.jpg

yes- we were full! Della feel free to talk more about the fab dishes you guys made!

I'll just mention how much fun it was to cook out of the Rover's cookbook together. The food turned out really well and we got to make some things we hadn't made before ~ but were NOT all the complicated which surprised me. I thought they might be but really just had a few "steps" to follow.

Thanks for posting the pics LMF!!!

A favourite dish of my father's, simple spareribs and sauerkraut. Served with fingerling potatoes roasted in duck fat.

gallery_6080_205_84991.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

This is my first post to this thread and I do so with trepidation. We had Paula Wolfert's coddled pork last night and it was wonderful.

gallery_26110_4104_569760.jpg

As you can see I am not much of a photograper. I will try to improve.

That is simply a great recipe, and your preparation looks wonderful.

Looks fantastic! Making me want to do this recipe. So happy I have the cookbook!!! And the inspiration.

Donna

Dinners from this week's eG foodblog (click). Feel free to join in, ask questions, or make snide remarks. :wink:

Borscht and Russian black bread, from Mrs. Crab:

gallery_28660_4106_36870.jpg

Vietnamese chicken stir-fried with lemongrass and chile (ga xao xa ot):

gallery_28660_4106_1778.jpg

Biscuits, Southern greens, sweet potatoes, and ribs:

gallery_28660_4106_12832.jpg

gallery_28660_4106_5409.jpg

Crab cakes, stir-fried bok choy, and smashed potatoes:

gallery_28660_4106_55413.jpg

Lumas, that looks delicious!

The other night was potato gnocchi with a mushroom "ragu". It was good and surprisingly rich, and the remaining ragu went on toast the next day for lunch.

gallery_38684_2093_44953.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

It’s pretty chilly here in Houston for the past couple of days, so I made a very rich, filling and comforting black eyed pea soup with spicy andouille sausage and fried crispy leeks. This sure hit the spot and the leftovers are my lunch today.

gallery_5404_94_80196.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

first post and I am a total technophobe so fingers crossed.

today was my husb.'s birthday and he requested Thai.

Som tam

DSC00799.jpg

Larb moo with sticky rice

DSC00800.jpg

Tom yam gung gathi the little guy looks like he's trying to escape.

DSC00805.jpg

Haw mok pla

DSC00797.jpg

Gaeng kiew wan gai

DSC00802.jpg

Couldn't find any Thai beer in rural Somerset so got the nearest sounding one, Ti..ger :rolleyes:

DSC00806.jpg

He really appreciated the food as this is what he gets for breakfast at work :shock:

DSC00764.jpg

Edited by insomniac (log)

Welcome to the Dinner! thread, Insomniac. I really love the meal you made for your husband. It's looks so rich in textures and flavors. You even got gorgeous color on your peanuts in the som tam. It looks like you have a seafood red curry and chicken green curry, am I right? And can you describe the Haw mok pla a bit more?

Really great, hope to see some more of these meals from you (but no pressure or anything :raz: ).

Welcome to the Dinner! thread, Insomniac.  I really love the meal you made for your husband.  It's looks so rich in textures and flavors.  You even got gorgeous color on your peanuts in the som tam.  It looks like you have a seafood red curry and chicken green curry, am I right?  And can you describe the Haw mok pla a bit more?

Really great, hope to see some more of these meals from you (but no pressure or anything :raz: ).

me too, I want to know more about the haw mok pla too!

I haven't looked yet but I hope you have posted on the thai cooking at home thread.

and i'm guessing your husband is a pilot....I hope that is a small commuter plane cause that space looks tiny!!!!

hehehe thanks guys, guess I am a technophobe cos I thought I had posted a reply about the haw mok but it has gone to that place where the missing socks go :rolleyes:

I made some little boxes by stapling banana leaves, then in the bottom put some shredded cabbage and a thai basil leaf (bai krapow)

Finely sliced some cod fillet, added it to coconut milk enriched with red curry paste,nam pla and shredded kaffir lime leaves, added 2 lightly beaten eggs

Steamed them in the microwave (sorry, a shortcut, but it works) for 3 mins, then spooned thickened coconut cream on top and steamed for a further 1 min.

Topped with shred of red chili and thai basil.