• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

"Poor Knights of Windsor" with the first of the Scottish raspberry crop (somewhat early). I love raspberries, but try not to eat them out of season. As the Scottish grown ones are so good and this makes eating them a double treat.

gallery_1643_978_665194.jpg

argh, and it's still about a month until raspberry season here … why must you tempt me? :angry::raz:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Damn, I forgot to take pictures of my Saturday dinner.

We started with artichoke hearts that were "poached" in EVOO, mint, garlic, shallots and thyme.

Homemade linguine with raw tomato, mint, green garlic, and sea salt.

Crab cakes on a salad of greens, roasted beets, avocado, pea tendrils and a key lime vinaigrette.

Haddock and chanterelles poached in a beurre fondue with sweet peas and sweet pea ravioli. This was one of the best dishes I've ever made. Why don't I cook more often with a buerre fondue???

Dessert was blackberry, blueberry and peach cobbler with homemade cinnamon ice cream.

This was a pretty darned good meal.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Friday night: "Jambalaya" (mix from some Louisiana company, not Zatarain's) with smoked turkey sausage - I added Cajun seasoning and it was too salty, even for me

Saturday night: Buttermilk/hot sauce marinated fried chicken, carrot slaw with onions, celery, raisins and tons of mayonnaise, biscuits, Sierra Nevadas

Sunday night: Ina Garten's turkey sausage lasagna - very good but I left out the goat cheese :huh:, Barbera d'Alba. Also made "Italian Beef" in the slow cooker for sandwiches tonight.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Friday night cocktails on the Daddy-A patio required some protien ...

gallery_16561_1041_143110.jpg

Cioffi's had lamb should on special, so I threw some charcoal in the chimney, fired up the grill, rubbed the lamb with basil, thyme, rosemary, cayenne, paprika, s&p ... and grilled them for about 4 minutes a side. :wub:

Cocktails were a Manhattan and a Negroni ...

A.

A small kielbasy (to fit in an 11" frying pan) from Kurowycky's heavenly butcher shop on NYC's Lower East Side, 2 lb. of their excellent sauerkraut, a VERY big onion sliced in half and stuck with several cloves, a big carrot, some juniper berries and a bit of left-over drippings, simmered for an hour in about a pint of beer.

Poor man's choucrout, and very satisfying, with plenty of leftovers.

Edited by k43 (log)

A small kielbasy (to fit in an 11" frying pan) from Kurowycky's heavenly butcher shop on NYC's Lower East Side, 2 lb. of their excellent sauerkraut, a VERY big onion sliced in half and stuck with several cloves, a big carrot, some juniper berries and a bit of left-over drippings, simmered for an hour in about a pint of beer.

Poor man's choucrout, and very satisfying, with plenty of leftovers.

Hey, we're neighbors! I hope you post more about the Lower East Side on the New York Forum.

Michael aka "Pan"

Rigatoni with Basil and Walnut Pesto made from the first generous bunch of basil picked minutes earlier from my planter herb garden. As fresh as you'd imagine.

pesto1gp.jpg

Bill Russell

Helenas, where did you get that recipe for laksa? I guess rau ram is a name for the green leaves? In what language? Is there Vietnamese laksa or something?

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, this laksa is loosely based on a recipe from Peter Gordon, new zealand chef working in London - i have couple of his books and cooked from them a lot...

this recipe is not some authentic one but sounded right and clean and tasted darn good. The flavoring included shallots, green chiles, garlic, lemongrass, anise star and fish sauce and although the recipe called for cilantro and mint i used rau ram instead - i guess it's not called laksa for nothing :smile:

Alright, I did a web search and found out that rau ram is the Vietnamese name for what's called daun laksa (laksa leaf) in Malay.

Michael aka "Pan"

OK, so it doesn't MATTER that it was 96 degrees in Paso Robles today, most of them still in my house when I got home from work..................

yesterday I was reading the Roasted Cauliflower Thread and was obsessing ...........bought a cauliflower on the way home and popped that puppy in a 400' oven after tossing with a little Trader Joe's Garlic Oil and a smidge of melted chicken fat from a roasted chick.........lots of ground pepper (fresh, of course) and kosher salt.

Chopped up some chervil and parsley, slivered some roasted chicken and ESPECIALLY the skin and made up a pot of gemelli pasta. So, here I am, rather 'warm' in this friggin' kitchen wondering if it was all going to be worth it. After all,cauliflower is a WINTER vegetable, and it was anything but frosty in that kitchen. Slipped the chicken skin in for the last 10 minutes to get crispy.........

so crispy crunchy brown cauliflower mixed with gemelli sauced with a chicken glaze, roasted chicken slivers, herbs and a teeny little bit of Parmesan TOPPED with that brittle chicken skin........... seved at room temp with a cold crisp Pinot Grigio...............

Worth it? OH YEAH ! :biggrin:

Arroz con Gandules.

Very good, haven't made this in a while. Needed a quick, all in one pot meal and this fit the bill.

No pictures though. I was too tired and ready to eat !

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Last night we had meatloaf, as part of the currently active eG Cook-Off.

Sunday night, we cooked steaks like Sam did in his and Marlene's tag team blog. With that, we had Belgian Fries with Sauce Andalouse, mushrooms, creamed spinach, and Cabernet. Wonderful, one of the best steaks and perhaps the best fries we've ever made.

gallery_13038_837_42557.jpg

gallery_13038_837_127866.jpg

Thanks, Sam!

gallery_13038_837_178371.jpg

Some other catching up:

A mixed grill of lamb, quail, and sausage, and not pictured, a side of pasta to go with it.

gallery_13038_837_63688.jpg

Friday night happy hour was at home, in front of the TV, table-cooking on the stone. With the chicken, shrimp, and beef was Bagna Cauda with spring vegetables.

gallery_13038_837_70702.jpg

gallery_13038_837_181487.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

(Carnivores avert your eyes)

Vegetarian Chili made with textured vegetable protein, onions, lots of spices and only a tiny bit of pinto beans and tomatoes smashed into it.

My friend, king of all things ground beef, approved, the tvp is not the same but it's pretty close.

Accompanied by tortilla chips, salsa, and labne standing in for sour cream.

Dessert was bought ice cream (oatmeal cookie).

Damn, y'all eat GOOD!

Ordered in pizza last night, hubby and I were not feeling well...

Sunday was Shrimp Vindaloo (from Cooking Light), eh, not a do-over. Did this with curried cauliflower and couscous (had flat bread to go with this but it was moldy- and just purchased!) the couscous was the pinch hit to take up some of that heat.

Summer dinner:

Frittata with chunks of fresh tomato, lots of thyme, a little bit of crisp smoked bacon, and cubes of soft goatscheese.

Watercress & avocado salad.

grilled Chicken scaloppini (marinated in lemon juice and chipotle in adobo sauce)

Roast broccoli (again)

While I was cooking I realized that this dinner had no carbs :shock: so I served it with some crusty bread, but it did not really need that.