• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2007

rarerollingobject

Nishia: that is one gorgeous meal!! Your plates are pretty cool as well.

I second Pontormo's sentiment, anytime I'm looking for inspiration, you can find it here!

Does anyone remember a potato dish that Franci made? It had sliced potatoes layered with red radicchio and topped with a bit of raddichio salad? Its a wonderful dish and I've made a few variations on it. Last night I layered the potatoes with some red swiss chard & a touch of chorizo, then some vinegar dressed chard on top. Delicious and very pretty. However, I was serving a bunch of ragazzi (20-something-yearold-kids) and they weren't waiting for a photo session.

C. Sapidus: your meals are always so tempting. If you are interested, here is my parsnip chip recipe. Seriously addictive.

Hello all. I'm back, having been for a week skiing in Bulgaria. It looks like everyone has just carried on getting better and better, with some amazing photographs.

I've been dying to write about the food we had. Bulgaria gave me some of the best meals I have ever eaten. Simple braised meats like beef and chicken. Sauces with mushrooms, garlic and dill. An fantastic range of salads was available at the beginning of each meal, which was closed with super rich walnut pie and Baklava, drenched in syrup.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Nishla, I love that dinner. It looks so clean and fresh but also hearty for a starch-lover like me.

Hathor your chard-potato dish sounds great. I don't remember seeing Franci's version - I must look it up.

Last night was my friend's last night here. It's always hard to say goodbye, so we decided to end her trip with another great meal. Started off by securing the cutest piece of yellowfin tuna by calling up my fish guy and having him hold it for us. When we got to the store we didn't see any other great-looking seafood so we decided to make one of my friend's specialties, a sort of sukiyaki-meets-shabu shabu. Into a flavored beef broth we dunked shiitakes, yam noodles (shirataki), scallion, bok choy, sweet potato, daikon, carrot and enoki mushrooms. Oh, and of course paper-thin slices of beef.

What a face on this guy...

gallery_41870_2503_8612.jpg

He came out of the bag looking like this, honest!

Tuna Served Two Ways, acording to personal preference; I had mine raw:

Salad of Frisee with Sesame Crusted Ahi, Citrus-Ginger Dressing

gallery_41870_2503_6153.jpg

Salad of Frisee with Sashimi, Citrus-Ginger Dressing

gallery_41870_2503_32429.jpg

Fondue

gallery_41870_2503_19169.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_72874.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_18820.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_32174.jpg

Dunking Sauces: Sesame-Peanut and Soya-Vinegar

gallery_41870_2503_21981.jpg

This is my first post to this thread and I do so with trepidation. We had Paula Wolfert's coddled pork last night and it was wonderful.

gallery_26110_4104_569760.jpg

As you can see I am not much of a photograper. I will try to improve.

This is my first post to this thread and I do so with trepidation. We had Paula Wolfert's coddled pork last night and it was wonderful.

gallery_26110_4104_569760.jpg

That is simply a great recipe, and your preparation looks wonderful.

Dianne, welcome!!! that looks very much like a wonderful dish we had while in Italy, I think some people told me that Wolfert had a recipe- what kind of beans did you use?

Thank you PercyN, annecros and little ms foodie for the kind words of welcome. I will dare to post again. little ms foodie, I used wolfert's recipe from her wonderful Slow Med. Cooking which is a book I love. I used white kidney beans because I had them.

I had a nice pork roast in the freezer as back up holiday provisions because the weather's been so beastly around here I didn't know if we'd be able to go out. Since the holidays have come and gone, it was high time to do something with the pork. Especially since I love roast pork.

Since I have a lot of ground chiles from our recent trip to New Mexico, I figured some kind of Southwestern Chile Rub was in order. I did have a recipe I wanted to follow, but I couldn't find the magazine it was in. So, as usual, I winged it :biggrin::

The pork with rub and a drizzle of olive oil, pre-roasting:

gallery_15557_2797_20491.jpg

Post roast, post rest, pre plating:

gallery_15557_2797_34508.jpg

Plated, with a sauce made from leftover rub, rum, chicken stock, honey, and butter, with avocado and sauteed zucchini and tomato:

gallery_15557_2797_9251.jpg

And there are lots of leftovers for sandwiches tomorrow!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

It looks wonderful - between your dinner and the wonderful things I've heard about this recipe I'm going to have to make a point of giving it a try!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Yesterday was my dad's b'day, so I made a big dinner for family and friends (and then it sleets/rains/freezes/snows, so it turns out we made lots of leftovers!). 2 briskets - one with a sweet, brown sugar and orange peel dry rub and one with a spicy, herby rub - creamed peas, slow braised green beans and bacon, my aunt made a TON of mashed potatoes to which we added cheese and sour cream and garlic, and I baked a Guiness chocolate cake with a ganache icing. I ate so much, I was still WAY too full when I went to bed 4 hours after dinner and then couldn't sleep! :wacko: (but it was worth it - soooo good!)

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

fellow eG'ers Della, Adiabatic & TallDrinkOfWater and I made a nice dinner the other night out of the Rover's cookbook

I started things off with Soft Scrambled Eggs with Lime Creme Fraiche and white sturgeon Caviar- it's always my favorite thing at the restaurant!

359002549_dd01b3ae7a.jpg

Della made her first ever brioche- this one had thyme in it

359002544_c1fb5b130b.jpg

and was used as the base of this wonderful Crab Salad with basil oil

359002556_2ef5272203.jpg

next up they made butter poached scallops with lemon confit

359002563_6cee5074fb.jpg

As a group effort we assembled oxtail with potato puree with seared foie gras and quail egg- the clear winner of the evening

359002569_a93dcea4ca.jpg

for dessert TallDrinkOfWater made orange panna cotta with pomegranate sorbet and a tuile cookie

359002573_8f38bf5c14.jpg

yes- we were full! Della feel free to talk more about the fab dishes you guys made!

Wendy, what a dinner spread! I love the scrambled eggs with caviar photo. The scallops, the crab... oooh everything looks so good. Even the fried quail egg with its crispy lacy underside with the yolk kept runny. Perfection!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Marcia, that pork looks delicious. I've been experimenting with pork lately and that may have to be my next adventure....any more info you can provide on how you did that?

Wendy, lovely lovely pictures...lucky dinner guests too.