• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

A nice night in Seattle so we grilled shrimp and then made a nice lemon dill butter for them. Also grilled WallaWalla Sweet Onions and served everything on a big platter of orzo salad with feta, red onion, kidney beans and olives. JKCarriere 'Glass' in the glass (pinot noir rose)

gallery_16100_231_303503.jpg

just made a batch of mulligatawny soup which can be served at room temperature. some grilled bread and salad. cheese board for dessert.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

... cauliflower in a cream sauce (actually made with chicken broth) ...

First, welcome, and second, could you explain the cauliflower (does it actually have cream?), everything looks good!

I've been doing a lot of cooking recently but have been too busy to post.

Yesterday I made my first foray into Korean with bibimbob!

I used a wonderful nutty red rice, lettuces, carrots, mushrooms, sprouts, sesame oil, shredded leftover filet mignon, egg, and strips of nori.

Tonight will be Cordovan gazpacho and pimento cheese sandwiches by request.

... cauliflower in a cream sauce (actually made with chicken broth) ...

First, welcome, and second, could you explain the cauliflower (does it actually have cream?), everything looks good!

I used just chicken broth this time although in the past I have used both chicken broth and cream for a richer sauce. Trying to be a little bit careful because DH's cholesterol has gone up.

No recipe really, just a roux , chicken broth and a garlic clove simmered in the sauce but remove it before adding some fresh grated parmesan cheese and mixing in the steamed cauliflower. Pour mixture into a small oven proof casserole and top with some buttered breadcrumbs and bake until hot and golden.

Ann

Crab Salsa Salad - Tomato, lime, avacado, red onions, spring onions and bell pepper

gallery_21049_162_76160.jpg

BBQ Chicken and Pork Chops

gallery_21049_162_30376.jpg

Sausage, Grilled Asparagus, and some left over beef ribs

gallery_21049_162_39526.jpg

Unfortunately some people got to the food before I could get to it with a camera :raz:

Edited to add: Oh, we also had some 80/20 and buffalo burgers and my new favorite, peanut butter burgers.

Edited by percyn (log)

I've been reading and drooling over this thread for a while, but have just learned how to get my pics off of my camera without having to wait for my husband to do it. Anyway, I'd like to share a few recent dinners of mine if you don't mind...

Tilapia with Coconut Mint Relish (Cooking Light) and Mango Salad (thanks Chris!)

gallery_18558_1_612186.jpg

Tilapia with Creamy Mustard Sauce (I think... CL), mixed wheat berries, and Spring Peas with Pancetta (also CL)

gallery_18558_1_633387.jpg

with Sparkling Fruit Gelees (CL) for dessert... this is made with champagne - very good!

gallery_18558_1_884005.jpg

Sweet Orange Salmon (CL) with green salad and rice mix

gallery_18558_1_240412.jpg

Last night was Aloo Gobi. Green Salad with Tropical Fruit and Creamy Yogurt Curry Dressing served on the side. I forgot to take pictures, but we'll have the leftovers tonight, so I'll get a picture then.

nan

I said that I was going to make it a goal to take pictures of my next dinner party meal so here it is -Spring Dinner Party for 8 last night, some eG folks, some not.......pictures taken by my husband who did a fab job!

Started with Moet & Chandon White Star Champagen and Parmesean Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse at the door

gallery_16100_231_91701.jpg

At table an amuse bouche of asparagus terrine with Bucheron sauce, also served with the above champagne

gallery_16100_231_134429.jpg

1st course- Cucumber soup with Dungeness crab and avocado oil

gallery_16100_231_34465.jpg

2nd course- Scallops with melted leeks and tarragon caper butter

gallery_16100_231_138962.jpg

both served with Domaine Bois de Boursan Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc 2004

3rd course- homemade Spinach Fettuccine with peas and bacon served with a fried squash blossom as garnish

gallery_16100_231_37743.jpg

4th course Top Sirloin in red wine sauce with sauteed morels

(this is the only course he forgot to get a picture of, not bad!!)

Both courses served with Artesa Cab Sauv Reserve Napa Valley 2000

Dessert- strawberry & champagne terrine with creme fraiche served with Inniskillin Dark Horse Estate Vineyard Okanagan Ice Wine 2003

gallery_16100_231_38129.jpg

espresso

Cognac, Maderia and DiSerano

I said that I was going to make it a goal to take pictures of my next dinner party meal so here it is -Spring Dinner Party for 8 last night, some eG folks, some not.......pictures taken by my husband who did a fab job!

Started with Moet & Chandon White Star Champagen and Parmesean Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse at the door

gallery_16100_231_91701.jpg

Looks and sounds fabulous! What lucky dinner guests!

So tell me... how did you shape the Parmesan crisps (before or after baking)?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I'd like to know more about the Parmesan Crisps too. Do they work well with other cheeses in the centre?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

:biggrin: Parmesan crisps are simple grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, formed freehand or in ring molds, on a cookie sheet lined with Silpat (not stick mat).

350 degrees til they melt, spatula to remove and bend them quickly by hand or as I do, with a shot glass. Harden very fast. Pop in goat cheese, creme fraiche with caviar, chopped raw tuna. Whatever... Very nice pix

I'd like to know more about the Parmesan Crisps too.  Do they work well with other cheeses in the centre?

:biggrin:  Parmesan crisps are simple grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, formed freehand or in ring molds, on a cookie sheet lined with Silpat (not stick mat).

350 degrees til they melt, spatula to remove and bend them quickly by hand or as I do, with a shot glass. Harden very fast. Pop in goat cheese, creme fraiche with caviar, chopped raw tuna. Whatever... Very nice pix

I'd like to know more about the Parmesan Crisps too.  Do they work well with other cheeses in the centre?

what AK said

:smile:

these are from The French Laundry cookbook. we used egg cartons to shape. The goat cheese mousse is a blend of fresh chevre, cream, parsley, s&p.

You can make larger parm bowls by using a small non stick pan like for omelets. Then once the parm starts to brown turn them out over a bowl. Use them for salads, yum!!! Or leave them flat and serve them on salad or with soup

:biggrin:  Parmesan crisps are simple grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, formed freehand or in ring molds, on a cookie sheet lined with Silpat (not stick mat).

what AK said

:smile:

these are from The French Laundry cookbook. we used egg cartons to shape. The goat cheese mousse is a blend of fresh chevre, cream, parsley, s&p.

You can make larger parm bowls by using a small non stick pan like for omelets. Then once the parm starts to brown turn them out over a bowl. Use them for salads, yum!!! Or leave them flat and serve them on salad or with soup

Egg cartons!!! What a neat trick!!! :laugh:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

i am definitely making some parmesan basket thingies tomorrow evening! (sometimes i just make somethign nice and take it around the house...delivering to brother, mom, dad, and sometimes dog!)

tonight was pad thai with stir fried squash, red pepper, and fresh sugar snap peas. nectarines with sweet whipped cream for dessert.

I"m new here. I've been in a cooking funk for a while, but it looks like I have plenty of new things to inspire me! All of the pictures look delicious.

little ms foodie, your dinner party sounds amazing.

Pizza made w/ Peter Reinhart's Neo-neopolitan pizza dough, very carmelized onions with garlic, fontina cheese, and topped with fresh rosemary and parmesan as it came out of the oven.

Very crisp like I like pizza and very tasty!

f388de38.jpg

Edited by jjsooner (log)

Do you have to line the egg cartons with anything? It seems like hot cheese would stick to cardboard.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

:biggrin: The Egg carton trick is great. No need to line as the hot circle of cheese is placed on the hole that had the egg, push it into the hole, and count to three. Its done, remove and put on a plate. Already hard and done. Takes five to ten seconds each, not really a dozen at a time, do one at a time quickly. Good idea.

Do you have to line the egg cartons with anything? It seems like hot cheese would stick to cardboard.

Edited by AK@Spicehouse (log)

:biggrin: The Egg carton trick is great. No need to line as the hot circle of cheese is placed on the hole that had the egg, push it into the hole, and count to three. Its done, remove and put on a plate. Already hard and done. Takes five to ten seconds each, not really a dozen at a time, do one at a time quickly. Good idea.

Doesn't that seem...unclean, unsanitary? I think I recall reading in a cookbook something about eggshells being bacteria ridden, so that it would follow that their containers would be as well. Or am I just being anal? :)

First summer dinner all made with fresh herbs/chiles from our garden: pan roasted chicken breasts with prosciutto and fresh sage, lemon/chicken broth pan sauce; beautiful fresh green beans marinated in herb-steeped red wine vinegar with red onion and garlic, finished with EVOO; fresh corn off the cob sauteed in butter with serrano chiles topped with fresh basil. A few Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes on the side. Cheap chardonnay.

God that was a good dinner.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Doesn't that seem...unclean, unsanitary? I think I recall reading in a cookbook something about eggshells being bacteria ridden, so that it would follow that their containers would be as well. Or am I just being anal? :)

The molten hot cheese takes care of the bacteria :raz: