• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Making stuffed cabbage (golabki) on a lazy Sunday.

Mmm, made me crave stuffed cabbage (we call them golubtsy in Russia), my mom's ultimate Sunday dish...

Great dinners, everyone! I'm finally reunited with my gas stove, what with all these evacuations and all - thinking about actually cooking something... right after I carry all those potted plants back out on the deck :smile:.

No pictures from last night because after taking the frying pan with the steaks out of the oven I promptly grabbed the handle....the steaks didnt fall or anything :shock: hand is fine too.

So Dinner was a beautifull Ribsteak

(that was going to be split between me and my husband as steak eggs benedict with asparagus and hollandaise)

and some skirt steak I found in the freezer when the child came home, served with biscuts, mashed butternut squash, and asparagus with hollandaise.

I had to feed her something good being it was her birthday and all :biggrin:

T

oh yeah cake too

gallery_23695_426_10079.jpg

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

No pictures from last night because after taking the frying pan with the steaks out of the oven I promptly grabbed the handle....the steaks didnt fall or anything :shock:  hand is fine too.

So Dinner was a beautifull Ribsteak

(that was going to be split between me and my husband  as steak eggs benedict with asparagus and hollandaise)

and some skirt steak I found in the freezer when the child came home, served with biscuts, mashed butternut squash, and asparagus with hollandaise.

I had to feed her something good being it was her birthday and all :biggrin:

T

oh yeah cake too

gallery_23695_426_10079.jpg

awwwwwwwwwwwww.......that's a great cake!!

Staying with the Southern Table Cookbook.. I made a quail salad, the codfish in clam chowder, and a strawberry mascarpone tart..

Crostini with mascarpone, baby arugula,bacon, white pepper and cauliflower

gallery_15057_1519_295971.jpg

Quail salad.. Baby Arugula with sherry vinegarette, egg, bacon, and fried breast and legs de-boned..

gallery_15057_1519_498304.jpg

Pan fried cod fish served over clam chowder with yukon gold potato and chevril..

gallery_15057_1519_857853.jpg

His strawberry marscapone tarte.. The crust was really simple and super buttery, only had it sit for an hour before baking it.. Made a strawberry jam and put it over the orange marscapone, then put a glaze over the strawberrys.. Very good and so simple..

gallery_15057_1519_386530.jpg

Really starting to like this cookbook a lot, however with the left over cod, I see fish tacos in my near future..

Edited by Daniel (log)

The quail salad and mascarpone tart look delicious! Looks like I need to add the Southern Table cookbook to my Amazon list!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Tonight was penne with sausage and broccoli rabe. Not bad - I think it had a little too much broccoli rabe, which made the whole thing overly bitter. On the side, a small salad (tomatoes, cukes, onions and yellow pepper), and in the glass, a single-serving bottle of Cava. Yum!

gallery_26775_1623_457904.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Staying with the Southern Table Cookbook.. I made a quail salad, the codfish in clam chowder, and a strawberry mascarpone tart..

Crostini with mascarpone, baby arugula,bacon, white pepper and cauliflower

gallery_15057_1519_295971.jpg

That is one big crostino! Maybe we should call it a crostone... [chuckle]

The stuff from that meal ain't road food. Are you gradually turning into a fancy gourmet on us? :wink:

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks SG..... quick question...... did you mince the chicken yourself or buy pre-minced/ground chicken? I have a fair amount of familiarity with pre-ground/minced turkey... use it for my own bastardized version of picadillo, all the time. Would likely prefer to use something pre-ground/minced but would also like to know what you did :biggrin:

And back to dinner :biggrin:

Tonight I made:

Turkey (pre-ground/minced) and fennel ragu served over whole wheat penne (As a side note.... original recipe came from Cooking Light - March 03, and used ground pork instead of ground turkey)

Sautéed broccoli with garlic and lemon

A couple of pieces of Vivani organic dark chocolate with orange...

yummmmm!

^ sugarcookie.... your meal looks great!  Do you have a recipe that you can share for the Thai chicken balls?

Of course!

2 lbs chicken, minced (I used boneless skinless breasts)

1 cup dry bread crumbs

4 green onions, sliced

1 tablespoon Bangkok Blend from Penzey's (if you have it) or ground coriander

1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/4 cup sweet chili sauce, plus extra for dipping!

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

oil for frying

Heat oven to 350°

1 In a large bowl, mix together the chicken and bread

crumbs. Season with green onion, ground coriander, cilantro,

chili sauce and lemon juice; mix well.

2 Using damp hands, form mixture into evenly shaped balls

that are either small enough to eat with your fingers, or

large enough to use as burgers.

3 Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the

chicken balls in batches until well browned all over.

Bake on a foil or parchment lined cookie sheet for 15 minutes or until cooked through.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

PeaSoup-Sorbet1.jpg

PeaSoup-Sorbet2.jpg

PeaSoup-Sorbet4.jpg

I've been trying to do this for 2 weeks ever since the Roasted Califlower thread. :biggrin:

Baby pea soup with carrots and Applewood smoked bacon finished with a tablespoon of heavy cream and a carrot rose for garnish.The sorbet was (ate it all!) Manderine Orange with fresh ginger. Garnished with chrysantheum flowers and leaves.I thought the combination of flavors was a lucky pairing of sweet and salty.

Next time I'd like to add a bread or bisquit product.

This should be titled what we DID'NT cook! I spotted this at the grocery last week and had to get a shot. I did not buy it, cook, it or finance it. :shock: At BiLo no less. I so miss Whole Foods and butcher shops.

RibRoast.jpg:sad:

A big green salad with Genoa, ham, red peppers, cheese, really good dressing my sister brings me from Florida ("Sauce for Salade")

Toasted potato rolls with my mom's garlic butter (lots of garlic salt :shock: , lots of butter)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Sunday:

Braised chicken with creamy onions and country ham (recipe from Wolfert's "Slow Mediterranean Kitchen"). Absolutly lovely and deliciouse dish.

Served it with creamy mashed potatoes

gallery_5404_94_24130.jpg

Dessert: Almond and Hazelnut cake (no yolks, no butter and fantastic - recipe from Marcella Hazan's "essentials..." for Almond cake ). served with homemade Vanilla ice cream and chcocolate hazelnut sauce.

Monday:

Pizza. Homemade tomato dough, raw tomato sauce, spinach, cheese.

gallery_5404_94_764387.jpg

Last night:

Sauteed Milanesa beef steak with garlic, lime juice , Worcere..., beer and pepper. Served with white rice tomato and avocadoes.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks SG..... quick question......  did you mince the chicken yourself or buy pre-minced/ground chicken?  I have a fair amount of familiarity with pre-ground/minced turkey... use it for my own bastardized version of picadillo, all the time.  Would likely prefer to use something pre-ground/minced but would also like to know what you did  :biggrin:

Ground chicken should be just fine. I had some chicken breasts in the fridge that I needed to use up, and when I couldn't find the blade for the Cuisinart, I just minced it up with a knife. That sucked. My knife sucks, and it sure didn't help my carpal tunnel. :angry:

This meal made me realize that I a) need a Wusthof, and b) need a job that can afford me such things.

Tonight my suitest made fish tacos.. Funny enough, as I stated last night, I was going to make tacos with the remaining cod I had.. This morning, as I went to leave my building, my doorman handed me a bag of blue corn tortillas.. This was completely unexpected and never discussed.. Must be fate..

Cholula Tortilla I guess?

718-832-8236??

gallery_15057_1393_1017186.jpg

She made beer battered twice fried cod and a lime corn salad, with red onion, cilantro and jalapeno.. You can also see my home made pickled jalapeno and carrot salad, and some cut up cabbage.., And of course a little sangri-utz :rolleyes:

gallery_15057_1393_622593.jpg

Here is a close up of the corn salad.. Really refreshing and pretty..

gallery_15057_1393_66694.jpg

The taco was awesome.. I cant think of a better sauce for fish tacos then Sriracha and sour cream.. Such a great combo!!! .. Best fish taco I have ever had..

gallery_15057_1393_524811.jpg

Lovely..

gallery_15057_1393_319144.jpg

For dessert she made a coconut flan.. More of a pudding then a flan.. Call it what you want.. It was great.. Had a little crust and then was soft puddin under neef.

gallery_15057_1393_826472.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

We had berry cobbler. A mix of blackberries from our local farms in July, which we froze, and store bought frozen raspberries. Made a "coulis" of sorts. Here's the mix and a look at the size and beauty of our raspberries:

gallery_24065_1826_190842.jpg

gallery_24065_1826_173580.jpg

The yummy topping:

gallery_24065_1826_401957.jpg

Here it is with whipped heavy cream and powdered sugar:

gallery_24065_1826_215528.jpg

Ribs! Mmmmmm, oink, oink.

Changes: Instead of 1 tsp. ground cumin as the only spice, I used 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1/2 tsp. ground coriander, 1 tsp. Mom's garam masala, and 1/2 tsp. chile powder (the nice, hot Indian kind). Used country-style ribs instead of baby-backs. The sauce didn't thicken up in the oven, so I de-fatted it, added some mirin and rice vinegar, and boiled it down to a glaze. Shredded the ribs in the meantime (there were only five, and I wanted to stretch this out), poured the glaze over the shreds, and we had some pulled oink.

Served with rice and my sister's sambar (lentils)--rice and sambar is usually how we stretch meat in our house. This time it was ribs, but when I was growing up, my mother would use leftover KFC (!!!--I know, I know, but that skin tasted soooo good with sambar). Now, we use pollo a la brasa from our local Dominican restaurants--perfect, long-lasting, and pretty healthy!

Next up, buffalo wings and sambar. :raz:

Tonight we started with a sherry tasting at the local wine shop then brought friends home for the following meal:

Sgroppinos while they waited for the soup to heat

Starter: Asparagus soup and Desem wheat bread

Main: Roast duck legs with a chantrelle sauce and a side of fresh green-beans

all accompanied by the remaining prosecco

For dessert: Mini sock-it-to-me bundt cakes

Peach and Rose-geranium sorbet :wub:

impromptu dessert drink: "kir italien" (creme de cassis and another bottle of prosecco)

and of course, pleasant company to add savor to the meal :smile:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

September 1st I posted a menu which was served to friends. It had been a test-dinner for the cooking contest "Koch Olymp" which is announced every year in April since 1999. The dish " Grilled monkfisch with mashed potatoes on star aniseed souce" won the regional contest of Southern Germany. Now I'm allowed to present the dish in the German TV Show "ARD-Buffet". It's a life show and I've to prepare the dish within 45 minutes.

The winning recipe.

gallery_23358_1644_71546.jpg

and the winner

gallery_23358_1644_1085570.jpg

Edited by legourmet (log)

H.B. aka "Legourmet"