• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Is Cincinnati-style chili without beans?

Yes, there are no beans in the chili itself, but they are often added on top. A four-way chili is the three-way with onions, and the five-way is the four-way with beans.

Cool, thanks for the added info. I think we should have Cinncinnati-style at least four-way, next time we make chili. Are you reading this, Prepcook? :smile:

Yes, NYTexan. I would name that Essence of Summer Salad. Nice!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Yes, there are no beans in the chili itself, but they are often added on top. A four-way chili is the three-way with onions, and the five-way is the four-way with beans.

What MAKES it Cincinnati style? Is it cinnamony like Skyline? I mentioned this once in another thread, and the "YUM'S" resounded. Still can't get a taste for all the cinnamon.

I'm pretty sure Cincinnati style = cinnamon. I've never been big on cinnamon myself, but I love Cincinnati style chili... It's amazing how seemingly odd combinations like that can taste so good (at least to some people).

Awesome pictures on this page...

What MAKES it Cincinnati style? Is it cinnamony like Skyline? I mentioned this once in another thread, and the "YUM'S" resounded. Still can't get a taste for all the cinnamon.

Cinnamon, allspice and a little cocoa (not to mention the usual chili seasonings, like garlic, chili powder, etc.).

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

But we also had roasted smashed potatoes Chufi style and bruschetta with it. 

hey Susan, I think you make Chufi style roast potatoes more often than Chufi does!! :biggrin:

dinner tonight:

grilled slices of aubergine, topped with tomato, mozzarella and homemade pesto

gallery_21505_358_28624.jpg

pasta with double shelled fresh broad beans, with mint and goatscheese. Served lukewarm because it's hot here!

gallery_21505_358_14831.jpg

dessert: fresh pineapple with mint-sugar (idea from Jamie Oliver, simple but fantastic!)

gallery_21505_358_13687.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

friday night - pb & jelly on toast :blink:

saturday night - one bag of smart beat popcorn with grated asiago and parmesan :huh:

sunday night - kashi tlc crackers with cheese :shock:

tonight - leftover meatloaf, garden peas and garlic mashed potatoes :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tonight I conquered my food archnemesis: potato gnocchi. Normally I make a gloopy glooey mess but after watching Lidia's Italy, and watching her show what the texture of the dough should be, I was able to replicate it for myself.

IMG_1079.jpg

So in addition to the gnocchi, we had sauteed broccoli and roasted pork loin. The holes in the pork loin are from the probe thermometer I used.

IMG_1086.jpg

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Pork chops, dry-rubbed and cured for 8 hours, seared and then braised with wine, topped with a sauce made mostly with the wine reduction (finished with butter 'n cream, mmmmm).Not sure I will braise pork chops again--I think they are too lean for good braising, but then my spouse said he thought they were the best pork chops I'd ever made. Hmm.

Farm market salad, local organic greens and greenhouse cucumbers

Decaf coffee with cream

Boned Quail stuffed with a mixture of Pork fillet, cream, mushrooms and some shallot. I served it with an apple dressing/sauce made by boiling 2 chopped apples with some sugar and cider vinegar. Unfortunately I completed neglected to think about what I would serve this with so ended up with a small salad and some dried apple slices.

gallery_895_976_61193.jpg

Sea Bass with a salad of new potatoes, asparagus, fresh peas, baby roasted pepper with EVOO. Should have served the sea bass skin side up :rolleyes:

gallery_895_976_36699.jpg

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Sunday: Eleven at table for Garlic-Thyme roasted chickens, dismembered and laid gently onto Portabella pilaf; cool Asparagus with a mustardy mayonnaise; sweet corn casserole with scallions; salad of kidney beans, boiled eggs, Vidalias with sweet mayo dressing; salad of butter lettuce, red onion, dried cranberries and mandarins with lime vinaigrette; variety of cheesecakes. After-dinner entertainment by 13-year old cousin with a banjo--Genius child.

Monday: Three houseguests remaining for tender-grilled babyback ribs, baked potato casserole with sourcream, butter, three cheeses and green onions; crusty baked beans with applewood-smoked sausages sliced in; thin Vidalia sandwiches; thick tomato sandwiches; strawberries, Ricotta/Turbinado dip and small waffle-cones of ice cream out on the patio with the fireflies and windchimes. Lazy, late conversation and peeks through the telescope at the golden moon.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is aubergine?  Looks a lot like eggplant to me, but I've never heard of it.

Aubergine is the French word for eggplant; also used as the word for eggplant in the restaurants the last time I visited London. You'll also see courgettes used to describe zucchini.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is aubergine?  Looks a lot like eggplant to me, but I've never heard of it.

Aubergine is the French word for eggplant; also used as the word for eggplant in the restaurants the last time I visited London. You'll also see courgettes used to describe zucchini.

Cool. Thanks for the info. :cool:

Not summer-hot, but warm. Tostadas for dinner, flour tortillas with homemade refried beans and carnitas and green salsa, finely shredded cabbage, chopped tomatoes, cheese, crema. Splash of vinegar for the man of the house, who likes that on his tostada. Icy beer; mineral water for the under-21 set.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I wish I had a digital camer but then I would get soo fat cooking and taking pictures for you all...anyway have not cooked for awhile though did last night sort of (also am back on egullet alot thanks to wireless internet and broken tv)

anyway...stopped by the newest ubergourmet spot here in Phila DiBrunos super store..it's great for Philly (though I continue to long for fairway, gourmet garage and dean & deluca) to pick something up and got a roasted chicken and a petit crottin marinated in truffle oil, then stopped at the fruit store (was away for the weekend and missed the farmers market, damn!!) & got baby arugula, figs, haricot verts & fingerlings

Anyway here's what I made

Seared Crottin & Figs overs Baby Arugula with honey/lemon evoo dressing,

The wings, skin (which I crisped up) and one drumstick from the chicken

Fingerling potatoes steamed then sliced and browned in a mixture of the schmaltz left in the pan after crisping the chicken skin and left over truffle oil from searing the chese

Steamed haricot verts with lemon

glass of viogner

half a wonka bar

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Recent highlights:

Black pepper pappardelle with turnips and pancetta (a la Babbo)

you must try making black pepper pasta, it's so good!

Spring Vegetable Saute:

asparagus, artichoke hearts, baby turnips, baby carrots, sugarsnaps and favas

I would've added morels if I could afford them

Balsamic Strawberries over Ricotta Cheese (sweetened with xxx sugar and kirsch)

Roasted Cherry and Goat Cheese Salad with Hazelnuts (Zuni Cafe)

Blackberry and Herb Salad with Blue Cheese (used roaring 40s, mixed lettuces, spring herbs and fennel fronds)

Lemon Chess Pie

Hot here in Seattle so we sat outside and had a bottle of Pinot Gris, St Andre triple creme brie, salami, tapanade, Point Reyes Blue & smoked salmon with Parisian baguette.

Aaaah, my favorite kind of dinner...

Last night was a blazing 103 degrees here. We went swimming and noshed on cold left over roasted pork tenderloin, St. Andre triple cream brie (I LOVE that stuff!), port duck liver pate, and simple green salad dressed with EVOO and a touch of basalmic vinegar. Pairing was with a simple sparkling water...did I mention it was HOT?

I'm new to eGullet so I haven't had a chance to read all of the pages on this thread but I started on the last few pages and I'm really impressed at the wonderful meals and the photos.

Bryan your Father's Day dinner looks wonderful. Have you posted the recipe for the Wild Mushroom Napoleon?

New York Texan, your tomato salad is beautiful. I bet it tastes as good as it looks And Matthew, your sea bass is giving me ideas for the next time I cook halibut. Peas are in season here now.

Last night we had pasta with fresh clams in a cream, tomato and basil sauce.

25755999-M-1.jpg

Salad of butter lettuce, diced grilled pineapple, sunflower seeds in sesame/orange vinaigrette. Angel hair pasta two ways: In "Semi-'fredo" sauce---a mock Alfredo with whole milk, Parmesan, a bit of creamcheese, and no basil, with crabmeat and whole poached shrimp for him. And AHP dumped hot over a mixture of cold diced tomato, basil chiffonade, EVOO and shreds of Parm for me.

Tiny strawberry cones for dessert, while Takin' the A Train with Count Basie.

Ann T, wonderful photos and meals -- welcome!

Dinner tonight will be tapas style for 8 in honour of a friends birthday. (Why do I get voted to cook by her every year???? Especially on a beautiful sunny day when I'd rather not be stuck in a kitchen! Okay, I lie, my life has been spent in the kitchen)

Menu:

Chicken liver and port pate with crostini

Cold shrimp and spinach spread bound with ricotta (a quick and easy fake terrine cause I got lazy last night)

Baby bocc and grape tomato salad with basil from the garden

Tiger shrimp on cucumber slices with wasabi creme fraiche and caviar

Asparagus spears with Quebec goat cheese wrapped in 24 month parma proscuitto

Chicken satay with garlic peanut sauce

Pistachio crusted rack of lamb, frenched and served individually drizzled with a demi glace, wine, dijon reduction

Black bean and mango salsa

Grilled scallops with G-d know what yet...

An odd menu that doesn't really all fit in my opinion, but these were the requests of the birthay girl.

My other half is currently trying to come up with some wines for this.....I didn't make it easy.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.