• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Dinner tonight, thanks to a suggestion from little ms foodie, was was fromage forte on Essential Bakery's Desem loaf. So good!

Paired with a glass of the same white burgundy used in the fromage and a salad of fresh heirloom tomato and sweet green pepper both from the farmers market, just drizzled with olive oil & salt.

We were going to have leftover sorbet for dessert, but ended up eating more fresh tomato instead!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

That is quite the sandwich!

Last night we had a picnic:

Hummus with tomatoes and pita

Sauteed Snowpeas with garlic

Pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, basil, olives, onion, balsamic etc.

Flank steak sandwiches (for the meat eaters)

Kahlua Blondies courtesy of eGRA

(Sierra Nevadas all around)

Paula Deen's tomato pie, similar to my Aunt Nancy's except Paula uses scallions instead of Vidalias, and of course mixes the cheddar & mozzarella with ONE CUP of MAYONNAISE.

It was awesome.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Yesterday's dinner.

Lobster, arugula and avocado salad. The lobster was 2 lbs, and came to $25.00, the arugula was Jersey Fresh, and the potato chips were Lays. The wine was a chardonnay from one of the eye level bins. I usually buy chardonnay from the ankle level bins.The name began GRO, but I can't remember the rest. The bottle is already out in the recycling bin, as is the bottle of Pinot Noir left over from Sunday. I had what little was left in that with dessert - Point Reyes blue cheese.

Since I still have some arugula left, tonights dinner is a salad of ham, arugula, and aged Gouda . I may throw in some walnuts.

gallery_7869_302_1094135.jpg

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Sunday evening, 100-degree day, actually 98 I think but still, experimentally bunged a couple of tri-tips on the old Weber rotisserie for the first time. (Tri-tips we have historically grilled.) Turned out to be a very good method.

The meat was destined to be thinly sliced and used in tacos. Fresh green salsa, corn tortillas heated on the grill stacked wrapped in foil to fully steam, homemade refried beans, & c. Cactus salad.

Coupla icy margaritas for the adults, an attempt at temperature adjustment.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Yesterday it was 107° (it'll be in the 100's all week) and I didn't cook and won't the rest of this week, if I can help it.

Last night I had microwaved hot dogs, store-bought potato salad and various crudite.

Howcha magowcha, it's hot! :sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Percyn, wonderful pictures.  Especially love the salmon pinwheels.  Alinka, I was craving comfort food tonight too.  We had what I always call Diner food.  Hot chicken Sandwiches with homemade fries and canned peas.  One of my favourite restaurants when I was young always served canned peas with their hot chicken sandwiches so it is a tradition. 

28923137-M.jpg

Wow, your homemade fries look absolutely delicious (and nothing like my own homemade version :cool: ). What method do you use to get them to come out that beautifully?

We had Texas-style chilli made in the slow-cooker. Beefy. Very beefy.

gallery_23736_355_17067.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Wow, your homemade fries look absolutely delicious (and nothing like my own homemade version  ). What method do you use to get them to come out that beautifully?

Thanks Tupac, I don't do anything special other than to use Russet potatoes and to soak them in cold water for 20 to 40 minutes and then dry them really well. Since there is only two of us I just cut them by hand rather than getting out the mandoline. Oh and I use a cast iron Dutch Oven on top of the stove to fry in.

Ann

While looking for some new ideas for rubs in my new Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling & Barbecue, I came across a "recipe" for Beer Can Roast Chicken. I've read about this before, but never tried it. As I was already smoking some chickens, this was the perfect opportunity to use up some of the leftover coals.

gallery_16561_1041_32323.jpg

"Resting" Roast Chicken

gallery_16561_1041_23066.jpg

Its "Perch" (I would have rather had the Stella to drink, but it was all I had in can form)

gallery_16561_1041_52630.jpg

Beer Can Roast Chicken, Roasted New BC Potatoes w/ Taragon (from our garden), and Collards Sauted with Bacon

The chicken was AMAZING. Easily the moistest, most flavourful chicken I've ever done. This was also my first attempt at collards, so Varmint & Mayhaw and any other Southerners can:

a) rejoice at the fact that collards have found another friend in the North, and

b) be kind to me if it looks like I cooked them wrong.

Wine was a La Vielle Ferme Rosé.

A.

A small plate of appetizers for a small gathering before the Vancouver/Western Canada Burger Club Eating

gallery_16561_1041_16725.jpg

Crab Cakes with Roasted & Smoked Red Pepper Aioli

The criss-cross garnish is garlic chives from the local Farmers' Market. Peppers were smoke while smoking the previously mentioned chicken.

A.

^Damn! Can't believe I missed those!

My friend has a bunch of beers leftover from our BBQ awhile back, and I convinced him to do the beer-can chicken thing too! Can't wait to try that.

Last night's dinner was appie pie. I had leftover pastry dough so I decorated my pie with pastry leaves.

pie1.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

Daddy-A

Wow! Look at that chicken! :blink::biggrin:

Ann_T

I've never heard of hot chicken sandwiches. Looks very comfort-food-y :smile:

In the spirit of the recent shrimp trend here, I cooked it tonight, too. I got the recipe from a friend. She calls it Shrimp Gaspacho: shrimp is sauteed in olive oil with garlic, then mixed with slightly sauteed fresh tomatoes, red and green bell pepper, onion, and cucumber. Add a little champaigne vinegar, saffron, red pepper flakes, and fresh cilantro, and you have yourself delicious and easy summer dinner! I thought saffron was just perfect there.

ShrimpGazpachocopy-vi.jpg

(I'm having so much fun with this dinner discussion that you guys make me cook every night! :smile:)

Thanks Tupac, I don't do anything special other than to use Russet potatoes and to soak them in cold water for 20 to 40 minutes and then dry them really well. Since there is only two of us I just cut them by hand rather than getting out the mandoline. Oh and I use a cast iron Dutch Oven on top of the stove to fry in.

Ann

Thanks, Ann. I'll have to try soaking them, never tried that before.

Tonight's dinner:

A 5 minute throw-together-stuff-I-feel-eating kind of meal. Chopped broccoli sauteed with roasted garlic, herb polenta heated on the griddle, sliced prosciutto di parma, sliced fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatoes fresh from our garden, toasted pine nuts, and of course some extra virgin olive oil drizzled over everything. :cool:

gallery_18974_1420_908544.jpg

Dessert: Nutella panino, bananas caramelized in butter and brown sugar, vanilla ice cream. Not a good picture, but it sure was tasty :smile:

gallery_18974_1420_953186.jpg

Daddy A too funny! we have beer can chicken on the menu for thurs night, we learned it last year from friends!

Tonight pork loin chops marinated overnight in EVOO, red onion, lemon and rosemary grilled with lemon spaghetti using fresh noodles from our farmers market. Bethel Heights Pinot Blanc in the glass. Eaten outside again! yeah! :biggrin:

gallery_16100_1_275386.jpg

Patrick,

I might be wrong but I remember you making a chili awhile back.. Was it Cinci style last time?? Which recipe is better? What are some of the toppings or sides you throw on the texas style? Is that corn in the background?

My uncle asked me to cater his 65th bday for 14. It was a good day. The food wasn't stunningly original, but it went down well. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to photograph the main dish, a rack of salt marsh lamb with provencal veg and jus, or the dessert (which didn't go to plan anyway). But here are a few of the others.

salmon with red onion echire craime fraiche and russian caviar

gallery_8259_153_44769.jpg

warm lobster salad on avocado, with a citronette, pangratato, and pistachios (adapted from a manresa dish)

gallery_8259_153_71289.jpg

macaroons...

gallery_8259_153_89480.jpg

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Dinner with friends last night:

gallery_21505_358_12392.jpg

fava bean puree with mint and parmesan, slowroast garlic tomatoes, aged dutch cheese (Remeker)

gallery_21505_358_21856.jpg

fried chicken (the second time ever I made fried chicken!); cornbread with chiles, cheddar and fresh corn, served with chipotle butter; and a salad of potatoes, beetroot & ham, with a horseradish-chive dressing

gallery_21505_358_6702.jpg

rhubarb and moscatowine jelly pudding. This is a Nigella Lawson recipe and it was just fantastic.. I served it with some thin cream to pour over and the 4 of us ate the entire thing!

Patrick,

I might be wrong but I remember you making a chili awhile back.. Was it Cinci style last time?? Which recipe is better? What are some of the toppings or sides you throw on the texas style? Is that corn in the background?

I don't know if I like either of them better than the other. I like that Texas chili has big chunks of chuck as opposed to 'blanched' ground beef. Spice-wise, the Texas style has only chili powder and cumin, in addition to fresh and smoked chilis, so the flavor is not as complex as the Cinci style. The Texas chili is very thick, more like a stew than a soup. Toppings and sides: I put sharp cheddar on mine, but I think jack cheese goes as good or better. The best side with Texas chili, IMHO, is corn bread or corn fritters or "skillet corn". I was too lazy/busy to make them, though, so we plain corn. Beans are popular sides too, as are rice and thick tortilla chips.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

All I can say is that everyone's meals look fantastic!

...Same from me.

Chufi, I can never get my slow-roasted tomatoes to look like yours!

Thanks for the compliments about the looks of the Muffuletta we had the other night. I love this particular recipe; it's really tasty especially when the tomatoes are good, the arugula is fresh, and the onions are sweet!

I've been posting on this thread for so long, I'm trying to remember not to post photos of repeat dinners. So last night I didn't take pictures of the pan roasted chicken thighs, microwave baked potatoes, green beans, and salad.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.